Career

Nigeria’s Didi Akinyelure wins BBC World News Komla Dumor Award

BellaNaija.com

Komla Dumor Award Didi

Congrats are in order this morning as business news anchor/producer Didi Akinyelure has been awarded the BBC World News Komla Dumor Award for 2016.

The award was established to honour Ghanaian BBC World News presenter Komla Dumor, who died suddenly aged 41 in 2014.

The Komla Dumor award aims to celebrate African journalism and reward exceptional talent.

Didi Akinyelure is a prime-time news anchor in Nigeria and presents business news for CNBC, which broadcasts across the continent. She has been on the CNBC Africa team since 2013. Prior to that she worked in the asset management finance sector in Nigeria and in the UK.
As part of her award prize, she will start a three-month placement at the BBC in London in September.

Didi says Komla Dumor was someone she admired.

“He told the African story with so much passion for the continent, giving a balanced view and inspiring so many.”

BBC Africa’s Josephine Hazeley who was on the award judging team, said Ms Akinyelure particularly excelled in telling business stories, “which was an area Komla was also passionate about”.

The first Komla Dumor Award was won by Ugandan news anchor Nancy Kacungira.

Photo Credit: CNBC Africa

1. Cynical

July 19, 2016 at 10:12 am

Heard this on the radio on my way to work and I just googled it out of curiosity and the first thing that came to my mind was oh my,she’s pretty. She was saying on radio how she actually read Chemical engineering and ventured into journalism by chance. And how though her paycheck is less than when she used to work in the bank,she actually wakes up and wants to go to work and I just said…..ohh Lord, let us find that which makes us happy career wise.
    Congratulations Didi,I don’t know you but I’m mighty proud of you.

2. baby journo

July 19, 2016 at 10:26 am

Komla Dumor was fully Ghanaian. Not Brit in anyway. May he Rest in peace

• Oma

July 19, 2016 at 11:20 am

Erm, did the narrative say otherwise?

• nene+

July 19, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Congrats Didi

3. www.ckjacob.com

July 19, 2016 at 10:28 am

Beautiful woman. Congrats!

4. aijaay

July 19, 2016 at 10:31 am

Awwwww, am happy for you girl. .More grace

5. 'Diddie

July 19, 2016 at 11:25 am

my name samesake…..congratulations

6. Abuja Bored Girl

July 19, 2016 at 11:28 am

Congratulations maami. Super proud of you.
    Memoirsofanabujaboredgirl.blogspot.com

7. LOLA

July 19, 2016 at 11:34 am

I can relate with waking up in the morning and wanting to go to work. Career/job satisfaction is actually very important. Congrats on the win Didi, i have faith that i will win something this big or bigger someday. Meanwhile, i really need a job in the media. Even if it’s part time or entry level. It has always been my goal.. I studied mass communication because of that but none of the broadcast stations are recruiting or even interested in taking on someone who is willing to work for free. Please help me if you know how i can get in to the industry. I can’t even secure a spot with an online tv and i have tried and tried and i’m nearly ready to give up. Please help me. Thanks and God bless.

8. Bae

July 19, 2016 at 1:05 pm

@lola. send an email application to [email protected]

9. Bunmi

July 19, 2016 at 6:45 pm

hello @lola, pls send an email to [email protected] .

10. J

July 20, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Just like Lola, I’m so in need of a media job. I’ve got experience under my belt. Can I drop you an email guys?

11. Deilah

November 4, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Hi Didi,

Just watched you on The Spot, think you are a really nice lady, with an amazing personality. Keep being you and congrats on your award.