Style

My Style: Coco Bassey

Richard Akuson

Via-Spiga-Brisa-Shoes-Gucci-Soho-Disco-Bag-MILLENNIELLEA lot of people think that being a fashion blogger means that I’m constantly shopping the latest trends 24/7, but I actually prefer to own investment pieces that I can wear for a long time. It’s a much more realistic and smart way to go—Coco Bassey

It’s time for another fabulous edition of My Style – our monthly BN Style feature that aims to celebrate the unique style of our amazing BN readers.

The My Style page is all about showing how diverse and universal style can be. Style is individual, unique and fun and is a personal representation of how each person expresses their take on fashion; so BN Style watchers let’s appreciate his unique style. Enjoy!

***

Today’s My Style Star is especially chic! With a fun and flirty style that a lot of us try imitating but never get right – we think you’re going to want to bookmark this page.

Today’s My Style Feature is personal style blogger Coco Bassey of www.millennielle.com – an M.A. student of Global (Media & Communications) Studies, Brandeis University and resident in Atlanta, Georgia.

Why do you love your style?

red-off-shoulder-dress-4-800x533

I think one of the things that make my personal style unique is that it’s relatable and accessible. I tend to stay away from overly flashy and gaudy clothes and accessories, and I have a lot of basics and neutrals in my wardrobe. To me, my personal style is all about making sure things fit my body perfectly; a tailored fit is much more beautiful than showing off excessive skin.

What’s your style philosophy?

Less is more, minimalism is key, and a tailored fit can make even the cheapest piece look expensive.

Novella-Royale-Janis-Bells-with-Blazer-800x1200

How I express my personality through my style

IMG_0072

I’m a dreamer and a huge softie at heart — I guess that’s why I’m always drawn to softer color palettes, neutrals and textured fabrics. So, when I’m not at work, my favorite daytime look is the deconstructed button-down because it’s so classic and versatile! It can come as a skirt, backless top or even a matching set.

Derek-Lam-Speckled-Wrap-Skirt-Shirtdress-_-MILLENNIELLE-1ASOS-matching-set-3-800x533IMG_0397-800x533

Some of my favorite stores

On the high street, I love Aritzia, Topshop and ASOS— I can always find the perfect pieces for great prices there! When I’m looking for higher end fashion pieces, I head to Saks Fifth Avenue or TheRealReal.com for a great find.

Makeup

Becca-Highlighter-+-Kylie-Jenner-Lipkit-+-Kat-Von-D-Bow-N-Arrow-MILLENNIELLE

I’m always wearing Make Up Forever HD foundation, Becca Cosmetics luminizer in “Topaz” and a matte nude lip (either Kat Von D’s “Bow n Arrow” or Kylie Cosmetics “Dolce K”).

Regular day look

IMG_0482IMG_0219-e1409542384571-2-800x1200COCO_007-800x533COCO_007-800x533IMG_0063

My work look

Like most girls my age, I work a regular 9 to 5 job so I actually spend a most of my week dressing business casual – tailored pants and a blouse or sweater, depending on the weather.

Maison-Jules-Pieces-of-Paris-Millennielle-800x1200Millennielle-wearing-Oasis-Fashion-wrap-skirt-sleeveless-turtleneck-sweater-800x1200IMG_2066-800x533HM-camel-coat-burdundy-dress-800x1200burgundy-tailored-vest-800x1200COS-draped-top-top-and-flare-jeans-MILLENNIELLE-800x1200Derek-Lam-Speckled-Wrap-Skirt-Shirtdress-_-MILLENNIELLE-1

My night look

Jocelyn-Feather-Coat-in-Stone-MILLENNIELLE-800x533

All black everything is my default nighttime look — I love a skinny jean paired with a flattering bodysuit and pointed-toe booties

IMG_0611-2-800x1200IMG_0306-800x1200IMG_0513-800x1200

Shopping Habits

A lot of people think that being a fashion blogger means that I’m constantly shopping the latest trends 24/7, but I actually prefer to own investment pieces that I can wear for a long time. It’s a much more realistic and smart way to go.

IMG_0088IMG_2066-800x533

My wardrobe Staples

Oversized knitwear, black leather pants, white button-down shirt and wide-leg trousers.

Star-Print-Navy-Blue-Blazer-MILLENNIELLEtommy-hilfiger-dress-fall-2015-800x1200For-Love-Lemons-Dress-800x533IMG_0012-800x1200HM-Fall-Trend-2015-800x1200IMG_0047-800x1200boohoo-holiday-2015-boucle-matching-set-800x1200

Accessories I Love

Dainty gold jewelry, black ankle boots, aviator sunglasses and a high-end cross body bag.

YSL-Cassandre-Tassel-Bag-MillennielleRed-Gucci-Soho-Disco-Bag-MILLENNIELLEMillennielle-ShoesIMG_0285-800x533IMG_0400-e1408773300240-800x1200

My Advice to BN’ers on style

Be true to who you are and invest in yourself.

reformation-maxi-dress-800x533

The closet that I desire the most

I love Keira Knightley’s classic style — she does the red carpet and streetstyle so well!

Varley-Activewear-MILLENNIELLE-800x1185

Thank you to Coco for sharing her amazing style with us. Follow her for more of her style on her; Blog: www.millennielle.com | Instagram: @cocobassey | Twitter: @cocobassey | Facebook: Millennielleblog

________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you are interested in appearing in the My Style feature, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical day and night look with a short summary of your style to style(at)bellanaija(dot)com. When your entry is approved, you will be required to send in more pictures and personal commentaries on your style or that of your friend as the case may be!

Richard Akuson is founder at The PR Boy a boutique media and press relations agency for fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands with a specialty in raising the overall awareness of a brand, product or image of a company or person. Richard is also a weekly columnist at Bellanaija.com ('On The Catwalk' and 'Collection Conversations'), he's also a party host at The Front Row and a vlogger at Get Pink with Richard .Want to reach out? Follow @richardakuson on Instagram and @richardakuson on Twitter or send an email to [email protected]

1. Zizi

March 28, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Boring …..

• Pompey

March 29, 2016 at 6:49 am

Not boring in the least!

She’s wearing relatable and nice pieces. You want to see over the top before you can appreciate? Na wa for una

2. Great Lady

March 28, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Honestly I do not understand your style,buts it’s your style so nice.

3. Katrina

March 28, 2016 at 2:53 pm

i LOVE coco’s style! you don’t always have to be in a sexy bodycon dress to look fashionable — coco does everyday street style so well!

4. that uptown girl

March 28, 2016 at 3:03 pm

This style no follow joor! Style nke a esoro biko.

• Bella

March 29, 2016 at 11:41 am

most of her pieces are way too short and revealing for me and she ain’t tryna get with that! But its her style biko, just not for me o.

5. memebaby

March 28, 2016 at 4:24 pm

casual chic..

6. meulyse

March 28, 2016 at 6:06 pm

I cannot even pick one outfit… Better close this blog. Nice body though

• idong

March 28, 2016 at 7:47 pm

don’t be stupid, na only body you come find? if na naked body u want see, go elsewhere. her blog is the most professional looking 1 av seen – she’s doing a good job abeg. not every girl wears skintight cloths, that’s not fashion

7. Asgrl

March 28, 2016 at 6:30 pm

They have come oh! Not everybody wants to wear body con and red sole shoe and carry Hermes or Chanel.

Coco I like your effortless chic style. Very girl about about town. Reminds me of Alexa Chung. Now all you need a hat LOL! Love It!

• Whocares

March 28, 2016 at 7:21 pm

@Asgrl- I love her style a lot, I don’t see what’s not to like.. I also agree with the less is more Maxim. I would steal 95% of her wardrobe without thought of eternal damnation or burning in hell for theft.

8. Teresa

March 28, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Honestly, this girl looks amazing.

I am definitely following her on her social sites. She has the style of a fashion icon for sure. its so nice to see that girls have innovative and unique styles these days.

love it and i want to see moreeeee. off to the blog i go.

9. Ayo

March 28, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Not very appealing at least to me

10. bawseupchic

March 28, 2016 at 7:51 pm

I totally need to upgrade my wardrobe! Her styles are too chic and can be incorporated by anyone. I also like the versatility. I agree, @whocares, what’s not to like!

11. GirlOnTop

March 28, 2016 at 10:27 pm

I love, love, love her style. Effortlessly stylish. Keep it up girl. 🙂

12. Dee one

March 28, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Her style is right up my alley, love the fact that it’s relatable to almost every one and looks affordable plus it’s got this simplistic and comfortable touch to it which is key for me. My only complaint is that there was not a single picture of her work style or at least what she described as her work style which is the business casual look.

13. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 29, 2016 at 1:40 am

Ms Coco, I like your style a great deal … Even though I’m not able to rock your hemlines (being a fan of midi lengths myself), they suit you and I see a lot of pieces that could end up in my closet. Actually, already spot one TopShop number we own in common… 🙂

14. Hadassah

March 29, 2016 at 11:38 am

Love Love it!
    Effortless and Super Chic!
    I super love it

15. ACE

March 29, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Very nice! For me I love her style!

16. Effortlessly Chic

March 29, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Nice collection of accessories. I only loved 2 of her ensembles tho. I won’t really say her style is amazing or inspiring plus I didn’t like the revealing clothing and all… but hey it’s her style. But that aside, she’s a beautiful young woman.
    But outta curiosity I’ve gotta ask… Why is every girl (who seems to like shopping or has a thing for playing dress up) suddenly an instagram style blogger??… There are sooo many style bloggers these days, and not all of ’em are worthy of their titles (Generally speaking, not even talking about Coco) My two cents sha.

17. justdeywakapass

March 30, 2016 at 4:53 pm

“To me, my personal style is all about making sure things fit my body perfectly; a tailored fit is much more beautiful than showing off excessive skin.” her own words but most of her clothes are either too short or showing execessive skin. I cant place the relationship!

18. Billionaire in grace

April 29, 2016 at 1:37 pm

very nice i like it

19. rocky

June 20, 2016 at 11:37 pm

but i love all the outfit…. why the compliant

20. Ima Isip

July 13, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Its natural to see why people would kick back on anything that does not look like themselves. I love Coco’s fashion sense a whole lot an since I saw her growing up, I am very impressed at how her style has evolved… Go Coco

21. pinkie lee

September 12, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Best ”my style” feature eva!!!…This pure breed of class…takes an outfit frm casual n makes it looking classy d nxt sec

22. some1special

November 19, 2016 at 6:35 pm

She is alright.Nothing extraordinary.