News

Aww… Couple of 62 Years in Tears as they Have Been Living Apart for 8 Months due to Health Care Delays

Wolf and Anita Gottschalk

Wolf and Anita Gottschalk

The grand-daughter of a couple who have lived together for 62 years has shared on her Facebook Page how they have been separated for 8 months due to delays in the U.S’ health care system.

Wolf Gottschalk, 83, is at a transitional facility for people waiting to get nursing homes, while his wife, Anita, 81 lives at another nursing home.

In the photo above, they were seen crying as they bade themselves farewell. They only see each other every other day, thanks to their grand-daughter, Ashley Kaila Bartyik who drives Anita multiple times a week to where Wolf is.

She posted that though dementia is taking its toll on her grandfather, his memory of his wife has not faded. She expressed fear that as they live apart much longer, his memory of her won’t stay.

She wrote:

Friends please read! This is The saddest photo I have ever taken. This is my Omi and my Opi. As you can see they are both wiping away tears! But why? It was taken in Surrey at Yale road, a transitional facility for people waiting to get into nursing homes, that’s where my Opi is! After 62 years together in marriage they have been separated for 8 months due to backlogs and delays by our health care system, who have the power to have my grandpa moved to the same care facility as my grandmother.

They cry every time they see each other, and it is heartbreaking. To make it worse, TODAY he was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Besides that limiting his time and making this more urgent, His Dementia is growing ever stronger each day, but his memory of my grandmother has not faded an inch…yet. We are afraid however that if they are living apart much longer, his memory of her won’t stay. This has been a strain on our family, making the 30 minute commute to bring her to see him, every second day, so he does not forget her.

Now with the news of cancer, our fight to have them in the same facility is even more urgent. He isn’t even getting proper care where he is, including no physical therapy which we were promised (the only reason he is in a wheelchair is because it has been 8 months of no walking!!) They deserve this! Financially, physically and emotionally exhausted, me and my family are begging for your help my friends.

We have contacted our local MLA, called Fraser Health and done in person inquiries, but none of our questions and concerns have been answered. We want justice for my grandparents who after 62 years together deserve to spend their last moments in the same building. Please share this and tag anyone that needs to see this post to get the help we need! @fraserhealthauthority

Since she posted the story on Tuesday, and it has gotten over 5,000 shares.

Apparently, the health authorities in interviews are saying that they are working closely with the family to get Wolf moved, but she said her family has not been contacted since the past 8 months when Wolf got into the facility.

Photo Credit: Facebook/Ashley Kaila B

1. chaka khan

August 26, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Lord Jesus this is the kind of true love I desire!!!!!!!

• LemmeRant

August 26, 2016 at 5:15 pm

The question is what kind of love are you willing to give?

You will want to love based on superficial things, but craved to be truly loved. You’re just deceiving yourself.

• Nkechi

August 27, 2016 at 12:25 am

Please bring them together.

2. Felinda

August 26, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Knowing how americans are someone will read this and take it upon themselves and get this matter solved IMMEDIATELY and have them in the same facility . In all honesty American Governement piss me off sometimes but i must say the people are the most caring people i know. When someone post such a touching story of such, you best believe 8/10 people will do something about it to get it fixed. They have a caring heart .

Speaking of touching stories bella since i am always giving you ideas to gain traffic, let me give you another, Have you not seen the video of the african american couple who have been married for 17 yrs with no child and numerous miscarriages and finally the lady is pregnant for 5 weeks and announcing it to her huband who has not clue she was pregnant all this while, the husbands reaction is so touching and will make you cry. I think its such an uplifting story to many couples out there trying and lost hope – try and post it here. Post it this week while it is still trending. search #DanaArkell and also check out gofundme.com/babybuns .
    Its inspiring story for ANYONE waiting on GOD for Anything at all.

Maybe you guys should hire me to seek more interesting stories for your blog. 🙂 🙂 🙂 – am only joking.

Stay Blessed Bella

3. Felinda

August 26, 2016 at 4:54 pm

sorry – let me correct it “she was 19 weeks pregnant not 5 weeks.”

4. Prince

August 26, 2016 at 5:16 pm

And my colleague is telling me that the moment you get married the love between you both start going down. I’m sure that’s for him as an adulterer.
    This is so sweet and romantic

5. Somto

August 26, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Oyibo people sef, why can’t the family make a room in their house so they can be together whilst waiting for nursing home availability. I claim this kind of love and soulmate IJN

• slice

August 26, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Tough choices. Who will be with them duringyour working hours. It seems they need 24 hour care and monitoring. T. Tough choices

6. Atriedes

August 26, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Even after 62 years they still can’t bear to be away from each other while there are some that can’t stand themselves after 6 months of marriage.
    Hmmmm