Music

Majek Fashek Calls Timi Dakolo “Unoriginal” & “A Very Bad Artiste” for Allegedly Stealing ‘Send Down the Rain’ | Timi Replies Saying He Paid for It & Has Proof

BellaNaija.com

Timi Dakolo and Majek FashekVeteran reggae musician Majek Fashek (real name Majekodunmi Fasheke) told Punch Newspaper that The Voice Nigeria judge Timi Dakolo infringed on his copyright law by stealing his legendary classic Send Down the Rain song in 2013.

He called him a sub-par artiste and compared him to his peers, fellow The Voice Nigeria coach 2Baba, Wizkid and Olamide.

“I felt bad when I learnt that he worked on my song without my consent. He did not even give me credit. He is a very bad artiste and he took advantage of the circumstance that I was facing during that time. The song is not a normal song; it is a spiritual hit song. Timi Dakolo does not know how I suffered to get that song. I fasted for seven days before I got that song. I partook in three days ‘white’ fasting before the song came to me. Timi Dakolo did not go through that. I did not fight him because I do not have time. Let God judge us.”

“He broke the rules of copyright. He is a thief because in music business, he must take permission before he works on someone’s song. That is why we have COSON. I did not give anyone the right to do anything with my song. I have a management team I work with headed by Omenka Uzoma. Dakolo never bothered to look for me before stealing my song. He has infringed on the laws of copyright and he is not an original artiste. It is only people like Tuface, Wizkid, Olamide that are original.

Timi Dakolo responded to the allegations on his Instagram page, saying he rightfully paid Majek’s manager for the rights to remake the song, and he even has the receipts to prove it.

MY PEOPLE IT TRULY SADDENS ME TO SEE SUCH… I ALWAYS TRY TO DO THINGS RIGHTLY AND LAWFULLY… I PAID HIS MANAGER TO REMAKE THE SONG,I GOT MY INVOICE…I EVEN MENTIONED TO HIM DURING OUR REHEARSALS AT THE HEADIES.. SO HONESTLY I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS WRITE UP… OGA MAJEK FASHEK..I RESPECT AND LOVE YOU…YOUR VOICE GIVES LIFE TO LYRICS… YOU ARE ONE OF THE BEST MUSICIANS I KNOW..GOD BLESS YOU..

Here’s Send Down the Rain from the album Prisoner of Conscience in 1988

Timi Dakolo version

1. Nneka

July 2, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Majek Fashek was probably high on drugs at the time he gave consent to Timi and probably spent the money he made from the deal on more drugs. Smh!

• Bodunade

July 2, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Nneka is such a lovely name, your comment not so much. The man might have been scammed by his manager.

• yeyeperry

July 2, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Nice name huh?

• Uc

July 3, 2016 at 8:00 am

Nice name but e no rwach to do remix biko. This is a song that no one can do justice to….Now I understand the spiritual implicatiion whatever he did to get this song. Listening to Timi’s version I just dey shake my head. There are sum songs better left at original state.

• Damilola

July 4, 2016 at 5:29 am

To those crying over me disrespecting a legend, sorry I took it personal. I respect Mr Fashek and I love his music. However, mr Fashek is a very difficult man to deal with in general. For my dad’s 60th birthday party, my siblings wanted to surprise him by inviting fashek bcos he’s obsessed with his music. It would have been nice if he could perform but didn’t mind if he just showed his face. Communication is also difficult with his management team, I guess due to how inconsistent fashek can be. I have family in entertainment industry, my family eventually got a hold of Mr fashek. This is an artist who complains how Nigerians don’t show support and respect to one of Nigeria’s greatest legend referring to himself. He showed little interest but later cancelled the whole thing due to other commitment he had. But he later discussed with another close
      family friend how my family requested for him for free which wasn’t the case at all. I swear, my family was willing to work around him, pay him bcos that will make my dad’s day.
      He’s only interested in international invitation and request that’s if he still has it to perform well. He thinks way too highly if himself. We’ve invited King Sunny Ade and it went smoothly. Femi Kuti, he’s an international artist and Mrs onyeka onwenu.

New, younger artists remake original songs a lot. I don’t know Timi personally but I assume he knows music ethics and about copyright infringement before singing his song. And if he settled with Fashek’s manager, then it’s a done deal bcos his manager is practically his spokesperson. But knowing how fashek can be, won’t be surprised if it’s one of his incoherent outbursts.

• Smh

July 4, 2016 at 6:45 am

We really are not interested in your family story. Give honour where it is due. Simple.

• Damilola

July 4, 2016 at 3:57 pm

@smh
      But you read it right? so, clearly you are interested
      I didn’t want to bring my family’s story into it but had to bcos people thought I threw shade for no reason. One thing, you have to understand is the title “legend” doesn’t give you right to behave anyhow. One of the reasons, some legends are well respected than others is bcos of how they’ve carried themselves over the years and respectfully treated their co artists and fans. Mr fashek can choose to do whatever but his inconsistent behavior/unnecessary arrogance is questionable.
      And alcohol and drug abuse is not news anymore.
      I still respect his music.

• Omenka Chuks

July 15, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Guy, when was the last time you saw Majek in person? For years Majek Fashek eats small food, drink Alomo Bitters, Guinness Stout, smokes benson and no drugs, He even spend most of His time communicating with God… So Nneka talk only when you have something to say and not because you want to say something.

• Omenka Chuks

July 15, 2016 at 12:14 pm

To NNEKA ….When was the last time you saw Majek in person? For years Majek Fashek eats small food, drink Alomo Bitters, Guinness Stout, smokes benson and no drugs, He even spend most of His time communicating with God… So Nneka talk only when you have something to say and not because you want to say something.

2. Damilola

July 2, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Majek fashek needs to stay in rehab and be consistent with his meds. He’s mad at the whole world for his own downfall.
    I’m sure Timi did what he needed to do.
    Or maybe his manager playing double games. It’s probably difficult to have a normal conversation with Fashek, bcos he’s not in his right senses 99.9% of the time.

• Chybels

July 2, 2016 at 10:12 pm

No matter how unless ones father is, no one will call his or her father useless in public….. 99.9% comment is just the dumbest u can ever say my friend… Wonder if some people have a picture of adults in dia living room…

• Mandi

July 3, 2016 at 12:05 am

What is this one saying? What does anyone’s father have to do with this?

• Smh

July 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Basically, Chybels is saying Damilola should show some respect, the example of a father is simply to emphasize this.

• Damilola

July 3, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Preach your unsolicited advice to another person bcos I could care less.
      Fashek is an alcoholic and drug addict. He allowed his addiction to ruin his life, which is his responsibility. Does he sound coherent to you? Absolutely not. He could have easily asked his manager first if Timi stole his song without content before publicly making accusation.
      He’s constantly in the news always accusing someone of doing something.

• Ariere

July 3, 2016 at 10:50 am

Majek Fashek is a Legend however u slice and dice it. He has timeless songs in his repertoire. Songs that will outlive us all cus of their relevancy to even current events. He recorded one of the best albums ever done by not just a Nigerian but an African. In a better country, Mr. Fashek would be given one of the highest honours in the Land.

Ur words re very insensitive and rude. He has every right to call foul if he never gave permission for his song to be covered or sampled. Those re his Lyrics: his words. They re intellectual property.

Show some respect for our Legends.

• shao

July 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Thank you. Damilola’s insulting comment made me shed some tears. Like really????? do you know Majek Fashek? Your talking about raw talent who produced songs when our music industry dint have this much impact as it does now. A voice that resonates, Lyrics soooo relevant.

How dare you talk about the great one that way!
      I’m sorry but you made me mad.

• Smh

July 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm

If you don’t personally know Majek, you cannot conclude it’s “probably difficult” to carry on a conversation with him 99.9% of the time. Judge Judy Damilola. Mschew

3. forreal

July 2, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Oga Majek try to build ur career but not like this,we love Timi and his songs and u cannot take that away,there is enough space for all,respect u though for overcoming all odds

4. Chi

July 2, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Even a broken clock is right twice a day…….mr Dakolo ….payments made to one s manager does not equate to the artist,s consent…..where is the written consent of the artist or his legal rep?

• nwa nna

July 3, 2016 at 12:18 am

@Chi, but the manager is the artist’s rep. Aren’t they? So making a payment and being provided with proof of payment in my opinion suffices.. Could be a case of a dishonest Mgr taking advantage of his clients aka Mr. Send down the rain

• Daisy

July 3, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Actually it is. Your manager is presumed to be your agent with authority to act on your behalf. So if the Manager consented and collected payment it is fair for Timi to conclude that he was acting on Majek’s behalf. As much as he’s a legend, his approach was unprofessional and tacky.

5. adex

July 2, 2016 at 8:21 pm

The remix song make sense tho, i see you

6. John Doe

July 2, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Ayiri Emami did his best.

• o

July 2, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Buhahahahahaha….

7. cybernd

July 2, 2016 at 9:03 pm

How does paying manager translate to consent to reproduce one’s original song. From Timi’s reply i didnt see any form of acknowledgement from him. Copyright laws in Nigeria are constantly infringed. The Copyright Act is quite clear on the extent of copyright protection one enjoys for his work. You dont just reproduce people’s songs without proper acknowledgement including mentioning the original singer, including his name in the album or title of the song and proudly acknowledging that your are reproducing a great song. what we see is payment to manager whose consent cannot be equated to consent of majek or saying you met him at the headies to inform him of a completed infringement.

• Marlvina

July 3, 2016 at 1:14 am

My brother or sister, you have spoken right! I honestly concur. If na Oyibo land now, Timi wld have been sued. All ds one he’s talking bout money aint nothing. Where is the signed agreement paper of consent? DUH!!

• SLA

July 3, 2016 at 7:51 am

You made so much sense. Timi should know better than displaying invoice. Where’s the letter of consent by the artist or his management? Where’s is the acknowledgement of the original artist in his own copy? That said, the original still sounds whole lot better.

8. Pretty girl

July 2, 2016 at 9:21 pm

May be majek might have been high on drugs or may be his manager chop the money without telling him. He should meet his manager majek

9. Jalord

July 2, 2016 at 10:14 pm

You guys should settle your differences. But damn, Majek was so good that time. Lovely original music and inspirational vibe. Wish you well but sad ending it seems

10. Chybels

July 2, 2016 at 10:14 pm

That I packed my car outside and my best friend sold it doesn’t mean I sold my car to u…. #ewon str8

11. clems

July 2, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Majek is right…. is nt ur own nt ur own simple.. let’s 4get d man is down now. If u hear his voice live stage . OMG I saw his performance @free park.. I was in tears.. I don’t kn wat happened to him.. but am very sure he will come back to entertainment fully..

12. Honeycrown

July 2, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Nigerians and receipts/invoice!! Shay na shoe and bag you buy ni? Sounds like an “under the table” deal. Shouldn’t he have documents he signed to prove that he obtained permission/license to the song? Which one be invoice as if payment is proof that the transaction was legal.

13. Spunky

July 2, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Can someone, anyone do a movie on this man already? He is a legend.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

July 3, 2016 at 1:39 am

That would be so fantastically awesome, Spunky…

Just listening to the original track of “Send Down the Rain” gave me a serious case of nostalgia – you know how certain songs just evoke some “when we were carefree children” kain memories… Good vibes, mehnnn.

Imagine if we could have a Majek biopic, the way we’ve watched movies chronicling the lives of great American artistes (e.g. “Ray”, “Dreamgirls”, “The Blues Brothers”, “Walk the line”, “Elvis”, etc. etc.). With all the soundtracks from that era and just telling the stories of our own music greats…. just think about it.

• The real D

July 3, 2016 at 2:34 am

I hope somebody takes this idea and runs with it. Hope it will not become like fela (the musical) that a westerner took and made $$$ from. Listened to both Timi’s and the original and I am still partial to the original but like you pointed out MSA. It might have to do nostalgia. I remember shaking my head like I had “dada” (dreads) and singing rubbish (never bothered learning the words).

14. nwa nna

July 3, 2016 at 12:15 am

Someone please pass Majek a spliff or whatever his choice of narcotics is ?… Dude is on some other shyte 😀

15. joe adams

July 3, 2016 at 8:29 am

Majek is not dead, so one can not say he has a sad ending. He’s very much alive and he’s going to come back strong as ever. Who ever is trying to cheat him because of his condition should think twice because such person will be paid accordingly! God bless majek!

16. Victor Adegoke

July 3, 2016 at 9:00 am

What is not your own is not your own. That is why I still respect our artists of old like Fela,Ebenezer Obey,Sunny Ade,Onyeka Onwenu,Victor Uwaifo etc. They were original. Our present crop of artists are copycats,and their songs are not inspiring. God help us!

17. Billionaire in grace

July 3, 2016 at 11:39 am

I have seen majek articles on BN I didn’t know he was a good singer.i listen to his version and I really liked his voice

• Ene

July 3, 2016 at 1:55 pm

He wasn’t just a good singer.He was a great singer. when he moved to the U.S initially, he was really appreciated. He was even on David Letterman’s show. Some articles even tipped him as the ‘new Bob Marley’. I love ‘religion na politics’ and ‘Majek Fashek in New York’. Hope he can come close to what he once was.

18. Billionaire in grace

July 3, 2016 at 11:41 am

By the way I am going to download the song

19. Dbrytest

July 3, 2016 at 11:57 am

There are so many artists who do covers of songs by other persons, one of such in recent time is Adeles’ Hello, even our own Omawumi did a cover of the song, I think when a song is as popular and great like Hello and send down the rain, I see it as normal when others do covers of that song. #justathought

• cybernd

July 3, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Dont worry your work of art will soon get popular and even the lizards will reproduce it. So much ignorance in matters relating to intellectual property. That is why most of Artiste’s suffer in penury that is aside their wasteful spending. I am glad the likes of COSON have really stepped up in collecting royalties for these artistes from hotels, airlines and other public places where songs are simply played from a dowloaded mp3 format and no form of compensation gets to the artistes

20. Naijatalk

July 3, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Timi Dakolo, I’m not even going to go into the issue of whether you obtained permission or not. My problem with you is that you chose to discuss this on Instagram. Really? Majek granted an interview to Punch Newspaper and in the course of the interview discussed this issue. You chose to go the route of Instagram? Could you not call him or his manager? Could this not have been settled privately and then both your publicists or managers release a vague joint statement clearing the misunderstanding? What is wrong with you people and social media? You just misbehave anyhow and you think adding God and saying I respect you makes it right.

21. Pellz

July 3, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Pls Mr Dakolo, publish the receipt or invoice or any proof of a consensus ad idem between both parties to put the matter to rest biko

22. Prisca

July 3, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Original version is better. Timi Dakolo is suppose 2 produce more than just an invoice 4 a case like this. This is where nigerian lawyers are suppose to make money by contacting majek, but no they will be arguing on twitter while their families are hungry. Sorry for majek anyway

23. chiadi

July 4, 2016 at 12:04 am

Please leave Timi alone o…joint statement my bumbum..when Majek was spewing inaccurate tales why didn’t he first contact Timi’s rep? Joint statement can come later, but I don’t fault Timi forum being human and responding in the most simple way, he was even nice about his choice of words, yet you people are not satisfied…I tire for this judgmental generation of ours!

• Ndi

July 4, 2016 at 6:47 am

Yet here you are judging Majek while calling others judgmental. Na wa

• Shao

July 4, 2016 at 7:08 am

Hahahhahahahahahha you slapped her/him where it hurts LOLLL

24. Naijatalk

July 4, 2016 at 6:50 am

It’s not your fault, you are not schooled

25. Miss Ghana

July 4, 2016 at 11:15 am

This majek matter pains my heart. how does a human being fall so low? Such talent. so nobody in his life could have controlled him small?

26. Alfred Dogo

July 21, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I actually think this matter should be looked upon in a triangular form. I don’t blame Baba fashek, neither do I blame dakolo! D manager should be in d picture, but I’m glad at d manner Timi addressed d issue sha! In a very matured way…….
    But meanwhile………….ashimakpeyin kotikoin!