News

Governor Fayose Stops EFCC’s Attempt to Arrest Fani-Kayode’s Wife in Ekiti

Governor Fayose with Sonia Chikwendu and her Son after stopping the arrest

Governor Fayose with Sonia Chikwendu and her Son after stopping the arrest

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has said that Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti state on Monday in Ado-Ekiti stopped the arrest of Sonia Precious Chikwendu, the wife of former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode after she tried to withdraw money from an account already red-flagged by the Commission.

Chikwendu and her child were reportedly detained by the EFCC.

But the EFCC in a late statement Monday denied detaining any one, while also revealing the role of Governor Fayose in frustrating the arrest.

Wilson Uwujaren, EFCC spokesman said Fayose stormed the bank in Ado-Ekiti with thugs to stop the arrest.

“Contrary to the media spin about the purported arrest of mother and child, a certain Chikwendu Sonia today attempted to withdraw money from an Access Bank account that had been placed on ‘Post No Debit’ Category, following the discovery of illicit cash flows into the account.

She was intercepted by the bank while the Commission was notified but because it was late, the EFCC advised that the suspect be taken to the police station for processing and release on bail.

They were arranging to take the suspect to the police station when Governor Ayo Fayose stormed the bank with thugs and his personal security and forcefully secured the release of the suspect, with claims that the EFCC had no power to detain anybody in his state.

He also vowed to close down the branch of the bank.

The said account, which had a balance of N2,307,712.82 was flagged following investigation into the PDP Joint Trust fund when  the Commission traced N1.1billion to the Zenith Bank account of Fani-Kayode.

It was discovered that the account had two biometric identification numbers, one for Fani-Kayode and the other  (with BVN 2205597283)for  Sonia Chikwendu.

The same BVN is linked to two other accounts in Diamond bank and 15 accounts in Guaranty Trust Bank,” Uwajaren said.

However, Fani-Kayode has reacted to the arrest via his Facebook Page. He said:

This government is sick and cowardly and so are the EFCC. If you have a problem with me face me and leave my family alone.

My wife travelled to Ado Ekiti to see my friend and brother Governor Fayose and his family. They were on their way out of town when they went to Access Bank in Ado Ekiti to get some money. When they got there my 8 month old son Aragorn and wife Precious Chikwendu were illegally detained, brutalised and put under arrest on the orders of the EFCC at a bank in Ado Ekiti today.

She has never had any business with me, she has never been formally invited by the EFCC or asked any questions about her transactions and neither have they written to her on any issue even though they are always sending letters to my house and sending people there.

If Buhari wants to deal with me why doesnt he face me like a man obstead of trying to harm and hurt my 8 month old son and wife.

Had it not been for the intervention of Governor Ayo Fayose they would have been taken them away and subjected them to all manner of harm and indignities simply because she is married to me.

In an attempt to starve and harass me and my family all my accounts and wife’s accounts have been frozen.

Now they are resorting to arresting peoples wives and children for no just cause.

I thank God for Gov. Fayose and the people of Ado Ekiti who stormed the bank and freed my wife from this illegal detention and attempt to kidnap them.

Had it not been for the governor’s intervention and presence, the bank would have been burnt down by the crowd. My family have since left Ekiti state.

This is Buhari’s Nigeria and we will resist his wickedness and tyranny.

We intend to sue the bank and to sue the EFCC for this illegal and wicked action. They have no right to do this. If they want to see my wife all they need to do is to invite her. We have nothing to fear. They do not need to be so primitive and barbaric to people.

1. EC

October 18, 2016 at 6:14 am

This post makes me laugh (minus the baby being detained). Linda’s post said she was ‘rescued’. Why are we so theatrical ?.

The picture too with the way he is holding her wrist.

2. Missappleberry

October 18, 2016 at 6:25 am

Meanwhile BN, in other unrelated news, I think you should at least post some news on the coronation of the new oba of Benin. It’s such a beautiful culture and tradition no matter how fetish or local it might look to some folks. You can check the Facebook page of Omoregie Osakpolor (official photographer of the event) for pics on the coronation. Thank me later

3. Thatgidigirl

October 18, 2016 at 6:44 am

Na wa! I don’t know if this lady has enjoyed her “marriage” to ffk for one day. It’s been one thing after the other…..buhari has turned the hunters in the last government to bushmeat in his regime.

4. chichi

October 18, 2016 at 8:02 am

The way it was handled I agree, not the best but lets face it the intention behind the arrest was probably right. When he was acquiring money in possibly illegal ways, he likely never thought about this day happening, luckily for him he’s well connected to get out of it, would he make this much noise had the same happened to an ordinary person’ wife?
    Buhari may or may not be what the country needs in the long run but he’s definitely doing something. I always knew that for things to get better in Nigeria they would likely get worse first, I hope this is it, because honestly the country couldn’t continue the way it was going. Not every decision has been great of course but something better is coming.

• shior

October 18, 2016 at 9:07 am

chichi God bless you

• Big Apple

October 18, 2016 at 10:32 am

Go and question tyrant Buhari how he got his campaign funding too. Aisha recently confirmed it that so many interest gave her husband money during his campaign and that is why they have hijacked his government. That has also influensed the way he made appointments, that out of 50 people, that her husband tyrant Buhari does not know 49 people. Does that not show you the corruption in tyrant Buhari APC government.

5. yemite

October 18, 2016 at 8:11 am

Yap. Stop anything stop able……let them come after 4years not this time….

6. Adetola

October 18, 2016 at 8:20 am

Good Morning, as a banker I can tell you quite frankly that the actions of the bank and Efcc is wrong. If an account is Flagged, the owner of the account may not know until withdrawal is to be made, that is when he/she will be informed and asked to bring certain documents or given reasons as to why it was flagged. You just don’t call Efcc and arrest!
    Lets ask ourselves, if the account belonged to someone else would she have been arrested?
    why is the Efcc jumping up and down as though they are being used?
    this is a man who has been invited by Efcc and has gone and still they havent said anything.
    well, what do i know.
    ciao

7. Ijs

October 18, 2016 at 8:26 am

Baby girl! If you married this man solely for money, here’s your wakeup call!

8. Lolu

October 18, 2016 at 8:48 am

There is a difference between a banker and a bank worker ,you are definitely a rookie bank worker or possibly an outsourced cashier and you still have a lot to learn on bank’s relationship with statutory/ regulatory government agencies

• nikus

October 18, 2016 at 6:29 pm

gbam!!! exactly my toughts …..not sure what kind of banking adetola practises and what she knows

• ay

October 18, 2016 at 7:08 pm

God bless you for that response cos I am a banker as well and i know that once an account is flagged it is against the law to notify the account holder because you will probably never get them, and by notifying account holder/ signatories you become liable as well. Our rookie banker we just saved ur life never ever try that

9. Cynical

October 18, 2016 at 8:58 am

Is this FFK’s yellow pawpaw Precious ???? I could have sworn it was someone else.

10. adelegirl

October 18, 2016 at 9:02 am

Never thought I’d say this but I am with FFK and Fayose on this! Did EFCC previously question or arrest her for her connection to Fayose? Was she notified that her bank accounts were also affected by the PND order? What utter nonsense. I am sad that the poor baby had to go through what must have been a stressful experience. EFCC, you either request for an order of court to freeze her accounts (hoping you have probable cause) or you leave her to operate her account without harassment.

• mgtss.blogspot.com

October 18, 2016 at 10:13 am

Me too, I am totally with FFK on this one. It is obvious that the EFCC intended to detain the poor girl and her baby – “but because it was late, the EFCC advised that the suspect be taken to the police station for processing and release on bail” What does this even mean? Why did they wait till it got late, last i checked Access closes at 4pm. And where would they have detained her? and why does she need bail???
      I am all for fighting corruption but i will never support tyranny as a means!
      And for those having the heart to say she married for money, so what? What did you marry for? Is that the biggest crime possible? Does she deserve to be harassed and detained (with her baby) because she married for money? Let us use our brains ans our consciences when we type even though we are anonymous please

11. EbonyFre

October 18, 2016 at 9:18 am

So FFK got married and has a child? 😮
    Where have I been?

• You are safe

October 18, 2016 at 11:05 am

You have been protecting yourself since from all sort of news (good, bad and ugly).

• EbonyFre

October 18, 2016 at 4:44 pm

With all that is going on in Nigeria and the world at large, there are more important topics I’m struggling to catch up with, amidst the demands of my own real life, and FFK and his bedroom antics are not top on my list :p

12. TEE

October 18, 2016 at 12:21 pm

The ignorance of some of you is amazing and a little bit embarrassing,ask questions ,research ,above all read between the lines .

Someone didn’t use an account for a long time ,the account had been flagged ,she knew this and posted 200k into it .she then came to Ekiti and then went to the bank to withdraw money with her baby and conveniently gets the governor to personally come to pick her up….Fayose is a crude tout ,FFK is a sophisticated asshole imagine the combination and you believe they didn’t set this up after the incident with the judges ….I would not be surprised if the call from the bank was a setup by Fayose himself .

So dear Nigerians,the joke is on you,thanks for being a great sport .

• sharon

October 18, 2016 at 1:11 pm

What nonsense are you saying? Not everything is a conspiracy theory

13. Citisfinest

October 18, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Lol @ banker and bank worker. Guy who said my boy is a rookie should check himself. have u heard the term ‘tipping off’ ? Shows how primitive banking is in Nigeria, the account is frozen and instantly you call the authorities? Could they not have made a SAR report (Suspicious Activity Report) and then ask the customer to see a relationship manager? No common sense at all, she even had a baby and they called EFCC? Did she look suspicious or fraudulent?

Banking in naija has a long way to go, banker and bank worker??? Really? Check yourself bro before u open your mouth. After all, half the people in these banks studied Yoruba, Philosophy, French, Sociology, etc n college with little rudiments in the basis of Financial Framework and then have the audacity to say I am a banker. huuuh I am so offended

14. rain

October 18, 2016 at 1:36 pm

am with FFK on this . This is tyranny and dictatorship……..what has his wife and the lil baby done to warrant these behavior from EFCC. well, DSS and EFCC have been behaving like rascals recently

15. Tj

October 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Did is just a joke.. So the governor is so jobless that he’s able to respond to this lady in distress so quickly and yet when constituents need his ear you are made to wait hours if ever u get a meeting. Nigerians are sad… If buhari did nothing we complain if he does something we complain… We are just pathetic at times I swear. This lady husband says “This was an account that has 200,000 naira in it and that has never had more than 500,000.

She has operated it since 2005 and she stopped using it in 2013. The account has no connection with me and I did not know it existed till today.” Then says he never even knew about the acct.. It’s kind of strange you post money on one state to go withdraw in another state.. It’s funny how Fayose scrambled quickly to the bank or did he happen to just be outside? How does one acct have to bvns “allegedly “? Those questions don’t matter all people here are asking is who looks like a criminal. Like criminals have looks

16. ay

October 18, 2016 at 7:17 pm

please once an account is flagged Mr Banker I beg you to to notify account holder ooo and lets see what happens to u. have u ever visiter EFCC or SFU? from your comment i honestly doubt it