Music

Beyoncé features Laolu Senbanjo’s Body Art in Lemonade

Nigerian-born, Brooklyn-based artist Laolu Senbanjo‘s work was featured in Beyoncé‘s recently released visual album.

In the monochrome section entitled Apathy, Beyoncé’s background dancers are seen wearing intricate white body paint while riding in a metal bus and moving to the album’s fourth track, “Sorry.”

laolu senbanjo beyonce bellanaija april2016 laolu senbanjo beyonce bellanaija april2016a

Later on in the film, Beyoncé is also seen with a small amount of body art; white dots have been delicately placed above the curve of her eyebrows and dragged from her lower eyelid to her cheeks.

laolu senbanjo beyonce bellanaija april2016b

He calls his body painting artworks Sacred Art of the Ori, noting that the origin of this practice derives from a spiritual Yoruba ritual.

In my language, Yoruba ‘Ori’ literally means your essence, your soul, your destiny,” Laolu explains in his artist statement. “When I work with a muse, the muse, their Ori, and I become one. It’s the deepest, most spiritual experience I’ve ever had with my art as an artist.”

Here’s a behind the scenes Instagram post from Laolu –

Laolu is definitely winning this year! Read about his recent collaboration with Nike AirMax and being an ambassador for the biggest luxury gym in the world.

Credits: Laolu Senbanjo | @laolunyc, The FADER

1. djsababa

April 25, 2016 at 10:07 am

you make me feel happy everytime I love u so much keep up we love u

2. prince ikenna ezeoba

April 25, 2016 at 10:11 am

Thanks and God bless you.I love ur photo ur music and your looking so sweet , beautiful , stunning and hot

3. Tina

April 25, 2016 at 10:31 am

Don’t get me wrong, I like Beyoncé as a person but BN please stop shoving her and this new album down our throats. How much did she pay you for this overboard promotion?

• Yawn

April 25, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Sweetheart you can easily ignore them and move on with your life. How can you tell Uche how to run HER blog ?

Anyway congrats Laolu! Doesn’t get bigger than Queen Bey

4. xplorenollywood.com

April 25, 2016 at 11:54 am

I think its okay, they woman hasnt had an album is a while, she uses a combination of people and their talents which include this Nigerian, so its not so bad! I just see it like is she doing good, is it helping others, does it have entertainment value, then share us! Inspiration can come from anything.

5. prince

April 25, 2016 at 1:15 pm

This is very good and inspiring. congratulations Laolu, this is a step ahead. #keepmoving #thebestisyettocome

• Stefan

April 25, 2016 at 6:35 pm

It’s definitely a good thing. But you’re sounding as if this is another jumoke story and Beyonce was the one who discovered him. I’m sure you know but in case you didn’t, Laolu is a “master of air ” meaning he has a contract with Nike to design air max with art inspired flavour. He was already a force to reckon with before this gig.

• Honey

April 26, 2016 at 9:08 am

There was another Nigerian listed…. Onye Anyanwu.

6. Asake

April 28, 2016 at 6:01 am

I ❤❤❤ Laolu’s art. He should keep it up.

This is not about Beyoncé but the fact that post Nike air deal Laolu’s art got featured in Bey video.

7. It's not just paint. Buyer Beware!

April 28, 2016 at 8:59 am

“”So I was asked to do my Sacred Art of the Ori for the dancers, and what that essentially means is Sacred Art of the Essence. The dancers were my canvas, my muses. I would watch and listen to their dance, body movements, energy smiles and strength and try to bring out what they were capturing with the movements in my paint.

The paint is a white ink with very spiritual meaning in Yoruba culture. It’s something we often use as a dedication to worship of orishas, the gods in Yoruba religion.”””

– Laolu Senbanjo

“”Many people have likened Beyoncé to Oshun, the Yoruba orisha of womanhood. As someone with Yoruba heritage, how do you think she embodies Oshun?””

“”Oshun is supposed to be very beautiful, and I mean just in the sense of beauty alone you can already see that in Beyoncé. She is also very in touch with herself and very much about spirituality, giving, sensuality and power — all characteristics of Oshun.

And there are very different sides of Oshun, like her anger, which you Beyoncé channel in parts of the video like the part when she bursts open the door in her yellow dress and floodwaters come out.””

– Laolu Senbanjo

8. OBA DONATUS

May 5, 2016 at 6:28 am

I think its okay, they woman hasnt
    had an album is a while, she uses a
    combination of people and their
    talents which include this Nigerian, so
    its not so bad! I just see it like is she
    doing good, is it helping others, does it have entertainment value, then share
    us! Inspiration can come from