Career

Eucharia Anunobi’s Wealthy Father Refused to Pay for Her University Because She’s Female – The Evangelist Opens Up on Her Rise to Fame, Acting & More

BellaNaija.com

Eucharia Anunobi

Eucharia Anunobi

Veteran actress and evangelist, Eucharia Anunobi has gone from modelling to pay her way through university, to praying at the president’s chapel and laying hands on governors. In her most recent interview with The Sun, Eucharia opens up about putting herself through university after her father stopped paying for her education after secondary school saying:

I paid my way through university. I came from a privileged home. My family house was at 5, Musa Yar`adua Street, Victoria Island (in Lagos). I went to St. George’s Primary School, the one at Falomo in Lagos and Army Chidren’s School, Guardian Barrack. I had ‘A’ in most of my subjects in secondary school. The next thing, I supposed to enter university, but my father called the whole family because I am the first-born and says, ‘I don’t have interest in training a girl further after secondary school’. He said he would train only the boys. So, after leaving secondary school with brilliant results, my father said ‘no!’ That was how, on my own at age 16, I started to fight for my destiny.

It was the denouncement of my father that, [after saying] he’s not going to send me or any other girl to university or higher institution that made me seek God early. After that, I started modelling. But I was determined in myself that, if my father said a girl can be nothing, then I would prove him wrong. I used to hear him telling some of his friends that Eucharia is too brilliant to be a girl; she should have been a boy. And I would say to myself ‘na me come make myself boy?’ Why would he be saying that I should have been a boy? On my own, I said a girl must be something and I started digging the Bible. By the grace of God, I fought for myself. I paid for my JAMB and then passed. I went to University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and in those four years, I paid my school fees by myself.

But through it all she remains grateful;

There is a reason my father turned his back on me, because if maybe he left me in the comfort zone or comfort home, I wouldn’t be able to discover who I am.

On how she combines acting and being an evangelist:

Do you know when I started ministering? By the grace of God, I gave my life to God on March 17, 1997, at Holy Ghost Power Ministry Church, Adeniyi Jones, Lagos. March 17, 2017 will make it 20 years I have been with God. I am still acting because I have not left my talent. This is my own definition of being born again. Born again means you have realised and discovered that you were living a life of sin, but now, you want to live a life that would please God.

On accepting scripts as an evangelist:

If they give me the one of Ashawo, I will do. But then, I’m not going to smoke, because I don’t smoke in real life, and I’m not going to drink. I can simulate, for instance, like in drinking, but then, I might not wear clothes that will reveal parts of my body. There is one I did with Mama Patience [Ozokwor], we went to rob a bank. We were carrying AK-47; the gun is heavy o! The title of the movie is ‘Widow’s Gang’.

Source: The Sun

1. Somto

August 8, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Hmmmmm! so is that why you introduced your Mother as your house girl when she came to visit you at UNN because you were ashamed that she was carrying a food basket on her head to visit you. Hmmmmm!

2. lady

August 8, 2016 at 4:14 pm

all that makeup eh….

3. livelifeonce

August 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm

May God continue to be with her. I don’t know if its the lightening but her face makeup looks caked

4. GraceOfGOD

August 8, 2016 at 4:17 pm

@All,

Good afternoon to you ALL. I just wish to SHARE my thoughts. When I first saw the PICTURE I was JUDGMENTAL. I said to myself=> how can she call herself a BORN AGAIN with this type of make-up and also how about the “UNGODLY” life she LIVES or LIVED. Then I read the part where she said her FATHER refused to TRAIN her to HIGHER institution despite her INTELLIGENCE just because she was a GIRL, I felt like a SLAP on my CONSCIENCE for JUDGING her without KNOWING her STORY narrated by HERSELF, what she went through. This is a PERFECT example of NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. Being a CHRISTIAN is a WORKING process that will NEVER end and during this PROCESS some “BAD HABITS” will DISAPPEAR with TIME by the GRACE of GOD. We should really REFRAIN from JUDGING others because NONE of US is PERFECT except GOD and HE ALONE has the RIGHT to JUDGE US. PLEASE GOD empower me in such a way that I will STOP judging others, after all I am NOT perfect, PLEASE GOD CHANGE me. Have a GREAT day and stay BLESSED 🙂 🙂 🙂

5. Tola

August 8, 2016 at 4:28 pm

She’s gorgeous

6. susa

August 8, 2016 at 6:50 pm

She was one of those actresses that had the best diction in Nollywood. My list of actresses that I love to hear speak: joke silva, bimbo akintola, funlola aofiyebi, Jennifer eliogu, then maybe Nse ikpe and Rita Dominic.

• Mo

August 8, 2016 at 8:17 pm

I totally agree… actresses with wonderful diction.

7. Las

August 8, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Wealthy in terms of cowries or yams?

8. nene

August 8, 2016 at 7:29 pm

hmmn.

9. Anita

August 8, 2016 at 7:42 pm

In my case, my father was dead and it was my younger brother that told my mum that it would be a waste of resources to train a girl in the university, that was after having seven As and two Cs in my WAEC and getting an award of the best student in academics. I started the work of a sales girl, saved up the money I was paid, wrote my UTME, entered the university and was teaching home lessons here and there to make ends meet. I never entered bus to school. In fact, I took molue all the time.. I continued and was looking so lean like an AIDS patient when I graduated.

Now, I have a job, family, professional certificates, second degree and still schooling. Education is my weapon. My brother is still jealous and insults my husband and I at any given chance. I have forgiven him though and handed his case to God to handle. I also heard that my paternal grandma fought my maternal grandma when I was born the second child and second female child during “omugwo”. All these made me to always want to excel in all I do and show that the girl child is also important. Let me stop here as I am writing an autobiography. God, I am grateful.

• Idomagirl

August 8, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Anita uour story is inspirational. ? #respect

• Darius

August 8, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Your brother is an animal. A wild animal.

• aj

August 9, 2016 at 1:05 am

lmaooo what kind of a hater brother do you have? I do not meant to laugh but it was just unbelievable to me…not that I don’t sympathize with you.

• Cynthia

August 9, 2016 at 4:42 pm

And your mum listened and did according to his dictates. That’s all I am stuck on. When we say women/mothers need to spearhead these movements/change the narration…..we will be called ‘new-age feminists’. I am touched by your story and so glad you made it. God bless

10. Idomagirl

August 8, 2016 at 8:06 pm

I’ve always loved her and I love her even more after reading this. ?☺

11. lacey

August 9, 2016 at 3:56 am

Thank God for you Uk! I saw her life,years ago in Surulere,very tall pretty woman! I thank God for my own family background! They spend more on women,because they did not want us to do anything for money!Anita be patient and continue to pray for your brother!You are highly favored! To those women out there that put themselves through school due to situations like this!Kudos to you all o! Its not easy but God is ever faithful!