Style

BN Beauty: The Issue of Facial Hair…Should Women Shave their Faces?

There’s no denying that some ladies have more facial hair than others but is it okay to shave the hair on your face?

Some stars who were known for their beauty and flawless skin have done it in the past like Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe and even Cleopatra. Some women opt for this option because laser hair removal is expensive and painful while waxing is painful and can irritate your skin.

The topic was discussed recently on Today.com and according to them, beauty experts vote yes on this trend of shaving facial hair for women. The experts also debunk myths of the hair growing back faster and thicker than it was before shaving.

Watch the Today.com Video

Some benefits of shaving your face include thorough removal of deep layered dead skin cells, makes your skin look brighter and smoother, helps your beauty products penetrate better into your skin and it removes unwanted facial hair that ought to be on men, like that little moustache that gets on your nerves or worse.

However, if you have very thick curly hair, you risk the chance of bumps with ingrown hairs and your hair could puncture your skin when it’s trying to grow out again but may not happen in all cases.

Popular beauty vlogger Huda Kattan of Huda Beauty also approves shaving your face and claims it helps your make up look better and apply smoother. She recently posted a video of her shaving her face and some unwanted baby hairs along her hairline.

Watch Huda’s video

Ghanainan born British beauty vlogger, Chanel Boateng spoke openly about her issue with facial hair on her YouTube channel after openly removing her facial hair in one of her ‘Morning Routine‘ videos (watch from 1:26 mins). In this video about female issue with facial hair, she also mentions that it sometimes annoys her and her husband calls it Nigerian slang for beards, ‘bear-bear‘.

Watch Chanel’s facial hair video

So what’s the verdict, to shave or not to shave?

How do you deal with your facial hair issues and reactions from people around you?
Share your thoughts and let’s discuss!

CreditsPopsugarToday.com,

Eki is the Editor for BellaNaija Style and Lifestyle Editor for BellaNaija.com She has a Vogue Fashion Certificate from Conde Nast College of Fashion & Design and also attended Central Saint Martins, London College of Fashion and the University of Kent. Eki headed the Design Operations at a top Nigerian womenswear fashion brand before finding love at BellaNaija Style. Eki loves all things creative. Follow her on Instagram @ekiogunbor BellaNaija Style: [email protected] | @bellanaijastyle BellaNaija Beauty: @bellanaijabeauty BellaNaija Living: [email protected] | @bellanaijaliving

1. Anon

April 26, 2016 at 12:57 pm

I tweeze the five occasional strands that sprout on my chin.

2. Left Hand Bionic

April 26, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Facial hair can be embarrassing for some women and the stress of having to shave everyday or every other day can become so cumbersome. I started noticing some hair around my neckline while at university and just used BIC shaving stick to shave the few strands off, and the fact that i have thick hair didn’t help, it just started growing back fuller and wider in proportion with bumps as it grows…. I’ve finally been able to keep it smooth shaven with VEET shaving cream. Planning to have it removed totally with laser.

3. Nnenna

April 26, 2016 at 1:11 pm

NEVER!!! Hair removal cream, sugaring or plain ole wax!!!
    SN: Actually, it depends on your skin type sha! If you’re not prone to post-shave bumps then shaving could be an option.

4. bee

April 26, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I usually wax my upper lip an under my chin, but days i can’t be bothered with that i use the sally hansen facial hair removal cream. it works so well and has aloe vera in it so it leaves your skin moisturized.

5. Nnenna

April 26, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I used to suffer from really bad facial hair but since I started laser hair removal, it’s gotten better. The hairs take about 4 – 6 weeks to start growing again and they grow in a very fine, thin texture so no more coarse, dark hair!

6. MissCarameld

April 26, 2016 at 2:10 pm

I would suggest threading if people are looking for alternative measures.

7. Oli

April 26, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Some benefits of shaving your face include thorough removal of deep layered dead skin cells, makes your skin look brighter. Really!?

8. NaijaPikin

April 26, 2016 at 6:27 pm

I do laser on my upper lip and chin. In between laser treatments you can only shave so I shave occasionally (usually closer to my next laser session). Laser has been helpful. Takes a longer time for the hair to grow back, less hair when it grows back, hair grows back finer (not as coarse as it was when I started) and no bumps. However, its not cheap and its not permanent.

Someone needs to invent a permanent solution for hair removal. I swear only my brows and hair on my head will remain.

9. Natural Beauty

April 27, 2016 at 8:19 am

Hello Friends, if you want any herbal solution or natural way to remove unwanted hair for men and women skin without side effects then here are some awesome tips, I have used them..
    realbeauty.co.in/2016/04/best-facial-hair-removal/

10. Omooba

May 27, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I suffer with PCOS and the hair was so bad at a point. Laser is excellent from my personal experience; laser not only got rid of the hair, it also lifted the dead skin on my face, leaving me fresh faced. Yes, it is expensive but I think it is the best option. When I used to shave, I would be left with ingrown hairs and black spots. It would itch me badly and it was not sexy when kissing my husband in addition to the constant embarrassment of having bumps. I remember one day my 5 year old daughter saw me shaving and said” mummy why are you doing that, only men do that” I started out having laser treatments every month for 1 year, then every three months for the next 2 years and now I have laser twice a year and in between I don’t have to shave. Having laser done is slightly painful but the benefits outweigh the limited pain. Anyone considering laser treatment should please ensure they use a laser suitable for dark skin, for example ND YAG. Unfortunately I learnt the hard way and had serious burns. My long epistle is to encourage anyone struggling with hirsutism to please consider laser. It can make your life so much better.