News

Tragic! Man Reportedly Receiving a Call while Driving Runs over Security Guard in Lagos

The deceased, Etim Effiong

The deceased, Etim Effiong

A company driver, Henry Uduze has allegedly killed a 37-year-old security guard, Effiong Etim, at Omole Estate Phase II, Lagos State.

According to PUNCH, a resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the accident happened around 9AM on Monday.

“The company driver was coming out of a bank when he was distracted by the call he was receiving. He crushed Effiong and hit another motorcyclist. The back tyre climbed Effiong’s head, but the second victim survived. The driver wanted to run away, but the security man at the bank held him. The case was reported at the Isheri Police Station,” he said.

Witnesses said the suspect was receiving a telephone call when the incident happened, and the victim gave up the ghost at the Accident and Emergency Centre at Ikeja.

The deceased’s wife, Dorothy said she was called that her husband was involved in an accident, and officers of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and the Police.

She explained that she rushed out and met her husband at the emergency centre.

“His head was bandaged. His private parts were connected to a pipe. He could not open his eyes or talk. He was writhing in pain on the bed. After a brief moment, a nurse sent me out,” she said.

She said that the victim was referred to the Gbagada and Lagos Island general hospitals, but could not be admitted because there was no bed space available.

Dorothy said the family secured a bed space at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, and they were asked to pay N50,000 for the treatment and drugs the victim got at the emergency centre.

“One of the boys of the man that hit my husband said they could only afford N30,000. When I rejected the money, the policeman who accompanied us said if I didn’t take it, they would leave me to bear the burden alone. Since I was helpless, I had to take it and I added the remaining money.

When it was evening, a nurse at the centre said she didn’t want to break the news to me directly, but since I had refused to go home, she had no choice. She said my husband was dead,” she said.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the corpse was deposited in a mortuary, while the victim’s wife was taken to the Isheri Police Station to make her statement.

She said that the company’s lawyer offered N30,000 as payment for the deceased’s mortuary bill, and that her and her children will be compensated ‘based on our worth’.

“My church got a lawyer for us and after the lawyer spoke with them, they promised to give us N250,000. But what will I do with that? All I want is for them to bury my husband and help my children. I want them to give my children scholarships,” she said.

According to Dorothy’s lawyer, Nike Olawepo, no representative from the suspect’s company has come to see the family.

“The suspect hit the victim with his company’s vehicle. All efforts to see the company’s  representative have proved abortive; they seemed not to be bothered at all. A lawyer, who claimed to be representing the company, said the company can only assist in burying the deceased with N250,000 and that after the burial, the company will profile Etim’s family before it could think of what to do about the case.

The deceased, who was from Akwa-Ibom, was the breadwinner of his family of eight and also has aged parents in the village. The family is staying in a single room at Olowora and they are indigent. If this case is not properly managed and investigated, the family of the deceased will suffer double jeopardy,” Olawepo said.

Photo Credit: PUNCH

1. Prince

September 5, 2016 at 11:28 am

What stops him from just parking the car or since he’s still at the bank just finish his call before driving out. What kind of tragedy is this.

• Uberhaute looks

September 5, 2016 at 5:02 pm

First of all, more than 30% of Nigerian drivers are guilty of this nonsense. I call it ‘ayo’… Omo aijoberi to n jepo saya! Before gsm came, people we’re not this crazy but now, even the elite and learned are guilty.
      I don’t pray for anybody to fall sick talk less of accident of this magnitude in jungle like Nigeria; it takes the grace of God what with incompetence, hate(care) giver, lack of equipments etc (living witness)
      This yeye driver should rot in jail and should be made to serve a cruel punishment with his stupid act.

• Uberhaute looks

September 5, 2016 at 5:04 pm

*were

2. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 5, 2016 at 12:02 pm

This is tragic for the deceased’s family. BN, when you wrote “the accident happened around 9AM on Monday”, I thought it was just this morning but reading through the widow’s details of events, it seems like a lot has happened since the death.

I hope her lawyer’s able to progress a lawsuit on time and can sustain a claim for the lost earnings of her husband (if he’s said to have been 37, the family’s lost circa 28years of his remaining working life/earnings before he’d have retired), unexpected costs of his treatment and laying him to rest and has enough of a case left to claim additional damages for the family, considering the company’s neglect following the incident.

Not because it’ll bring their husband and father back but simply for the sake of justice.

• tunmi

September 6, 2016 at 2:21 pm

And for 8 kids and caring for aged parents, that life value worth is in the millions. Oh my goodness, poor guy, poor woman. This is just sad all around

3. Gerry

September 5, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Very sad story. There’s no value for human life in this country and our legal system is f*****, how can they say there is no bed space??? I am so tired of this country. That aside, why do low income earners have so much children? Last time I checked family planning in some centers is free.

4. purplieciousbabe

September 5, 2016 at 12:32 pm

This is just unbelievable..
    I bet you that if it was the daughter or son of the company owner that was deceased, they will milk them dry…
    This is just pure RUDENESS!
    UNFAIR at all cost..
    I hope and pray she is vindicated with the help of supportive lawyers and God. x

5. Mz A

September 5, 2016 at 12:33 pm

This is a call to those women “empowering other women” on social media. Please come and do the needful and fight a good cause for this woman biko.

6. Iris

September 5, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Please what is the name of this company? These days it seems the only way one can elicit basic morality from institutions is to shame them publicly on social media, so if they don’t pay, we will shame. 30000 naira. 250000 naira. Are they mad?

7. Nene

September 5, 2016 at 6:36 pm

So many Nigerians talk while driving. You should not be on your phone, concentrate on the road. Even the cars that have hands free calling. Don’t talk while driving, if you must, park somewhere and talk

8. Someone Naughty

September 6, 2016 at 4:26 am

What really bothered me about this story was how the police handled things. Telling the lady that she better accept the N30,000 or they will leave her. Clearly those ones were not called to serve and protect.

9. Someone Naughty

September 6, 2016 at 4:27 am

What really bothered me about this story was how the police handled things. Telling the lady that she better accept the N30,000 or they will leave her. Clearly those ones were not called to serve and protect!