News

We Stayed Without Food for One Month and 10 Days in the Bush – Released Chibok Girls

pic.Parent And 21 Freed Adopected Chibok Girls Dancing During TheThanks Giving Service in Abuja on sunday  (16/10/16). 7734/16/16/2016/ OTU ALBERT/NAN

Parents and 21 Freed Chibok Girls Dancing During The ThanksGiving Service in Abuja on sunday (16/10/16).
7734/16/16/2016/ OTU ALBERT/NAN

The 21 freed Chibok Girls said on Sunday in Abuja that for “one month and 10 days’’ of their abduction by the Boko Haram insurgents they stayed without food in the bush.

Gloria Dame, one of the girls, narrated this while giving testimony on behalf of her colleaques at a thanksgiving service organised for them at a DSS health facility in Abuja.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, and Minister of Women Affairs, Hajiya Jummai Alhassan, attended the service.

The girl, who spoke in Hausa language, said that their survival in captivity was an act of God.

“I did not know that a day like this will come that we will be dancing and giving thanks to God among people.

For one month and 10 days we stayed without food. I narrowly escaped bomb blast in the forest.

We are praying to God to touch the heart of Boko Haram to repent and we are calling on Nigerians to pray and fast for the release of our remaining ones in captivity,’’ she said.

While the service was going on, the parents of the freed girls arrived the venue and were reunited with their loved ones after over two years of their abduction.

Pic.18.Parent Reunion with the 21 Freed Adopected Chibok Girls  During TheThanks Giving Service in Abuja on sunday  (16/10/16). 7735/16/16/2016/ OTU ALBERT/NAN

Parents Reunion with the 21 Freed Chibok Girls During The Thanks Giving Service in Abuja on sunday (16/10/16).
7735/16/16/2016/ OTU ALBERT/NAN

With the arrival of the parents the environment was charged with emotion and tears of joy.

The parents took turns to address the congregation and thanked President Muhammadu Buhari and all Nigerians for their efforts and prayers towards the rescue of their daughters.

The Chairman of Chibok Local Government Council, Yaga Yarakawa, said the release of the girls was “historic’’ and the Chibok community at home and in the Diaspora were happy about the development.

Yarakawa said contrary to views of some Nigerians, the 21 freed girls were the actual Chibok Secondary School girls kidnapped by Boko Haram.

“Before their abduction, I was involved in supervising their feeding which was organised by the Borno State Secondary Schools Feeding System. So I know them very well.

These are the real girls and you can see when their parents came, you see their joy, it manifest naturally.

This is enough to tell you that it is a reality and anybody who say different things or doubting, may be the person has a different agenda altogether,’’ he said.

Yarakawa appealed to the government to put all necessary machinery in place to ensure the release of the other girls.

Speaking in same vein, Yakubu Nkeki, the Chairman of Abducted Chibok Girls’ Parents Association, thanked the President for the release of the girls.

He said from the physical looks of the girls it was obvious that they were not radicalised as claimed by some people.

He also debunked the claim that many of the girls were pregnant.

1. Ima

October 16, 2016 at 9:05 pm

This people should fear God and lie softly na. How would you stay in the forest for one month and 10 days without food eh? Which forest una dey sef that our Government can’t find the rest of you? So all 21 of you escaped and made it out alive? Then if you are saying you escaped, you were not freed

• EE

October 16, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Never heard of people fasting for 40?

“I narrowly escaped bomb blast in the forest.”

Bomb, not Boko Haram.

“we are calling on Nigerians to pray and fast for the release of our remaining ones in captivity,’’ ”

Implying they were released. You don’t have to sympathize (I don’t, its too distant for me for form an emotional connection), but you can decent and try to empathize.

• Ima

October 16, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Whatever mehn. Btw you didn’t need to respond but since you did. ………..nothing mehn, nothing is coming to my head except “whatever mehn” lol

• FBB

October 17, 2016 at 11:09 am

I generally don’t read comments on any blog or post but I come to Bella Naija with the assumption that it’s highly intelligent people that are here, I’ll be able to see sensible counter arguments, or reasonable analysis…. but alas ?

May your family or friend ever encounter same. Amen.

2. mercy okosun

October 16, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Is dat all d hv 2say as their experience for two yrs in d forest??? #longhiss#

• Not cool

October 16, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Why what horror story are you expecting them to narrate? Isn’t it enough that some of them are finally free from captivity? You can clearly see there have been children born and some have husbands. So you want them to narrate stories of rape, intimidation and sexual abuse? I mean seriously, have we so lost our sense of humanity that we must constantly look to others lives for entertainment? Lets be thankful they are alive and pray no such horror befalls the rest of us or our families.

3. Mrs chidukane

October 16, 2016 at 11:12 pm

I guess they should have written a book on their experiences or shared selfies they took while in captivity. I’m glad they’re home. I pray others come home alive and well too.

4. October 16, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Uncontrollable tears falls down my face as I watch the reunion of the 21 Chibok Girls with their families, and to think some people said thier kidnap was a Scam.
    What i saw, the joy and tears from them, it’s not some thing you FAKE.
    Shame on all those who tried to make the kidnap of these Girls a Joke.
    you can’t rely on what social media informs you people. just an EXTART from an interview . A Fraction of News and people become misinformed and comment things that they do not know and are not sure of. This is Bad.

5. Proverbs31Woman

October 17, 2016 at 12:33 am

It is well.

6. tunmi

October 17, 2016 at 12:36 am

Poor girls

7. yemite

October 17, 2016 at 7:51 am

Stage film. Haabaa. Anyway I don’t need to rush soldier go soldier come, when another party regain the power wna secrete go open to us. Aaaaaapppppccccccc lie. useless people with arranging with US gov. I will never believe wna.

8. Serene

October 17, 2016 at 9:24 am

I’m not doubting the story, and I am pleased. I am praying for the release of the other children. But, the analyst in me wonders…who was counting the days of hunger strike? After a month and 10 days, it means they were taken care of fully. The testimony and the statement Chairman of Abducted Chibok Girls’ Parents Association fills me with unease, ‘He said from the physical looks of the girls it was obvious that they were not radicalised as claimed by some people’.
    Hmmm….

9. Prince

October 17, 2016 at 11:50 am

I pray God bring back the remaining girls safely. Those of you talking trash. May your child be taken away from you for 2years.

• tunmi

October 17, 2016 at 4:22 pm

not the child, just them themselves.

10. CUTTRED MEATLOAF!!

October 18, 2016 at 1:26 am

This is certainly the biggest LIE from the pit of hell,certainly blasphemous…..40 days and night….those idiots are playing CHRIST aint it?,even with dry fast whether on the hill or mountain you sure need to be in the right frame of mind…Not in Sambisa forest where a good number of them came back with pregnancy..WTF..This is damage control at its worst……smh!!!!!!!!