Career

KC Agu: 4 Ways to Strike a Perfect Balance Between Your Side Hustle & Your Day Job

dreamstime_m_693351Three years ago, I attended a youth conference where a speaker said something I strongly agreed with. He said one cannot become rich by having a sole source of income; but that multiple sources of income bring enormous wealth.
That one-liner made me to really appreciate the power and benefits in diversification. Have you ever pondered why big organizations and wealthy individuals are poised on further investments for more incomes?

Have you pondered why Facebook bought WhatsApp? How about the persistence of John D. Rockefeller and Warren Buffett on identifying more business opportunities and investing in other organizations despite all the wealth they have?

Having a day job shouldn’t confine you to a mere daily ritual of fulfilling job schedules without thinking on how to invest in other businesses for more income. If influential and wealthy entrepreneurs do this, then you do not have any excuse not to have side hustles that will generate income alongside your day job.

But truth be told, getting into other business while keeping your day job is painstakingly hard to manage. For me, it took a lot of sacrifices before I could manage to hold both aspects squarely.

For those who plan to start other businesses, here are four ways you can manage both without them clashing with one another:

Automate Most of Your Core Processes
You can’t accomplish much at your job and business if you’re planning on doing everything yourself. There should be strict balance between the two jobs. Obviously the day job can’t be outsourced or automated in any form. That leaves you with your side hustle.

It all boils down to what takes the whole of your time. Those are the kind of stuff you should consciously outsource.

For example, I hate doing the writing jobs of my clients because they eat all of my time. I don’t like doing the hiring of new virtual staff; I’m terrible at that aspect too.

Why do I push these processes to employees? It’s simply because I need to maximize as much little time I can get so I can effectively accomplish more with my side hustle.

So basically, the only way you can maximize your time effectively is to outsource the core works of your side hustle and focus on the easy ones that bring in the most gain for you.

Think Pareto 80/20 Rule.

What are the core things you do now that isn’t bringing in the most income? Automate them. Develop a system that will handle the processes so you don’t have to do much work in those areas. That way you get free time to think and strategize more for business growth and expansion.

Focus on the Routines, not the Results
In the book, “The Power of Habits“, Charles Duhigg kept on emphasising that we are creatures of habit. I totally agree with most of the discoveries he laid bare in the book. Especially this profound line – “The result isn’t important. What’s important is the daily routine”.

A lot of people aren’t able to balance their day job with their side hustle because they calculate their progress by the results they get. They believe they’re not making good use of time at both jobs because they aren’t reaching their specific goals for each day.

According to Duhigg, people shouldn’t calculate their progress based on a specific result they want to attain. When you run two jobs, it’s tempting to do so.

Those who focus on results will look defeated whenever they can’t finish the “checklist” they have planned for that day. This end up demotivating them to think they cannot keep those two works without hassle.

Instead of focusing on results, for me, I simply focus on routines.

Instead of saying “write 5 articles today for my business blog”, I’d say “write 1 article everyday”. Turning my normal processes into easy daily routines makes it easy to turn them into daily habit.

And good work habits are the only way you can effectively keep side hustles and a day job working perfectly without headache.

Sacrifice Something Important
You can actually run a job and a business simultaneously and still do things which people without a day job do.

A lot must be given up if both aspects mustn’t clash with one another. For me, less sleep is my own personal sacrifice.

As someone who was managing an online freelance website with clients to write for and still had a day job, I had to reduce sleep from 6 hours to 4 hours and cut out watching TV from my equation (except during weekends).

Yours can be that game console or that TV in your room.

Sacrifices need to be made to be able to manage those two aspects effectively. And the only viable way to do this is to sacrifice some routines for your job and side hustle. Everything falls under priority and strict time management schedule.

Know and Understand “Your Why”
One thing about daily routine is that there will come a time where the law of diminishing return sets in. This normally does happen when there are enormous pressures from your boss on the one hand, and from your clients on the other hand.

Running a job and a startup simultaneously requires hyper motivation. One of the top reasons thousands of startups pack up each day is because the founders lost enthusiasm and drive for the business.

You must grow beyond the level of being easily demotivated to being highly motivated no matter how bad it gets. And you can do that by finding out why you need two jobs in the first place.

Your motives and passion will go a long way to keep you in business. You have to really understand WHY you’re running two core aspects at once. If your why is strong enough, then giving up will no longer an option at all.

Want to know how I relieve myself from every state of tiredness and pressures? I simply outsource the core aspects of my demanding business. Doing this will calm your nerves and invigorate you to passionately do what you love doing while maintaining your day job and side hustle.

Then in time, when your side hustle grows and start making cool dollars like my freelance writing business did, you can finally approach that your employer and tender your resignation letter.

Photo Credit: Mark Aplet | Dreamstime.com

Kc Agu is a Speaker, Startup Consultant and a freelance writer passionate about entrepreneurship. He co-owns two blogs that specializes on dishing out quality startup ideas and skin care tips. Get in touch with him for ghost writing, website content creation and other professional writing services.

1. Ak

September 20, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Sleep for 4 hours only!!!

• Kc Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Dear, that’s the price you’ve got to pay to live the passive entrepreneurial life everybody dreams of in Nigeria.

2. mela

September 20, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Very insightful. Thanks for sharing

Pls I need business ideas oh. I work in aba…..Can anyone help a sister

• .....ok

September 20, 2016 at 6:03 pm

U work in Aba ke.. Biko help us supply crepe fabric to Lagos na.. Let’s arrange

• Miss Anonymous

September 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Seconded!

• didi

September 20, 2016 at 10:00 pm

There are genuine online businesses that would allow you to earn daily without interfering with your regular job or business. If would like to know more about these online business opportunities where you can invest and earn daily contact me on 08082624541 (available on Whatsapp)

• Kc Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:05 pm

It depends on how much you have to start the business. What’s your budget like?

3. 'Diddie

September 20, 2016 at 6:47 pm

hello…thanks. How can you write winning proposals,i also do freelancing jobs?

4. Anne

September 20, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Mela, follow up on …..Ok’s offer. If Mela is not interested, ….Ok please send me an email at [email protected]. I have contacts in Aba who can help you source the fabric.

• Amaka

September 20, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Hello

5. Amaka

September 20, 2016 at 7:41 pm

I am really interested in doing fabric business with someone from aba particularly crepe and foam business

6. mela

September 20, 2016 at 8:14 pm

…..ok am interested pls. Email me @ [email protected]. Awaiting your response!

7. monica

September 20, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I live and work in benin city
    , I have prayed to God to give me a side biz idea,but nothing comes to mind.if anyone has options for me, I will be more than grateful if you share with me.

8. monica

September 20, 2016 at 10:15 pm

My email address is [email protected]

9. xplorenollywood.com

September 20, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Nice write-up! I see people already making arrangements for business?! Balance work and side hustle is tough oh! But I will look at you points and turn it up some more.

• Kc Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Xplore, thanks for the complement. Do let me know when you launch out.

10. busybee

September 20, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I don’t mean to digress but I’m dying inside.
    My business is going through a dry spell, my husband is unemployed.
    With a baby and Nigeria’s recession things are tough.
    Can barely afford food supplies
    Living from hand to mouth is beyond depressing.
    I don’t know what to do

• DAME

September 21, 2016 at 10:03 am

If you are in Abuja, send a mail to [email protected]
      I need ushers every now and then and the pay is good. Also could help with internship somewhere.

• shield

September 21, 2016 at 11:09 am

So sorry @busybee. It’s quite a tough time for a lot of people. Can your husband join you in your business? My dad was unemployed too though more educated and exposed and he had to “humble” himself to join my mum’s daycare + nursery otakara school. Now, by God’s mercy, we have 2 schools.
      If you’re fortunate and he decides to join, sit down together and strategise on how to move the business forward. There’s so much info on the internet on how to grow a business. Advertising, locating customers, ensuring top quality, maximising cost to get more profit, having competitive pricing, etc. You need to write things down, prioritise them and start doing them one after the other. E.g clean the shop, paint the shop, rearrange the stock in a more attractive manner, talk to 10 people a day about our business, etc (I have no idea what you do, I just wanted to make a simple example).
      If he doesn’t decide to join you, know ma’am, that you are a superwoman and can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. Look for resourceful people around who can genuinely assist (financially or with practical advice/physical help) and never give up. God will turn things around for you soonest. Amen

• Kc Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:11 pm

What CAN you do?

• Mimee

September 26, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Hi Busybee kindly chat via whatsapp – 07063767478.
      For all in need of alternate income source we can discuss. returns within 30 days guaranteed. Pls i’m a busy executive so may not be able to attend to your calls during business hours. but can respond to chats

11. Azu Happiness

September 21, 2016 at 5:09 am

I just recently started a personal blog.. That’s my own side hustle. How do I get people to read my blog and also I need help on how to customise/design it to a certain standard.

• Kc Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:23 pm

All your answer comes under sourcing for knowledge. You have to sit your ass off for hours on the net, trying to scout for the information you need. Through that process, I learnt how to rank my site and also how to design it to fit my taste.
      Google, like they say, is your friend.

12. Toby Nwazor

September 21, 2016 at 6:16 am

Wonderfully written Kc. Beautiful points. I remember one of my mentors telling me sometime ago, “Toby make sure money doesn’t finish in your pocket as you pursue your vision.”
    That was his way of saying don’t get so excited about your side Hustle that you quit your job (because the side Hustle may not pay immediately).
    Thanks for writing this Kc.

• Kc Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:25 pm

True talk, thanks bro. You’ve been a great help.

13. brizola

September 21, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I am also interested in crepe o. I am looking for direct contact with people bring in containers for fabrics. 07056449722

14. Emeka Agu

September 22, 2016 at 7:41 am

Nice one Brother. Multiple income sources are germane to divine wealth. Thank you so so much for sharing this. I hope it motivate the unemployed, underemployed and gainfully employed to strive and do more. With this kind of mentality, Nigeria will be a better place soonest.

• Kc Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Thanks bro for the compliment. I pray so too.

15. Nk

September 22, 2016 at 9:36 am

I sell beauty products follow on Ig @elixircare. Side hustle is not easy, sometimes you feel like giving up

16. ify

September 22, 2016 at 12:58 pm

@ busybee send a mail to me on [email protected]. I could introduce u to a lucrative side hustle. Have a great day all. Cheers

17. KC Agu

September 22, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Dear, no be beans. It’s so tiring sometimes. It’s as if you’re studying to be a medical student. – no rest at all. How’s the business going for you?

18. princess

September 23, 2016 at 12:54 am

I live and study in ibadan and i wont say no to a side business. Any ideas ? Your replies will be appreciated. @Dame are you sure you don’t need ushers in ibadan 😀 ?

• KC Agu

September 26, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Start with what you’re passionate about. From there, you can easily fish out side business you can start in those aspects.

19. foyin

October 23, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Hi Kc Agu. Am a student and hv been trying to find a business

20. foyin

October 23, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Am a student,having been trying to find a business idea but havent found. I learnt some skills during the holidays but i dont passion for it. I really need ur help
    Thanks