News

FG Scraps Post UTME as JAMB Pegs Cut-off Mark for 2016 Admissions at 180

BellaNaija.com

Minister of Education - Mallam Adamu Adamu

Minister of Education – Mallam Adamu Adamu

The Federal Government Thursday scrapped the conduct of Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) for candidates seeking admission into higher institution, The Nation reports.

This was announced on Thursday in Abuja by the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, after declaring open the 2016 Combined Policy Meeting on Admissions to Universities, Polytechnics and other higher institutions in Nigeria.

“As far as I am concerned the nation has confidence in what JAMB (Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board) is doing. The universities should not be holding another examination and if the universities have any complain against JAMB let them bring it and then we address it.

If JAMB is qualified enough to conduct tests and they have conducted test then there will be no need to conduct another test for students to gain admission,” Adamu said.

The Minister also asked JAMB to stop extra charges on several categories of changes on admissions such as the change of course, change of school and others.

Meanwhile, JAMB has put the cut-off mark for the 2016 admissions at 180 into all universities and higher institutions in the country, including polytechnics, colleges of education, and others.

Professor Dibu Ojerinde, JAMB’s Registrar and Chief Executive Officer, after a long debate with delegates from various institutions, told journalists that no institution would go below the 180 cut-off set by the board.

He said: “180 is given, no institution will go below 180 this year, And some universities can go above it, I know University of Ife will not go below 200 and University of Lagos will not go below 200 and also UI. All these ones stand but 180 as bench mark for others.

“This year we have more than enough candidates, we have over 1.5 million candidates so we will get enough candidates to take in all the schools if they are serious. Re-distribution is already ongoing, because it is embedded in the registration procedure,” he said

1. Bella Thorne

June 2, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Pleaseeeeee let them scrap NYSC as well. I’m already dreading that waste (yes I said waste) of one year of my life.

2. Cika

June 2, 2016 at 8:54 pm

I loved the idea of the post ume because individuals who didn’t have money to bribe or didn’t know people in higher places still got admission into school ,because it was assessed based on their performance and not who they knew.
    In my opinion i think JAMB should be scrabbled while they allow Universities conduct their own entrance exams.this would help the student,for instance if they fails the exam for one uni,they have an option to prepare better for the next uni thereby having more chances of entering the universities.

• Nonye

June 3, 2016 at 9:48 am

I think I understand the reason you want JAMB to be “scrabbled” and why student “fails”. Gosh!!! It is for this same reason, we expect JAMB to be more competitive and find ways to make the examinations a true test of knowledge.

3. Weezy

June 2, 2016 at 9:01 pm

I look forward to the scrapping of post-university NYSC for graduates seeking relevant work experience and a living wage in 21st century Nigeria.

4. Mz smiles

June 2, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I really think this has been long overdue.Good that they eventually reversed back to status quo.

5. ucylo

June 2, 2016 at 10:32 pm

This is actually a very positive development but why are those three universities exempted from the Minister’s mandate. This can cause rebellion from the rest of the schools for obvious reasons…

• valentine christian

June 6, 2016 at 12:42 am

You are right..?

6. Gemonyi

June 2, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Great news!! I hope Unilag would adhere to this development.

7. adeniyi wasilat

June 2, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Is the news meant for federal university only or state university and federal university

8. Opeyemi

June 2, 2016 at 11:42 pm

so how will students be admitted now
    and how will they be aware if they have been given admission

• ije

June 7, 2016 at 8:54 pm

I would love an answer to this question too ?

• glory austine

June 9, 2016 at 11:16 pm

What about schools dat have written there post utme will dey cancell it. Why am asking this is dat student who choose the school and couldn’t met up with the school post utme, is there still hope for them gaining addmission into dat school?

9. Mummybubu

June 3, 2016 at 12:10 am

Wrong move. For me, I think UME should be scrapped instead

10. ElessarisElendil

June 3, 2016 at 12:19 am

Just look, while we’re at it, might as well scrap examinations. Who needs standards!!

I’m sorry for Nigerians when will they wake up to the 21st century?

This is NOT a good thing.

11. uchendu romey

June 3, 2016 at 2:39 am

thank sir you hv done what I hv being looking for since God bless you no more conducting post utme again!!!

12. Puzzles

June 3, 2016 at 7:10 am

This is not a good development as Post UME gave people like me who chose to remain honest during JAMB and Post UME the chance to gain admission into the university without cheating or bribing anybody. It’s no secret that there are special centers for writing JAMB and you will see people who cheat scoring as high as 300. Post UME helped flushed such persons out as the level of invigilation is much stricter in the universities than in JAMB centers.

So no, this is NOT a welcome development. The only people that would be happy about this are those who cheat/plan to cheat during JAMB exams.

Instead of scraping Post UME, please scrap JAMB and NYSC.

Seriously, NYSC these days is a waste of time and even lives as I know persons who lost their lives during their service year.

Or, if NYSC must remain, corpers should be posted to their hometowns as many people today do not even go to their villages. This will help them the opportunity to know their culture and give back to their communities through various projects they choose to embark on. And most importantly, their host community won’t turn on them to kill them during tribal or religious crisis.

• Mrs Olaniyi

June 15, 2016 at 2:35 pm

You gave good points and I totally agree with your views on the NYSC. I wish this can be taken into consideration by our Educational sectors.
      Welldone and more wisdom.Thank you.
      Mrs Olaniyi

13. olatunde

June 3, 2016 at 7:55 am

14. olatunde

June 3, 2016 at 8:03 am

Bt let think dis twice……if they have truly decide to cancel the conduct of postutme in all universities, how will student be admitted into their universities??……for example a university like U.I, In department of law have more than 2000 candidate who meet up with the sch jamb cutoff mark which is 200…..xo is it possible for u.i to admit such huge number of candidate???…. xo tell me why u.i wont conduct postutme…….i dnt tink this policy was rilli “brainstorm” ……my brothers nd sisters what do u tink abou my opinion???

15. precious marley

June 3, 2016 at 8:59 am

it took a long tym coming,but would the bribe taking for admission also stop?shaaaa God dey

16. Ezinne Osuagwu

June 3, 2016 at 9:39 am

So we lower the standard so that more people can get into school, and half-baked graduates can come out with certificates. This is not a good development, scrap what you want but our standard of education is low enough. Let’s tackle the real issues here. If students were taught better, the 200 mark will be too low. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not left out, my education could have been better if my school really challenged me to read, and were true to their promotion cut off marks. In OLA yaba, back then, you weren’t promoted if you didn’t reach the cut offs, I changed schools, the teachers were lax, and I too became unserious,
    Corruption is everywhere, that’s why graduates, wit 2’1 send cover letters with “am a graduate, am 25 years old” We need to raise our standards not lower them. Challenge our students to read, university is not for everyone, if you can’t make the cut then please learn a trade and let parents spend on children who want to excel.
    Better still let our children read what they enjoy, they can only excel in areas that interest them. My dad wanted me to read medicine and even registered it in my JAMB form, I wept. I hated PhyChemBio, so how I go do? English saved me and helped me pass because I didn’t pass those three, but I got 70+ in my English which covered for my failure in the others and I passed the cut-off mark. No, I didn’t read medicine.
    My boss and I have been trying to recruit staff and the cover letters we receive say a lot about our standard of education.
    Let’s face the real issues, better education, not lower standards.

• ElessarisElendil

June 3, 2016 at 10:57 am

Better education would require either spending more money or admitting less people. Do these two things strike you as sacrifices Nigerians are willing to make.

I pity these ones when they have to compete with students from countries with higher standards over the few jobs robots will leave us.

17. Okafor Geraldine

June 3, 2016 at 9:46 am

pls I score 176 can’t I gain admission?

• ElessarisElendil

June 3, 2016 at 10:54 am

Yes there is thing called a College of Education. Try it out.

18. GLORY

June 3, 2016 at 10:04 am

okay o
    bt my own is that they should scrap NYSC shikina
    am just here waiting for batch b and even the nysc excos do not even know when batch a stream 2 will go to serve
    abeg IT SHOULD BE SCRAPPED
    ANYWAY I TRUST MY VERY OWN UNIBEN THEY WILL NOT REDUCE THEIR CUT OFF MARK FROM 200 ALSO
    LOOOOOLLL

19. Happy Emmanuel

June 3, 2016 at 10:40 am

The idea of scrapping utme is a prudent one bt at d xame tym it’s not cos y will dey scrap utme without giving us the citizens d next step to gain admission into their various schools.. It will b better dey scrap JAMB nd leave Utme..

20. Samuel Okposin

June 3, 2016 at 10:45 am

Post-UTME which I may term as “one out of varied component that aids corruption” in the country’s Educational sector has been given a final blow of all time by the Muhammadu Buhari’s Led Administration. Though in time past, it seems impossible for the Federal Government to come up with such a policy re-direction. This only act will remain an Ultimate feat of this Administration as it will encourage the teeming Nigerian Students’ and other key Stakeholders’ who are always challenge when seeking admission into Colleges of Education; Politechnics and the nastiest of all, Nigerian Universities due to numerous unnecessary placed bottleneck. 365 days down the line of this Administration, the feat recorded by Federal Government is very recommendable; I appreciate this Administration for taking a bold step towards repositioning the Nigeria’s Educational System by scraping Post-UTME which is the greatest impediment to Nigerian Students’ seeking admission into Tertiary Institutions in the Country. This is a positive step in the right direction. Indeed, this policy re-direction will spontaneously serves as an encourage booster to all key Organs and Publics of the Educational sector, hence improving the psyche of Nigerians Students’ and Parents’ towards embracing Tertiary Institutions within the Nigeria instead of perpetually patronizing either the neighboring country or Overseas Institutions.

• Vivian.U

June 15, 2016 at 11:37 am

Well….. If u ask me, d scramble of Ume is quit nice because parents will atleast add money to dat one and run d admission process for their children but what then happens to candidate who hope on Polytechnic, who there mark is 170 upwards since the jamb cut the Jamb cut-off is 180????

21. Abo Daniel

June 3, 2016 at 10:53 am

cancelling post utme does not in any way lower standard of education. it is not up to 15 yrs now that schools started writing posy utme but standard of education then was better than what we have today. why one must pass through 2 different exams just to gain admission in higher institution of leaning? It is just way of extorting money from candidates

• Ely

June 3, 2016 at 10:07 pm

so how can someone know that he has been admitted please

22. Akpan idiongomfon etim

June 3, 2016 at 10:55 am

It’s a good idea, because that will show student real intelligent

23. Joseph

June 3, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Eh thank God, now na poor man pikin go go school:yes let them go with their aptitute test.

24. victor chibuike

June 3, 2016 at 12:30 pm

shall I love this new development. BT the educational board should try to see DAT jamb will be conducted in a manner that candidates who will take it must shurely go beyond average be4 sitting for the examination

25. Fm

June 3, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Wt abt dx wu scrd below 180 cant dy gain admission into poly

• Kemisola

June 3, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Olodo, why didn’t you score more than that?

• Iyanu olu

June 3, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Not fair

26. obido gift ginikachi

June 3, 2016 at 1:15 pm

dats an upright move!…look at it in this perspective….after passing general exam dats d utme, u get a brilliant score…i mean you re good to go….buh dere is a total unfairness whereby after writing post utme…….whatsoever, u nid to strike a deal with a lecturer before u can secure admission in dat school….imagine!

27. emmyluv3

June 3, 2016 at 1:20 pm

what will happen to those that their scores is 190 and when they have many people that score 290 in the same courses? am scare to death with this policy

28. malcolm

June 3, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Well, all I know is that they will still find a way to make it hard for nigerian students to enter school…..

• Samuel Okposin

June 3, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Untill then, we shall know the next measure to take.

29. ab

June 3, 2016 at 9:44 pm

good idea! we shall soon be there,no room for bribery before admissions , discrimination, dichotomy and bad segregation

30. hardex

June 3, 2016 at 9:47 pm

My brother score 170 can he go to poly

31. Ely

June 3, 2016 at 10:01 pm

so how can someone know that he has been admitted please? ????

32. segun Ajayi

June 3, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Anyways, post utme scrapped or not will not change the standard of any tertiary institution, but the basic advantage I can see in it is that_it will help candidates and parents spend less (no more post utme form) .
    But another disadvantage there is: jamb only stated that “both universities, polytechnic and college of education should accept 180” mind you, schools have every right to increase their cut off even for jamb . for instance, schools that accept that a candidate who score 180 and above for accountancy is eligible for their post utme will no longer accept that score . They might decide to make it 220 and above . Believe me honestly for medicine and law student 250 and above will suffice it. so it’s quite obvious that: this is the survival of the fittest
    Mind you since schools will no longer have access to extort money from aspirants through post utme, this might make them deem it fit to place an increment on their clearance fee, acceptance fee and even school fees . God is still on the throne to answer prayers . Put Him first and you will come out first .I wish myself success and you all success @see you at the top . Victory is sure

33. Truth

June 3, 2016 at 11:04 pm

this policy isn’t right at all. what will happen to candidates who scored below 180???….universities,polytechnics and colleges of edu all 180 and above?? haba….abeg make dem start this policy next year.

34. Ekuma

June 4, 2016 at 12:51 pm

is this policy for this year or next year??….

35. faith

June 4, 2016 at 5:24 pm

yeah..it’s a cool idea n also a bad one…

if u dunno someone in prestigious universities now its a thin line for u to gain admission..thank God for post ume.. its has really helped lotta people buh still yet even wen u pass cut offs u have to be prayerful… schools cant go against FG buh wah i think would happen is that after the first semester.. they’d so much reduce student cox that’s the only area they c
    an pick their best… #just saying…. more importantly let’s read our books n put God first.. no matter the policy it’d surely favour us..

36. Nkem

June 5, 2016 at 12:24 am

Its actually good because it curbs corrupt practices in schools. Some people actually pay to increse their post utme scores.

37. Idowu omolara

June 5, 2016 at 1:13 am

It’s a good idea but I hope it works out

38. jenny

June 5, 2016 at 6:51 pm

i just hope 190 will carry me for my course

39. agboola adam

June 5, 2016 at 10:03 pm

40. emmanuel john

June 5, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Pls mr adamu if both uni and poly is 180 so result of d school should be in same levels it unfair cause many students that thier grade is nt up too 180 are think right nw he spoil many student plan pls consider too. Change the cut off mark uni and poly should nt be in same levelz plssssssss reconsider sir

41. valentine christian

June 6, 2016 at 12:38 am

Scrapping post utme is not the issue..even if they put the cut-off mark at 180,student will still fail jamb..nevertheless. it’s a good thing..

42. kunle

June 6, 2016 at 7:00 am

Please …I scored 174 they should help us ooooooo

43. joshua

June 6, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I think it’s a good development but i don’t know how the admission process is going to be now. How will i know know if i have been admitted.

44. micheal

June 7, 2016 at 8:53 am

The police is not good enough cus is not all candidate that score up to180 and we should consider some people.some people have computer problem this year so please reduce it to 170

45. emmanuella agabi

June 7, 2016 at 4:23 pm

y are people never contented always complaining,dis a nice development,becox i see no reason people wil suffer and read and pass deir jamb,but post utme wont favour them ,becox de dont have people dere in deir selected schools

46. Biby

June 7, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I scored 203,and received an admission offer from maurid poly in akwaibom,is it from jamb or the school?

47. isanno

June 7, 2016 at 10:58 pm

pls sir consider dose dat have below 180 atleast 160 dis year becos of computer failliur

48. darasimi

June 9, 2016 at 6:32 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmm…… d way out is 2 reduce d p.utme fees or during d p.utme exam the examiners shld set related subject according to deir courses as their p.utme question..

49. Kayode

June 11, 2016 at 9:36 am

Pls wat abt does DAT hav done their post utme like Oou wat will dey do

50. HOPE IK

June 12, 2016 at 12:03 am

Pls Is Uniben Also 180

51. Mohammed

June 14, 2016 at 10:53 pm

it’s only federal government universities included DNA and Nigerian police academy?

52. ken

June 17, 2016 at 8:47 am

That scrabbling did not work cos OAU is written post ume tomorrow.so fG is just seeking relevance.

53. ifeanyi

June 29, 2016 at 10:38 pm

pls sir how would u knw DAT u have being offered admission.

54. Promise

July 1, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Jamb is better scrabed than post utme as rich people write jamb with 40,000 and pass jamb in special centre while poor man that rejister with only 6500 fail jamb, plz FG Universities are better to conduct their post utme as i think they know the major they will take to get best candidates so far, so jamb should be scrabed and not post utme coz it has suffered us to much

55. Adebayo

July 2, 2016 at 3:45 pm

How wil student know when given admition

56. Einstein

July 3, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Our educational standard had been on the sickbed while our examination conduct is already dead. Secondary schools’ exams, O’level exams, Jamb, Post utme and various works’ interview in Nigeria are like baskets. At every level of education where Nigerians are the coordinators! transparency is just a dream of unrealistic.

I support the scrap of putme. Because if at everystage of education, exam is conducted then there’ll be more corruption but as the exam at some stages are scrapped then corruption is also scrapped at those stages.

Lets have few tough and strong examination stages. Its better than having many useless and unneccessary exams which give birth to corruption.

57. Elijah peter

July 5, 2016 at 4:09 pm

this could be very good decision
    but the problem is that, how can we cope we that applied with awaiting result

58. oladimeji

July 9, 2016 at 2:51 pm

What about schools that has written post jamb what will happen to them???…cos I have written mine ooooo help us

59. richard abel

July 18, 2016 at 11:05 am

i have above the cutoff mark for jamb and yet i have not been posted so how long should i wait..

60. ROBINSON

July 24, 2016 at 10:28 pm

PLEASE JAMB SHOULD SEND GUIDE LINES ON THE ON GOING ADMISSION FOR STUDENT TO KNOW THERE WAY FORWARD

61. Emmanuel

August 29, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Why is difficult to get admission this year? i only score 172

62. Ibukun

March 31, 2020 at 3:00 am

I enjoy your site with practical and useful information. It included a very nice post with a lot of our resources. *Best solutions channel for schools and colleges*