Scoop

“My biggest failure was exposing my private life too much” – Tiwa Savage in Elle South Africa’s September 2016 Issue

Tiwa SavageNigerian singer Tiwa Savage is featured in the latest issue of Elle South Africa magazine in an article tagged “Keeping Up With Tiwa”.

In the article the mother of one talks about how she used to be a tomboy before her glam days, her deal with Roc Nation and the fact that her private life was recently subjected to public spectacle.

Speaking about her private life she says “My biggest failure was exposing my private life too much. There will always be speculation, but by addressing it you are adding more fuel to the fire. I now choose not to address anything.”

On her deal with Roc Nation she says “We are finalising the details with his company, and it is an amazing opportunity for any artist, particularly a woman, because traditionally such global parts have largely been enjoyed by the male artists.” She adds “I’m so honoured it has happened to me. And while it may mean, as a woman, I need to work 10 times harder to make things happen, I am fine with that. My approach is: do what it takes”.

Tiwa Savage

Photo Credit:
Photography: Kelechi Amadi-Obi
Style: ETcreate
Hair: Debola Falana
Makeup: Joyce Jacob
Publicist: VA|PR

1. De Duchess

August 21, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I read on SDK, I think last two weeks that she has reconciled with Tee Billz and they are keeping it hush.
    I had that feeling when she first granted that interview. I was just thinking, what if after this, they get back together.

I think if everything had been left as Tee Billz was depressed or suicidal, it would have gone away. When she granted that interview, the media enjoyed themselves, while the people involved suffered.

They could have even blamed it on hackers and at the end of the day, she would tackle Tee Billz.
    Years to come her son will watch that video and his classmates will say nasty things.
    If she has truly reconciled with Tee Bills, the depth of shame the both of them now carry, is what I don’t even want to think of.
    Thats why some people on Bella Naija keep saying ‘Keep your life private’. No one on this cold street is rooting for you. We are here to be entertained.
    Best wishes Tiwa.

• Xoxo

August 21, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Please what do you think you have typed? They should have blamed it on hackers indeed. Cos Nigerians are gullible? Please take several seats. She did what she felt will help her deal with the issue. Seriously people should shut up about saying other people should keep their lives private. It’s none of your business if you’re not close friends or family. And don’t be crude and generalise. Not everyone is here to be entertained. Some people actually feel bad for the person in question not everyone is here to gloat at another persons downfall. Also the son is not your son don’t bother about what his classmates will say. Tiwa you look really good and I wish you the best. If you and Tunji worked things out I wish both of you marital bliss and a happy life. If not, just take care of Jamal hopefully love will find you.

• Favour

August 21, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Think about it this way, if it wasn’t made public probably the issue wouldn’t have been resolved.. If she didn’t grant the interview to clear the air , there will be reservations and her career will be tarnished… The fact she is talking about it now is unnecessary, people have moved on . No need for regret, mend your name and family

• Leah

August 21, 2016 at 8:17 pm

I agree with you on keeping your private life private, but the husband and the husband alone is to blame for that media spectacle. He should have humbled himself, apologized to his wife and worked on being a better human being, instead he chose to play the victim and leveled very serious aligations against her in public. I’m sure in hindsight Tiwa maybe would have handled it differently, but in the heat of the moment she wanted to defend herself against a man who was threatening suicide while blaming her. I hope the both have learned their from it. I love Tiwa and wish them both well.

• Lacey

August 21, 2016 at 8:39 pm

@Leah!was Joseph in the Bible not accused of rape?why does anyone have to defend themselves to thunknown public people!You do that within the privacy of family meeting!not explanation to the whole world!I knew she was going to reconcile after all the plenty explanation in defense!whatever rocks her boat!

• Leah

August 21, 2016 at 9:06 pm

The questions are: Why did the husband cheat? Why did he mismanage her money? Why was he living above his means? Why was he owing so many people so much money? Drugs? And many, yet had the nerve to try to destroy her in public? Those and the questions. And Tiwa is not Joseph from your Bible. Please do not try to blame Tiwa just because she took all his mess, but finally had enough and drew the line. They were two in that marriage, one can’t and shouldn’t expect to always be at the receiving end. She takes care of their child, takes care of the bills, while he spends, cheats, and gets to call her a ho in public. Why? Now that he has been exposed maybe he can now humble himself, get a job, take care of his children and learn to respect the women in his life. Joseph ke? Isn’t that special. I agree with you about the shame after all that public mess. But I am not Tiwa, will never put myself in her position but I understand that she is not Saint Joseph.

• Damilola

August 21, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Blame it on hackers? That’s stupid. Teebillz is a grown man, suicidal or not he chose to talk negatively about his wife. He knew what he was doing even if he was high on drugs. Then Tiwa chose to reveal things in depth about their personal life. They both are accountable for their actions. Anybody can be married, the important part is, are you HAPPILY married or just managing. I won’t be surprise if they get back together.

• Random

August 22, 2016 at 12:08 am

Someone attempted to take their own life and publicly accused you and your mother of being the cause in addition to other serious allegations. How do u handle an already public matter privately? She needed an outlet and no matter whom she shared it with it would’ve leaked…..no big deal. She needn’t not regret or be hard on herself. The price of celebrity status. Those who will talk will talk wether in public or private and move on. No trial lingers forever. Anyone who is a gossip or entertains themselves with other people’s problems lack wisdom and they too will suffer the same as we all face issues.
      Happy for her. We all learn from our challenges.

• Prince

August 22, 2016 at 9:26 am

Your brain dey smell. They’ve learnt their lessons and please go take care of your own family if you have one.

• i concur

August 22, 2016 at 10:36 am

I want to like your comment a million times but bella wont let me

2. Me

August 21, 2016 at 7:42 pm

You wanted to be all lovey dovey on line, so you better roll with the punches. People did not even know Dija is married, let alone a baby and there’s so many others to add to this list, as you have made your bed with your vitafoam, make you kuku sleep well

• ATL's finest

August 21, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Lmao!! Haba be nice but on Dija, I LOVE that chick. I didn’t even know who she was dating.. And till this day, I don’t think I have seeing her hubby & I just saw her baby 3days ago on BN. I’m like what?? Never knew she had the baby already although she was rumored to be pregos then when she got married. I don’t think I even saw her baby bump. But privacy is a great source of WEAPON & I have always USed mine greatly even tho ain’t no celeb.

• Rush

August 22, 2016 at 1:37 pm

You can’t compare Dija’s status with Tiwas. Tiwa is more popular and more celebrated than Dija. Abeg how many people sabi Dija. The more popular you are the more public your life. Reason like a normal human being.

3. Anjola

August 21, 2016 at 7:57 pm

The funny thing is that if she hadn’t addressed it, y’all would’ve been here going “Tiwa drove her husband to suicide, Tiwa sleeps around.” Y’all would’ve believed Teebillz and her career and image would’ve been ruined. Everyone would’ve seen Tiwa as the neglectful wife and Tunji as the innocent husband. Look, my husband doesn’t do a thing to help out with our daughters and I don’t pretend that he’s a good father to them. Why bother? They know he’s not a responsible father, they see his ways. I will never lie to them that he cares about them and Tiwa shouldn’t pretend to Jamil that Tunji is a good father either. Children always know when you’re lying.

4. cigan

August 21, 2016 at 8:02 pm

xyz…

5. MzBiola

August 21, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Resilient woman! I admire her strength, and she looks amazing.

6. m

August 21, 2016 at 8:39 pm

If they are working things out, I am the happiest. People deserve chances and opportunity to learn and grow. Their biggest weakness was immaturity and superficiality. I believe in love and if they both work on this and are better off even if not as a couple, but great friends, what a beautiful story it will be. I particularly want to see Tbillz make something better of himself also Tiwa direct to apologize to his ex if truly he abandoned her and his kids, be good.

• Grace

August 22, 2016 at 2:59 pm

@m, I want to believe that you grew up in a monogamous family. If you did, may it continue to be so for you and your generation. I am not saying Tiwa should not apologize o but don’t you think the woman wants her husband and the father of her kids back. Don’t think you have ever experienced polygamy. Apologizing should come with remorse and restitution right?

7. GraceOfGOD

August 21, 2016 at 8:49 pm

@All,

Good evening EVERYONE. I wish to SHARE my THOUGHTS. I know what I am about to SAY will NOT go down WELL with MANY but it is my SINCERE opinion. That PICTURE of Tiwa is INDECENT. You can be an ENTERTAINER without having to SHOW your PRECIOUS BODY that way. Our BODY is the TEMPLE of GOD. We should RESPECT ourselves and STOP trying to LIVE like the AMERICANS. It is NOT everything we should COPY. SORRY BUT that PICTURE STOPPED me from even READING her story. The way you DRESS is the way PEOPLE will ADDRESS you. I wish her WELL and I encourage US to DRESS PROPERLY. Have a VERY NICE week and may GOD bless and protect all of US in JESUS name I prayed, amen 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Ceebaby

August 21, 2016 at 9:25 pm

And you said all that with grace abi? Please focus on other things, it is not your body.

• Sevenade

August 21, 2016 at 9:26 pm

The picture stopped you from reading but it didn’t stop you from commenting? What she wore was not sexually provocative so I don’t know what you are talking about. Learn to mind your business ok.

• Ms jazz

August 21, 2016 at 9:35 pm

And who made you judge and jury? What you’ve just done is a sin in the eyes of God by judging another human being. Please have several seats!

• Anon

August 21, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Pay attention to your caps lock.

• le coco

August 22, 2016 at 4:35 am

A one piece is indecent? loool… madam… comot

• R

September 24, 2016 at 7:35 am

What did your ancestors wear? Didn’t they walk around with barely any clothes on?

8. teee

August 21, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Never knew her waist size was 24 and hips 42.

9. Lilo

August 21, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Tunji was a madman before Tiwa. But I also reckon that being single in your 30s is a real struggle for a naija babe. Choosing between a rock and a hard place. It is well.

• Joke

August 22, 2016 at 5:02 am

Thank you Lilo. Madman is the word. The guy needs serious counseling. As a Yoruba girl, I knew that’s what will happen. People will mediate that she should take the useless person in a hunk’s body that is T-Billz back and if she likes, she should take him back and give it time, they will daru again. The guy is immature and not fit for marriage. Kids scattered all over the place from different mothers at what age? Big spender but not big earner. Iranu. What will he do by the time he’s in his 60s? Oshi.

• Xoxo

August 22, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Honestly it breaks my heart if they are truly back together because it is very clear he is a horrible person, from bashing her and her family online, to spending lavishly, not providing and disrespecting her. Sigh, after all he did to her and her family. I can only wish them the best but I really hope for her sake and Jamal’s sake that she didn’t get back with him. They can still be his parents but getting back together?

10. Somto

August 21, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Hmmm “do what it takes” That is a very broad statement to make in that kind of industry so be careful that it does not turn out to be another one of your failures, your words not mine Tiwa.

• Ngbabe

August 23, 2016 at 3:33 am

@xoxo, really? Husband and wife get back together will hurt you hmm? Check yourself. God protect us from online witches.

11. good girl

August 21, 2016 at 9:47 pm

easily swayed nigerians..smh..i remember how y’all cursed him out in hundreds on all blogs ..then come here to say i wish them well,…happy married life??? gerrout jor…

12. Gorgeous

August 22, 2016 at 1:04 am

I hope for Tiwa’s sake she is not going back to this guy for real. Tiwa do not listen to sadistic older Nigerian advice that believe in the death of a woman. This Tunji will never change, he will only get smarter and resort to emotional blackmail. This guy has too many issues going on and really should take time out to sort himself out before attaching himself to any human being. Tiwa you cannot help him change but you can help him from afar. Such people will take and take and take until you are left with nothing. And then they will leave you satisfied that you have been destroyed. The forces chasing this man is more than you can manage. Let him change himself first, or the next time there is a fight it might just be your death.

• Ngbabe

August 23, 2016 at 3:41 am

I hope you’re married right? You are advising Tiwa not to get back with her husband so that her son will miss the father figure in his life right? If they’ve settled, let them get back together and fix their marriage and build their home. You want her to stay single and raise her son single handedly so that you’ll start calling her strong woman and she’ll now turn philosopher okay?

13. jane(the real jane)

August 22, 2016 at 6:20 am

Of cuz she’l regret spilln all d details….bcoz who e help? u just made ursef entertainment for us….i always felt she cud have given dt interview without going into details like she did. I mean she virtually told all d dirty details of her marriage to d entire public. Not family sef. And as much as it branded t-billz it also branded her. How many. Of us can tink of her wtout doz details comn 2 mind? Look @ toke…after d big scandal aunty kept mute. I respected her 4 dt…she cud have cm out in a video bashn d man, telln us errytn…but @ d end we wld only have dirty details stored abt her in our memory. I hope tiwa has learned 4rm it. That interview was a Big mistake and words ain’t what u cn take bck..hw mch more wrds said on tv 4 all 2 see.. Wish her d best in her future endeavors.

• Ch

August 22, 2016 at 9:33 am

And someone just had to mention Toke, don’t we ever get tired? Must you measure everything by the same yardstick? Did Toke’s ex announce that he wanted to commit suicide because of her, et al? Social media has just made everybody accuser, judge and jury. It’s sad

14. Victor Adegoke

August 22, 2016 at 7:35 am

She could have kept her PRIVATE life for only herself. Tiwa is now regretting the effect it had on her Marriage. Eeya Sorry! You can become a Landlord with Cheap Rates at Lekki phase1, Magboro,Ibeju-Lekki, Ikorodu etc. Contact us on 08052467442 for more details.

15. NationalSquirrel

August 22, 2016 at 7:53 am

LOL. This babe is a joke. Abeg let’s hear word

16. Beth

August 22, 2016 at 8:39 am

The greatest disease in Nigeria that has plagued women for centuries. Stay silence syndrome. Cover up, pretend, live in denial… cant believe it is still women who are still encouraging this sickness..

17. Nv

August 22, 2016 at 9:04 am

Thats the thing I don’t get with the people shouting privacy. If she had kept quiet and he had gone ahead and God forbid,committed suicide, I can’t imagine the kind of vitriol that would have been hurled at Tiwa. Her reputation and unfortunately,carreer would have been damaged so much! How does one handle such public accusations with the accuser on the verge of suicide? Lets say he then dies,do you really think the public would give her a chance let alone forgive her after the deed has been done? She would have been eating alive! People would say she didn’t defend herself while he was still living because she was guilty. I sympathise with her bcos I don’t what would have been the best way,you know. Even now,after her everything,there are people still blaming her and its quite sad. I’m not a huge Tiwa fan but I genuinely wish her the best!!

18. Ninny

August 22, 2016 at 12:41 pm

You people should leave her alone. She handled the past the best way she could. She has learnt a whole deal…i mean isnt that why our pasts are EXPERIENCES??. Tiwa do not regret, it was just a transition. Whatever life throws @ you, handle to GOD, then do the one(s) you can do. BE YOURSELF. CONDEMNATION AND HYPOCRISY from World People, isnt going anywhere…it is here to stay. Just live right, do not be afraid to fail, most importantly, Be Fulfiled.

19. Ninny

August 22, 2016 at 12:43 pm

fulfilled*

20. AmericanWonder

August 22, 2016 at 3:55 pm

It was ok for her to address the situation. HOWEVER, she went into TOO MUCH DETAIL, she made herself public entertainment, more fodder for the public to feat on & feast they did. They don’t care an iota, just more drama for the spectators. It was stupid, crass & unprofessional. Thought her media team was better than that. The whole thing was very ill-thought, no surprise she’s full of regrets.

21. tunmi

August 22, 2016 at 4:08 pm

1. Sharing the details actually helped you. Your husband was the one who did wrong. But you have been raised to carry all the burden so go ahead.

2. I’d rather the two of you stay separated. The decision is yours but I shall not be surprised if this incident or worse happens again. Your biggest mistake would be getting back with this guy.

3. “And while it may mean, as a woman, I need to work 10 times harder to make things happen, I am fine with that. My approach is: do what it takes” this is just fu*ked up.

22. BM

August 24, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Thank goodness she learned early. I was almost crucified by friends when I said she should not have included those details.t deny the allegations via a press release and say that your privacy must be respected at this point in time. That, in my opinion, was negative publicity because for the kid’s sake

23. Kkay

August 28, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I wonder why people care so much about what others think and not about what God thinks of them or their lives and choices.
    When you enter your closet, pray to God and do what He guides you to do, you would not be weighed down by people’s or popular opinions.
    With these myriad opinions , which should she take? CONFUSION!
    Man’s opinion would always change but God’s opinion will not change.
    BE WISE!