Events

Must See: Alicia Keys’ No Makeup Look to the 2016 BET Awards – Would You Rock a Bare Face?

BellaNaija.com

alicia keys bet awards 2016 bellanaija 2016 IMG_9226

Looking fresh out of a facial, Alicia Keys opted for a bare face at the BET Awards red carpet this year.

This comes after appearing on the cover of Fault Magazine also without makeup saying, “I’m learning to try and let go of the word “perfection”. Once I can teach myself that there is no perfect and that I am meant to have my FAULTS, that is when I become beautiful.”

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 26: Alicia Keys attends the 2016 BET Awards at Microsoft Theater on June 26, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by C Flanigan/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CA – JUNE 26: Alicia Keys attends the 2016 BET Awards at Microsoft Theater on June 26, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.

What are your thoughts? We all like that face beat look but would you go makeup-less for such a big event?

Photo Credits: C Flanigan/Getty Images, Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images.

1. Teni

June 28, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Ask Joy Bryant. She’s been doing this for years.

2. amaka

June 28, 2016 at 3:46 pm

She looks like a star! she’s gotten rid of all the spots…. that’s probably why she’s going barefaced. she used to have a lot of spots/freckles before… No I would not go bare faced to such a big event.

• Gerrahia

June 29, 2016 at 2:35 am

This bella naija commentors, everybody must have insider gist even if they manufactured it in their living room. “She has gotten rid of her spots, she used to have ….. before”. Amaka, how you take know? Was she also your neigbour in Wuse Zone 2? Rme

• Koko

June 29, 2016 at 12:24 pm

She did many ads for pro-activ(the acne clearing product line) so its pretty common knowledge. She said so herself in the ads that she had pimples

3. AdaM

June 28, 2016 at 4:02 pm

It is not just for the event,she has totally ditched makeup. She said that a few months ago. In her words, “I am done with makeup”. She still is beautiful.

4. Spunky

June 28, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Me likey. It will be refreshing seeing more ladies take the risk.

5. Que

June 28, 2016 at 4:15 pm

You can afford this type of play when you have talent, intelligence, are comfortable in your skin, and have an interesting personality to keep people locked in! I can. it helps that she looks younger than many over caked 20yr old faces today.

6. Prince

June 28, 2016 at 4:32 pm

That’s Alicia Keys plus that’s what she wants and she’s still very beautiful. Sometimes, you just have to be YOU and stop hiding behind all those panel beating work.
    #classyaliciakeys

7. Meah

June 28, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Hate to be a party pooper but she does have make up on. check her lips and brows. The make up is minimal, yes, but her face is not 100% make up free. She looks good though.

8. Oma

June 28, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I can, i do. I go bare faced to work every Friday, and one of my colleagues does too, i guess we are just confident in our looks like that, lol.
    I go bare faced Saturday and Sunday if i am not attending any important function. And i have gone to Church bare faced sef when i wake up late and have no time for make up.
    Make up is overrated! :))

• ATL's finest

June 28, 2016 at 5:06 pm

U me both!!! I hate when I feel like my face is clogged up & the pores can’t get out :).. I go everywhere & anywhere without make up. It ain’t that deep abeg. Weddings yes, ⛪ depends on how I feel, work #NO#.. It don’t affect me in anyway.

• Doctor 68009

June 28, 2016 at 5:55 pm

You sounded like Nma my sis, she does no makeup and looks breath taking.

• "changing moniker"

June 29, 2016 at 12:50 pm

i do too!!!!

9. December Wind

June 28, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Nice stunt Alicia , I like … But do I want to see you like this all the time … Hell no! Don’t get me wrong – you’re amazingly beautiful .. But makeup is way beyond what y’all think it is right now .. It’s an art ! It’s creativity ! It’s an illusion . I know some of you won’t understand this part – it’s inspirational… I’ll explain later

Moreso it’s quite trendy and fashionable. It’s okay if you choose not to wear makeup but don’t make it seem like those who do , have not embraced their imperfections or are uncomfortable in their own skin

Love you still …

10. whocares

June 28, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Every day is bare face for me, so.. Its actually nice as well cos less makeup means your skin gets less gunk etc and it gets better. That is not to say I will not beat that face within an inch of its life when I have to turn up or go anywhere outside of my usual places (work, friends house, nearby pub and the likes) she was very brave to rock her bare face to an award; however, she looks fantastic without makeup so its not as if it’s a massive sacrifice on her part. Her skin is nice and glows etc. some people don’t have this much confidence because of the skin problems they have and excessive scarring and all that makes them self conscious. Point of my mini epistle, to each his own. If you like bare face, do you. If you don’t, do you as well. There is no need to divide ladies into even more camps than we already have!

• Mz Socially Awkward....

June 28, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Girrrl, I can’t even front – everyday is face-beat day for me. What?? I’m the chick who rocks her entire lipstick catalogue (from goth dark to fire-engine red), to her dayjob.

And I don’t curr! ?? Love me some make up & there is pure joy in my heart when I’m prettying up this face in the mornings. Someone at work once passed a snarky comment about how she doesn’t see the point of getting glammed up for anything other than a Friday night and I calmly told her that I’m too vain for that school of thought. These lips have to be puckered in something bold, baby, and these eyes have to be shadowed and lined as well as mascara’d … so they’ve now come to accept my “Everyday is A Day to Look Hot” approach to personal presentation.

Using make-up isn’t always about contouring/bronzing your face within an inch of its life… Some girls like to just slap on a li’l som’n to bring that additional “oomph” into their daily look. And how I love my oomph, all day, everyday! ?

“Shallat” to the women who rock it barefaced and “shallat” to the sisters who love to create a new look for themselves as each new day dawns!! ??

• whocares

June 28, 2016 at 6:32 pm

LOOOOOL. YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! I am team no makeup cos im lazy. That’s just the long and short version of it. I have to be at work at 9:30 but I know if I dont make up, I get 30 mins extra sleep, train journey to work is only 8 minutes, so there is even no time and then all that money i save on foundation and makeup cos it lasts longer? Ijebu (stinginess) and laziness is a deadly combination I tell you. . LOOL. But, I want to be like you when I grow up that’s for sure.

• beat please!

June 28, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Wa sorire (yoruba)!!!

• Dee

June 29, 2016 at 8:14 am

lol..I just love who you are.

11. Suga

June 28, 2016 at 6:30 pm

My dear, what ever rock your boat is fine. For me I wear loose powder from Monday to Friday to work to allow my face breath more then I wear foundation only to occasions and to church over the weekend and it works very well for me.

12. Joie_ful

June 28, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Still beautiful, #teamnatural

13. tunmi

June 28, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Makeup is art tho

• *curious*

June 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Ain’t it tho’??

14. *curious*

June 28, 2016 at 6:45 pm

I can but i wouldn’t because i relish each opportunity i get to wear makeup.
    For me, wearing makeup everyday cuts into my sleep time at this point in my life, hence i choose sleep over makeup.
    i already go daily without makeup so i hope i could have attended this type of event without it. Although i have been trying to make a conscious effort lately to wear mascara and lip gloss.

15. Lolz

June 28, 2016 at 7:06 pm

I’d like to see Toke join this movement.

• Kbear

June 28, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Why is that so relevant to you?

16. King Bey

June 28, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Everybody Is forming I don’t wear makeup because Alicia keys ditched hers lol…Kia fake people everywhere..

17. Sherlie Holmes

June 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm

I love wearing makeup…not because I feel I need it, but simply because I just love how I feel so fabulous!

Unfortunately I only have time for it on the weekends, and if I don’t go anywhere on Fri/Sat, o di Sunday ni yen o. And trust…I BEAT MY FACE FOR MY GOD! *2 snaps and twirl*

18. memebaby

June 29, 2016 at 12:43 am

she looks beautiful…. i don’t wear makeup monday to friday. I go to school and i do not have time for that.. bedsides, i think its refreshing.. helps my skin. I beat my face on saturday and sunday.. whatever works for you.

19. June Ud

June 29, 2016 at 8:02 am

I see a skin that’s been well taken care of over the years. Of course she’s able to afford all those facials that break the bank and improve her skin flaws. Her skin faults have been well corrected and With that comes a confidence boost to want to even want to totally ditch makeup. If you are okay going no-makeup or yes-makeup, fine. But no-makeup would still rub powder and put on a gloss. So what are we really saying here.

20. Danboss Kura

June 29, 2016 at 9:00 am

Beauty ly in simplicity. So I totally love it

21. Stahh

June 29, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I wear makeup everyday to work, how else do I look good in a corporate firm where you are trying to stand out in every way possible. So I should now be looking tired (since I’m usually netflixing or working instead of sleeping) just because of naturallement abeg. Alicia looks good without makeup though, and so do I lol but not to that event -where I will squint eye and look like I’m in the market looking for bush meat, one can’t be embarrassing herself with all that flash ready to reveal blemishes you didn’t even know existed ha!

22. Kalota

November 2, 2016 at 8:47 am

I hardlyever wore make up In the last 40 years. never look never looked as good as this beautiful woman however! we women do spend a lot of time and money on worrying about our appearance.

23. kapoor Ria

November 29, 2016 at 8:12 am

A woman seems to have a lot of pressure on the way they look especially in the entertainment industry and this doesn’t seem fair at all. Earlier this year Alicia Keys took the step to stop these expecations from people by starting the #nomakeup movement, she has been to several events and occasions with a bare face to prove this point. It’s very strange as people also tend to search for celebrities without makeup online, but if they step out like that for real a huge discussion arises. It’s nice to see that people like you have started to discuss these matters as well to create awareness in our society. http://www.posherry.com/blog/celebrities-without-makeup-alicia-keys-beauty/