Scoop

Should Ibinabo Fiberisima go to Jail for 5 Years? OAP Freeze Weighs In

Ibinabo FiberisimaIbinabo Fiberisima has been sentenced to 5 years in prison, for a car collision that resulted in the loss of a life of Giwa Suraj, a staff of a Lagos state public hospital.

Her son wrote an open letter asking Nigerians to pray for his mother, and now OAP Freeze weighed in last night.

Should Ibinabo go to Jail for 5 years??? I ran a poll on the Roadshow on @coolfmlagos today, and callers voted 6:1 in favor of her serving the sentence.

Do I agree? Well, no. Let’s not deprive her children of their mother and not further traumatized them with the negativity associated with their mum being an ex-convict.

However, a N100,000 fine? Seriously???? what can 100k buy in Nigeria today??? Not even an iPhone 6! Probably an iPhone 5s at the most! So are you saying a woman would be deprived of her husbands love, care and intimacy in exchange for an iPhone 5s??? Or the children would be told “sorry guys daddy is gone but here is an iPhone 5s for you guys to share” really???

I am of the opinion that she should be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the children. This responsibility should be directly proportional to her income. Also, a portion of her income should go to the wife unless she, (the wife) states otherwise. No amount of money can replace a loved one. However, taking financial responsibility could help bring closure to the bereaved family.

I pray she is pardoned but she needs to show empathy and remorse, while being responsible for the family of the deceased.

However, since then Freeze has now changed his tune – he just posted this comment 15 minutes ago.

… my dear, I usually don’t reply comments but I will reply yours. If I had read an email I received this morning, before I put up this post yesterday I won’t have begged for people to forgive her. Apparently she was partying with Jona while this man’s family was lying fallow. I once bought a puppy for my kids for 80k so 100k for a human life is appalling. However something in me pitied her.

1. Anon

March 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

No mention of the family who were deprived of their breadwinner. Who will be responsible for their own upkeep? This guy’s attention seeking is appalling. He rushed to type dross, then more info came and he did a rethink. Why not stay mute about this issue? A case of fingers working ahead of his brain. Was it only partying she did with Jona? *coughs*

• Tareb

March 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm

This write up is so stupid . I cant even deal
      Ex convict. …why not. She was drunk , high on drugs and fled the scene . Never shown any remorse …. Go and read the inital reports. Even when Daniel Wilson went to greet the family blc it was his car, Ibinabo refused to go . All her interviews she talks abt her her her .never any mention of the family

The doctor was coming back from night shift work. He was the sole earnee in his house and life has never been d same for them

Based on this Freeze no sense reason then all the criminals should be free. They too have mouth to fed . Deep foolishness

• Reporr

March 15, 2016 at 1:51 pm

The report from the cases stated that the actress and the persons aboard a borrowed Lexus Jeep had fled the scene before the arrival of the Police. The car was found empty of its passengers.
      Having sustained severe slight injuries, Fiberesima had to check in a hospital for medical attention the next day and was subsequently put under arrest by the Police.

The borrowed car belonged to Daniel Wilson, owner of Wilson Confectionaries who was traced thanks to the license plate of the Lexus Jeep and brought in for interrogation the next day.

Onlookers and witnesses to the tragedy testified that the impact of Fiberesima’s car into the victim’s was so violent that it took rescue teams over half an hour to rescue the persons who had survived the crash but who had also sustained injuries.

The Jeep was speeding away and the actress lost control of the vehicle trying to brake too late. The actress crossed over to the incoming lane and hit the victims car . Further investigations showed she lost control due to alcohol and substance intoxication

• Abasi mbok

March 15, 2016 at 6:13 pm

What do you mean ‘severe slight injuries’?

• Yetu

March 15, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Fiberesima had been driving on the other side of the road. All of sudden, her car was said to have veered dangerously off the road and headed in the direction of Dr Giwa. The aftermath had been fatal. Dr Giwa was said to have died on the spot.

The accident was put down to reckless driving fueled by drinking binge. According to eye-witness account, Ibinabo seemed to have been completely inebriated as she could not even recognize that an accident had happened in which she was involved. She was said to have been reeking of alcohol or some other substance according to court document

2. anna

March 15, 2016 at 11:56 am

Whichever way the law has decided to handle her, let it be so. Why must she give the family upkeep from her pocket? Who does not know how we africans operate. Where money is concerned, we will take what is due and still demand 10 times more. People die all the time and it is really heartbreaking but extortion n the name of compensation is also acrime. Just because she is a celebrity,it does not mean she is a walking Atm machine

• jummai

March 17, 2016 at 9:39 am

also just because she”s a celebrity doesn’t mean she should not serve her jail time.

3. Rosey

March 15, 2016 at 11:58 am

No she shouldn’t go to jail,this happened 10years ago from her story she wasn’t driving drunk but being chased by thugs,she was in coma for a week too..Yes a family lost their breadwinner it’s quite sad but something else can be done even if is compensating the family with millions although money can’t replaced a life lost.

• Lagos is my Home

March 15, 2016 at 12:07 pm

@Rosey ibinabo was not in Coma …enough with the lies. There were many witnesses at the scene. She jumped out of the car and took all her belonging so no trace and left the scene. Did not bother to focus on rushing the Dr to the hospital. She had no care in the world but for herself and YES SHE WAS DRUNK. She just came from a party and where she been drinking and smoking all sort. Please enough with d lies

Ibinabo herself can never tell this version of not drinking or coma . The evidence were all shown in court

• smh

March 15, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I agree with you Lagos is my home. If they want to beg or defend Ibinabo thats fine but stick to the facts …………….

• kadara

March 15, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Stop listening to lies she wa not being chase by any thugs or in any Coma. She fled the scene of the crime, do people in Coma run away? She left the poor man dying and took off . Someone who saw the incident spoke here about how drunk she was and her friends were even saying Ibinabo.we told you not to drive.

• MaryM

March 15, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Ibinabo was not hurt and was not in coma. she walked out of Daniel Wilson car taking her purse and all . Please be sure of what you type. Her son letter mentioned that so carelessly to gain sympathy. It is either he lied or his mother lied to him

• FearGod

March 15, 2016 at 12:34 pm

In coma you say . …..!!!!!!!……..

How did she then get up and leave the scene of the accident. Even taking any evident to link her with the car. All her personal belongings .

Check court document. She was mentioned tampering with evident at d crime scene ….she cared more about that and fleeing than seeing if the man was ok ….

You people saying coma should fear God oooo.

• forbisi

March 15, 2016 at 1:11 pm

lie

• Iris

March 15, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I am pretty sure all reports say she fled the accident scene. Is it her spirit that was in a coma? My dear who is your source of this information?

4. Elaine

March 15, 2016 at 11:59 am

For me I feel this is a personal vendetta..but 5years in prison is too much?

• kadara

March 15, 2016 at 12:19 pm

It’s a vendetta for people to pay for their crimes abi? Hiss, your type will always complain that Nigeria is a jungle yet when the law does it’s job you start with your rubbish sentiment. Nigerians are what Is wrong with this Country!

• Jagaban

March 15, 2016 at 9:04 pm

5 years for manslaughter, evading arrest, tampering with evidence, DUI, endangerment of lives and property, the counts can go on and on…..yet people are all talking trash about how it is 10years after or how it won’t bring back the dead. Plss miss me with all the BS let her do her time….and stop playing the sympathy card.

• anoy

March 15, 2016 at 12:25 pm

After 5 years the family gets their mother back . What of the Doctor, he is lost for ever and didnt get a 2nd chance just blc an actress was jumping from night club to night club. Breaking homes and destroying lives. ….
      you think 5 years is too harsh. I pray you meet an ibinabo in life. I hope you can confidently say AMEN

5. mrs chidukane

March 15, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Can we just make up our minds already? Do we want to be a country that functions under the rule of law or do we want to be a country that functions under the rule of emotion? She has children and a husband and she is a celebrity, so she shouldn’t go to jail . TB Joshua shouldn’t be penalized or face justice for his building that collapsed killing tens of people because it was a spiritual attack. The lekki gardens guy it was his friend that built it. The immigration boss after the loss of lives at his scam exam had the gall to blame the candidates. He also refused to resign and nobody questioned or penalized him including the President. For christ sakes when will we start taking responsibility for our actions in this country? When we realize that sorry doesn’t always cut it? I know how I wept when my cousin died. Do you know how that widow feels? Do you think she wouldn’t prefer it if her husband was just away for 5 years, after which he would come back home? Do you know what it is to grow up without a father? Do you know the pains and torment the people in the collapsed buildings felt before they finally died? All because of greed and someone refusing to do the right thing? It’s either we fully give in to lawlessness or we learn to do the right thing.

• Tunmi

March 15, 2016 at 12:49 pm

That immigration scheme hurt something awful

6. conglomerate

March 15, 2016 at 12:28 pm

It will be a personal vendetta because it isn’t your father or brother that was killed. spits on you!!

7. Wale

March 15, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Ibinabo’s immediate behavior after the case was insensitive. Imagine, she was everywhere with her kids and displaying at AMVCA. she should have pipe low at that time. If I was related to the deceased, I would not be happy at all! I can’t play God but justice should be done!

8. Moyo

March 15, 2016 at 1:05 pm

All the people pitying Ibinabo should do and get a good SAN for her and pay his fees. All this talk will amount to nothing. There is a judgement in place and if she does not appeal. She will serve her sentence. Ibinabo has not shown any remorse since the incident, she has always been involved in one scandal or the other, from her controversial AGN election, to her relationship with Fred Amata, her campaign for Jonathan, taking artistes to Port harcourt for a militant’s birthday and her latest marriage, her latest outing at the AMVCA, SHE CERTAINLY DID NOT BEHAVE LIKE SOMEONE WHO HAS A MANSLAUGHTER CASE ON HER HANDS.. I wonder where the husband is, isn’t he speaking for her

• Shocked

March 15, 2016 at 1:45 pm

For you , it is personal! Why list all her activities after the crime. She can’t get married again or campaign for the President? Didn’t Tiwa, Don Jazzy, and the rest campaign for Sai Buhari. Isn’t it her civic duty? Please leave matter for later. Your belly is oozing with envy, and yes, I agree that Ibinabo should serve time for her crime!

• Moyo

March 15, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Dear Shocked, I am practically laughing my head off and rolling on the floor, me envy Ibinabo for what exactly, please I don’t even want to enter into her matter because I can list more of what she has done before the accident and it is not personal, my post is just my observations, but I don’t have time. I am glad that you said she should serve her time so I have no more words for you. Thank you

9. whocares

March 15, 2016 at 1:27 pm

this is a serious issue and all, but Daniel Wilson, is that Mr. raggamuffin? That sang that song? rag, rag, raggamuffin?
    And as for Ibinabo why this is a debate I don’t even know. You have a criminal law in Nigeria, no one is above the law etc etc. If you wish to defend her, do so within the ambit of the law, anything outside that is sentimental and causing unnecessary set back for legal progress- back to Mr. ragamuffin, is it one and the same? Does he still sing? I used to have suchhhh a crush on him then with his jherry churls and what not.

• Iris

March 15, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Lol omigosh I have been wanting to ask if it was Mr Ragamuffin since! I just wasn’t sure if it was the right time and place.

• Anon

March 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Yes, the same Mr Daniel “Ragamuffin” Wilson.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 15, 2016 at 6:57 pm

@Whocares and Iris – me “three”! 🙂
      @Anon – he did well, if his exit from entertainment was to find his feet in the business world. It’s not often you hear that.

10. rain

March 15, 2016 at 1:44 pm

dangote s truck has killed more than 400 people ……not just doctors but every profession. The whole thing is becoming like we must revenge and vendetta . Ibinabo said sorry and visited the family and there is nothing she would do to raise the dead. No body goes around with a car trying to kill a fellow human being unless that person is mad. Ibinabo was not drunk and some people are now using the fact that the lady being an actress went for AMVCA which is part of her industry work. Her beauty is also part of the reason she must go jail. It can happen to anybody and life is funny. Ibinabo has suffered enough for the death of the doctor

• HeifersLikeRain

March 15, 2016 at 2:05 pm

@Rain, are you sick in the head or what??? where Dangote’s truck drivers charged to court??? what the f##k do you mean by “Ibinabo said sorry”???? are you for real???? I suppose I can kill your father and tell you sorry, afterall nothing can bring him back……………..
      Please if you have nothing sane to say, kindly keep quiet.
      No wonder this country is the way it is, heifers like you are enemies of progress.

• Eniolorunda

March 15, 2016 at 9:01 pm

This person called rain or raincoat is not for real, probably suffering from deficiency of brain activites for anyone to make a comment like this.
      You are the kind of people that want to ruin this country, you are hoping justice will not prevail, no wonder Naija is like this. She killed person she has to be responsible for that, at least after 5 years she will still be alive but the Dr Giwa is dead and not coming back, his kids and wife and those that depend on this man will never be the same, is she paying for their school and upkeep?
      In the part of the world I live, she will be sued and probably sell all she has to pay compensation, and if found guilty for death by reckless driviing , driving under the influence of substance, leaving scene of accident , she will go to jail swiftly. I just hope she does not use her celebrity status to get away with this.
      Rain, engage brain before engaging your fingers and laptop.

• lividme

March 16, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Just shut up…..pls.

• lividme

March 16, 2016 at 10:33 pm

The ‘shut up’ goes mr rain…

11. keke driver

March 15, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I don’t care what ANYONE has to say…..Madam Ibinabo MUST go to jail…..Haba, partying hard and going from one award show to the other like NOTHING happened? and we should forgive cos She’s a mother?? What Rubbish!! If She had thought about Her “Motherhood” then She would have known that it’s NOT safe to drink and F***ing drive for christ sakes.

12. Omo jesu

March 15, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Mr or Mrs or miss rain whatever !
    I pray that in Jesus name you will experience in a million folds what the Dr’s family have experienced and will experience because of ibinabo’s insensitive behavior that you have endorsed.

• Ijebujesha

March 17, 2016 at 2:32 pm

A big AMEN to that.

13. LostInSpace

March 15, 2016 at 3:26 pm

I have read so many responses about this lady, but some of the people who taught they were speaking for her are really making it all bad for her. Many have talked about how are kids will miss her, how she is a caring and loving person etc. No one has ever said anything about the victim’s character or family. The victim has a family too, people he cared for, people who loved him. All of these people will never see him again. If daddy freeze really want to voice about this, he should have talked about how she has been able to impact people’s lives positively and how the society will miss such a loving lady. Not all the baby rant. The fine of 100k was a slap to victim’s family face in my opinion. 100k for human life

• IbinabotakesthenextMoluetoKUJE

March 16, 2016 at 7:54 am

100k for a bottle of Moet in a club now equates to a human life??? What are all these her supporters trying to justify? #deepsigh Aye le ooo

14. Lizzie

March 15, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Something hit me today when the show was being discussed on the radio. I remembered when Ibinabo requested her passport be released to her to attend a beauty pageant abroad. The case was still ongoing as there hadn’t been a judgement yet.

Now i’m seeing comments from court notes saying she fled the scene of the crime etc.

I can only suggest we separate the crime from the person and take a wholistic look at what was don. The judgement is quite lenient as 7 years is the minimum in Nigeria.

she’s being punished for a crime she committed and not witch hunted as the pr machines are saying.

Nigeria has to work at some point and the sooner it does, the better for us all!

15. Seyi

March 15, 2016 at 6:05 pm

The victim, Dr Suraj Giwa was my uncle and I have witnessed first hand how the family he left behind, a wife and three kids have struggled for the last ten years to cope without their father, husband and bread winner.
    I therefore find it very disrespectful and unfair for people to state on here that it is a witch hunt against Ibinabo. She deserves to pay for her crime and the mere fact that she is a celebrity doesn’t mean she should get away with what she did and pay pennies as a fine.
    The family have never once in this whole saga come out to ask for financial help, they put all their faith in our legal system and I believe in this instance, it is only right that Ibinabo should serve the jail sentence which is very minute in comparison to what she has put the family of the victim through by her reckless driving resulting in the death of an innocent man.
    The family of the victim will never again see their father, husband and bread winner, whilst she will definitely come out of prison after a few years and continue living the rest of her miserable life.

• Sad

March 15, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I feel the Giwa family’s pain and loss. Trust me, it is not easy to loss a breadwinner. The only way they can move forward is to forgive Ibinabo. I pray they forgive her. I am a child of a victim. A Police man mistakenly shot my father in the early nineties at a checkpoint. We didn’t get justice, but We have forgiven him. Forgiveness brings a level of peace that is beyond understanding. Ibinabo will go to jail, but it will not bring your Uncle back nor give your family peace and happiness. It is God that gives peace and joy not man. law, or justice. It is sad,but the father almighty knows best. Your family should have faith and trust God. There is a reason for this event. We can never understand the intricacies of this life. Events occur in our lives to make us stronger and better. …Trust God!

16. Samuel

March 15, 2016 at 7:37 pm

While everyone has the right to air their opinion on matters in public discourse, I feel Freeze is being ludicrous at the moment. How do you try to make a point by bringing the matter down to IPhone 5s? What sort of stupidity is this? of recent you have been offering your opinion on all things which is fine, but on this Mr. Freeze, you have made a complete fool of yourself. I have no relation to the Victim, but it is ridiculous that we as human beings begin to say “ah it’s been 10yrs” “ah she has suffered now” “oh but she has children”. Does that mean one should not pay for a crime one commits?! I don’t hate Ibinabo, but Lord knows I want her to go to jail, same with the Lekki Gardens Management and Prophet TB Joshua and his engineering team, IF found guilty in their varying cases. And to Mr. Freeze, please let your thoughts predate whatever you spew out, I’m not against you, I infact agree with almost all other posts I’ve seen from you.

17. Tolani

March 15, 2016 at 8:29 pm

It is what it is. You can’t kill the breadwinner of a home, flee the crime scene and then expect 100k to cover up for the damage. In other countries driving under influence or while intoxicated and killing someone could get you minimum of 10 years, a deadbeat record, probably no job after and many more punishments. She now ran away! Haba! Imagine if it happened to someone dear to you. Will you ask for compensation, justice or just settle for 100k that like freeze said can’t even buy iPhone 5s or pay one term primary school fees? If the let her go now that light has shed on it, it won’t be funny.

18. Hills

March 15, 2016 at 9:07 pm

I am seriously disturbed at the foolishness that is being displayed over this case. She was found guilty and was sentenced, a lenient sentence at that. If you think she is innocent, hire a lawyer and appeal to the Supreme Court and present evidence. All this talk about your opinion is not needed. The Court didn’t ask for your opinion and never will. They don’t care if you think she should be forgiven. I now understand why many people are unemployed, no understanding of basic things. I really weep for you people.

19. Yeni

March 15, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Why are you Nigerians so fvking bush. What the FCUK is “Lexus ” Jeep”, it sounds so bush and uncouth to describe every SUV as a Jeep.

• I Laugh!

March 16, 2016 at 4:17 am

Very funny, indeed! This “jeep” irks my soul! Naija people with their own way of writing/speaking English, hah!!!, na wa o! “jeep” my freaking ass! They don’t even know jeep is a brand….

• Ayoka

March 16, 2016 at 8:27 pm

We know but we don’t care. Now run along

20. IbinabotakesthenextMoluetoKUJE

March 16, 2016 at 7:55 am

A bottle of Ace rather

21. MathewDickson

March 16, 2016 at 6:08 pm

That’s so so unfair. .she killed someone 2006 and they did nothing about it. 2016 she’s now sentenced to 5years imprisonment. Does it even make sense, will this bring back the dead to life. people can be so cruel, why can’t they just forget it and believe everything happens for a reason. why are they Christians when they can’t even forgive her. Our so called politicians that are killing people here and there are free in the country, but the masses who kill by mistakes are being punished… This is part of corruption and God is not happy about it no matter how guilty she is, it’s a past event. She being jailed after 10 years of crime makes no sense , it’s a sin in the sight of God. Just being honest

• jummai

March 17, 2016 at 9:43 am

Pls note that its not the Giwa family versus ibinabo, its the State vs her. so she should serve her jail term.

22. ifehaponlunde juliet

March 18, 2016 at 4:26 pm

thank God at last ibinabo is going to jail I’m very very Happy to hear that, Justice at last. let her go and continue her career in jail she is very heartless and show no remorse to what she did I even pray she rot in jail. and that goes to all entertainers like her

23. warri judith

March 19, 2016 at 4:11 pm

well, all i have to say in this matter is the deed has been done. the man was destined to die this way, but its rather unfortunate that ibinabo was the unlucky one, it could have been anyone, on that wheels that day. 90% of people taking the seat of the judge here would have done the same thing she did, if you want to be truthful to your self. stop been the judge and leave her to the hands of fate. if you cannot the family and ibinabo in prayers