Style

What are the Beauty Benefits of “Black Soap”? Lola OJ Has All the Answers | Watch

black soap thumbnail

Beauty vlogger Lola OJ is out with another video and in this one she’s answering your questions about the popular substance known as ‘black soap’.

African black soap is made from the ashes of the barks and plants that are locally harvested such as plantain, palm tree leaves and shea tree barks.

Here’s what she’s told us at BellaNaija Beauty:

I am quite vocal about my use of black soap, so it is of no surprise that many ask me what black soap I use! I sincerely love black soap and its effect on my skin but I do use different types to combat the ‘dryness/harshness’ that many seem to attribute to black soap.

Many of you have asked about black soap and its uses, to be honest black soap (though it comes mostly in shades of brown) can be used in a number of ways for a number of things.

But, though we know what black soap is, do we really know what is in black soap and the different forms it takes?

black soap photo

Things Black Soap can be used as:

• Body & face wash
  • Face mask
  • Body scrub
  • Shampoo
  • Shaving foam

Some Key Benefits:

• Helps even out skin tone – full of antioxidants and nutrients so it helps fade skin discolouration
  • To alleviate razor bumps – the shea butter content helps protect the skin
  • Treating breakouts – can help reduce inflammation and irritated skin
  • Balance out the PH levels in your skin – naturally rich in Vitamin A and E with natural cleanses plus iron
  • Rejuvenate tough skin – the ashes in the black soap have great exfoliating properties to help remove dead skin

black soap images

In this video you can learn about the ‘many faces’ of black soap, how I use it and how it reacts with water and the skin!

Please note, we all have different skin types and may take to products differently, this is how I find black soap for my skin which is ‘combination’ skin.

Please note, I use black soap alternately between my other skincare products and that seems to be the most effective way, as the black soap never gets too used to my skin so never loses its effectiveness.

If you have oily skin, black soap should work wonders! If you have dry skin it can also work wonders but ensure you add a good moisturiser into the mix and do not use as often.

I hope this helps!

Watch the Video:

Eki is the Editor for BellaNaija Style and Lifestyle Editor for BellaNaija.com She has a Vogue Fashion Certificate from Conde Nast College of Fashion & Design and also attended Central Saint Martins, London College of Fashion and the University of Kent. Eki headed the Design Operations at a top Nigerian womenswear fashion brand before finding love at BellaNaija Style. Eki loves all things creative. Follow her on Instagram @ekiogunbor BellaNaija Style: [email protected] | @bellanaijastyle BellaNaija Beauty: @bellanaijabeauty BellaNaija Living: [email protected] | @bellanaijaliving

1. .....just saying

March 30, 2016 at 7:17 am

Ironically, black soap gives me pimples. I’d say each to her own

2. I just waka come

March 30, 2016 at 8:31 am

I use Ghana soap. I usually mix with honey.

Unfortunately pure honey is so rare to come by that I rarely use it.

Does anyone know where I can buy PURE, unadulterated honey?
    Even if I have to buy it in a remote village, I honestly don’t mind.

• Newman

March 30, 2016 at 10:20 am

Ur location was not mention, if it is, then a locality of where to get real genuine honey will be told u. Now that I asked u about ur locality, I don’t know when I am going to rereply to ur next answer because I can’t say when I will come to or meet this particular page. Which brought about d life lesson that if u are writing for once,pls always give full details. (that is:Not private owned personal details pls, only details that will bring the right answers).

• Ch

March 30, 2016 at 11:17 am

@Newman, if you have an answer, just say it. All this your epistle is just gibberish. She already said if she has to buy from a remote village, she doesn’t mind. That to me means she’s willing to go as far as may be needed to get what she wants. You that you are correcting someone, if you do not have an answer to a problem, don’t add to it. Don’t just comment for commenting sake abeg…

• K

March 30, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Loooool I can’t stop laughing. I swear I read your comment in Falz the bahd guy’s accent. ..

• Ready

March 30, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Lookatew @Ch. Just take the ‘life lesson’ and make sure your “location is mention” next time. Pls don’t respond because “I don’t know when I am going to rereply to ur next answer because I can’t say when I will come to or meet this particular page” or if my oga at the top will have a different answer. Dasall.

• Kakah

March 31, 2016 at 7:27 am

If you are in Abj, holla @ [email protected] to connect you to a pure honey dealer.

3. kemi

March 30, 2016 at 9:05 am

Black soap gives me pimples too.

4. Anonymous

March 30, 2016 at 9:31 am

i use honey liquid soap and R&R luxury oil, i got them from this really amazing online store, dressmeoutlet.com. its appropriate to use these things with moderation.

5. Sandra

March 30, 2016 at 10:25 am

Thanks for this Lola! I love black soap, natural and works well! With a good moisturiser like you said…

6. licious

March 30, 2016 at 10:36 am

works well for me too when mixed with honey

7. me

March 30, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Black soap dried my skin out and left it itchy – London weather did not ease the pain..

• Tiwo

March 30, 2016 at 3:52 pm

i use black soap along with Johnson baby oil and it works fine 🙂

• Nana

March 31, 2016 at 1:58 am

My friend got me this Black Soap by Estella’s Pride from Ebeano, alongside other things, as a gift. I don’t do things cause people are doing it, or join the bandwagon. Anyway, I like how my skin felt, I didn’t notice dryness; maybe cause I use a great light-weight oil moisturizer. I have itchy skin and it helped combat the itchiness. I however switch between that brand of black soap, and dettol soap so my skin won’t get used to either of the soaps; losing it’s effectiveness. However; I have seen many variations of Black Soap so my advise will be to do a lot of reseach and know which to purchase. Don’t just buy something cause everyone is buying it.

8. teesha

March 30, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Check the kind of body cream you are using. There are some kinds of cream that won’t tolerate other product if combined (which is not a good cream, it does that) with thereby leading to breakout. If black soap dries your skin, mix it with olive oil and natural honey. These two will moisturize your skin.

9. Temmy

March 30, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Some people will just run to market to buy this black soap without considering their skin type, Most of these so called beauty bloggers actually have horrible skin/face however they wont stop giving tips on how to maintain a good face/skin.
    The only beauty blogger in that naija with a good skin/face is iamdodos, this Lola’s face without all that nonsense over pancaked face is really awful. .

People need to understand their body/skin or whatnot before buying all these skincare products. what works for Adam does not necessarily work for Peter, so apply sense in whatever you read or watch online.

• sandra

March 30, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Did you even read above or watch the video before commenting?? She clearly states the points you mentioned about skin type etc

Yes dodo’s does have beautiful skin but Lola’s skin is actually not awful…why so bitter? Wonder what your face looks like!!

Be nice in life, we don’t win by putting other down.

10. Kakah

March 31, 2016 at 7:32 am

Black soaps are good but like she kept warning, know your skin type, use with moisturizers!! Simple!!

11. AANUOLUWAPO OYEDELE

March 31, 2016 at 11:37 am

if you want black soap please send a mail to [email protected]
    Its nafdac approved

12. Desert Rainbow

March 31, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Black soap is the truth!God used it to clear cystic acne that had plagued me for almost 3 years and set me back about 500k + in treatment/dermatologists/potions and creams. I have used everything under the sun- the weird,nasty and outright dangerous.They used to be at least 20 new breakouts daily on my face,almost as big as boils . Everywhere I went random strangers offered suggestions.I’d just spend days locked up indoors,crying.

From early morning urine,to dead Sea mud to toothpaste. Cystic acne took me to the depths of depression and only God rescued me. It was a really horrid time.Fastforward to today, I basically just wash my face and go.I only wear foundation for special occasions, I just do white powder.I wake up everyday with joy in my heart.I truly give God glory.

If you struggle with acne and have oily skin,try black soap.You may have to alternate it though (as it may be drying at first) .I hope it works out for you. Good luck.Pardon my epistle oh,I just thought I’d encourage someone who may be dealing with severe acne.

P.S: The brand of black soap I use now is the Ghana fresh one. I alternate with Simple(the brand) products.