News

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Increase Minimum Wage or Don’t Collect Tax from Minimun Wage Earners – Ben Murray-Bruce tells Buhari

Senator-Ben-Murray-BruceSenator representing Bayelsa East, Senatorial district, Ben Murray-Bruce has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to increase minimum wage to cushion the effects of subsidy removal.

Bruce made the call in a series of tweets late Thursday night.

The Silverbird Group Chairman had already pointed out that subsidy removal is a good policy, said that if the previous administration had not been resisted when it came up with the policy in 2012, “Nigeria would have had a better economy today”.

I actually believe Kachikwu took the right decision for our economy. But why did the then opposition frustrate GEJ from doing it in 2012?

THOUGH Kachikwu is right, the least FG could have done was copy GEJ and increase minimum wage before increasing the price of petrol.

Is it fair on the masses to ask them to pay double for fuel when we have not improved the economy or reduced what we in govt consume?” he said.

See the tweets below:

1. Just my 1 Cents

May 13, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I totally agree! In addition, the roads and light better be great with this extra new subsidy money they have ooooo.

• Teni

May 13, 2016 at 4:09 pm

You know they won’t.

2. LOVE

May 13, 2016 at 3:38 pm

NOW YOU ARE MAKING COMMON SENSE

3. Prince

May 13, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Minimum wage must be increase. That’s one of the way out. Everything have sky-rotted since yesterday. in as much as I agree with removing the subsidy, people shouldn’t spend all their earnings because of it

4. CovertNigerian

May 13, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Did GEJ increase the minimum wage to coincide with the fuel price rise or the during the campaign for the 2011 elections? I ask because I’ve seen this point made repeatedly, but I don’t remember that increasing wages was an action taken to directly offer relief for increased fuel prices.

That said, it does make sense to address the issue of people’s wages if you are going to dramatically increase the cost of living. Multiple senators have been tweeting their thoughts on the issue and even threatened to join protests, but I’m yet to read about any actual proposals to actually do something from within the senate as is actually their job. For example, is there anything that prevents a senator from proposing legislation to raise wages? Do that, pass it and let’s see if the president will veto it.

5. Laila

May 13, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Seriously though, how many people are actually on a salary to which the enforcement of minimum wage applies?……Civil servants? If minimum wage is increased will YOU pay your staff minimum wage as a minimum? Lets be realistic here. Any extra savings from this removal of subsidy should go into increasing the average Nigerian’s capacity to produce, i.e. improved electricity, road network, water supply, education, healthcare, and a system that works. If these are properly in place most people wont even care what the govt does. Enriching a couple of Civil servants through ‘Minimum Wage’ will only feed an already rotten system of too much at the center, and STILL leave the average person poor and un-empowered.

6. Beard gang

May 13, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Oga Murray-Bruce please ask Raji Fashola power. I remember when he boasted that any reasonable govermnent can fix power in 6 months. He increased tarriffs yet shortages have worsened. We are tired of PMB’s ministers showing us how brilliant they are on the news, WE NEED RESULTS!! and please nobody should mention that ‘we are not magicians’ bullshit. if you cant handle it step aside!!!! you guys will be one year in a few weeks, so sit up!!

7. kay

May 13, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I almost jumped for joy when I saw the heading-;TELLS’. I thought he actually TALKED. But alas, it was again, a tweet. Tweetator Ben Murray-Bruce! pfff. COWARD.

8. Middle Aged Profnl

May 13, 2016 at 7:10 pm

This particular senator is always spewing rubbish. I haven’t heard him suggest the National Assembly reduce their salaries and allowances by 50% to fund the new minimum wage he is advocating. I haven’t heard him ask his colleagues to return the cars given them funded by tax payers money, which by the way they had already been paid for in monetized allowances. I haven’t heard him advocating for the NASS to focus on their jobs I.e. passing laws to enforce the rule of law in the country, and to create an enabling environment for investments and innovation. I haven’t heard him come out to strongly condemn the bombing of oil installations and pipelines by his brothers in the Niger Delta.

From which revenue will Govt. fund an increased minimum wage for less than 10% of Nigerians that make up the civil service? More than 50% of Nigeria’s oil output have been shut in due to sabotage and bombing of oil installations by Niger Delta militants. Where is the money going to come from? Should the meager resources left be used to fund consumption rather than infrastructure that would unleash private sector potential which would inadvertently create wealth?

The sabotage of oil installations in the Delta has taken out more than 80% of gas required to supply power to the power turbines. Where is Fashola going to get electricity to supply Nigerians? Manna from heaven?

Nigerians, please address the real issues, and stop listening to people who lack common sense. Strive to understand and reason logically.

9. LemmeRant

May 13, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Why does this guy feel its more important to TWEET. You’re a FREAKING SENATOR for crying out loud. Who your tweets epp?

If you feel these issues are important why don’t you raise it up in the senate instead of on twitter.

Just trying to make yourself look good

10. Oluchi

May 13, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Who the tweet epp abeg? Use your voice, not your thumbs.

11. nnenne

May 14, 2016 at 12:26 am

Our Legislators earn a lot. It is about time their salaries are reduced . They need to feel and be part of the belt tightening! !!

12. timmyblast

May 14, 2016 at 7:22 am

He is a king of the tweet kingdom, fortunately for I’m not on twitter. So I’m not part of his colony. My pipo say: actions speak louder than words. My name is Timmyblast n that’s my 2cent