Scoop

AY Makun’s “30 Days in Atlanta” gets a MAJOR feature in Guinness World Records 2017

AY Makun

AY Makun

It’s good news for Comedian AY has his movie ’30 Days in Atlanta’ has been featured in the 2017 Guiness World Records as one of the films with the highest domestic gross in Bollywood, Nollywood and Hollywood.

This is the first time a Nigerian movie will hit that milestone since the Guinness World Records began in 1955!

He shared this on Instagram:

Warri boy don enter the 2017 Guinness World Records with ’30 Days In Atlanta’ ooooo

The movie has been officially recognized by the 2017 Guinness World Records as one of the films with the highest domestic gross in the territories of Bollywood, Nollywood and Hollywood. The record breaking movies listed are ‘PK’ from India, ’30 Days In Atlanta’ from Nigeria and ‘Star Wars’ From The United States of America.

This is the first time ever that the Nigerian film industry which is one of the largest in the world, will be achieving such a tremendous success that will be registered by the ‘Guinness World Records’ since 1955 when it was first published.

I am dedicating this milestone in my career to all the casts and crew of 30 Days In Atlanta. Also to everyone who went to the cinemas to see the movie when it came out.
Let’s do it again with my new movie ‘A Trip to Jamaica’ premiering on September 25th, and showing across cinemas in Nigeria from September 30th.

1. Prince

September 7, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Congratulations.

2. JaraPlay

September 7, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Happy for him..

jaraplay.com.ng

3. Marlvina

September 7, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Great achievement AY. Congrats. Nigeria is a great nation tho. Talented people.

4. Dolly

September 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm

I must have seen a different 30 days in Atlanta coz no way anyone watched that junk half way without torture smdh

• anti-dolly

September 7, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Could you puleaze shift to the haters’ corner or join this hardworking young man to just celebrate?

• Dolly

September 8, 2016 at 12:26 am

Hater’s….word is as old & tired as you, now that’s something you should celebrate.

• Julie Ann

September 7, 2016 at 10:49 pm

They will call you a hater Dolly.

In Nigeria – the land where Mediocrity is Praised. That is why the top 2 o r 3 actress who are deem the best are all STUCK and cant go past anything higher cos they step out of Nollywood (where their asses have been kissed so much) and go to places like Hollywood or even SA they see say their acting aint shiiiittttttt. Its all good ONLY in Nollywood where masses kiss their asses on social media praising them as their head gets bigger and bigger and they cant humble them selves on set even with the best director cos they feel they are on top. Leonardo still knows how to humble himself as he is directed by Martin Scorcese even after decades in the industry. Not Nollywood so called stars.

If you guys continue to praise these type of bullshyt movies then we have a long way to go. Yes i understand it was comedy, but even for simple comedy it was so not funny and the acting was all horrible.

People watching it and praising it dont know any better so i understand.

I repeat AYs 30 Days in atlanta was shitty and one of the worse movies i ever wasted my time watching – precious time i can never get back.

• LMAO

September 7, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Lmao. I salute his achievements but the movie was mad dry to me.

• Smackdown

September 8, 2016 at 10:30 am

True talk Dolly jare, the movie was underwhelming. Everyone just bought into the hype. Kudos to AY sha… The Guinness book of records title for his award should have been the most mediocre moving with the highest domestic gross.

• Smackdown

September 8, 2016 at 10:31 am

Movie

5. Adamazi

September 7, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Congrats to him

6. AY and SDK

September 7, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Hollywood where??? Girl bye, it was never released anywhere but nigerian events in houston and atlanta…lol

• LMAO

September 7, 2016 at 11:12 pm

They are reporting this information in an inaccurate manner. 30 Days in Atlanta is the highest grossing film in Nollywood, PK with Aamir Khan is highest in Bollywood and Star Wars is highest grossing film in Hollywood/worldwide. They keep saying Bollywood, Nollywood and Hollywood as if the movie achieved the feat in all three industries…. you know our people sha and how gra gra their journalism can be sometimes lol. That aside, big ups to AY and his cast and team for their achievement and best of luck in future endeavors.

• kuku

September 8, 2016 at 9:09 am

Ay ….Good news ..wishing you better days in your career and a forgiving heart

7. Julie Ann

September 7, 2016 at 10:41 pm

30 Days one of the most embarrassing cringe worthy MEDIOCRE movie at best i ever watched. Horrible movie – Not Funny, Acting Terrible absolutely perfect for Nigerians who praise mediocrity. When you tell the truth for their own best so they aim for nothing but the best, and not mediocrity, they call you a hater.

Apart from 76 and 93 – i fear what the brutal oyinbo critics will say at TIFF with the remaining 7 or 8 movies which to me were not TIFF worthy. How those were selected beats my mind.

Whoever thinks 30 Days is a great movie you have horrible taste in what is deem great, but them again to each his own

Continue to praise mediocrity, they will continue to produce mediocre movies. Nollywood – the land where 90% movies are all mediocre – YES OR NO, ?? answer the question. Simple Yes or NO

8. Julie Ann

September 7, 2016 at 10:52 pm

If 173 million people of which 3/4 dont know any better when it comes to what is defined as good movie, all pay ten naira to go watch this movie ofcourse it will be the highest gross.

There are more better young instagram african comedians who make me laugh than AY.

You can call me a hater all you want. The movie was CRAP!! CRAP CRAP

9. Safiyanú Idris

September 8, 2016 at 2:14 am

woooow… Congratulations Ay for a job well done. God bless ur career.

10. Uju

September 8, 2016 at 3:05 am

bellanaija you might as well just shut down this BLOG if you are not going to allow comments
    You and I know 30 Days of ATlanta was CRAP.
    Nigeria Land of Mediocrity Bullshit movies – praised by the likes of BellaNaija
    HOw much is AY paying you to delete comments

11. good girl

September 8, 2016 at 10:43 am

choi…my BNers…una get mouth sha….but articulate mouth..lol

12. rain

September 8, 2016 at 12:47 pm

rubbish movie……..watched the rubbish so can tell you/…………………….mediocre

13. Somborri

September 8, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Just came to this post to click “love this!” on any comment that says that 30 days in Atlanta was CRAP. *adjusting my hater crown proudly because I’m allowed to hate what ever is worthy of my hate*

14. BABE

September 9, 2016 at 6:34 am

In my lovely opinion, a lot of people hailed the movie cuz e get foreign actors and actresses in it. They never hail or hype movies that have only African talents like this. No be say the man shouldn’t enjoy his honor but I dey talk irrespective of that. Our people too like mediocrity. If you carry an A-list Nollywood star and cast am with D-list Hollywood star for a movie where all the Hollywood star does is pick his or her nose? Chai, come see how our people go dey rave about how fantastic the nose picking was because e get foreigner. If you try am with just Nollywood/Ghanaian stars? Come and see insults and abuse.

Truth be told (in my views anyway), AY sabi over act like the thing dey go out of style. I prefer him behind the cameras cuz I na think na there him talent dey but na him sabi. There was no chemistry among the characters and some people seem like dem dey read their lines from a teleprompter or somethiny. Shoo, even fine boy Ramsey wey get talent did just okay in the movie. Anyway, our people sabi melt whenever a foreign person or entity recognizes them for anything. They tend to appreciate that more than the love and support they get from local fans and if you talk otherwise na bad belle or hating. Speaking of hating, all these people wey dey holler hater cuz some people no enjoy the movie, abeg, biko, ejo, por favor, make una go sit down for potopoto and roll around in it. If liking the movie doesn’t make you bona-fide bumbum kisser, why should disliking it make another person a hater? Crab mentality, that”s why.

All that aside, some lessons AY fit teach some movie makers for our side is how to advertise. The man promote the movie die. He got everybody he knows to promote the movie and it paid off. Even people wey no see the movie dey hail am and some people started hailing the movie before it even came out lol. He also got sponsors involved to make a good budget film cuz in many cases, it takes money to make money. So while I rate the movie 2/10 (2 out of generosity), I say chop knuckle to AY for seeing an opportunity, seizing it and doing something worthwhile with it. I just pray this won’t encourage him to make more movies like 30 Days in Atlanta lmfao.

15. Bowl

September 9, 2016 at 12:50 pm

i agree 30 days was crap, but you have to understand your market. This is the only reason why Linda ikeji, Davido, Whizkid and co are doing well. If the movie is too technical it won’t attract the kind of attention these supposedly razz movies will attract. In our judgements let’s remember we are first ,Nigerians hailing from Nnewi, Akoko, Ajegunle, BoKi, etc before we ever carried our assess to Lagos,New jersey , as the case may be!

16. I_I

September 10, 2016 at 11:25 am

The way folks were hailing this movie in my office, I just had to watch it. Bought a pirated copy in traffic from a hawker. Got home, rushed to slot it into the DVD . . . I was just tanking God, I did not waste my fuel and money to go watch it in a cinema. Crap is an understatement: the movie was not remotely funny, the story was disjointed, the characters were half-baked, and A.Y’s acting was pretty annoying. That day I vowed I would never watch anything by A.Y again, so good-luck to him with “30 Days in Jamaica”