Events

“The key, the secret, the magic is to surrender to God’s dream for you” – Oprah Winfrey’s Super Inspiring Speech at the Essence Festival 2016

BellaNaija.com

NEW ORLEANS, LA - JULY 02: Oprah Winfrey speaks onstage during the 2016 ESSENCE Festival presented By Coca-Cola at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center on July 2, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Paras Griffin/Getty Images for 2016 Essence Festival)

NEW ORLEANS, LA – JULY 02: Oprah Winfrey speaks onstage during the 2016 ESSENCE Festival presented By Coca-Cola at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center on July 2, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Paras Griffin/Getty Images for 2016 Essence Festival)

We were super inspired by Oprah Winfrey‘s speech at the Essence Festival in New Orleans on Saturday!

Watch this video clip from her speech where she shares the story of the six trees…

• “I used to dream the dream driving through the white peoples’ neighborhoods. You’d see their fancy houses. Sometimes they had gates, but all of them had trees. .I thought, ‘Oh, rich people have trees. Some people want pocketbooks and cars, but I want me some trees. … About three years ago, I was sitting in my kitchen window, making coffee in the morning and I saw the six trees. I was making the coffee. I saw the six trees. I went out on the porch to actually count the six trees, and this is what i noticed: That I could dream the six, but beyond the six trees in my kitchen window are 3,687 trees. How do I know? Because I had them counted. I dreamed the six. That was as much as my small mind and my imagination can see. I dreamed the six, but God can see beyond the six.”

Very captivating!

This was Oprah’s first-ever speech at the Essence Festival and she looked amazing in her red dress.
She started up by saying – “This is my first time here. What took me so long? What took me so long?…All I got to say is it’s beyond happiness to be here.

Oprah is one of the richest women in the world and she’s at the helm of a successful media empire. Poverty, teen pregnancy, failure are just some of the obstacles she has overcome.

One of the key messages we picked up was this – “The key, the secret, the magic is to surrender to God’s dream for you.

Here are 5 insightful quotes and lessons from Oprah’s speech curated by Nola.com

• “I am living the dream. And I want you to live the dream because I’m not living the dream because I’m special. I’m living the dream because I was obedient to the call of the dream. I want you to leave here today thinking about what is the dream for you? What is God’s dream for you? What does the creator’s dream hold for you? So often we spend our lives hoping and wishing and hoping and wishing and desiring things. This is what I know for sure: You don’t get what you hope for. You don’t get get what you wish for. You get what you believe.”

• “For everything there is an equal and opposite reaction. … It means no matter what you do, what you say, the energy of who you are is going out into the world, into your home, into your relationships and that energy is always coming back to you. You are responsible for the energy that you are putting out into the world because that very energy — bam! —is coming right back to you every single time, whether you believe it or not, because it is law. It is law.”

• “When you’ve done everything you can do, you don’t just have to stand. When you’ve prayed and … wanted and dreamed and held on and believed and got turned down and turned back and turned around, it taught me when you’ve done everything you can do, Surrender all. Surrender all.”

• “You have no power over any territory other than your own, but you are the master of that. You get to be the captain of your own soul and if you just manage that, if you just took care of your territory, all the glorious, glorious, glorious wondrous opportunities and possibilities are waiting for you. The question is, what are you resisting?”

• “Your life is big. Your life is huge, and we spend so much time wanting to be in somebody else’s life, and you don’t get honored, you don’t get revered, you don’t get celebrated wanting what somebody else has.”

1. Bowl

July 3, 2016 at 8:31 pm

whoa! I never knew this side to her story !

• Jezebel

July 4, 2016 at 9:48 am

Oprah it appears you have lost your white audience to Ellen and you are now scrambling to get yourself a large black audience. The only way to do that is to call God upandan and bam black pipo are hooked. Where were these views when you were promoting ‘the secret’ and proclaiming that the universe would do this, that and the other? Biko, I’m disenchanted by all these old people that were my role models.

• purplieciousbabe

July 4, 2016 at 11:22 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong in her calling God.
      Mind you I agree she was once God, then Universe and then God,.
      Regardless, leave her to be.

• jade

July 5, 2016 at 8:16 pm

So, people can’t grow and have better understanding. Some of these people are more christians than the so called christians. God sees their heart and you have no idea what they do, say in the quiet times.
      You be mumu sha. Oprah owns a freaking network, Ellen works for a network. She stopped working on a daytime channel. Two different levels. Oprah still has white audience, she has more black audience. It’s not easy being successful to the top without whites in America. Now that she’s there, she’s helping her own people.
      Go Oprah, I love this woman.

2. Naked

July 3, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Mama has spoken! Relegate God to the background in your life’s affairs and your dreams will become relegated.

3. Las

July 3, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Say what you will about Oprah, but this is clearly a woman who is walking in her purpose. She is light years away from everyone else. She has definitely tapped into the essence of living/life. She fully understands why she is alive.

4. Tosin

July 4, 2016 at 3:31 am

she looks amazing.
    all trees, all things, belong to God. that said, we need to do something about nature/beauty…trees…we’ve killed them…

5. Kkay

July 4, 2016 at 4:43 am

I thought this woman was “god” to her faithfuls sometime ago.
    She does not believe that Christ alone offers the way to salvation.

Yea, it’s all for God or nothing.
    Jesus said without him we can do nothing.
    You can gain the whole world and lose your soul.
    A man’s life consists not of the abundance of the things which he possesses.

You give Christ the first place in your life, He will take you places.

6. Fifi

July 4, 2016 at 7:58 am

Powerful message

7. Tlop

July 4, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Hi, I am a Tailor /an upcoming fashion designer, who loves everything about creativity /craft, With so much passion for it, but i’m at the point in my career where I feel I need some mentoring /good experience to more effectively develop my management skills so that I can possibly move into a directorship role. So my request is this: I need a reputable cloths making house that could employ me, or a good link, God bless. Whatsapp contact: 08032730106/ Lagos,Nigeria. #ILoveBellaNaija #MakeNaijaAbetterPlace #SomeonePlsBringHopeToLive#MakeDreamaReality

8. joy dieli

July 4, 2016 at 12:15 pm

She knows what she is talking about. She is successful in all sense , she definitely somebody to listen to.

9. cara

July 4, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I thought wizkid was supposed to be at this essence fest, or an I missing something?

10. Pingback: Stylist Tim Snell Dishes His Top Tips for Curvy Girls - About That Curvy Life