Events

Lagos to Santa Monica…Uche Pedro of BellaNaija’s #KCA2016 Favourite African Blogger Adventures

2016 KCA Uche P009Hey BN Fam!
Thank you so much for your votes. I still cannot believe I won the Favourite African Blogger award at the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards 2016 on behalf of BellaNaija.
With all the fuel scarcity, the major heat all through Nigeria this year, dollar rate and everything in between, you voted and I am so thankful!

I have never written a travel experience post on BN because…I hardly ever get to go on any fun trips. I really prefer to encourage BN team members to explore the world instead but this time, there were no excuses, I had to go.

***
Nomination
Awards are great because they are a pat on the back saying “well done”. That said, there is something about voting awards that I tend to keep away from so when I got the nomination for the African Blogger award at the KCA 2016, I had mixed feelings. I was excited by the prospect but the thought of the voting process is not so aligned with my personality. As a media tech entrepreneur, I sometimes also question if I am really a “blogger”. I actually do blog every single day on BN…and even respond to comments as BellaNaija.com – shhh 🙂 alongside our amazing team as well as do all the other major entrepreneurial aspects of BN.

This process reminded me that it is important to maintain your core, Mark Zuckerberg reportedly still codes and I still blog and I’m proud of that.

Perhaps it is because I just became a mum last year but in the end, it really connected and I totally enjoyed the process.
Thank you to the Nickelodeon and Viacom teams for thinking of me and BN. Super grateful.

Heading out for the KCA Radio Tour

Heading out for the KCA Radio Tour

The Day of the Radio Tour

The Day of the Radio Tour

We did a mini radio tour in Lagos. We ended up stopping by Cool FM, Rhythm FM, Beat FM and Classic FM. Major thanks to all the OAPs, the BHM team, Onyinyechi from Viacom and the lovely Colette Otusheso.

Every nominee was filmed in their home country by the Nickelodeon team. I did mine in Lagos at the Viacom office.
Check out a photo from the day with producer Susan Younis-Khobane. It was great to have a female producer and the Nickeoleon brand manager Seun Oratokhai running the show – girl power! Thanks to the entire team and crew.

The Trip
I have never been to California so when the Nickelodeon team shared that all the nominees were going to attend the show in Cali, I began looking forward to it.
As the date of departure got closer, I started getting super nervous about the prospect of travelling without my babies but I knew they would be in good hands with their dad.

Flight to LAXI ended up leaving Lagos a day early because a last minute but exciting meeting came up in Dubai so I stopped by on my way to LA (more on Dubai later).

LAX
After flying for over 20 hours and travelling for almost 2 days, I landed in LAX. Luckily, we stayed in Santa Monica which is less than an hour away from the airport and the hotel was so beautiful and has arguably the best service I have ever experienced.

I arrived on Thursday evening and took that opportunity to get some rest before the KCA activities started the next day.

The view!

2016 KCA Uche P063

Banks – BM|Pro
I was having a casual chat with Banke Meshida-Lawal of BM|Pro in February. I gisted her about the KCA 2016 and she said “Oh I am going to be in California and Atlanta in March for a training and family vacation as well”.

What are the odds, right?!

After that, we made arrangements and Banke was serendipitously present in California during the KCA experience. Thanks so much to her. After almost 2 decades as a leading makeup artist and entrepreneur, Banke still has the motivation to wake up at 5AM to head over to a bride’s house, she still has the drive to learn new makeup and hair tips and tricks, she still does her job so excellently! My prayer for everyone reading this is that you are able to find your passion and enjoy the dividends by monetizing it as well. It was a blessing to have her there.

The Ladies
I have to say this, my fellow nominees are such remarkable young women;
Aisha Baker of Baked the Blog | Blog + Instagram
Theodora Lee of Theo’s Blog and Theo’s Vlog | Blog + Instagram
Silvia Njoki Kamau of Style by Silvia | Blog + Instagram
Please check out their blogs and follow on social media.

Day 1 – Character Breakfast
The character breakfast was an opportunity to meet the other nominees for the first time alongside Lindi Davids, Senior Marketing Manager for Nickeolodeon Africa. We got to have breakfast with SpongeBob SquarePants and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Check out photos below.

2016 KCA Uche P0102016 KCA Uche P0162016 KCA Uche P0182016 KCA Uche P1202016 KCA Uche P028

First Photos with the ladies

First Photos with the ladies

2016 KCA Uche P055

2016 KCA Uche P047

BellaNaija Founder @uchepedro is in California for the 2016 #KCA @nickelodeon_africa Look out for photos and more

A video posted by BellaNaija (@bellanaijaonline) on

Day 1 – Universal Studio
After breakfast, we headed out to Universal Studio, as you may have guessed from the frequent John Legend and Chrissy Teigen features on BN, I’m a fan so it was nice to see her as we arrived at Universal. She was doing an interview for her (now best-selling) cookbook – Cravings.

So random, first celeb sighting is girl crush @chrissyteigen #kca @nickelodeon_africa

A video posted by Uche (@uchepedro) on

After that, Aisha, Silvia, Theodora and I had a fun time on the various rides plus we got to meet Dora the Explorer.

2016 KCA Uche P001

#KCA @nickelodeon_africa @uchepedro Photo by @silvianjoki

A photo posted by BellaNaija (@bellanaijaonline) on

Eventually we got completely soaked under the rain after major rainfall in the middle of the day.

Day 1 – Nickelodeon Slime Soiree
We were exhausted and soaked in water after the Universal visit but we had to get dressed and head over to the Nickelodeon Studio for the Slime Soiree.

2016 KCA Uche P0582016 KCA Uche P060

Heading over to the Slime Soiree | Aisha, Uche, Silvia & Theodora

Heading over to the Slime Soiree | Aisha, Uche, Silvia & Theodora | Photo Credit: @theodora_lee

This was a mini get-together for international nominees from around the world.

At the Nickelodeon Studio - Slime Soiree

At the Nickelodeon Studio – Slime Soiree

On my part, as a media entrepreneur, it was great to see their office space and I actually stumbled upon an office idea which I will implement at BN HQ. It was also another opportunity to bond with the ladies so that was cool.

Day 2 – The D Day!
Breakfast. The breakfast at our hotel was perfection! The food was simply amazing at the Fairmont Miramar – The Fig Restaurant. Banke, Silvia and Aisha enjoyed our delicious breakfast and even ran into Damon Wayans afterward (the next day, we met Arnold Schwarzenegger as well)

The most delicious pancakes ever!

The most delicious pancakes ever!

Diet slaying breakfast

Diet slaying breakfast

The morning after…guess who @bodepedro @silvianjoki @bakedtheblog and I ran into at breakfast ?

A photo posted by Uche (@uchepedro) on

Ok, remember when I mentioned Dubai earlier? So I had spent weeks planning my outfit for the KCA. The super talented Deola Sagoe team and stylist Harvella Styles worked with me to create an amazing look. As I had to leave Nigeria a day earlier than planned, I was unable to pick up my outfit before I left. I can’t wait to rock it for another occasion.

Shoutout to all the mummies and everyone else trying to get fit. The “snap back” struggle is real, now finding anything to wear is like mission impossible. Don’t put yourself under too much pressure, you’ll get there in your own time.

I ended up getting something else to wear at the last minute and I loved it, so it all worked out.

Silvia, Aisha and I took photos before the event and then Theodora joined us and all we all enjoyed the show together. It was great to experience the show in-person.
Once again, I put my media entrepreneur hat on as I watched everything come together seamlessly. It was great to see and learn.

2016 KCA Uche P005

Check out photos below.

2016 KCA Uche P0812016 KCA Uche P131

Funny moment, they liked the shoes.

Funny moment, they liked the shoes.

2016 KCA Uche P0902016 KCA Uche P092

Winning!
I am SO GRATEFUL for the opportunity and winning was the icing on the cake. I’m sure everyone hopes to win when nominated for an award and I did too.

2016 KCA Uche P004
I had no idea whether I would actually win or not because all the ladies were really strong contenders and I had managed my expectations after being told historically Nigerians do not tend to vote as aggressively as people in other African countries…BellaNaijarians proved that theory wrong!
Praying that all your dreams and aspirations come to fruition.

THANK YOU.

***

When I got back to the hotel, guess who was waiting, Mr Pedro!

Hey

A photo posted by Uche (@uchepedro) on

His support is priceless. It was so refreshing to have this time together.
We enjoyed 2 days of baecation relaxation before heading back to reality.

That’s it.
Thanks once again to everyone.

x
Uche

1. Linsey

April 12, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I love you Uche continue to win …

• Chioma

April 12, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Words cant describe my love and admiration for you. I love you more(in the words of michael jackson). Keep flying. You look beautiful, some women actually look good with their babyfat. I recently had my baby too, the snap back struggle is real but I for some reason i like my added weight.. I had big smile on my face at the last part with Mr Pedro. That’s how i feel about my hubby. Nothing like a handsome supportive husband.

• [email protected]

April 12, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Nneeeeee kotinu to win o jarehhhhh we love you .The snap back no be joke I was a size 00 when I got married fwwd 15 years and 3 children let’s say I have embraced the new me ?and constantly working towards the struggle to shed the weight plus all this gmo food for yonder no dey help at all I am about to turn vegan honestly if this people don’t stop genetically modifying food.

• Osa

April 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Congrats dear

• Mamacita

April 12, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Beautiful, smart, successful and humble, way to go Uche and the BN team! ??? this blog, ? Uche.

2. ijedimma

April 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm

An award well deserved bella…..congrats once again. Keep sailing higher

• Damilola

April 12, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Uche, you are truly an inspiration. Beautiful inside and out. Your dedication, work to bella naija is admirable and well deserved. Amen to the prayer. Last bit with baecation is lovely and sweet. Bode’s suit is very nice. I wish you even more happiness and success.

• Morolake

April 13, 2016 at 9:49 am

You really are an inspiration Uche, you sound so humble and level headed. You are successful and so low key. I’ll keep saying it, true wealth and success doesn’t shout. God bless you and continue to enlarge your coast. I pray some other ‘bloggers’ learn from you.

3. Late bloomer

April 12, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Uche Pedro you are so beautiful and that smile

4. Mysteeq

April 12, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Congrats on your win Uche, well deserved. plus you look totally amazing (coming from a fellow mummy trying to snap back..lol)

5. Tomisin Magz

April 12, 2016 at 3:28 pm

You needed to say how i said awwwwwwwww when it got to the bae part. That was so sweet

6. Ada

April 12, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I love the last part, Mr. Pedro, Bae coming through.

7. Hmm

April 12, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Uche Pedro, this write up was so refreshing, humble yet declarative, I love it. From this simple write up, you gained a fan and supporter. This is what I like to see when I come to BN. May God continue to bless your hustle. Well done o, well done!

8. LEM

April 12, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Congrats again Uche! And thanks for sharing your experience and pictures with us. The pictures especially are lovely!

9. moi

April 12, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Ughhhhhh I love this woman so much!!!!! #womancrushtuesday 🙂 🙂 🙂 She’s so humble! God continue to bless you and your family Uche. You are an inspiration.

10. deni

April 12, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Congratulations Uche! More grease to your elbow

11. Miwa

April 12, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Congrats Uche! you will definitely continue to soar high.

12. My thots

April 12, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Uche has a good heart, it shines through, you can see it. God bless you and yours dear

13. jwezee

April 12, 2016 at 3:53 pm

At least my votes didn’t go in vain…congrats Uche, congrats Bella Naija!

14. Anne

April 12, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Uche, your success is proof that one can make it without giving up their value. You are humble, simple and reserved. Thank you for being an inspiration to me and other young women. I voted for you. It was the least I could do to thank you.

15. JELO

April 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Really hard works pays, you will continue to reap the fruit of your labour Amen.

16. Rachel Abu

April 12, 2016 at 4:05 pm

You are so inspiring Uche. Is it not just fanscinating how she keeps her life private and manages to inspire by being so humble and natural?
    Your last post was one of the most inspiring things I READ. It forced me to write a proposal for the radio show I’ve always wanted since I was 17. Next month I turn 21 and I am proud of the many things that post forced me to do.
    This one too is amazing. It has that calm that you cannot help but love from one of the most successful female enterpreneurs. I did not even know that you worked on the website, I thought you were the creative director and the one that did the business transactions. Your calm, your subtlety is everything.
    I am inspired again this afternoon. This time it is to let my work take me places and just be so calm about it.

17. Pink

April 12, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Congratulations!!!! A well deserved win.Bellanaija has many fans who are not Nigerian by the way. I got introduced to it by a Gambian friend when i was doing my masters in the US ( 2010-2012). I am Kenyan by the way and i read Bellanaija religiously. Congratulations to the other nominees!

18. olivia

April 12, 2016 at 4:09 pm

aww! I was just talking about this with hubby recently and he was so delighted to hear it like he knows you! I read this with so much joy like i was part of the fun and victory ..lol.
    I loved the prayer interlude.. and said amen to all.
    I loved the bae part.. every woman should get such.
    Keep winning Sister!

19. Loveoffootball

April 12, 2016 at 4:17 pm

From a long term to another congrats and you deserve every success!
    I have been inspired by your success and drawing from it from time to time.
    Wishing you many more success stories love to chairman and the little babies

20. ethio

April 12, 2016 at 4:19 pm

i love success stories. i do pray i create my own story one day big ups to you uche. mehn being an average igbo boy there’s no passion for you ooh just go to main market and bring food home!, lol

21. mely

April 12, 2016 at 4:29 pm

you are awesome and humble. keep it up you are doing a fab job. God bless you and your home.

22. Leah

April 12, 2016 at 4:30 pm

You were right in my neighborhood. CONGRATULATIONS!

23. NG

April 12, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Congratulations Uche and the BN family. More laurels by God’s grace

24. Luqman

April 12, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Abundant blessings to follow

25. abi

April 12, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Kisses to u Uche, and warm hugs for hubby for standing by u….The Joy of being married to a good man plus being recognized globally for doing wat u love to do passionately. Let d skies continue be the beginning for u (and me too)..amen.

26. Miss Shee

April 12, 2016 at 4:46 pm

You are different, I PRAY everyone also achieve their goals and purpose. You don’t give us give aways to gain loyalty. But we are still loyal. However, the day you start I go they comment like say na 9-5 job so I can win too.

27. Hannah

April 12, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Congratulations

28. bruno

April 12, 2016 at 4:50 pm

congratulations.

• Hadassah

April 13, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Uche you are Awesome…. Even Bruno had no negative thing to say….
      Hahahaha Bruno… Just kidding… You are also agreat somebody! Keep the positivity dearie

29. zelda

April 12, 2016 at 4:55 pm

yes,my woman crush,more grease to ur elbow

30. Queen Bee

April 12, 2016 at 4:58 pm

that bae was waiting part gave me goose bumps, there is nothing better than having a spouse who supports you 100%

31. Mummy A

April 12, 2016 at 5:07 pm

the beauty of ur spirit/personality shines through this write up…God’ll continue to elevate you as you stay humble…many manymoresuccesses to follow…#girlpower #nothingbeatsasupportivehusband #GodblessBNand UchePedro

32. billionaire in grace

April 12, 2016 at 5:07 pm

So this is the beautiful woman behind Bella naija.you have a great team Mrs Pedro and keep up the good work

33. Bey

April 12, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Awwww bless

34. Aderonke

April 12, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Congratulations Uche and all the BN crew, persistency they say pays! Greater heights for you and your team. Pats on your backs for job well done! Greatest BN! Great! *winks*
    Please can we have a special feature on your team as well? Who is who and what they do? Your team behind the scene for a great site as yours, all deserve “ovation” from us your followers!
    Well done Nwanne! *hugs*

• "changing moniker"

April 13, 2016 at 5:02 pm

i totally agree!!! Pls do a feature, we want to know you… you guys are a part of our family now

35. chilli

April 12, 2016 at 5:26 pm

congrats…i saw your nomination on linda ikeji blog and i voted.you deserve it

36. Noms

April 12, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Congrats once again my sis in my head.
    It was such a fun read and didn’t even know when I got to the end.
    May God continue to bless you and yours…

37. Tinkerbell

April 12, 2016 at 5:27 pm

My favorite part was the bae waiting part too… it was a complete win

38. o

April 12, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Awwww…. congrats Uche. I’m super stoked for you and so glad my votes were not in vain. And the bae part?? Awwwww… too sweet!

39. X-Factor

April 12, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Congratulations Uche!!!

40. Berry Dakara

April 12, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Another massive congratulations to you Uche. You’re truly an inspiration. You looked absolutely lovely, and Bimpe is a MASTER!

God bless!

41. Ene

April 12, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Aww.Great stuff.Amen to all the prayers and May God continue to increase your territory.CONGRATULATIONS.

42. Somiii

April 12, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Awwwwwwww. I totally enjoyed reading this. i think its a good idea to share your trips with us once in a while. Keep being you, and keep inspiring us.
    God bless your husband for his unwavering support, and God bless all the men out there allowing their women grow and shine.

43. seeker

April 12, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Congrats Uche, you are such an inspiration!
    My prayer for everyone reading this is that you are able to find your passion and enjoy the dividends by monetizing it as well. AMEN!!!

• Anne

April 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Amen!. Especially as to the monetizing part. I have a passion I am working on. I am seriously seeking ways to monetize it. That will give added much needed motivation.

44. DEE

April 12, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Ha ha, see all these hopeless romantic BN readers….everyone’s fav part is the end with BAE..lol

Mr Pedro did score some major cool points for that tho…..

Stay winning Woman..

P.S. That blue pant tho……gorg!

45. xplorenollywood.com

April 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Congratulations again Uche! Bode looking good dear….

46. oluwatosin

April 12, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Congrats Uche!

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us, the readers.

May you continue to grow tremendously. AMEN!

47. Tunrayo

April 12, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Congratulations Uche. Your website is like my go to website to see what’s going on in the world.

48. lacey

April 12, 2016 at 7:23 pm

lovely! This woman is so refreshing from all the highly bleached ladies you see coming out of that country! She is a good role model to the youths! Not brash and very level headed! Bode chose well! Continue winning!

49. why

April 12, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I kinda like you.

50. Chimmie

April 12, 2016 at 7:43 pm

I love Bella Naija….not comparing it to any other blog but they just seem to have this fabulous and exciting momentum around them, from the family to the BN Team. I wish i could work for BN, BN employ me naw…..Lol. This is a great blog. FIrst time i came across your blog, i loved it because of the way you kept showcasing Ndani TV products: The Gidi Up and go, then i also got introduced to the Ngee show through here and many other stuffs. I love that you’re not controversial; you’re simply! And that simplicity makes your blog extraordinarily fab. I’m not trying to wash you, but Uche, your blog is the best and deserves to represent Nigeria in the next three years (because after that, my blog is coming for yourss…..watch our 9jabuzz.com.ng) Lol. Love you.

P.S: Uche start a vlog now! We need to connect more with you.

51. Anon

April 12, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Beautiful classy woman. God bless you ?

52. Tosin

April 12, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Dora the Explorer!
    🙂

53. Sisi Yemmie

April 12, 2016 at 8:09 pm

You deserve it and more!!! Congratulations! You’re an inspiration.

54. priceless

April 12, 2016 at 8:23 pm

you are truly an inspiration and a role model. God knows I love and admire u.

55. Kemi Filani

April 12, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Awwwwwwwwww congratulations once again Uche!!!!

56. *curious*

April 12, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Congrats Uche! ?

57. mabel

April 12, 2016 at 8:54 pm

The first time I met you o you were a sight for sore eyes. Simply gorgeous, an embracing smile such a sweet soul. Not puffed up at all. I voted, you won and you definitely deserve it. Keep being you and don’t go changing *Barry White’s voice*. More grounds to cover and stay winning. Thanks for BN. God bless you.

58. Wale

April 12, 2016 at 9:06 pm

?Great Job!

59. Ariere

April 12, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Thajbk You for this Blog, Uche. God bless You and Yours!

60. B.E

April 12, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Amazing! Simply amazing. You are not only an example of what happens when we follow find purpose and follow your passion, you are an awesome example of what happens when you do all of the above and apply 1000% more!

61. Mz Socially Awkward....

April 12, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Az innn… Mr. P won major Bae points for turning up thusly. We gats to endorse am, he try.

Ya look good, woman! But you for help us turn the shoe well, make we follow the oyibos admire am… ? The snap-back, like everything good, will come. Just choose to be beautiful wherever you find yourself on the journey – and that, you are (plus… I never born but, nne, we’re all in the struggle together!).

Congrats again!

62. Fola Coco

April 13, 2016 at 12:43 am

Awwwwwwww,how [email protected] part.
    Congratulations Mrs Uche Pedro,many more to come. You are an epitome of beauty and humility. You exude confidence,brilliance,success,yet no airs. Congratulations to the entire BN team also.

63. Fola Coco

April 13, 2016 at 12:44 am

Awwwwwwww,how [email protected] part.

64. Cheekie

April 13, 2016 at 12:48 am

Congratulations Uche. You are not lucky you are blessed.

65. Aijay.....

April 13, 2016 at 7:58 am

Congrats. Really admire you.

66. keke driver

April 13, 2016 at 9:16 am

Congratulations dear….This is the beginning of better things to come.

67. VivLaw

April 13, 2016 at 9:22 am

Congratulations Uche! You deserved it.
    I voted several times and I’m so glad it paid off.
    Continue to inspire us, keep winning 🙂

68. Niyoola

April 13, 2016 at 9:54 am

Congrats! :*

69. Ima

April 13, 2016 at 11:05 am

mmmmuuuuaaaahhhh

70. bellabelle

April 13, 2016 at 12:30 pm

So interesting. You really had fun and I was the happiest person when you won. I was surprised though when you didn’t come up on stage and gave a pre-recorded thanks speech. Well done though
    P.S I’m a graduate in dire need of a job. I can work in any capacity at the moment as I need all the experience I can get. This is a plea to Bellanaijarians and in fact the bellanaija team to help out if they can. God bless you. I can be reached via this mail [email protected]

71. Xiomara

April 13, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Uche, Love you so much!….Bless up!!!!

72. Bennie

April 13, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Congratulations dear, God bless your hustle!

73. Aurora

April 13, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Your humble and amazing personality shines through this lovely article and you write so beautifully. I do hope we will read more write ups from you. You are so beautiful as well. Congratulations Uche and more grease to your elbows.

74. Topz

April 14, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Congratulations; God bless your beautiful soul; keep up with the good work. You are an inspiration to womanhood.

75. Oluwatoceen

April 16, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Congratulations Mrs Pedro,i enjoyed reading this piece and I love your personality already. Mr Pedro’s part got me awwwwing???#goals