News

“If I had $2m I would have abandoned this horrible profession” – Justice Liman After His House was Reportedly Raided By DSS

BellaNaija.com

Justice Muhammad Liman

Justice Muhammad Liman

Honourable Justice Muhammad Liman, has reacted to reports that his house was raided by officers of the Department of State Services (DSS) over alleged corruption.

The DSS, following the massive clampdown on judges suspected to be involved in corrupt practices, said that about $2 million was stashed in the house of a judge but a governor prevented them from gaining entrance into the house.

Liman, in a statement published on The Nigerian Lawyer, said:

I believe most of the members heard or read about the reported raid in Port Harcourt and my name has been mentioned as the judge in whose house $2 million was stashed. Since yesterday this story has been on the headlines and captions on most social media platforms. The truth is that all that you’ve read is more of misinformation and disinformation; substantially untrue account.

The truth is that we live as neighbors to the DSS, their address is 35 and mine is 33. That night the DSS came to house 34 where they wanted to search but they were refused entry and later Governor Wike was said to have come and engaged the security outfit in a near physical struggle, as the report suggested.

I wouldn’t have known of the incidence if my neighbor in house 34 had not called me to inform me of the presence of strange people at her gate. All this while the melee lasted to around 4AM, I was in my house monitoring the events, and remained indoors until later in the day when I felt it was no longer safe for me to continue to remain.

However I feel distressed that the DSS indirectly claimed they have evidence I stashed $2m, and when contacted I employed thugs and with Governor Wike to obstruct them from carrying out the search and that I later transferred the money to an unknown place. I do not think I need to refute this allegation because it would only make sense if they had actually targeted my house for the search.

The truth is that due to their incompetence they bungled the operation and are desperately searching for alibi to save their heads. Unfortunately I have found myself in the middle of a dirty politics between Wike and the Federal Government and perhaps my notoriety for delivering controversial judgements; because the cases are also controversial and the stakes probably very high.

I’m not asking anybody to believe or disbelieve whether I stashed $2m, an amount that is equivalent to about N1b. Perhaps you might think the DSS probably exaggerated the amount, but all these would have been relevant considerations if they had actually searched my house. If I had $2m or even a quarter of it I would have abandoned this horrible profession that has lost its dignity. In fact I have already lost interest in it and have made up my mind to say bye bye to it. I believe there is a life beyond every other thing.

Photo Credit: Federal High Court

1. chique

October 10, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I wish wike had defended that lawyer that was brutally murdered a few months ago in portharcourt. I wish wine can defend the ordinary citizen if Rivers state like he did this man. I wish wine would fight for citizens of rivers state with same vigour…. I wish.. I wish . i wish….

• fleur

October 11, 2016 at 2:24 am

Yeah Liman. Maybe you your case is one of staying in the profession so that you can count on more $2million pay days?

2. sigh

October 10, 2016 at 1:56 pm

It is unethical to use such words to qualify your profession.

• slice

October 10, 2016 at 2:38 pm

It is not

3. Iris

October 10, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Lol
    This guy is pissed o. He has called it a horrible profession ? Abeg I feel you. I’m suffering too.

4. Spunky

October 10, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Huh? Horrible profession? Lol

5. Flexe

October 10, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Lol. The photo and the headline go so well.
    Sir, we can feel your pain, your photo says it all.

• Anon

October 10, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Major laughter!

• slice

October 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm

DSS went to the wrong house lol

• Author Unknown

October 10, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Lol..

6. Nene

October 10, 2016 at 2:29 pm

What a dumb statement. So he is in the profession solely for the money. You are a big thief and a liar. His lawyer should advice him to stop exposing himself

• Luu

October 10, 2016 at 3:09 pm

The statement is not dumb! The man is just not feeling the profession, moreover numerous Nigerians are practicing professions they do not enjoy just to put food on the table

• Anon

October 10, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Shut up jare. Hiss.

• Grapes

October 11, 2016 at 4:34 pm

You shut your wide mouth up!

• Grapes

October 11, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Sorry Anon. the reply was meant for Luu.

7. Funms

October 10, 2016 at 3:21 pm

The Legal profession is horrible but you stayed to become Justice?… Oga?

Now that you have chopped belle full and senseless and unchecked chopping is on the decline, you are crying. Abeg leave story! We the people are tired of you all!

8. Sass

October 10, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I am a lawyer and it is indeed the worse profession to practice in Nigeria,

Crap salary
    Crap work enviroment
    Crap bosses
    They hardly ever send one on training

What the presidency did is dangerous. Any Nigerian whether a PDP or APC supporter that supports this doesn’t know the import of it.

And yes any lawyer that is sane and has even 1 million dollars would quit the profession.

• Author Unknown

October 10, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Indeed the “worse” profession? A lawyer you say, Sass? The profession isn’t the problem. The problem is the Nigerian system which has no respect for the rule of law, including the judiciary itself. Doctors have the same complaints, if not worse. It is also disappointing that you’re echoing Liman’s comment that if he had $2m or even a quarter of it, he would have abandoned the profession. Well, the whole idea of the raid is that he profited from improper use of his position as a judge. That abuse of the profession you hate so much enabled you make $2m. His comment that he would have left the profession if had $2m thus makes no sense. I wonder how someone who can’t make a sensible defence to an allegation could have been judging matters all this time. Our legal system is in a bigger mess than I thought.

• sass

October 10, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Don’t be talking nonsense there. Have you ever sat down to do the Maths on the gazillion of dollars this administration has reportedly recovered? Yet Nigeria is still in recession. Have you seen a kobo of the money?

Let me breakdown the reason for the arrests to you

1. Justice Onnoghene is meant to be the next CJN of Nigeria but as he is not from the North they want him done away with.

2. The others have recently given judgments not favourable to APC.

The same judiciary that helped Buhari get to power when PDP was intimidating him with WAEC result debacle is the same judiciary he is intimidating.

2019 approacheth!!

9. yemite

October 10, 2016 at 3:25 pm

APC game over!! Lolzz I laugh when I see many Nigerian doesn’t understand politics. Lagos state should be a first state were DSS should start with, that is where SAN and judges kill Nigeria constitution.

10. Prince

October 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm

What is wrong with Buhari. Can someone call him to order and let him know this is not 1983-5

11. #MadeInNaija

October 10, 2016 at 4:16 pm

‘”this horrible profession that has lost its dignity”…… Pls what can we make out of it… It means that our Lawyers (including the Judges and NJC) do not longer uphold the law/truth and neck deep in corruption. The truth be told, all the institutions (Government, religious orgnaizations/NGOs , NBA etc) in Nigeria have been affected by corruption. I do not envy PMB one bit because this fight against corruption is like a fighting a disease without any known cure. We need to spare our Children from this menace.

12. Marlvina

October 10, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire! They did not go to the wrong house, and from the video and pictures we saw, They were right in front of your gate sir! Also, If you claim you’re a neighbor to the DSS, how won’t they know your address? No smoke without fire! You got skeletons in your closet. No where to hide now.

• Somebody

October 11, 2016 at 8:58 am

They actually went to the wrong house. I know this personally. Do you realize they also went to the wrong house on 2 instances in the Abuja raid? Not holding brief for anyone but let’s learn how to be truthful.

13. Oluchi

October 10, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Haba Nigerians! Have we all taken leave of our senses? This whole saga requires thorough thinking before over reacting…I have resolved never to have High Blood Pressure on account of what I hear or read in Nigeria….Having corrupt Judges, Government Officials etc is no news in Nigeria…Who really is a saint from A-Z in this country?

14. Gbemi

October 10, 2016 at 5:52 pm

How can you be living beside dss and they would still miss your address … also the profession is rubbish, it is bad .. how did all the Rich judges get money ? .. was it not on Bella naija that Ajibola’s daughter married another person’s son in this same law profession …show me any poor Supreme Court judge

15. Gbemi

October 10, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Missed

16. Slumshady

October 10, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Thank you Unknown Author- for a judge he came up with a poor defence. If he truly believes that there was some form of misinformation, he should use the law to defend himself. SUE for DEFAMATION, LIBEL or SLANDER, or anything (he should know the law sha). This his lawyer’s statement doesn’t convey a great message about the situation.

• Truthteller

October 11, 2016 at 9:01 am

Judges are not allowed to make public statements directly or indirectly. He posted that on a private forum and someone leaked it to the press. If people are making it difficult for you to do the job you love, of course you won’t enjoy it anymore which I think is the point he was trying to make.

17. nnenne

October 10, 2016 at 11:07 pm

My dear Bella Naijarians,
    Corrupted judges were caught by DSS last weekend and saint Obasanjo went to the state house to preside over their case.
    Nigeria is a big joke.

18. yemite

October 11, 2016 at 8:14 am

For people who doesn’t understand what’s going on in this present administration pls go back @Sass comment

• person

October 11, 2016 at 9:36 am

Kai.! Stop eeet! This is the second time you are saying: “people who doesn’t.” People is a plural noun, which is why don’t should be used instead of doesn’t.
      Oya repeat after me: People who dont. People who dont. People who dont. who dont. who dont.

#yesihavetimethismorning