Events

From Wizkid’s Surprise Performance with Swiss Beatz to Jidenna’s Shoutout to BellaNaijarians…Here are 6 Highlights from the One Africa Music Fest

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Wizkid

If you have not been keeping up with the #OneAfricaMusicFest happening in New York tonight via our @bellanaijaonline Instagram page, don’t worry this post has got you covered.

The show has been absolutely lit!

With performances from Wizkid, Davido, Flavour, Don Jazzy, Timaya and many more, it has been an amazing night for lovers of African music.

The whole week has been pretty amazing and model/actress @theMakidaMoka has been on BellaNaija duty all week bringing us the updates from the arrival of the superstars in New York to the wonderful sights in NY as well as the media rounds they had. Be sure to check it all out on our Instagram page.

For the main event, which wrapped up a few minutes ago, here are 6 highlights that you should not forget in a hurry 🙂

Praiz Opening the Show

Praiz opened the show. Praiz and his dancers gave us quite the performance. Ghanaian act Stonebwoy joined him on stage too and they performed a new song.

Songstress Efya also came on stage to join the performance

Don Jazzy back on Stage

Timaya and Mavin Records CEO Don Jazzy got on stage to perform together at the One Africa Music Fest tonight. The performance was amazing and pretty symbolic because last year Don Jazzy said he’ll be retiring his music side but made an exception for this show.

Don Jazzy also made an appearance for Tiwa Savage‘s set when she performed “Eminado”. Watch below.

Davido’s Energy is on a 100%

Have you ever seen Davido perform? His energy is amazing. His hypeman Special is also pretty energetic and together they shake up the audience. It’s always interesting to watch.

The Ladies Love Flavour

Flavour got on stage tonight and one of the songs he performed was his hit song “Ada Ada”. We shared a glimpse of the audience and one thing we can say is that the ladies love Flavour.

@2niteflavour just got on stage. Ada Ada!!!!!! #BNinNewYork #BNatoneAfricaMusicFest #oneafricamusicfest

A video posted by BellaNaija (@bellanaijaonline) on

Wizkid Surprised Everyone with Swiss Beatz…

Wizkid was the closing act for the show and of course he had to end with a bang. He started off performing his song with “Femi Kuti” (and he actually sang and his voice is amazing) and then went into some of his oldie but goodie songs like “Don’t Dull”.

He also performed his hit song “One Dance” and to close the show he brought on American producer Swiss Beatz. We did not see that coming.

… and Jidenna LOVES BellaNaija

Makida caught up with Jidenna backstage and the Nigerian born rapper gave a shoutout to BellaNaijarians. Watch below.

There’s going to be an after-party later on tonight and you can keep up with all the stars via our Instagram page. There are so many Nigerian stars in New York right now from Tiwa Savage to Cobhams, Sound Sultan, Praiz, Banky W and more.

Stay glued to @bellanaijaonline 😉

1. hezekina pollutina

July 23, 2016 at 6:36 am

jidenna, fine boo where is ur performance?
    hmm, as for the others, the no band, “playback performers”, pls one day u will become musicians – for the money u dey collect, its only fair.

• aso oke

July 23, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Jidenna had the best performance of the night, Flavor, Seun Kuti, Praiz were all great. Davido and Wizkid fell hand big time. We all know you have fan, asking your fans to sing your song is a disservice to them. They paid to here you perform and sing and not to sing to you. I would never go to a wizkid or davido concert even if they pay me. Straight up wack. I will keep enjoying them on mp3 where they belong

• Dolly

July 23, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Jidenna was the best performer hands down, dude literally showed these people how its done with em’ leg works.
      Flavor and that waist hmm, I enjoyed his set.
      Tiwa Savage snatched my life when she started that booty/ twerk dance, she’s improving on her stage craft so weldone mama, soon you will own that stage like a mutha..f
      Seun Kuti, thanks for that Zombie set classic!!!

Disappointment:
      Davido has energy and good craft but just couldn’t bring it, maybe his voice, maybe not enough hit (Concert worthy) songs.

Worst:
      Like the hype was there, we was all impatiently anticipating the starboy, the one who will close this show like a baddie. And then he showed, never finished any song, keeps stopping the DJ asking fans to sing to him instead. goofing around the stage like a mediocre, feeling himself with words like “Wizkid has too many hits, wizkid is a legend”. Truth…..boy you iz wack and that performance save for a better word was horrid & lack luster.

So Bella Naija, I need part refund for Wizkid loungy set you can send my check in mail lol

• Mimi

July 24, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I mistakenly liked this comment Bellanaija. Can I undo the like?

• bisola

July 24, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I’m very sure you were not there cos if you were there you would have heard wizkid’s voice clearly and you would know how awesome he is. Every artiste brought their A game but I was there live and wiz had the best , he is an entertainer and we sure were entertained. He even did an accapella of slow down. Pls stop letting hatred rule your heart and hand. We paid for the show and it was money well spent.

• boss

July 24, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Don’t judge a concert based on clips you watched online . for you to say wuzkid has the worst performance..,,, ?that shows how hate can make you think . you have to be there to even understand how sterling his perfomance was. So cos he said he has many hits made him feeling himself, well he earned it . After the show a lot of people were talking about how awesome he is and how good the show was. You don’t have to like him but they all put out a good show and it will get better. Continue with your hate and God continue multiplying his success. And I’m very sure @aso oke and dolly are tribalistic igbos

• Damilola

July 25, 2016 at 12:35 am

* Flavour, I salute you for actually singing without playback. It was entertaining. Your band did well too. You are a true performer. One of the top finest nigerian artist based in naija right now. He sure knows how to get some beautiful women to shake their waist and their behind like there’s no tomorrow.

*Seun Kuti was good too.

*Jidenna, was dope. I liked his stage presence and there’s always difference between American trained artist, they put more effort into their craft and stage performance. His use of “N” word is uncomfortable though. But I found out, my friend FC who is from Brooklyn knows him personally because they taught in the same school. He said, that’s my nigga. When a real New Yorker pays respect that’s when you know Jidenna is not your typical pretty face dude.

*Tiwa, looked nice but was disappointed. She danced her ass off but not strong vocal performance. I know, she can sing but she needs to master the art of singing and dancing at the same time if she’s going to claim Queen whatever. They should have added Yemi Alade to the list. I know, Asa would have set the stage on fire.

*Wizkid, i don’t even know where to begin. His songs are meant to just dance to but performing live is a disaster. Gosh, it was quite embarrassing. He couldn’t even sing through any of his songs even Ojulegba, his only classic song. Then he points the microphone to the crowd to sing his own songs. So, we paid to sing your songs for you.

*Banky W, I’m not sure if he ate too much Eba before going on stage but I expected more from him.

*Davido, looked like an alakori abi omo garage as we yorubas describe a crazy person. Who wears red bandana? That’s so 90’s. He was hopping all over the stage and sweating like a pig. I was hoping the whole time, someone flogged him off the stage. He needs a whole lot of work on his dressing just his whole existence.

Oh Timaya, was ok especially when he sang dancehall. His song, “Concur” brings a different side of you and you forget everything else. He was funny too.
      Nigerian artists, please shouting in the microphone anyhow is NOT music. Improve on your stage live performance. Forget vocals but at least sing your own damn songs without playback.

• LaGurl

July 27, 2016 at 5:17 am

You took the words right out of my mouth. Total disappointment with Wizkid, Davido, and Timaya. For a lot of Americans and West Indians this was their first time being introduced to African music on a large scale. I think they fell flat with the performances. Sound was horrible. No stage presence what so ever. Flavour however was amazing. Jidenna was absolutely captivating. I wanted to buy his album right after. I just feel like if you want to capture a big audience you have to do a little more than jump around and put the mic to the crowd.

2. Oyinlola

July 23, 2016 at 6:52 am

I saw flavour perform at the Wembley stadium last year and I fell in love. That guy doesn’t lip sync, naaaa. He uses a band and sings the song and that’s why I’d pay again to watch him. Same thing with Wizkid at Basketmouth’s show at Hammersmith in London last February, he blew my mind. So aunty Tiwa and Davido went to New York to sing along to their songs abi? And we want Nigerian music to be on the same level with American music? Nooo, we still have a long way to go.

• Anon

July 23, 2016 at 9:27 am

SSE Arena formerly known as Wembley Arena* and not the Stadium.

• Miss_Flygerian

July 23, 2016 at 10:55 am

I swear. Flavour is the only Nigerian artist I’ll pay money to watch perform. I went to a traditional wedding in Anambra last year. Mehn, this guy blew my mind away. Him and his live band served us correct modern highlife.. None of the rubbish lip-syncing a lot of other Naija artists do at events and concerts. There and then, I made up my mind that if I have enough money, Flavour will perform at my wedding. He knows what live performance is all about.

• Amakanwa

July 23, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Thank you very very much!

3. Ranyinudo

July 23, 2016 at 6:52 am

Haha! So I bet u read the comments on u and that ur caramel boo the other day. Shout out to Jidenna”s sisters. Bella Naija♡♡♡♡♡

4. Madman

July 23, 2016 at 7:22 am

Flavour best live performer in whole of Nigeria.

5. californiabawlar

July 23, 2016 at 7:28 am

I had two random ‘Naija music experiences’ today

1. Just 30mins ago, I’m laying on the couch, my roommate starts playing a video on her snapchat…I overhear some chicks yelling and singing along to “…ori mi je kin lowo o…” (Davidos song?). It sounds like they are having the time of their life. I ask if those are her Nigerian friends? She’s like…nahhhh…those are my cousins, they are Americans, they are at some African concert in NY.
    I guess the concert wasn’t all hype fa? Well done my people!
    2. Earlier today I’m at a drive thru trying to get my chick-fil-a on, with NPR news station in the background, next thing, the beat to Johnny just dropped! Imagine? they went from talking about voting rights acts to abrokotobrokotoye! my body just shake!
    Nigerian music isn’t doing too bad! Now if our government can just get their life right….

• artklub

July 23, 2016 at 8:02 am

please abeg naija govt for where, do u want this thing to crash? in fact, maybe the music marketers of nigeria should be running the government since they know what they are doing. as in, “SWING LOW….” we aint got no government….

• Naijatalk

July 23, 2016 at 11:30 am

Lol Artklub, abiakwala with swing low! Let me join you fleese ‘comin forth to carry me home.’

• Whocares

July 23, 2016 at 11:41 am

Lmaooooooooooooooooooooo. I am crying. You actually spelled acrobotobotoye? Looooooool. But naija music its always surprising where I hear them nowadays.

• Sammy

July 24, 2016 at 8:56 pm

This is soooo true. I mean the “least African” of all of my friends will pull up with the hottest new Naija track before I even know. The music is definitely thriving in the states, as for our politics…

6. femfem

July 23, 2016 at 8:47 am

Best performance was flavour hands down. I just love that ada ada song. Betta soup na money kill am oooo

7. Kay

July 23, 2016 at 8:57 am

There are some android phones that should not be used to make videos.

8. Chu chu

July 23, 2016 at 9:23 am

Wizkid was the closing act for the show and he also performed his hit song “One Dance”. Not hating o, but what part of ‘One dance” did he perform? Cos listening to the song, all you hear is Drake. Except he mimed the song, then ok.

• hola

July 24, 2016 at 3:56 pm

I guessed you don’t know what YouTube is meant for.

9. Nigerians Arise!

July 23, 2016 at 9:55 am

‘Femi Fani-Kayode is speaking about things we ALL need to hear and know. If you haven’t, please go listen to his full interview posted here on this same BN.

I saw about a 100 comments on Toke Makinwa’s mammary glands in her latest picture. yet that FFK feature has about one comment less than even this post on the NY concert i.e. about 9 comments. Whilst we represent abroad, we should not be uncaring or think we are (and act) helpless to the dire situation right here in Nigeria. We are here expending energy on whether someone’s breasts are standing or not, at a highly critical time when we are the ones who ought to be making a crucial stand right now, for our own sakes and for the sake of this country, and generations unborn. God forbid that we are here discussing auto-tune or no auto-tune (we cannot even say the country’s government is on auto-pilot, the country seems to be in free-fall), lip sync or or band, n–pples and standing breasts or non-standing breasts, blind, deaf, mute and uncaring/paralysed to the situation of our country, and our case becomes like that of the proverbial man whose house is on fire and burning to the ground around him and he is busy chasing a rat.

• le coco

July 23, 2016 at 11:14 am

Mehn I watched all the videos.. WOW.. fan kayode was just giving facts… I felt bad when he spoke about all the innocent people, like the caterer, who was in efcc custody. its so sad

• OB

July 23, 2016 at 11:26 am

FFK has no moral standing here. He is a joke and one of the reasons Nigeria, in particular the aviation sector is debilitated. Shame on him! He is just the typical Nigerian politician.

• aso oke

July 23, 2016 at 5:36 pm

FFK is a thief and a dead beat father, why should we need to listen to him. He should return our money and go and make amends with his daughters

10. Notimeforstinkingthings

July 23, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Wizzy and OBO on the night,too much energy,no controversy.Who God bless…Baba God noni .

11. Baba God no ni

July 23, 2016 at 12:36 pm

The best performance of the night is wiz kid,the young man his a legend,like it or hate him,star boy on the rise.

• aso oke

July 23, 2016 at 5:39 pm

wizkid was in the bottom 3 and can been crowned the worst because the closing act is supposed to be the best act. Dude was mediocre, That was no performance, but self promo

12. Fake Oyinlola

July 23, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Use your real name next time we know coded tribalism when we read them,if you have no shame continue.with your lies,meant solely at bringing down good people.You that stay in your miserabley dejected house in your village,dreaming of uk….shioor

• Trishia

July 23, 2016 at 8:49 pm

This has nothing to do with tribe let’s leave sentiments and stop supporting mediocrity.. Wizkid and Davido were the worst performers of the night.. How dare they come unprepared just yelling their songs and expecting the crowd to sing… Jidenna that is way bigger than Wizkid and more American than Nigerian tailored his performance to the crowd and added African dances… That is an artist who is serious about his craft.. The DJ played Ojuelegba thrice before Wizkid came on and the whole crowd went agog.. and Wizkid came on a could not even perform the whole song..,
      If you want to be world class put in the work.. He has the talent to become an crossover artist but for now he will remain a local champion until he puts in the work..

• Oyinlola

July 24, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Sweetie, my name is OYINLOLAOLUWA, meaning God’s wealth is sweet. Actually, I typing from Lagos, Nigeria cos I’m home for summer (that’s if you know what that is). I’m yoruba, Nigerian and I don’t have time for tribal issues. Last I checked, Wizkid is yoruba but tats not important. I don’t know why you should attack my for speaking the truth. Stop supporting mediocrity, it’s because of people like you Nigeria is where it is, the ‘he’s my brother’ syndrome. I love excellence and if I see something I don’t like, I’d say it.
      By the way, I’d post some honey (like my name means) to you so you’d use it for the bitterness in your soul but I don’t have your address.

13. Nameoh

July 23, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Me too!!! He’s really the only artist that really performs live shows.

14. Wizkid fan

July 23, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Welldone wizzy,the worlds standard is not driven by Nigerians hate and tribalism.The best act out of Africa for now.
    He performed the one dance,to show the haters he’s got a right to the song.

15. Dee one

July 23, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I was watching all the updates as you posted on your instagram page, and was put off by the sound quality….

16. The Buttery Hotness

July 23, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Honest question: why is the One Africa Music Fest holding in the U.S and not in an African country.
    I’m honestly asking an honest question, not trolling or hating or any of that jazz so if you have any insight, share with me. Teinz

• Pra

July 23, 2016 at 7:13 pm

You’re not the only one wondering.

• No Hiding Place.

July 24, 2016 at 3:30 am

@Pra, formerly @AmaPra Twia (Ghana), you’ve changed your handle to just Pra, probably because of all the rightfully angry comments, contempt and put downs you used to attract to yourself as well as the embarrassment to Ghana and Ghanaians whom everyone knew you are not truly a representation of. Your unintelligent, confused, myopic, bitter and contradictory statements, that were so racist and even tribalist, could have been so divisive and could inspired such hate between Nigerians and other cultures but thankfully, everyone saw through you and unanimously condemned you any time you showed up. People from other countries would rebuke you and tell you off and ask you what, if you hated Nigerians so much and/or thought all the negative things you thought about us, as exemplified in your comments, you were doing on our blog. People from other countries, not only Nigerians, would point out the stupidities in your statements and thinking. You did not limit your hate and divisiveness to Nigeria. On other posts on this same blog, featuring events or film premieres in Ghana, your own country (supposedly), you would, for no rational, intelligent (as usual) reason, question and attack why the star actress was the one playing the role of someone from some tribe or the other when she is not from that tribe, and go on to say other things about other tribes and your usual nonsense. Probably, from all the flack you received over your various comments which you clearly felt were quite intelligent and superior, that illusion being shattered, you went “”dark”” (as they say in spy code), quieted down, made less appearances, and apparently, also, shortened your handle to Pra. But it hasn’t worked. A leopard doesn’t change its spots. “”By their fruits”” (and their avatars also) “”ye shall know them.”” Here you are, as you questioned the right of African-American children to wear African prints and African-inspired dresses and suits and attire to their prom and graduations (just one example of your weird and bitter babble), here you are (even though, clearly probably still nursing your wounds, you were not bold enough but as soon as you saw someone else you were so quick to jump on their wagon’s tail) questioning why a show promoting African music is holding outside of Africa.

• Damilola

July 25, 2016 at 3:44 am

Well, I believe it’s a business move Jay Z and his partners want to capitalize on. African/nigerian music is selling at the moment and everybody is trying to have their own share., it’s more of a business move than anything else

17. Iyo

July 23, 2016 at 6:54 pm

one Africa, the first of it’s kind, was awesome!

18. Bimbo

July 23, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Let him return the money he stole after that we ll listen to what he has to say. Next!

19. uncensored

July 23, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Please o, I just want to ask my own.
    Did wizkid do that triangular illuminati sign with swizz?

20. Ask google

July 23, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Useless question or not,Google answers all,and to the miserable soul calling herself aso Oke,the best place to clean the ear is uk,please go and clean yours,Buari just came back.

21. Aso Oke

July 23, 2016 at 9:26 pm

May God heal your wound,you are dieing slowly,,ask the people that where present.Wizkid and Davido brought energy into the building.

• aso oke

July 25, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Why are you stealing my name? Coz I said Wizkid and Davido were wack at the concert? lol. Yes they brought energy, they are stars, fans are always excited to see their stars but that does take away from their mediocre performance.

22. Oturugbeke

July 24, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Every single thing in Nigeria must boil down to tribe; pity pity pity. Someone expresses an negative opinion about Wizkid’s performance and is accused of been “blinded by hate”. What about you that expressed a positive opinion? Does it mean that you are “blinded by love”?? What sort of person automatically jumps to the conclusion that anybody who did not feel Wizkid’s performance was the best can’t be Yoruba? What sort of right wing bigoted reasoning is that? And then you make references to “village” as if we don’t have villages in EVERY SINGLE STATE OF NIGERIA? What sort of demented superiority complex is that??

Something is terribly wrong. Smh!

• Nini

July 25, 2016 at 12:43 am

A million likes for your comment. Honestly it’s very disturbing that some people still can’t see beyond ethnicity in this day and age.

23. Prince

July 25, 2016 at 11:41 am

i hope those that went had a great time.