Career

Move Back To Nigeria: Back For Good! Actress, Model, & TV Presenter Simi Drey Shares Her Story

simi 2 Move Back to Nigeria is a series on BellaNaija which aims to encourage young and not-so-young professionals in the diaspora who are trying to make the decision of whether to move back to Nigeria. In collaboration with the brilliant team at MoveBackToNigeria.com, we hope to bring you regular interviews with individuals who have successfully made the leap, so you can learn from their experiences and make a success of your move back.

***
Hi, my name is Simi Drey and I am a TV presenter, actress and model. I grew up in London but decided I wanted to move back to Nigeria after I completed an internship at HiTV in Lagos during the first summer vacation after starting University. I knew getting a job in the media industry in the UK would be extremely hard but Nigeria proved to be the land of opportunity as I received so many job offers (which I turned down since I hadn’t yet finished university and I have Nigerian parents.)

Tell us about some of your fondest memories from childhood, growing up in London.
Although my mother, siblings and I all lived in England, my father lived and worked fully in Nigeria (long distance relationships can work, ha-ha). I used to look forward to his visits and all the Nigerian sweets he would bring back for us. He never told us children exactly when he was coming but instead loved to turn up at the doorstep and surprise us.

I quickly want to take time to humbly confess to my parents and sibling that those sweets my dad brought did not magically disappear…I stole and ate them all. No apologies.

LOL! Interesting childhood activities. So, tell us about your educational background.
I graduated with a First Class degree from The University of Wales. I believe in getting involved in extracurricular activities, so I founded and became the Editor of the student magazine. I was also the Women’s Officer and also one of the officers representing the Student’s Guild. Don’t get me wrong, every Friday night, I was out ‘waving my hands in the air like I just didn’t care’, but I do believe in striking a balance and enjoying all aspects of student life; both academic and social.

And after that, what came next?
I graduated in October, and in November I packed my bags and said goodbye to London. I decided to give myself one year to find a job in Nigeria but signed up for NYSC in case all failed and so the entire year wouldn’t be wasted.

How did you find things when you arrived back?
I don’t think I experienced any major culture shock… Lagos is a pretty multicultural city with lots of expatriates and Nigerian returnees. Nevertheless, it took me a while to adjust to driving here (now I’ve toughened up and you’ll probably see me yelling my own fair share of insults in traffic ha-ha). The hardest thing I had to get through though was the fuel scarcity. My goodness during those periods I felt like hopping on the next flight out but when it finally settled I was like ‘false alarm! I’m not going anywhere’.

What was your NYSC experience like?
To be completely honest, I think NYSC has lost its true meaning and needs reformation. I remember being assigned to a public school in Ogun state to teach Economics (a subject I didn’t feel experienced enough to teach). Not too long after, I got offered a full time presenting job at CoolTV and NYSC became a burden. I wanted to work properly, earn a proper salary but there were so many restrictions. It was a relief finishing it and getting my certificate but one thing I am grateful for is the people I met and became friends with. There is something about joint suffering that brings people together haha.

*Life Hack* I borrowed an empty inhaler and claimed to be asthmatic to get out of marching in the sun and other strenuous activities. In my defence, I hadn’t fully acclimatized to the weather here… that’s a good enough excuse… right?

TV presenter, Actress and Model; it must be tasking to deliver on all three roles, how do you do it and do you have to compete often for gigs?
I call myself a TV presenter foremost. Nevertheless I feel all jobs possess similar elements. You have to become something/someone and convince the world you are that person in all platforms. I still go for acting and presenting auditions and modelling castings (it never really stops to be honest) but the more I do and the more I am seen on TV, the easier it gets to secure a job.

So, are you back in Nigeria for good?
Yes I am here for good and loving every minute of it. I love being able to go to the beach every weekend and not having to deal with British weather most especially.

What do you do for fun/relaxation in Lagos?
Like I said earlier, the beaches are lovely to visit- Ilashe and Tarkwa Bay are a few of my favorites. I also enjoy going for lunch at Ocean Basket, a sea food restaurant that has the friendliest staff ever. Due to my job as a TV presenter I get to host a lot of red carpet events so although the red carpet bit is work, the events themselves are truly enjoyable and Lagos seems to have a new one each weekend. There are comedy shows, film premieres, festivals, stage plays, art exhibitions and product launches to name a few. The list is endless.

Do you have any advice for prospective returnees?
My mother told me something and she was right. When moving back to Nigeria, the first year will be your toughest. However, if you make it through those twelve months, you’ll be fine. Nigeria is the land of opportunity. Yours is waiting for you.

MBTN helps Nigerian and African professionals from across the world connect with career and Investment opportunities. We also organise networking events, conferences and workshops that give you the required tools to get ahead in your career in Africa or elsewhere.Find out more at www.mbtnglobal.com. Follow us on Twitter @mbtnglobal and Instagram @mbtnglobal

1. ELLA

August 26, 2016 at 10:36 am

Naija no good ooo, but una dey come back to look for FAME.. issoriat

• iyke

August 26, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Don’t blame her Ella – It is very hard ….extremely very hard to find fame in the entertainment industry in the UK as a woman /man of color! Either you move to America and try your luck or you come back to naija where your accent could help you get a job as an OAP or presenter at Ebony life.The pay may not be anything to write home about, but at least,with your complexion,figure and accent,you are likely to have naija men paying for your lifestyle and naija girls at home hating on you.
      Welcome home sister – The more the merrier!
      BTW,Linda Ikeji Media is RECRUITING!

• hezekina pollutina

August 26, 2016 at 1:25 pm

are you being sarcastic? lol….everyone will use their privileges to enter the door, staying afloat and on the up, is down to hard work…

• mimi

August 26, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Ella say that again oohh. Now all of them want to come down here for fame. Well i hope it works out for her but i truly hope she will not be rattling with a british or american accent in our movies or TV – sorry but it wont.

Thats a fact. I cant stand watching my african movies with any other accent but african accent. . This is why as good an actress as Osas is i cant stand watching her in African movies. Id much rather watch her in american movies.

As you can see Bev Naya tries hard – when she first arrived she thought rattling her british accent will put her forward in the movies 🙂 – now if you listen to her carefully in movies she is changing it to fit in.

I want to hear accents like that of Genevieve, Rita, Omotola, Kate, Blossom, Majid, John Dumelo, Ivie, Omoni, Mercy, Nse etc in my movies and nothing else. African English accent in African movies,.

No real american or british accent and definitely not fake accents (biggest pet peeve) neither

• Tobi

August 26, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Congratulations girl. Moving back to Niger is not want you do because someone else did. It should be based on direction from God, though people are moving back, some are also relocating. I know two women with husbands working in Niger, the third came with her husband and children. Another thing, single girls enjoy Niger. My friend who had lived in England for a while told me how shocked she was when a man told her she looked good at the bank. She said ‘ no one told me that in the UK that way’ She just felt that was really bold. Now she is married with a child. My point is this: look before you leap and don’t copy someone else but be happy for them if it works out for them.

2. Gbemi

August 26, 2016 at 11:57 am

Please is it possible for returnees to indicate if they have a foreign passport, green card or indefinite leave to remain in the countries they are returning from. I feel (I may be wrong) that returnees with such insurance will see the challenges and opportunities in Nigeria differently compared to someone with no foreign nationality or indefinite leave to remain in another country.

• Sonia Paloma

August 26, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Most of them certainly do.

• Nubia

August 26, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Hi Gbemi, could you clarify why you think people with legitimate means to live in other countries may view the challenges differently?

3. Sonia Paloma

August 26, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Can we also get insight info on those who moved back and things are not exactly working out as planned or they have decided to return. (let’s be a little bit more realistic here abeg)
    it will also be very helpful if questions can be asked on what steps they took to settle in fully. E.g. Did they have families back home they lived with or rented a place of their own , what was the cost, what are the most essential things one needed when when they moved back, et al . It feels like most of these questions just touched on the tip of struggle and more on the success.
    We want to know the struggle biko

• person

August 26, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I agree. My cousin moved back and hes been in Naija for 3years or so. From earning circa £350 per day as an IT contractor to earning N150k per month at one govt organisation after promises of bank, oil and gas job frizzled into thin air. The guy complains every single day and would have returned if he had a way to. The painful thing is, he was just two years away from collecting his indefinite leave to remain o. and i told him. I kuku warned him then. Wait. Collect ur inde. then go and come back if things no work. but no. the promises were too sweet. too urgent. “come now or forgo the lucrative job”. na so e go. As he land naija, hin eye come clear. from one excuse to another… job no surface. thank God he has wealthy parents and lives rent free and drives popsy’s car.

Lets hear both sides abeg.

• Oho

August 26, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Boy can I relate, finished post grad, stupid people telling me oh they will introduce me to so and so when I go to naij you will get a job blah blah now I’ve come back it’s all turned to dust! Only been a few months but it’s so discouraging! Luckily i get my pali contemplating going back!

• Nubia

August 26, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Hi Sonia, i am happy to share my experience. I moved back in 2013 and apart from the fuel scarcity period and the occasional driving madness, i have not regretted my decision. Family support is certainly very important, especially for free shelter whilst one is trying to settle and find one’s feet.You will also need a car and perhaps a driver for the initial months at least before one gets a grip on lagos driving. It also works to get a job before returning however just as in the UK, a strong professional track record always helps to land good job opportunities, In my view professional returnees attract good remuneration not necessarily the same as expatriates but fair all the same. So my advice is get all the qualification and professional experience, with God on your side, lagos is your horizon. In all, one must be ready to adapt and not expect standards as in the western world,

4. Kikelola

August 26, 2016 at 1:54 pm

As someone who would like to venture into or towards moving to Nigeria, I found this article rather shallow and lacking any sort of practical advice. For example, what can repatriates expect in terms of an annual salary, cultural observations, seeking housing, transportation, and the legalities surrounding immigration?

I love the concept of the series, but it would be nice to hear from more people with legitimate and stable careers, who don’t already have a relative living in the country, or who haven’t lived there on and off themselves.

5. Felinda

August 26, 2016 at 2:58 pm

After resigning my lucrative job here in USA , packing and shipping all my stuff including car to relocate only to be able to stay for 6 months and couldnt take it anymore and relocated back to US, My friend and i have been joking that i want to write a book titled “THINGS THEY DONT TELL YOU BEFORE YOU MOVE BACK HOME” –

All jokes aside i really need to write this book.

Folks dont tell you the real truth, especially those you even consider friends who use to live in usa/uk and now relocated back and stay there. They come to US for one or two week shopping sprees (of which you will be the driver for everywhere they go Macys, TJ Maxx, Outlet etc etc) and tell you moving back was the best decision they made blah blah blah and pressure you to come join them only for you to get there – and realise all na Borrow pose and lies and keeping up withthe jones.

All those who harass you to relocate – you get there, they pick up your calls for first month or so come collect their gifts after than , fiam – you will not hear from them again. You cal them and they dont even pick up. Fake people. Coupled with a lot of jealousy too.

Everybody is posing – both the returnees who now live there permanently and those who already live there. Fake lifes. I over head one stupid girl who calls herself a mother throwing a fit cos her brother in US promised to send her $2000 for her sons birthday and he only send $800. Birthday Party keh. I also attended a 13 yr old birthday party cos i am friends with boys parents, guess what???? over 35 kids were in attendance and everybody received a kindle as gift – i was so shocked and the friend whom i was with who lives told me you have not seen anything yet, all this na borrow pose. Parents Borrow money to have such lavish parties for some kids. This girl told me , as you see so, Some parent here will try to outdo, this parent in the next party by gifting Ipad. sef.

I have a friend who works for an international school, She told me, you have not seen anything yet, This society na borrow pose society, so if you cant deal with it you might have to just leave . She said Most of the parents who drive range rovers, are the very ones who will come and ask for extension to pay $3000 per term school fees. You have drivers who will sit outside the school from time child gets there till time child gets out.

I mean the whole fake lifestyle i just couldnt take it. The work ethic i couldn’t stand (i went to open my own gift shop – i was not paying rent cos my famiily owns the shop) . I got to work at 8am or 9am the sales girl will get there 10am, Day it rains she will call “Aunty it is raining heavily and i cant get car to come today: Or “Aunty i have to go to funeral in village”. Lets not talk about power outtages. I drove myself around and the crazy driving by others lets leave that talk for another day

What would have made me stay is probably if i had my family there – unfortunately every single person is abroad – my mom, my sister my brothers etc. So i live in a big ole house by myself. Also i think if i had gone with a job in hand first, rather than delving to run my own business, it would have been better. The importance of getting a job before you go is not necessarily the pay check you will be getting especially in my case where accommodation and car was sorted, but getting to work, makes you meet and mingle with new people especially if you have been away for more than 10 yrs. like me.

I mean i use to go to church and after church i see all these cliqs or gisting laughing having a great time but me, see me, i dont know anybody so i just went to sit in my car and go home.-i fell out of place Most of my friends had all returned to their destinations in US or UK or Canada.

What i noticed is going home for those 2 weeks vacation as i did in past ten years every christmas where all your friends from abroad came to meet same time – is completely different from living there for six months or more. After one month reality hits you.

i will do it again in 2018 but well planned this time. I would rather work for a company and run my gift shop on the side monitoring my sales staff daily. I am even considering lecturing in college 3 times a week or consulting maybe 25-30 hrs a week so i have that extra time to run my business. The one thing i gained which i think is valuable is running of my business – the good and bad experiences. I got duped over and over and over and over again so much that I gained experience NEVER to be duped again. I have too many stories to tell of my “DupiCation”
    By my 3rd month I had gained extremely good experience of never being duped again. How to deal with builders and construction workers (as i was renovating my store). How do sell and gain customers (cos honey if you think selling and gaining customers back home is same as US or UK you are sadly mistaken, African customers are loyal to their brand and hard to lure them off a competitor but once you get them its a done deal). I am still in contact with my clients and send them goods whenever i go down. I dont want to loose that relationship.

• Kay

August 26, 2016 at 4:10 pm

@ Felinda – great write up indeed . When can I buy the book . I feel the need to connect with you on LinkedIn .

• Lala

August 26, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Felibaby, God bless you my dear. Na so I run comot from UK, say business na for naija. My papa beg me to go back, I no hear. No be say I be repatriate o, na masters carry me go UK, but at least I had a steady job and all..

My experience is not far from yours my dear. More than 50% of the clothes you see on people na gbese, some will never pay again. Some are still owing me money for some tech gadgets I sold. The bankers are worse. Na so someone dey pose say him be contractor for Abuja, dey travel upandan to UK and US, but him children school fees na gbese. Meanwhile he dey wonder why me and my hubby never buy big house- as if we no save deposit.

My dear, nija life na borrow pose. Na marriage Baba God take relocate me from that den of lions. Please if you have a job in any decent western nation, sit your butt there and forget naija until you retire or get your stay, then look for what to import from China to sell wholesale and cheap and get ready to draw debts long-term, be prepared for the 2% who will never pay. Factor in how much money your staff and relations will steal. God bless everybody’s hustle!!!!!

• Felinda

August 26, 2016 at 6:38 pm

But the debate is if you wait till retirement to decide to relocate it’ll never happen. Best time to relocate is in late 20s, 30s, 40s latest 50’s. Have you heard of a 60 or 70 yr old relocating.

It’s like catch, 22 and complicated decision. My 69 yr old uncle who left in his 20s will collapse at his job and now has a stroke and in wheelchair, the sight of him is what scares me so much and I swore I will never be that age still living here. No land no properties, nothing. It scares me. I’ll continue to pray for God to guide me on this decision.

Africa is a rich resources land yet because of bad government and bad governance see as we are in such dilemma. Imagine if all were good back home, nobody or none of us will live abroad.

• aj

August 27, 2016 at 7:13 am

Felinda girl…I love your spirit. Thanks for saying you will try again in 2018…It means you still have hope for Nigeria. I know you are strong and you won’t give up!

• Uberhautelooks.blogspot. com

August 27, 2016 at 10:33 am

At least you have the means of getting out. Those of us who can’t get out must device means to become successful legitimately without any rich parent or connection.
      It’s really hard to be a non-connected Nigerian, living in Naija without Pali!

• fleur

September 30, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Wow Nigeria. Which way. Anyways, the stories of abandonment and unfulfilled promises is a story my parents age mates also told. It was known back in the day that you ought not leave abroad to come home because “everyone you know is not a commissioner” or you have been promised some portfolio. It was a given you would be disappointed. I guess the trend continued.

• Betty

September 11, 2017 at 6:10 am

Hello Felinda,

I enjoyed your post and you made me laugh 🙂 Let’s connect please. [email protected].
      I guess I will beat you to it (relocation) in 2018. lol

6. Weezy

August 26, 2016 at 3:30 pm

I used to subscribe to the series, but eventually had to remove myself from their mailing list. Out of 10 stories, maybe just 1 has concrete information about the challenges they face. Like they say, all na wash. Nobody gives information about whether they earn a salary, if they live with their parents, if their lifestyle is subsidized, etc. Then you have the entrepreneurs looking fly behind the work desk. Are they earning enough to support themselves? Nobody knows. MBTN is a good concept, but in todays economy they need to be more truthful and honest. And now they will charge you to talk to the people It used to be called networking, now its consultation for a fee These guys are a business. Shine your eye.

7. Kikelola

August 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm

@Felinda,

Thank you for you honest account, and I would certainly patronize your book should you pen one. Despite having a successful, well-established professional career here in the States, I’ve recently found the idea of tackling the emerging West African markets very alluring. The sole caveat has been, that if life would be so fantastic as a returnee, why haven’t any of my relatives returned? None of them have gone back, not one. And when they visit, it’s for a couple of weeks at the most.

8. Felinda

August 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm

All those who use to live in US or UK and relocated and come back and tell you they are earning $50000 $60000 etc – ITS A BIG FAT LIE. Gosh people can lie for africa. And i was so stupid believed it because in my mind i was thinking Ok so straight out of BSchool they were earning $80,000 here so back home if they are earning $60000 -they are earning just slightly less cos its africa, so it makes sense .

Abegii all na lies they are not earning any where near $50000 – unless the are the CEO of the multinational company.

I believed them cos whenever they come back to US for vacation and i take them round to do their shopping i see the money they are spending, and i said to my self – my goodness, I am wasting my time in USA. See thousands of dollars disposable income . Let me pack my bags and go join them.

One thing you need to know that back home people lie about their salaries. Especially the returnees who are working in multinational companies.

i have had more than 7 friends who work for oil companies and bank come tell me they earn $60-70,000 united state dollars. Ofcourse they have an MBA from US and UK so i believe them. Come to find out they are all lies upon lies.

I even feel more sorry for the kids who had no choice in the saying and their parents all moved back home and clearly they are struggling and the kids are too, yet they still want to stay to keep up with the joneses. Why pay $2000-$6000 (depending on scchool) in school fees when you can use that money to go buy a house in excellent neighborhood – here in US or UK – use that $2000 to pay your monthly mortgage in that great neighborhood , while at the same time your kid is already born in the US/Uk is attending a more Excellent PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM in that neighborhood. If i was a parent i will not even be talking about relocating home.

Life is too short, why suffer. Returnees with kids spending over $1000 per month to power their house just so you can live comfortably with your constant light and your US born kid can continue to access their internet 🙂 –

If i was a parent i will not relocate. I will sit in this damn cold weather and sacrifice for my kid to school here unless my husband can cater for us VERY COMFORTABLY back home (expact type job) .

If you are single – give it a try like i did but do your homework and ask questions – hopefully folks will tell you the truth. You will not know the truth during your two weeks christmas vacation as you are enjoying and being pampered.

Big Question – Is there money to be made back home than abroad??. Answer Most definitely there is and much more, but the honest truth is, It takes years to make that money, it takes long sacrifice and dealing with much more bullshyt you are not use to . So if you are up for the challenge then go for it. I did it for 6 months, i kuku packed and came back, I will try again i 2018. It takes a lot of trial and error. It takes a lot of you making trips and more than two weeks be in the system – observe stuff, garner business ideas as you figure out untapped markets you can get into for business.

But if you say you will stay for more than abroad 10yrs like i did, and all you do is go for 2 weeks out of the year and then fiam you just stupidly resign your lucrative job and pack everything and ship everything like i did, you may not make it. The sudden shock is too drastic. And i know that living in the usa where all one gets is 2 weeks PTO (paid time off) its very difficult to make several trips every year to go home as you are surveying for a soft landing. I will write all the other options in my book,now that i am getting more encouragement to write this book 🙂

This is why since i came back i have been looking into and studying something new (even though am tired) to switch careers to get into IT. Reason being , like the indians here do earning $50-$200 per hour or more contracting – US is so short of IT pros they hire a lot of indians from INdia on H1B visas and let me tell you these indians are making so much money (YET THE STINGIEST PEOPLE I KNOW) me too i want to get into IT contracting – BY GODS GRACE, I get certified, i get a job do strictly contracting for 6 months contracting on W2 back to back to back, earn my money and save my capital, then go home – do this for 3 yrs or so until i am well settled back home.

I have friend who is an Oracle and SAP Genius, lives back home and still works for his company here in US. working from his laptop.

I regret NOT majoring in IT to begin with but instead this over saturated MBA business thing i did.

IT is the only job in US (or one of the few jobs) where you can contract for 6 months and earn enough money to last you a year. If i have to rewind I will do IT undergrad IT Master IT everything. 🙂 –

ps: Now I am studying to get certified in SAP.
    For the young folks out there now getting into college and undecided on what to do , please research deeply and consider something IT related (the way the world is going) or combine some IT related course to that business major or whatever you choose to do, All the business and MBA bruhahaha is good and dandy but in my opinion you will always be in strong demand anything IT related depending on what you study and the experience you gain.

Another area you may consider is Cyber Security especially in the wake of all this terrorist nonsense, Cyber Security is in strong demand and its growing in US and UK and everywhere.

• ID

December 23, 2016 at 8:06 am

Hi Felinda, I am intrigued by your detailed account.
      I have a good job here in CDN; been here with my entire family for 12 years now. I am just wondering what you think about me doing NYSC for 1 year and coming back to CDN. I do hope to work in Nigeria in the future and go into politics down the road. It is a passion of mine and something I really wanna do. With your account, I am starting to think maybe it’s not worth it? What are your thoughts? Thank you.

9. Lala

August 26, 2016 at 7:08 pm

@Felinda, my dear as naira done fall yakata, na to buy land. Then build small small. My sister in law is an interiors ‘architect’ . She does pop, etc for people’s homes. Little by little we will give her cash to build for us. At least, our money has never gone lost with her. To do old age in the west is like torture. I worked in the care industry for a few months almost 10 yrs ago when I just came to study.
    Many British pensioners are now going to Bulgaria to buy retirement homes because cheaper wages means that they can have full time at home carers and not be lonely. Feli, na only God go help person.
    By the way, when you go to Nigeria in 2018, think services. Services was how I survived. Buying and selling cost me millions of naira and I lost money. Nigerians are quite bad my dear. Imagine you loan someone money, the next thing they go and do jazz against you on top your money! If not services, then have a supermarket in a decent Estate like magodo and sell mainly the basics- rice, beans, provisions, etc. Start small n grow.

Be careful not to stay alone because of gatemen n domestics killing people. Try bring a relation from the village, at least that will deter criminals who can easily notice that you stay alone.

• Felinda

August 27, 2016 at 1:14 am

Lala Thank you for your great Advice on Services – buying and selling aint easy

I am excellent on and highly knowledgeably on providing the greatest customer services to win over your competitors and was thinking of “teaching” companies (eg banks etc) on How to provide the best customer service. Thats good abi?

Hmm – it crossed my mind a few years ago but i thought africans will never pay for such “workshop” – they don’t care for customer service.

By the way i shared this biz idea here cos i am not scared of competition and I am know am the best. 🙂 – there is room for everybody – the more the merrier.

And no i will never live in a house all myself again – that was risky,. I will bring at least two people from village to stay with me. i will go very prepared next time.

• Lala

August 27, 2016 at 10:30 am

My dear. I answered you, but madam Bella no post am. Reach out to me on- lalacareerhelp at gee mail dot com

10. Atm

August 27, 2016 at 12:17 am

I’ve got an honest question though. Why come back? Is it to become big fish in a small pond? What was wrong before? Is it a motherland thing? Many people are moving out, yet there are lots moving back. A lot of people who come back seem to have cushions e.g. rich parents, some high class upbringing etc. There’s nothing wrong with that. It seems like it would be easier to take a hold of opportunities and take risks when the basics are set. So some people answer my question by saying Nigeria is good , and you can make more money or become big fish, if you already have money.some people advise that you move out and come back to better opportunities as a returnee, but isn’t there a chance that this could be the biggest mistake ever made? BN, how do people find out whether they’ve gotten replies to comments anyway?

11. Lala

August 27, 2016 at 10:08 am

@Felinda, that idea get as e be bcos the banks are broke. Without the proceeds of corruption, before 2018, at least, between 1-3 banks will fold up or merge, watch and see.
    Look for services you can sell to the masses. Nigeria is a poor country, even though we don’t like to believe it. I was thinking of a skills college. Something like City and Guild in London, but can be started with just 5 courses. The slogan is- Degrees are cool, but skills pay bills.
    Wedding gown making in partnership with a major designer. Practical electrics with Schneider or Seimens, practical mechanics in partnership with Toyota, Icing techniques, etc. Look at all the foreigners coming to Nigeria, it is mostly skilled work they come for and often they don’t have our many degrees. But bcos I am avoiding Naija like a plague, I discarded the whole idea. Again, it is a start small n grow system. Email me, lets skype about it. [email protected]

12. Wrexham

September 2, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Well can tell you for sure she didn’t finish from University of Waes. She finished from Glyndwr Uni in North Wales. Big difference