News

“Ojota” is Trending on Twitter for Long Queues as Lagos Enforces Pedestrian Bridge Use

IK Nwosu

Ojota Queue2.jpg-largeOfficials of the Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI) and the Police Rapid Response Squad (RRS) stormed the Ojota axis of Lagos on Monday morning to make sure that individuals use the overhead pedestrian bridge to cross to the other side of the road.

Hundreds of individuals were pictured struggling to navigate through the overcrowded bridge as the KAI officials were stationed on post sides of the road, making sure pedestrians use the bridge. To ensure orderliness, RRS officers had to make pedestrians create a queue to cross the bridge.

See photos below:

Ojota Queue1.jpg-large

Photo Credit: twitter.com/tobioso

Photo Credit: twitter.com/mdahmed33

Photo Credit: twitter.com/mdahmed33

See some of the tweets below.

1. Tkum

April 11, 2016 at 4:09 pm

looool

2. ladyb

April 11, 2016 at 4:16 pm

law and order.

3. Delta geh

April 11, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Lol there is traffic even on a pedestrian bridge. Lagos, Nigeria I hail thee

• ATL's finest

April 11, 2016 at 8:13 pm

?????????????Ok I’m telling U! I Don die for laugh. Only in my Country Nigeria 🙂 abeg I LOVE my people / BN xuz after a long ass hectic day dealing with crazy employees & patients, I can raise my feet in the air & enjoy the sense of humor on BN. Una too much.

As for all these tweets, y’all sth else. I can imagine the sweat, BO, folks finding their missing rib & toasting babe ? hmm wahala all over the place. Well y’all enjoy the #Burstoffreshness# at Ojota Bridge.

4. StressfulmondayMorning#

April 11, 2016 at 4:17 pm

hmmmm,i experienced this today all my body still paining me.May God help us in this Country called Nigeria!!!Amin

5. Chibaby

April 11, 2016 at 4:24 pm

wow! Lagos state that means you need more pedestrian bridges. Ambode if you want to score points as a responsive gov.. Start working on that asap.

6. nene

April 11, 2016 at 4:29 pm

htraffic even on a pedestrian brodge? lagos is overpopulated. other cities need to start developing. too many cars, too many people

7. MrNaijaD

April 11, 2016 at 4:30 pm

This is me just thinking, does that old bridge has the capability to keep hundreds of people at a time, I hope these people will be safe I don’t want to hear the bridge collapse or someone suffocated.
    Safety comes first not obedience to law.

• P2

April 11, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Exactly my thought..God please help and protect your children..The level of suffering is really overwhelming. 🙁

• molarah

April 13, 2016 at 1:09 am

Its a recently constructed bridge – built around 2007. The old bridge was taken down to build it. So fear not.

• molarah

April 13, 2016 at 1:15 am

And by the way, this is safety. I pray your memory is not scarred with the horrifying visuals of a human being crushed to pieces while crossing a busy express road before you comprehend the idea that pedestrian bridges are good and safe for us. Ambode needs to construct a second Ojota pedestrian bridge though.

8. Blackbeauty

April 11, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Wow! I imagine bags have been snatched and phones stolen. Pele o!

9. Grace

April 11, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Only in Nigeria ….smh
    This is so pathetic

10. xplorenollywood.com

April 11, 2016 at 4:47 pm

It’s sad that KAI has to come and ensure we climb a bridge that it’s meant to protect us. As against crossing the express! Sure we need more bridges as the ones available aren’t enuff but thats not why they haven’t been in use all this while.

11. keke driver

April 11, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Nigerians can complain? common “Law and Order” is why they are complaining like this o. na wa o

• Debo

April 11, 2016 at 5:24 pm

You are such an insensitive fool

• keke driver

April 11, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Sweetheart, I’ve heard worse, ok? you think it’s better to cross over from one side to the other and get crushed/hit by a car? Mbah this is development I want….#GetUsedToIt

• Left Hand Bionic

April 11, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Thats not cool, for every new development something must suffer, learn to live with it, lagosians are so used to illegality that they see something legal as illegal. Come to think of it, using the pedestrian bridge is for everyone’s safety. I also support having the government build another one but hey buddy, learn to live with positive change

• ATL's finest

April 11, 2016 at 8:19 pm

@ Keke driver hope U know dehydration & excess heat & cuz instant fainting & can lead to death if care isn’t applied. So daryln Lagos is already a State flood with over population let alone going through that bridge. If I were to be base in Nigeria, I’d be FAR from Lagos State. So please be nice with your words. #ONELOVE#

• ATL's finest

April 11, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Suffocation is REAL daryln. Some folks suffer from internal body heat .

12. Hey Hey Hey

April 11, 2016 at 5:35 pm

what a mess!! i hope that bridge doesn’t collapse…na real wah!!

@BN – please see my message for the writer of this post.

Dear IK, welcome to BN but this your bio no be here oh….please you need to edit your bio shap shap. Adeola – you need to review bios for your writers before yall publish.

“Writing, Teaching, and Humoring are some of the words that describe me. I love BN.” – Humoring kwa?? This sentence is very wrong my dia. Humoring means something different from what you thought it was. Humoring is aka indulging, pampering, cater to.
    “Writer, Teacher and humor-filled/ humorous” are some of the words that describe me
    or “Writing, Teaching and sharing my sense of humor” are some words that describe my passions.

signing off, before all the Aunty Gwegwe’s will start tearing my post.

• Say what

April 11, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Your life must be really sad for you to write an epistle on the bio of a writer that neither knows you nor vice versa. Joblessness is not good at all, at least IK is employing his skills to write, pray tell what are you doing with yours? Nonsense.

• Hey hey hey

April 12, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Hey sweets! Relax jor, i didnt diss him and he def too my advice. He has updated his bio. I gave him feedback with a lil sprinkle of shade.
      My life aint sad boo, i am at a resort right now. So relax. Lol

• Say what

April 11, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Meanwhile, in your books sharp sharp is spelt shap shap and dear is dia, right? Olodo. Next time refine your English properly before writing crap about someone else’s.

• huh

April 11, 2016 at 8:29 pm

You seem to have a problem Hey Hey Hey. Get off BN and go sort it out.

• Hey hey hey

April 12, 2016 at 12:13 pm

My dia, i dont understand the busy body and her thirst for me

13. Sugar and Spice

April 11, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I used this bridge today and it wasnt funny. It took me 30mins before i could get to the other side. The bridge is not user friendly and the crowd was just something else. People had to hold their bags, phones, and even body parts very well so nothing would go missing. I atleast hope this enforcement stops at 6pm cos using that bridge at night? I dont even want to imagine all the things that could go wrong.

• ATL's finest

April 11, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Jesu not the body parts holding smh dear heavens

14. Koko

April 11, 2016 at 7:05 pm

I used that bridge today o and i couldn’t believe the long queue to get on it. Something has to be done urgently to ease the traffic. The bridge is quite safe. It is just too small.

15. lolipop

April 11, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Abeg its better like that ooo….its for our own safety……I recall the day i witnessed a trailer crushed a pregnant woman crossing to road to pieces!!!!

16. lolipop

April 11, 2016 at 7:28 pm

*crossing the road to pieces

17. Oluwakemi

April 11, 2016 at 8:48 pm

So this morning on my way to work, i saw people running like headless chickens to cross the express, i did not understand the commotion, am like can’t we just use the bridge then i looked up and behold i saw the bridge in its full glory, forget Traffic on the road, this was human traffic at its best, it was a gridlock, the bridge stairs was on lock down, i was too scared for my life because one fall from that bridge at that point, equals to a stampede and a few deaths, I went back and joined the headless chickens running to cross the express, cos the KIA guys had no choice but to open up a part of the express for people to pass through.

This evening, i joined the queue on oregun road to use the pedestrian bridge on ikorodu road, and after spending about 25 mins, i got to other side of the road where the queue had already gotten to ogudu road from ikorodu road.

Nigeria which way,

18. bp

April 11, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Lol, I think this just means we should watch how we pop babies.. Each family has atleast 10members(some have less some have more) I imagine 2030 at this rate. Please small small oo

19. Amy

April 12, 2016 at 4:16 am

Commenter “BP” thank you! One of the problem with Nigeria is overpopulation. Prayers are said for newly married to have triplets and quintuplets etc. even if they can barely afford to care for one kid. some families have 25 members, dad, 3 to 4 wivesand several children. The truth is apart from corruption which can be tackled by a serious government, we need to limit people to not more than 4 kids and 1 Wife. I suggested 4 so no one says “Africans have plenty of kids” etc. The truth is there isn’t the resource base to support such huge family sizes. People are just breeding into poverty, some expecting their relatives to help care for the kids not minding that the relative may have their own challenges. China had a limited or one child policy at some point if I’m not mistaken. However my Naija guys who have to impregnate girls after their wives already gave birth to 4 or 5 kids are the policy makers and rulers. From Obj ( I read he has 25 kids) to the local government level it’s breeding all the way! I once asked my graduating intern who was about to get married how many kids she wanted, she said she will have 1 after 3 years of enjoying herself with her husband! I know in the olden days they needed to have plenty of kids to help in the farm but not now. Rural urban migration has destroyed the few cities and even the rural areas are getting overpopulated. They even celebrate the acquisition of no 4 and no whatever wife and each wife must have her own triplets! The developed societies control population and plan for population increase. Just my thought. We want to copy developed societies, let’s look at what they do right and not just their malls, music and dressing/ hairstyles. Some minority low income groups here are guilty of the same thing and if you go to some of those neighborhoods the difference is that they have good roads, a lot of the houses are boarded up and there is crime. Sometimes the woman has 5 kids from 4 guys! But the average family size in the USA is less than 2. Overpopulation is bad but our rulers are the major culprits so it’s not even on their bucket list as they like superficial temporary solutions like making hundreds pass a bridge built for less people. I bet no one knows the engineering of that bridge in terms of capacity, God forbid any accident!

20. Teejay

April 12, 2016 at 4:43 am

My question is this what will it cost you to the next bus stop to cross the road, that is either you go to Maryland or Ketu to do your crossing than spend endless time on the queue.

21. SAD

April 12, 2016 at 8:21 am

To see what I see in Nigeria is just so SAD…really sad.. how do people have quality life here ? This is just sad… people are just getting by.. this a failed state of affairs.. people have learnt to embrace it as well. Even though we have our own problems but our quality of life is far better than what I see here..

• Mz Titilitious

April 12, 2016 at 11:30 am

pele…. at least we are surviving it! abegi we dont need ur pity!

22. yung

April 12, 2016 at 1:45 pm

god forbid the queue…down to ogudu rd..are they going to heaven?

23. maameE

April 13, 2016 at 9:36 am

I can’t imagine what will happen in the event of a stampede. Hmmmm…