News

19-year-old Secondary School Student Commits Suicide after Her Boyfriend Reportedly Dumped Her

Jessica Beer2

Jessica Beer

Jessica Beer, a 19-year-old female student of Dyege Memorial College, Akpehe, Makurdi, Benue State, on Wednesday committed suicide after her boyfriend, identified simply as Labi, impregnated another girl and subsequently dumped her, PUNCH reports.

The report stated that a close friend of the victim said that Beer killed herself because she loved Labi and could not accept that she had been jilted.

“My friend had brought a sharp knife the day before the incident to my house. She said I should follow her to her boyfriend’s house, threatening to deal with him. But I advised her not to take the law into her own hands. When I went to see her the next day, I met Jessica (Beer) on the floor, vomiting blood and I quickly raised the alarm,” the source said.

The victim was rushed to Yiman Hospital, where doctors certified her dead.

Atser Terkimbi, the Chief Nurse at Yiman hospital, where the victim was rushed to, said that when the victim was brought to the hospital, she was foaming at the mouth as a result of the substance she took, which later claimed her life.

According to Beer’s classmate, “I was told that the boyfriend (Labi) is a cultist and an armed robber, who had refused to further his education. Why should my friend commit suicide over such a person? I can never do such a thing.”

The proprietress of the school, Mercy Dyege, condemned the news, adding that this is the first time such incident will occur in the school.

“My teachers always pray with the students and teach them the words of God, especially the female students. I also told the girls that when they put their minds on their studies and complete  their education, men will look for them. This kind of incident has never occurred in my school and I condemn this behaviour in strong terms,” she said.

“Jessica was a beautiful young lady and in our last prize giving and graduation day, she contested for ‘Miss Dyege’, organised by the college, and won the crown. So, she killed herself at a time she was about to fulfill her dream in life. May her soul rest in peace,” said one of her teachers, Timothy Tyoyange.

Vanguard reports that an eyewitness and neighbour of the deceased said that she was pregnant for Labi, a pork seller at the popular Wurukum Market in Makurdi.

“Before her death, we suspected that the girl had been in a relationship with one Labi, but we did not know until now that she was pregnant for him,” the source said.

The source added that Labi dumped the deceased for another girl, whom he had also impregnated and promised to marry.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Moses Yamu, confirmed the incident, saying that “Investigation has commenced. I advise other students to desist from such acts.

Photo Credit: PUNCH

1. Bodunade

September 15, 2016 at 10:46 am

Young Love can be overwhelming.

She has been failed by society, her parents and our poor mental health system.

Sleep on young one.

2. Prince

September 15, 2016 at 10:52 am

How has she been failed by her parents and society. We should stop trading blames. Didn’t you hear her colleagues says their teachers always teach them morals and God’s word. She chose that path. Is she the only student?

3. Spunky

September 15, 2016 at 11:15 am

I hope she finds eternal peace!

4. i love my husband

September 15, 2016 at 11:46 am

silly little girl..killing yourself over a man in secondary school..oma se o(what a pity)…what young girls call love these days baffles me..

5. Katiana

September 15, 2016 at 12:03 pm

We women need to learn to love ourselves. Our happiness should not depend on any man. Appreciating oneself can be hard especially when you feel undeserving but lets learn to feel happy in our own company and not feel only good when validated by others.

6. Naj

September 15, 2016 at 12:18 pm

poor girl”Smh RIP

7. Marian

September 15, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I think she was trying to have an abortion. She was probably scared of her parents finding out about the pregnancy and tried to get rid of it by ingesting an unknown substance. They need to start talking about safe sex and the risk of abortions in high schools. I used to think nigerian girls were very conservative and i was alarmed to find out a lot of people are just faking it. We were doing physicals and it never even occured to me to ask any of the 16-18yrs old if they’ve ever had an abortion. So, i’m sitting next to this very experienced doctor and he asked the patient who looked to be about 19 how many abortion she’s had. He didn’t even ask if she was sexually active he straight up just asked her how many abortion? I was sitting down with my mouth opened like dang! This dr is very rude and was about to call him out on it only for the girl to smile and say two. As in two abortion!!! And both times it was her neighbor who gave her something to drink. How can someone be stupid like that to have two abortions for just one bf? I told her i was 98.9% sure that guy is not going to marry her. I educated her on the risk and scarring which can prevent her from have any more babies when she’s actually ready. I asked all the other females i saw that day and was shocked to find out they don’t really see it as a big deal.

8. i love my husband

September 15, 2016 at 1:19 pm

@Marian, you are very correct, young girls have abortions these days than we think, my 19 year old house help one time was almost going to die of stomach pain in my house, after several threats, she said her friend gave her some concoction to take to abort her pregnancy, she had barely started work in my house, apparently she came pregnant. When i asked her why she would use such a thing without informing her parents and letting them take her to the hospital, to my amazement, she said this was not the first time she’s using it, so apparently, girl had aborted more than once. I quickly told her agent to come get her, i cant deal sorry, plus she used to take ogogoro..all those cheap ones , she would buy when i send her on errand and come home drunk talking rubbish. she left my house immediately, I got kids and I cant afford bad influence

• lennybroux

September 15, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Nigerians lie. They like pretending like bad things just started. Women in the 60s, 70s and 80s were runs girls, did drugs, had abortions,slept with married men etc. Men in those days also cheated on their wives, kept separate homes etc. The rape percentages then were very high. Couples also divorced and kept up appearances before social media. You get my point. At least women’s rights now are even thriving. Let’s please stop idealising the past and acting like bad things just started now. Social media just makes things more open.

9. Tru

September 15, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I’m almost in tears. This thing called love eh, it kills

• jhennique

September 16, 2016 at 8:59 am

Which kyn dirty love? This is not love. This is foolishness. Her parents did not beat it out of her as a child and look where it landed her today. God help

10. That-I-May-Fly

September 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

19 year old still dey secondary school for Nig? No comment. I pray her soul finds peace.

11. esteem

September 15, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Children of nowadays can no longer be called children o, it is high time we taught them sex education before they learn it their own way. I can tell my child when she’s approaching puberty and almost ripe as guys may call it to desist from sex or better still use a condom if need be but as a father i would love her to keep to herself till she’s mature enough to decide when to have it. A lot of parent cannot talk to dia children wen sex issues are bn discussed rather they will shout at them when it comes to the scene of kissing nd romance in our home videos.R.i.p

12. dd

September 15, 2016 at 3:55 pm

@That-I-May-Fly Yea, lots of 19/20 year old especially in the middle-belt where the victim hailed from. I served in Benue state back in 2012 and had to teach senior classes with students in their 20s. I even had a young nursing mother in my SS2 class. Sadly, we are not doing enough with regards to proper and early education in Nigeria. A lot of them have no one to encourage them on the benefits of having at least first school leaving certificate, they only begin to consider it when they come across folks from down south like youth corp members or workers transferred to their states. The few who attend schools spend most part of the 1st term on their farms, taking advantage of the rainy season to make ends meet. It is a really sad situation and i hope we truly begin to have a conversation geared towards revamping our education sector. Every child deserves a chance..

13. mela

September 15, 2016 at 5:28 pm

….May her soul rest in peace….such a wasted life.
    Let’s keep talking to these young ones whenever we have the opportunity. Dnt feel is nt ur business!

14. kems

September 15, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Bn work on ur blog d girl showing on d screen is not letting me see well it’s blocks d view

15. Jamce

September 17, 2016 at 2:08 am

Just thinking whether a “Miss Degye” contest for a secondary school would enhance the students focus on their education or enhance focus on being sexy (in the name of beauty) and lust (now termed love). Does this not also contradict the religious pretences of praying with the students and teach them the word of God, “especially the female students”. So the male students do not really need the word of God.

Anyway, what do I know about the importance and psychology of beauty contests for teenagers with very impressionable minds?

16. Valkyr

September 17, 2016 at 1:37 pm

She could no longer look life in the eye. She rebelled against it.

It takes willpower to kill thyself