Scoop

“You are a trendsetter, an online entrepreneur and a formidable force” – Freeze writes an Open Letter to Toke Makinwa

Toke-Makinwa-FreezeFollowing her recent viral vlog addressing people in their 20s, on-air personality Daddy Freeze has written an open letter to Toke Makinwa encouraging her to keep being a trendsetter.

He wrote that:

Dear Toke,

I have known you longer than most people are aware off, I’ll put it at 15 years at least. You were recording a radio drama series at Cool FM, in 2001, when I joined, and I watched you grow, powered by hard work, and fueled by the passion and drive that only a strong woman can possess. I met Maje who I also believe is a wonderful guy, through you, and although you guys didn’t work out, the strength to forge ahead has not left either of you. Toke, as far as I am concerned, you are one of Nigeria’s foremost female broadcasters ( I hate the acronym OAP with a passion). You are a trendsetter, an online entrepreneur, and a formidable force, pioneering the paradigm shift, leading to the emergence of a new order in Nigerian online entertainment, this, however, doesn’t come without consequence.

I watched your vlog, and I understand that you were trying to express thoughts, that many people nurse in the depths of their minds, hidden far away from public scrutiny. You, on the other hand, do not enjoy that immunity, being a successful public figure. We Nigerians, are extremely judgmental and love to seek fuel for jungle justice, which has one way or the other, migrated into our social media scene, where online courts are quickly formed, justice is speedily given and executions are promptly carried out, without any mercy whatsoever.

Most people do not have the cognitive depth to assimilate the message you were trying to pass across and have employed their fertile imagination to fuel it into becoming what it has evolved into.God bless and keep you dear! ~FRZ

God bless and keep you dear! ~FRZ

1. Medula

October 12, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Me love Toke scatter! (am not a Lesbi o). However, i will go get a drum of zobo to read the outcome of this letter… makachukwu!

2. Dee

October 12, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Honestly, I enjoined that video. The girl was only saying “have fun” albeit jokingly. It was a fun video for petes sake! And anyone wo took it damn too serious shouldn’t even be on the internet!
    It’s not that deep na.

3. Dee

October 12, 2016 at 12:57 pm

“Most people do not have the cognitive depth to assimilate the message you were trying to pass across and have employed their fertile imagination to fuel it into becoming what it has evolved into”… Freeze

Exactly!

• Mama

October 12, 2016 at 2:01 pm

It works both ways. If most people do not have the cognitive depth to understand Toke’s message and are taking it the wrong way as he puts it then it is also safe to say that some of the people in their 20’s for which the message meant are also likely to misunderstand the message and take it very literal. Whichever way, if she is misunderstood then there’s something wrong with her delivery. Toke should learn to choose her words carefully (if indeed that wasn’t what she meant). Their are many naive young people out there who would take her message for the gospel. While it isn’t any of my business what people decide to do with their lives, encouraging one night stands or “kissing a stranger” in obodo oyibo where most diseases have been controlled and drugs are readily available is not the same as in Nigeria where malaria and polio is still rampant and still kills not to talk of incurable STI’s .

4. kenya

October 12, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Uncle Freeze! Uncle Froze, Uncle defroster! continue. why did you bring Maje inside this matter now? yeye

• BB

October 12, 2016 at 7:47 pm

said the same…the guy always over the top. wetin concern Maje.

5. Darius

October 12, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Toke Makinwa’s spin doctor.

• californiabawlar

October 13, 2016 at 12:44 am

If you’re Yoruba, you’ll have learned this phrase in the Alawiye textbook.

Obo n gbobo g’ope.

That’s all I see here. Like wrapper, like scarf.

6. Prince

October 12, 2016 at 1:03 pm

One man’s oporoko, another one’s poison. Freeze just want to hype Toke before she go drink otapiapia.
    Trendsetter kwa. No wahala. she’s setting the trend for those that cares

7. Marlvina

October 12, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Oya marry her na. What are you waiting for? So you both can raise your kids in the streets. One night stands wld be their daily homework. Yeye!

8. Stephanie

October 12, 2016 at 2:13 pm

No new drama for freeze write about he’s had to formulate his own.

9. Abuja Bored Girl

October 12, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I love Toke Makinwa, however i disagree with most of the opinions she shared on that vlog. Having series of one night stand and kissing strangers is not something you should be advising people to do. I still love you anyway.

10. Mahka

October 12, 2016 at 2:28 pm

That video was released weeks ago, why its making waves now, I cant understand…I totally got her light-hearted points ,why cant people get the sarcasm
    Daddy freeze coming to do damage control/ seeking face trying to exploit this unnecessary situation.
    Toke how are u? are u chilling chilling or kul kul….listened to your show today for the ist time.

11. Me

October 12, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Stupid comments from two old people mr deep freezer and toke the untrained mouth .

12. Victor Adegoke

October 12, 2016 at 3:05 pm

She( Toke) is a talent and I pray she keeps the flag playing.

13. Nahum

October 12, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Why are we so hypocritical in this country? How many young people engage in one night stands and kissing a strangers? Most young people I have met!!! If you ever have the displeasure of listening to young girls talk about cute guys from rich homes, you will find that most of them will jump on any man that has money. Where do you think these stories come from? Our youth are sexually active and burying our heads in the sand is not going to help. We just need to have frank conversations with them about protection. This sanctimonious attitude we Nigerians have is no longer fooling anybody, so please stop it!! Married men are cheating like sex is running out of style with young girls, young boys have sex with different girls several times a day. We need to stop the pretense and have these conversations so we can guide them. Toke continue your good work jor, nothing do you.

• Bimbo

October 12, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Women simply want to have one-night stands in secret without anybody talking about it. Toke now came to blast the whole thing open !

• Anonymous on this

October 12, 2016 at 5:30 pm

You know the difference between an American politician and a Nigerian one?

The first is corrupt but he knows he lives in a society where corruption is frowned upon. So he does it in secret. He covers his tracks and makes sure no one can pin it back on him. Everything he’s doing he’s hiding because deep down he is ashamed of it.

Now to our dear Nigerian politicians. Well corruption is not frowned upon, hence whats the point of doing it in secret, He doesn’t even bother to cover his tracks well as he knows he can easily bribe his way out of the situation and most importantly, he has no shame.

You see, that :shame” part is the most important. It is the reason why a sinner will walk into the church on his own looking for salvation. Because after everything has been said and done, he is ashamed. Your conscience is a very tricky guy. You can lie to the whole world but you can never trick your conscience.

Now lemme break down what you suggested above and relate it to the epistle i just wrote.

“““`”If you ever have the displeasure of listening to young girls talk about cute guys from rich homes, you will find that most of them will jump on any man that has money. Where do you think these stories come from?”“““““““““““
      You basically admitted that sexual immorality exists in our society on a large scale. I can also tell you that corruption exists in the American government on a large scale just like in Nigeria here.

“““““““`”Our youth are sexually active and burying our heads in the sand is not going to help. We just need to have frank conversations with them about protection.”““““““““““““““`
      You see, the problem here is that you’re creating a society where sexual immorality will thrive, simply because those youths would not be ashamed anymore- to them it will just be another normal activity.

Now back to my analogy. The difference between a Nigerian government and an American one is not the lack of corruption, but the way the society perceives it. If a congress man in america buys a Ferrari best believe the people are going to call for his head which will force the higher ups to dispose of him. Here in Nigeria, our senators will not only buy Ferrari-es and Jets, they will even buy for their wives and children to display it on Instagram for everyone to see.

You see, this unshameful display of vices is what leads to a moral decadent society.

Its one thing to do something bad and be ashamed about it. Its another to do it and be singing it to every one and advising other people to follow suit.

• Nene

October 12, 2016 at 5:37 pm

You need to change your crowd. Not everyone does the things you’re saying.

14. Vee

October 12, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Oh please Mr. Freeze, spare us. Setting what trends? For who? I disagree with the views Toke shared in her sage counsel to 20’somethings. I am currently 23 and have no interest in doing any of the things she recommended. Not because I am boring or an old spirit, but because I have tasted some of those things and find them all vain and worthless. Here Toke is using the medium that “God gave her” to encourage young people to live frivolous lifestyles, and stack up on them before they hit 25. Has she not read in her Bible where it says “You who are young, be happy while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment” (Ecc. 11:9)? Or “Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.” (1 Tim 4:12). Or she’s only a Christian when her online presence booms? I catch your drift Toke but admonish you to not to discourage young people from choosing to live responsibly from an early age. I wonder what would have happened to Joseph in the Bible if he decided to catch fun with his brothers while young and keep his “destiny stuff” until later, or if David chose to sit at home and chase girls instead of going out to fight Goliath. I can confidently go all Bible on you since you claim your faith so vehemently. Otherwise, you need look no further today than the Mark Zuckerbergs and Malala Yousafzais who are living right from/in their youth. Not saying we can all be like them, but we can at least strive to be our best.

15. Hey

October 12, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Has Toke seen Amy Schumer’s Trainwreck? “Monogamy isn’t realistic” is what the dad told his two young children under ten. The child that took the advice seriously had lots of one night stands, alcohol and drugs….trainwreck.

My fellow Naijarians….awon copy copy. This is a Hollywood movie teaching us that not raising your child well or giving them the right advice can mess them up. E ma copy lo o.

16. ooppyy

October 12, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Toke yes its good to give young people advice but I wish to let you know that your dress sense does not really portray a good image of you your body exposure is nothing to write home about you need to change however still gat nuttn but love for you

17. Cleo

October 12, 2016 at 4:20 pm

To you Freeze, I hope that Toke sets the trend for your daughter.

18. Baby gurl

October 12, 2016 at 4:20 pm

“Most people do not have the cognitive depth to assimilate the message you were trying to pass across and have employed their fertile imagination to fuel it into becoming what it has evolved into”.
    So I was okay with his baseless rant as per usual with this yellow man until I got to this flimsy conclusion. You are a very ugly man Mr Freeze. I don’t care about your looks I’m talking about your personality. Very ugly and smelly. Please go and look up the meaning of cognitive depth because clearly you are confused about that, the same way dear auntie Toke used “who you epp” without direction in the now viral video. You actually lack that cognitive depth you are talking about. Shallow things going on in your brain. I concluded a couple of years ago that age indeed does not equal maturity. I keep getting reminded of that fact every single day! If I am to thoroughly reply to this man it would have to be an essay. I have so many things to say to you both. Honestly I don’t know how people reason. There is more to life that meets the eye. Wake up and see the signs. Pray for wisdom and if you ain’t religious, work towards it. Read the writings of the wise. Learn from the foolish too. Chai.

• CONGLOMERATE

October 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

You are a miserable soul, I’ve had the displeasure of seeing few of your comments, you are always angry, get down from your high pedestal, nobody gives a sh*t, you are a nobody in life, to most of us on here, because nobody knows what your life is behind your gadget. Life must be tough on your end.

19. MurderSheWrote

October 12, 2016 at 4:36 pm

lol d one dat baffles me is toke posting gospel every minute on ig like what??! U can’t lodge in two camps at d same time nah. choose one. The bible said it: wat will it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul. And what trend is toke setting o, get over yourselves. Nigerian media people are alarmingly fake and mighty headed it’s scary.

20. Baby gurl

October 12, 2016 at 5:02 pm

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence”-Charles Bukowski
    So much confidence in foolishness, I see people way older than me being comfortable in immaturity as if to say their years on earth have been spent being in a trance. Thank God I have myself to look up to, myself to take advice from, my mistakes to learn from and my own previous records, to beat. In conclusion, may I know great women, may I raise them, and may I be one.

• Zoba

October 12, 2016 at 6:39 pm

You are a proud human…people like you are those that make silly mistakes that could have been easily avoided. Continue looking up to yourself.

• A.M

October 14, 2016 at 12:28 am

And you’re too judgemental. Haba! Read the comment again , perhaps you’ll understand it differently.

21. lifeisbeautiful

October 12, 2016 at 5:42 pm

They kind of look like siblings in the above pictures.

22. vora

October 12, 2016 at 6:19 pm

so toke started wrking in 2001 and she is claiming 30 abi 31 years..toke abeg use style fear God

23. Anonymous

October 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm

As someone who had her 1st kiss at 13 and became sexually active at 17, lemme say to youths, be true to yourself and live your life. Take honest advice and constantly evaluate yourself to check yourselves.

I had my 1st miss at 13 but I was in ss2 and I believed I was in love. Dated him for 3 years till his family moved to SA and then I was single for 1 year. The sex at 17 happened in my 2nd year in another relationship of mine. I lived, party and clubbed but one thing I always did was to evaluate my life and ask if what I was doing fit my long term image of myself. Now I’m 27 and working hard to get my monthly income to 1m by my 28th birthday. I don’t even remember to have one night stands sef. By virtue of my personality and looks, I always happened to be among the popular folks living their lives but today, most of them are loafing just like those who lived a narrow life are unable to get into mainstream life.

Youths should have a sense of responsibility, be confident and live their lives with principles u afraid Nobody needs to tell to make their mistakes, they will make them.

Btw, Toke needs to keep quiet. She comes across as someone trying on personalities and it is pathetic to watch at her age

24. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

October 13, 2016 at 10:05 am

I wish I were Toke Makinwa to be getting comments as many as.

But my own ‘get as e be’.

25. Yummychickcummummy

October 13, 2016 at 10:40 am

Lmao. Lemme Go watch the video ***grabs popcorn and some and open YouTube *****….. Brb to comment

26. The real hadiza

October 13, 2016 at 10:46 am

When did tok and all social media celeb became a strong force to Rockon with more than everything your parents thought you , everything you read in the bible , I am not shocked at what tok said but I am shocked that people over 18 years are taking her and other social media celeb seriously … If you have a very good foundation you cant be bother , let’s go back to our homes and teach our children the right thing and stop seeing social media celeb as mentors to our children

27. trudy

October 13, 2016 at 11:58 am

let me use my life as a testimony
    i was a very popular teenager, i was sexually active at a young age and i dated early (my parents are strict but i found a way) now i have a happy go lucky personality and i craved acceptance from boys, i got my reality check in my 3rd year of university. i evaluated my life and realised whilst my peers are forging a pathway for their future i was spending my time worrying about boys and relationship so i made a decision to change everything. i decided to have a PLAN for myself and my life. THAT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IN YOUR 20’s!! decide who you are and what you want to be in your 20’s not one night stands and random kisses. im glad i got my reality check early enough. im done with my engineering degree and im currently doing my service, im also learning a foreign language and i have a small ankara business on the side. and where are those boys i was fooling with? some are in the US and Europe , some are “social misfits” there is so much purity in innocence. i lost mine and i regret it. PLAN and put in the work

28. Olivia

October 13, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Toke you gave just cursed yourself immensely ten generations after you

What God hates is like when one sins and chooses to bring hundreds of people along with hwe)

If you go on YouTube and listen to many Christian testimonies from kids or adult who died for a second went to heaven and back, one of the common things they all say they witnessed is folks going he’ll because of simple reasons such as one Facebook post, which advice people to sin.

Toke I know you are still hurt by what Make did and still retaliating but this crosses the line and am afraid you have shot yourself in the foot for this one, unless you retract and apologize to all especially those whose kids watch and listen to you.

When God gives you such a platform and you disrespect him by talking such rubbish is like excuse me to say pissing on his face.

Know that you will earn more fame money weaves and red bottom shoes, but you are cursed and you will end up a miserable trollop for leading thousands to hell with this bad advice.

Don’t ever dare post anything on your IG page mentioning God again cos clearly your hypocrite self does not respect him.

All responsible parents should warn their kids to not watch any more videos from this frustrated dumped hag. Anita is ten times better than you.

I respect Make for being so smart. No wonder his parents never liked toke, they could see the her.

All men out there see, this could be your future daughters mother if you don’t pray hard. Avoid this headache at all cost.

Vain#xxxch

• A.M

October 14, 2016 at 12:33 am

Everything you wrote made so much said until you brought in maje. How can you praise him for causing such hurt to another human being? Are you a true christian? Please search your conscience.

• EbonyFre

October 14, 2016 at 11:41 am

You don’t know Mr. Freeze. Steady promoting gender inequality and violence against/mistreatment of women with his utterances.
      TeeBillz put Tiwa on a blast and it was okay. Tiwa retaliated and he ate her raw and spat her out.
      I’m not condoning either of their actions tough.
      And who even gave him the chieftaincy title on other people’s marital issues. He needs to be put in his place!

29. EbonyFre

October 14, 2016 at 11:38 am

Line 1 “I have known you longer than most people are aware off”.
    Always about you Mr Freeze.
    And the moral of the story is??