Scoop

“I have come to own and accept the real me” – Omawumi says to Body Shamers

We love how celebrities, especially female celebrities are standing up to body shamers.

A couple of weeks ago new mum Lami Phillips opened up on how she just wants to hug all women and encourage them to travel their own journey at their own pace and today singer Omawumi has a message for people that keep telling her that she is “fat”.

Omawumi

She posted a new photo on Instagram and captioned:

This is my b**ch resting face… Which can also mean ‘honesty, I can’t be bothered’. I have come to own and accept the real me, when/if I have to change my body, I may do it. So till then this my response to ‘Omawumi is fat’. So I’ve added a few kilos, Omawumi is beautiful Jare!!! #wonderwoman #omawonder #ownit #timeless

Photo Credit: Instagram – @omawonder

1. Bella

October 13, 2016 at 11:43 am

Okay I want to know whom she is convincing with this? Herself or the trolls out there? matter of fact, i am personally against giving trolls any space or the time of day, they are just way too many of them to handle, and the hours of the day we all possess is not enough for me, talk less of trolls. Madam, you are who you are and love yourself for it, good! let them say what they will, half the time we have come to realize that people who are bullies or trolls suffer from lack of love from their parents or self esteem. Don’t mind then jor and stop given them a platform. Go on with your bad self and lets teach our children HOW to ignore!

• Anon

October 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm

So why did you ask whom she’s trying to convince??

• Hmmm....

October 14, 2016 at 3:30 am

Its a combination of both. Truth be told when you meet Omawumi in the flesh, the package is rather disappointing. Stylists and pr girls alike are constantly lamenting about how rough she is and how unbothered she is by her roughness, but in the name of I’m keeping it real, this girl will justify not making an effort to polish up. Peeps that come in to contact with her will advise her to go to the gym and tone up, firm up her body being a celebrity, its not about losing weight. You look good in a dress when you tone up. Always hiding inside baggy clothes. They will ask her to work on her skin routine just so she has a bit of an edge instead of slapping on make up to hide certain sins that are easily cured with daily cleansing, and to do her hair instead of hiding the roughness under a wig. And this has been before the kids so I can’t imagine the mess she is in now she’s had two kids and less time for herself. Just our two cents from behind the scenes. Hope you publish…censoring Bella.

• Hmmm....

October 14, 2016 at 3:45 am

You can accept the real you but if there are areas that need improvement. work on yourself and improve. If you’re slightly overweight and a little exercise is all you need, then go to the gym and stop being slobbish. If you’re eating the wrong foods and could make healthier choices, make an effort to be healthier. Truth is a llittle work, a little effort goes a long way.

2. Hannah

October 13, 2016 at 11:50 am

That´s it girl. Love yourself. That´s all that really matters!

• Busarni

October 13, 2016 at 11:54 am

@Hannah; Love yourself while you complicate your health? Let her loose some few pounds ; nobody is telling her to starve. If she wasn’t bothered no point voicing it out.

• Hmm

October 13, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Why are you (busarni) so…? Is it your body? Is it in your place to publicly tell someone you don’t know what to do with their body? You always make comments that are worrying. I suggest you start reading more outside of your celebrity tabloids and gist.

• Chu

October 13, 2016 at 12:16 pm

She doesn’t look like she her size is unhealthy,, adding a few pounds maketh not a sick person. There are skinny people that are not healthy. Let’s stop body shaming,

• ...

October 13, 2016 at 4:47 pm

How do you know her health is in jeopardy? Fake as BN teacher abi doctor. Face your health, weight and senses and make Omawumi face her own.

3. Prince

October 13, 2016 at 11:51 am

Omawunmi, you were not like this before nah. you can still work on it.

• NIRA

October 13, 2016 at 12:42 pm

She also didn’t have two babies before. Women loose fat differently. Let her be! I bet that it’s the fat people that call her ‘fat’.

4. Cee

October 13, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Yes tell them. I don’t know what value it adds to their lives commenting on another man’s weight. Like seriously your hair will no grow longer, your tiny jt will not enlarge. Oversabi, how about u focus on the imperfections in yourselves. This is the only way to help yourself and society.

5. Beauty is not a western/European concept.

October 13, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Is she fatter, or rather, bigger (because she’s not fat there) than in this photo here? Or, than in the so-called interview (another attempt at shaming for no just cause and just as baseless) where she walked out or, in the other interview after that one shown here on BN tv which was professionally done with no hidden smear agenda and she didn’t walk out? Is she bigger than in this photo here or than she was in those two tv appearances because in all these three instances, she is NOT fat. Because of the accepted perceptions of beauty, she may choose to go into the gym and sculpt her body, and lose weight on her midriff and hips but as far as I’m concerned, even what she should lose there is not excessive. I do not like seeing overweight or obese people, primarily and most especially for reasons of health. Belly fat is apparently, usually unhealthy fat which is the primary and most important reason, people should lose it if they have it. The other reason I put forward is personal. I do not like seeing non-flat stomachs .and tummys in skin-tight or fitted clothing (or even big bellies under loose shirts on men). Omawumi dresses well to suit her body shape. Waje, another beautiful lady, also not thin and slender, is also not fat in my opinion but should lose some belly fat especially as she likes to wear fitted and body-hugging clothing sometimes. It doesn’t give a flattering silhouette and distracts from her performances and great singing often for me.

Omawumi, you needn’t have bothered to answer the trolls.

6. serendipity

October 13, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I feel so bad for celebrities, I’d never want to be one and if I can help it , i would not marry one. Everyone struggles with insecurities about their bodies, please let’s treat each other with love. Social media gives people microphones into peoples lives where they think they can say anything to u, guard your heart!

7. Tosin

October 13, 2016 at 5:17 pm

The woman is queen. And king. At the same time. Maybe people are jealous.

8. Gem

October 13, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Oh well…Visceral fat? No. Buh healthy women have bellies. Your preference for flat abs is hence; personal. Because if you are human, and you are a woman, there gotta be some belly pooch down there.
    Can we stop defining feminine beauty to mean a boyish build with boobs?…Maybe it’s time to know that a lil belly pooch protects a woman’s reproductive organs.
    Omawumi is a lovely woman and she looks lovely too.

9. cutewine

October 13, 2016 at 8:52 pm

@Gem, your comment is gold. Thumbs up Gem

10. Marlvina

October 14, 2016 at 12:18 am

Bet what’s wrong with her body? She aint obese. kini big deal?

11. Hannah

October 14, 2016 at 11:15 am

Busarni, Please mind your own business. Its her body and from the look of things, she doesn’t look fat at all. She is confident in her skin.