Scoop

“The Lekki place is not for you yet” Ebuka and Ali Baba tell People to Stop Living Beyond Their Means

Ali Baba and Ebuka Obi-UchenduEbuka Obi-Uchendu and Ali Baba both talked living above their means in the past day.

Ebuka called it a disease, while Ali Baba posted a photo saying, “Nothing is expensive. you’re just not the target market.”

Here’s Ebuka’s tweet –

Ali Baba’s post –Ali Baba_living above meansThese words rang in my head since I came upon them. Played them back in my head in different ways.

1. Don’t count your chicks before they are hatched.

2. When you get to that bridge, cross it.

3. You must crawl before you walk.

4. A child learning to walk doesn’t ask how much caskets cost.

5. To each it’s kind.

6. Cut your coat according to your cloth.

7. Everything has its season…

Now let me put this together. You can not ask why the questions in SS3 are so hard, because they are not meant for a JSS1 student. Just as you can not be an entry level banker and you are asking why you don’t earn the same salary as the GMs or EDs or MD.

If you decide to go to the UK by air, & buy an economy ticket, you can not be complaining of how the business class and First class tickets are too expensive. That also explains the differences in the cost of a Rolls Royce and Kia Rio. They are for different people. When the Rio people begin to complain about the cost of the Rolls Royce, then it’s a case of misplaced vent and total waste of energy. Or the Rolls Royce people asking why there is a Tokunbo car for 600k. Is it your Tokunbo? The reason you will continue to be angry at people who can afford something you can’t afford is because you don’t mind your business.

There is a 2 bedroom house for 800k in Ikeja that you can afford, but you are complaining of the 3.5m 2BRm in Lekki. How e take concern you? Lagbaja bought his land 160m, built it up with 65m. You know that but question why the rent is 3.5m. Your Ikeja house+land was finished with 40m.

Simply put, the Lekki place is not for you yet. As aspiration yes. Same thing applies to a lady who is used to certain lifestyles. She flies business class as minimum. You are now calling her high maintenance. Or she doesn’t like to eat at GHANA HIGH. Can you hang your shirt where your hand can reach, or just accept the realities?

A wristwatch is 2m, he can afford it, he buys it. It’s too expensive for you. Fine. Don’t beef. Buy a Casio, & tick off! Well as long as you are not paying for the expensive lifestyle, it’s ok. If tickets to a show is 2m, but you can afford the 20k ticket, stop beefing the guys on VVIP. They are not for you. QED

***

Photo Credit: Instagram.com

1. Marvel

May 13, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I concur. Nice one, Alibaba!

2. Babebu

May 13, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Ali Baba and Ebuka please keep quiet. Just because u Ali Baba ripped Patricia Leon of her hard earned and used her to climb the fame/wealth ladder. Cus we know very well she helped build ur career with ur dry boring jokes.
    Ebuka u can talk now afterall Cynthias father dashed u people a house. Gold digging men

• xo

May 13, 2016 at 5:52 pm

lol.. why you dey beef? just take the advice,mbok?

• Itha

May 13, 2016 at 6:02 pm

BAD BELLE! Where you their contractor when they were digging for the gold?
      You know you just exemplified what they were talking about right? Even if Ebuka did is it your father-in-law???????? Go and marry and get rich father-in-law to dash you house too. Ebuka and Cynthia’s house is not for you YET, simple! QED

• tish

May 13, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Wetin dey do dis one? They are saying A you are saying B, no correlation. If you want to live above your means, carry go. Otedola, dangote and adenuga should still have sons and daughters that are still single na, start plotting your graph, nobody hold u! Bitter person

• Abk

May 13, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Although Babebu’s comment was unnecessary, why are you guys mad that she spilled the truth?

• May

May 13, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thank you oh. The comment wasn’t necessary but it’s absolutely the truth. Ebuka is not the right person to say that. He was and Still that way so he shouldn’t throw stones because he’s secrets is not out.

• Fani

May 13, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Why are most poor people so bitter?

• nene

May 13, 2016 at 9:29 pm

dont mind both of them. and land in ikeja is more expensive than in lekki.

• Smh!!!

May 13, 2016 at 10:39 pm

This is undoubtedly one of the most unintelligent things I’ve read all year. Idk anything about Alibaba but Ebuka had at least 3 major endorsements last year, was on rubbing minds, the spot, close-up game show and some other sports thing. Please don’t all these things bring money??? Or his wife’s father put him there too? Ebuka is obviously doing well for himself and even a blind man can see it yet all of it counts for nothing because his wife’s father is wealthy. If i were his father-in-law I would give him a house and more, this is a man who is obviously and visibly hustling yet he is just a gold digger because he married into wealth. This is the jealousy Alibaba was talking about.

• DAR

May 13, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, but no it doesn’t bring any money. All these endorsements you think they pay them like that? Rubbing minds is contract, Adebola and Ebuka are friends, won’t be surprised if he’s doing it just for favor for Y naija or to be in the spotlight and for someone like you to know him. All these shows they do, is not that they get paid every month. It’s all in favor and promoting themselves and the brands they represent. Don’t be fooled by what you see on TV and what they post on SM. Tiwa’s story should give you a clue. 80% of these celebrities pple are hyped about are fake yeyebrities including The Ebuka himself. Sometimes pple who make comments are the ones who know them behind the camera and in person not on SM. So it’s not always about hating, beefing or bitter towards them. Trust me you will shake your head even more if you know them in real life and see things they do just to be in the spotlight.

• Smh!!!

May 14, 2016 at 7:52 am

DAR I know a lot of people lead false lives, but this sounds like a lot of bias just because you’re essentially saying Intel, gulder, rubbing minds, the spot, close-up no one put money in his account. If you believe all of them were for favors/apperances so I wonder what point Ebuka has to get to for you to believe he’s actually making money. I personally still stand by the fact that it’s extremely unfair to discredit his hardwork and earnings (this is hustle we can see oh, not just what he’s saying he does) because his wife’s father is wealthy. Granted he might not be able to afford some of the things he has now without her but he will definitely not be living in poverty. Someone would always be wealthier than the other, doesn’t make the less wealthy person a gold digger. I’m sorry I’m writing epistles about this it’s just I see myself as an Ebuka, born into an upper middle class family, I’m hustling for myself and I would hate to see someone call me a gold digger just because I marry into wealth.

• James

May 14, 2016 at 3:14 am

Ebuka is a gold digger jo. He should keep his dirty mouth quiet

• Omolola

May 14, 2016 at 11:49 am

452 likes as @ 11.47 am ,saturday the 14th!!!! ?! Ahn Ahn! my fellow BNers no chill at all.. @babebu am sorry but you sound really pained. What did this 2 do to you? pele ti e. Me I kinda agree with them,seen too many things happening around me.

3. corzon

May 13, 2016 at 5:48 pm

If you decide to go to the UK by air, & buy an economy ticket, you can not be complaining of how the business class and First class tickets are too expensive. ….ERMMM BIKO why cant I complain about over priced airplane ticket nkwa?…

• Dee

May 14, 2016 at 1:13 pm

If you are complaining maybe just maybe you should go on a cheapest cabin or cancel the entire trip. ??

4. Babycakes

May 13, 2016 at 5:56 pm

U bloody hater!!!! why don’t you also look for someone’s gold to dig into if it was that easy. I am sure you are one of the people referred to in those tweets, cut ya cloth according to your size today!!! Ntorrr

5. Beyoncé's Friend

May 13, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Nigerians can be so bitter. Let’s assume Ebuka is true living off Cynthia’s dad, doesn’t that mean he’s in a house he can “afford” to live in? And the house he was living in before he met Cynthia nko? You bitter souls forever missing the point. If it’s not that Toke is “too out there” or DJ Cuppy is “just a rich kid” or whatever.
    You’re hurt and bitter that someone is making the news and buying things you can’t afford, but you expect the Lord to do it for you abi? Shior.

• Abk

May 13, 2016 at 7:13 pm

It’s normal for father’s to give their sons houses as wedding gifts, however if I were a guy, I honestly will feel uncomfortable with My father-Inlaw giving me a house as a wedding gift; but that’s just me.

• Doc

May 14, 2016 at 6:42 am

Nothing wrong with it. In igboland it’s called Idu uno.
      My dad didn’t have 1/4 as much money as her dad and I still got an bigger sized SUV (which was an upgrade to the one I was driving then). So should my husband say he will never drive it because my dad gave it to me? Makes no sense. So yes he does, when his isn’t available.
      It’s good her dad did that, it reminds the husband that she didn’t come to the marriage empty handed. As some crazy archaic thinking Naija men may be quick to say “I made you who you are” or “what did you bring into the marriage?”
      It’s only an insecure man that will now read too much meaning into that. So it’s ok for your father to give you stuff, but not ok for the lady’s dad?? Park well!

6. Hmm

May 13, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Well…you can’t exactly compare the acquisition of wealth to the stages of physical development cos everybody under normal circumstances will walk but not everybody will get rich. There are a lot of poor hardworking people and a lot of rich lazy people. Time and chance guys and here’s one for you, Alibaba be humble and Ebuka be sensitive(I think this sounds like Teeblizz’s ish but I might be wrong sha)

7. chamazing chick

May 13, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Don’t mind the hater @beyonces friend. It’s the same set of people who will still go on alibaba and ebukas Instagram page to lick ass. Bunch of hypocrites! Just take the message and move on.

8. Just my 1 Cents

May 13, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I swear, this Nigeria scares the hell out of me. People are soooo pained and envious, it’s disgusting.

9. Spunky

May 13, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Gbam! Talk the talk jor…

10. Openletter

May 13, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Please Ebuka does need to shut up. He has a history and we all know it. Happy for him that he is now doing well but there was a time

• ATL's finest

May 13, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Lmao @ there was a time.

• @openletter

May 13, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Let him not close his mouth o. Leave him. Let him continue yarning dust karma will knock his doors and windows soonest.

Ebuka, check yourself before you post ish!!!

11. Strit Kredibility

May 13, 2016 at 7:04 pm

It is very difficult to give advice in Nigeria because the people giving the advice gan dont live their advise. Their advice is most times a device to perpetually keep themselves ahead of the game. Advice doesn’t work in Nigeria full stop. Everybody is trying to climb and pluck fruit and make juice and some people are saying the fruit is not ripe for them or too high up. Shuo, are you old Roger that is dead and gone to his grave yet got up to give people knock as they want to pick apples planted over his head? Leave them let them even kpaakpa sef throw stone, one day one pawpaw would fall for them.

Growing up all the advice i got in Naija didnt work, be good, be patient, be hardworking, be obedient, be nice, cut your cloth…. etc, no one work. It was when i saw thugs, gra-gra people and chancers becoming millo and billionaire and seizing the good life for themselves that i realized i have to advice myself before others use their advice to cage me. In a fantastically corrupt country like Nigeria anybody can wake up from obscurity the next day and become king giving advice anyhow. Lekki living, or la vida flexing ki n se amutorun wa na, its not a bequest from heaven. Dont tell people the good life you enjoy are not for them or not for them yet. Are you David Mark. Instead tell the govt to provide a level playing field so that all can get a lekki-esque life wherever they reside in Nigeria. Rant over!

• Just my 1 Cents

May 13, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Then ask yourself this question: do you want to be a millionaire/billionaire through fraudulent ways, so you can live the “Lekki” life by force, or do you want to struggle and make your earnings legally, and live a humbled and fulfilled life?

The sad reality is that a lot of people in Nigeria will choose the first, even if it means killing for it. God help us all. Greed and Envy is a disease. Be content with what you have, and ALWAYS give thanks. The so called ” millo and billionaire and seizing the good life for themselves” don’t have a great life after all. Don’t judge a book but its’ cover. You can NEVER live a fulfilling life by fraudulent means. You will have sleepless nights, always watching your back, etc.

• Strit Kredibility

May 13, 2016 at 7:48 pm

You are the one that added fraud to the comment. I didn’t mention that. I said don’t allow technical advisers tell you you cant make the team. Leicester fc just won the premiership, hello!!!

12. I said so

May 13, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Everyone has a history. Everyone! The fact that where ebuka is today is not where he was several years shows that he has grown and is doing quite well. If he could not afford lekki life and other luxuries before but now he can, it means he is progressing. Stop hating and pray to have the ability to afford things that seem beyond your financial reach now.

13. Lucinda

May 13, 2016 at 7:23 pm

IG beef brewing? These men are saying different things and Ali Baba’s post was after Ebuka’s post, I think. Ebuka feels the flashy guys are living on borrowed money to keep up appearances while Ali Baba disagrees, on the point that not every flashy guy is living on borrowed funds and that anyone who assumes that is beefing. And also, if you think the flashy stuff is expensive, you should only buy what you can afford.

14. Lolita

May 13, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Well said! Alibaba I couldn’t add more to this piece

15. Cheekie

May 13, 2016 at 7:41 pm

And what is wrong with a man coming up through a woman,or getting favors or blessings through her? Women have gotten all that through a man also.
    I don’t know about Ali Baba,but Ebuka was sitting around waiting for a billionaire’s daughter to come his way. He works hard,well read and makes his own money. And his family isn’t poor either.

I am sure they are both talking about their industry colleagues,we all know some of them live way above their means. But it’s also for everyone else trying always to be who they are not.

I don’t know Ebuka so you need not insult me.

16. Someone

May 13, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Omg. U are so daft. I’m crying ???

• Someone

May 13, 2016 at 7:47 pm

This is for Lucinda and m it’s conspiracy theory

17. concerned9ka

May 13, 2016 at 7:48 pm

@Strit Kredibility…that’s right!!
    People do it for different reasons…networking…aspirations…proximity to work..
    You cannot dictate to people how to live or conduct their lives..some build up slowly and make it..and some are just pretty ambitious and become an overnight success..
    And if they fail in the process they still have the experience of having tried…
    As long as you not paying their bills it’s all gravy…this advise is more suited for family members .

18. Cheekie

May 13, 2016 at 8:10 pm

*Ebuka WASN’T sitting around…*

19. pretty

May 13, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Every mallam with him kettle!

20. Bey

May 13, 2016 at 8:15 pm

It’s a nice message, but it doesn’t seat rite with me the way Ali Baba and Ebuka passed across the message. Too rash and condescending in my opinion.

21. Courage

May 13, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Ebuka’s advice sounds like a sub to me…

22. anonymous

May 13, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Android phone isn’t for you yet if you can’t active a reasonable data plan on it, don’t come and start complaining that data is expensive, buy 3310 mbok n aspire to get a smartphone later.

23. Author Unknown

May 13, 2016 at 9:50 pm

You can tell that these ones are from deprived backgrounds (and I honestly do not meant to insult their innocent parents). That I can’t justify spending the price of a First Class ticket does not mean that I can’t afford to buy one. It’s people like this that will be blinging and their immediate family members will look like 12 Years a Slave. Some of the world’s richest people are also some of the world’s most modest spenders. Not to your fault, lol.

24. Smiley

May 13, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Alibaba, please make una address your cousin’s story doing the round and condemn it, thank you Sir.

25. swagg1

May 14, 2016 at 1:08 am

Yes, that Lekki place is an overated substandard piece of garbage. With flood galore,no drainage system, lack of land planning, endless traffic, no water and undrinkable, brown water, electricity problem. BTW VGC is already sinking. So, why onearth does any right thinking person live there. Hideous place to live.

26. treasureD

May 14, 2016 at 4:11 am

Nigerians lik beefing dem dash Ebuka huz hw e tak affect ur business chioooo let learn to tak advice wen it cums, nobody better tin no dey hungry but all finger as God create am are nt equal. … I luv my life

27. anonymous

May 14, 2016 at 7:46 am

Activate **

28. Ememobong

May 14, 2016 at 8:07 am

I see nothing wrong with this advice, stop keeping up with the Joneses to the detriment of your pocket and future. If one is already doing so, stop it. If you are not yet caught up in the hype, congratulations, continue to maintain your lane.

29. IJS

May 14, 2016 at 10:18 am

I agree with the advice..it just seems weird to be coming from Ebuka right after he got lucky and married well

30. Checkered

May 14, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Meanwhile uncle Alibaba some properties are way more expensive than Lekki. Please relax with the unnecessary status quo.

31. Prince

May 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Why the quarrels and insult. The men are entitle to their view. Take the advice or scroll pass it. Abuja is even the worst place to see such people. FAKE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. Cut your cloth according to your aso-ebi

32. Dee

May 14, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Thank God you are not a guy.
    any guy that has a problem with this, needs to pick one. Poverty or pride?? You don’t have and you also don’t want. LOL JOKERS!
    Who has pride helped? Cmon Better drop it and collect, collect.
    The key, is about understanding each other and know better not to look down on the partner that was gifted but respect & love regardless.
    Also, know what you put out for people to feed on.

Regarding ebuka speaking on this. (No words)

33. Shooo

May 14, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Lol you’re just mad because after reading this post you realized that all the nice things in life are not for you yet. Bad belle