News

Do you agree? Lagos Ranks 138th out of 140 Countries Studied in Global Liveability Survey | Watch

A report released on Thursday by The Economist Intelligence Unit ranked Lagos 138th out of 140 countries it studied in the Global Liveability survey, just above war-ravaged Tripoli and Damascus.

The report stated that, “Of the poorer-scoring cities, 13 continue to occupy the very bottom tier of liveability, where ratings fall below 50 percent and most aspects of living are severely restricted. Continued threats from groups like Boko Haram acts as a constraint to improving stability in Lagos”.

The liveability survey assesses which locations around the world provide the best or the worst living conditions across five broad categories, including stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.

Lagos scored highest in culture and environment, followed by infrastructure. It scored lowest in stability.

The top five best countries to live in, according to the report, remain unchanged from last year and they include Melbourne, Australian; Vienna, Austria; Vancouver, Canada; Toronto, Canada; and Calgary, Canada.

Watch:

1. Angel

August 20, 2016 at 11:10 am

I think I agree because Lagos is already picked for modern city

2. Busarni

August 20, 2016 at 11:13 am

Before nko; Lagos is over rated. Abi you think because lagos is full of flyovers and high rise buildings that qualifies it as a livable city. There are other key indicators that makes a city livable.

3. ElessarisElendil

August 20, 2016 at 11:43 am

Lagos is livable for me (as long as I don’t sweat its air quality), I’m however aware the vast majority live in Makoko-esque conditions. But 138 seems too low, off the top of my head Tripoli, Damascus, Aleppo, Kabul, Baghdad. Atleast 130.

4. Engoz

August 20, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I absolutely agree. I lived in Surulere, Lagos for over 15 years. I was shocked senseless when I returned and saw what it had turned into. From the airport, I was already screaming why are there so many men on the streets? It wasn’t as bad as this. It really was not. Even the little trees were dusty green. I went to my old house. The neighborhood had deteriorated beyond repair. There is no more space in Lagos. Every single space was a potential site for a building. Even my dad was alarmed. He concluded everyone needs to go back to their village. If you don’t want to live like an animal, leave Lagos. Lagos is a ticking time bomb, if the government does not begin to implement depopulation schemes. Lagos is a good example of what bad governance looks like. It is the perfect archetype for the deterioration of a nation.

”Continued threats from groups like Boko Haram acts as a constraint to improving stability in Lagos”.

This however is ridiculous. The threat to stability I see is overpopulation which in turn will spike the rate of crime. I know the argument is that our dumb-ass government concentrated the wealth in Lagos. But People need to be introspective and leave Lagos for their own mental health. People living there are not living like humans. I know Lagosians like to pride themselves as the happening people, let me tell you now, there is more dignity in a Villager than anyone who lives in Lagos.

• UGO

August 20, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Can I like your comments unquantifiable times? I wish I could. You hit the nail right on the head.

5. amaria

August 20, 2016 at 1:09 pm

These are the issues I have with oyibo ppl. They know everything and yet nothing! I have no problem with them ranking Lagos 140 sef if they wish too….but let them leave boko haram out of it

6. Cl;e,mentine

August 20, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Only one look at Lagos at my last visit I knew I was not buying a house there.I am glad I settled for Abeokuta..Lagos is overated.This is coming from a proud Lagosian.

• Just my 1 Cents

August 21, 2016 at 4:09 am

Smart choice. They are so many peaceful and cheaper places to live than Lagos.

Lagos is overrated, and I feel like people just keep moving there because they feel like that’s where the jobs are. LIES

7. nwa nna

August 20, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Lagos is super overpopulated! All the residential streets feel so narrow due to over building.. Air quality is God awful, the heat is unbearable.. Everything is moving at such breakneck speed, after my last visit to Lagos I decided that on my next visit I won’t be staying in Lagos because I value my sanity

8. Dabota

August 21, 2016 at 11:02 am

Interesting opinion. But…Lagos is not a country! Second. What has the threat of Boko Haram got to do with anything? Such an ignorant article.