News

Airlines are no longer servicing their aircraft because they can’t get FOREX – Senator Ben Murray-Bruce Writes on #AccidentWaitingToHappen

Ben Murray-Bruce Tweets on AirlinesSenator representing Bayelsa East Senatorial District, Ben Murray-Bruce, on Monday, said that airlines are no longer servicing their aircraft due to lack of access to FOREX.

He made this known in a series of Tweets. Murray-Bruce said that he got his information from ‘the head of an airline’.

Read what he wrote below:

Just spoke with the head of an airline and Nigerian airlines are not servicing planes because they can’t get forex.

Pilgrims get forex at special rates while airlines can’t get it to buy parts and are flying planes that could drop.

Right now in Nigeria, even aviation fuel isn’t available. Airlines are forced to cut corners and put lives at risk.

Regulators license airlines with one plane. The planes is overworked without access to necessary service and parts.

Airlines are forced to source for forex on the parallel market. They are forced to cut corners and risk lives.

What is happening in our aviation sector is an emergency. We mustn’t wait for the next accident to take storm.

In ALL airports in Nigeria, there are delays. No aviation fuel. No parts. Desperate travelers, weak regulator.

We must show concern for those who don’t have access to Presidential Jets and Private Jets. Human lives are at risk.

1. Marlvina

November 14, 2016 at 7:59 pm

You spoke with the head of an airline; that doesn’t mean it’s EVERY airline that isn’t servicing it’s aircrafts. Besides you shouldn’t be saying accident waiting to happen. Is that your wish?

• Bey

November 14, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Whether wish or not. Let information be passed to people, no harm in sharing information.
      It’s not about wishing or praying for accidents. One almost happened with Arik and I’m glad I got the information.
      People that left comments on dat particular post gave passenger accounts of what sort of noise was coming from d engine.
      Iv heard such funny noise coming from weda na propeller or engine of an Aero flight and since that day I don’t fly Aero.
      Should information be known by Ben Bruce and he says nothing.
      Maybe this will propel govt to atleast make Forex accessible to airlines. Will that harm Nigeria ? ?
      Is safety of citizens not the number one duty for any govt ?

• wale Maiyegun

November 15, 2016 at 7:13 am

Your comment infuriate me… I wish to swear on you but I won’t decend so low, I believe u are non social cause if u understand the risk one face when traveling locally you will cry with us, it baffles me the way we still think as people in African after been exposed to the world…someone came to world (Internet) to reveal the obvious (No Forex to service planes) and the only thing u can do is to attack him rather for u to make research on his claims… it pieces me off when u put God over Risk…God will not come from heaven to service those planes, he gave peeps like Ben common sense to make things right

• Jide

November 15, 2016 at 7:16 am

This man is insane. The head of an airline told a serving SENATOR this, and the man comes to rant on twitter? Instead of, I don’t know, trying to have them investigated and possibly prosecuted?

• Josephine

November 15, 2016 at 11:29 am

You shouldn’t assume that no official action is being taken. What if he only goes to the Aviation committee and in the process of a 6 month investigation an accident happens and he didn’t warn the public? And please what rant? How is passing information ranting? People like you truly baffle me.

2. Suga

November 14, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Nawa, this one is more than a warning on common sense. my people, We better start doing more roads than flying oo especially on local flights until we are sure of what’s going on with this aviation industry under this administration . It’s very unfortunate that our leaders do not even care for any other lives aside theirs and their families so we must advice ourselves and our loved ones on this crucial matter. Thank you very much Mr Ben, he who have ear let him hear!!

3. Ada

November 14, 2016 at 8:33 pm

If you had paid your debt of 11 billion naira to AMCON there would be enough money to şource for foreign exchange. Town crier. This is not new information. The federal government has directed CBN to source for foreign exchange for the airlines. What Ben Bruce as a senator should be asking CBN is how far and not telling us what we already know. Using social media to pass side comments about presidential jets. How does that help anyone? Tomorrow you will claim you don’t fly first class even when we see you at the airport.

• abi

November 14, 2016 at 11:34 pm

What a show of irresponsible indulgence. Ben Bruce really? Please name the airline so our people can avoid their flights since the owners are probably side lining whatever forex they do get towards their holidays and concubines.
      On the whole the current situation proves that Nigeria uses a high percentage of foreign goods but cannot pay for them with our currency. It’s a wonder that all these foreign producers have not considered accepting Naira. It has to start from somewhere abi?

4. lifeisbeautiful

November 14, 2016 at 8:44 pm

this is probably one of the scariest posts i read on this site.

5. Nonnie Obuegbe

November 14, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Good talk. But beyond talks, we need actions. We all know the problem. Let’s start talking solution. That’s the only way to get ourselves out of this quagmire.

6. lifeisbeautiful

November 14, 2016 at 8:50 pm

who’s ready to go out to the streets with me and hold these politicians and the president responsible.

• Baby gurl

November 14, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Me! ? I know people that never fly domestic while in Nigeria despite having the means to. I used to raise a brow at them until recently. It’s not funny. The aviation industry is a time bomb waiting to explode but by God’s amazing grace, no life will be claimed in Jesus name. Is it rickety planes, creaking wings, cattle crossing the tarmac and keeping hundreds mid air for hours? Where can we start from. The government is neglecting the warning signs and it’s disgusting and pathetic. Is it until there’s a crash (God forbid) before the old men will now sit up just to save face? I don’t know what the people at the helms of affairs are doing. Government should help out with the forex issue but no, they are looking like dodomu and moving like headless chickens. This country has no definite specific plan. No blueprint. Nothing. My No 1 prayer with regards 2019 is that a young, intelligent, empathetic visionary contests for presidency and wins. It may seem impossible but it will happen. I’m tired of these expired individuals I studied in History class in secondary school who have been wasting this country since the 70s! I’m tired!!

7. Dorame

November 14, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I thought this guy was a Senator, as in a part of the Government so why is he ranting like a regular citizen that is powerless

8. You

November 14, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Try and pay your debts. Union bank almost closed down because of only YOU. Many people lost their job because of YOU. Please pay your debts first then we can take it up from there

9. Bey

November 14, 2016 at 10:15 pm

It was reported, Arik air flying from Lagos to jos had a near mishap when an engine failed mid-air couple of days ago I think. Luckily an accident was averted and dey landed back in Lagos.
    I know dis can happen even in any country. But till further notice I ain’t flying local.
    Ama sit my ass down here in Lagos. Dis dollar ish is even affecting international airlines coming into naija more so our local ones.
    Call me unpatriotic but I love my life and even our so called leaders ain’t patriotic. A lot even fly their well serviced and managed private jets.
    I pray we wld continue to avert such accidents, bcos dat is d last thing Nigeria and its people need right now.

10. Aero phobia

November 15, 2016 at 12:48 am

Just what I need right now. Me that can’t fly without drink two bottles of wine. I have to pass out before flying that’s how bad it is. Guess I am not attending that wedding next week

11. nnenne

November 15, 2016 at 1:14 am

The Aviation ministry should create a standard work for tracking Airplane maintenance.
    Hopefully the individuals deligated will not be bribed or influenced by money!

12. nene

November 15, 2016 at 1:50 am

let them not service. all nigerian airlines are useless. im ready to travel by road.

13. jenny

November 15, 2016 at 10:04 am

God help us

14. #MadeInNaija

November 15, 2016 at 10:19 am

Thanks Mr. Bruce for this info but we have gone past it as Ada rightly pointed out. So, who is speaking on behalf of the millions of Nigerians whose only option is to ride in rickety Molue/Danfo/merry go round (as they call it in coal city) every day. They need servicing as well or you do not think so. Or they cannot access FOREX? There are so many Agents of Government (including NASS by way of law) that are supposed to ensure that Nigerians have efficient & safe means of transportation but what are they are doing? I am sure your guess is as good as mine…. sleeping (& snoring). Good morning Enugu.

15. Dor-Dor

November 16, 2016 at 2:11 am

Well,I watched an interview where medview boss,arik and air peace boss spoke on the issue of getting for example and parts and unreasonable charges…its pathetic. God help Nigeria