BN TV

“By the time I finish my testimony, there will be no Nigeria” – Nnamdi Kanu | WATCH

BellaNaija.com

The Federal High Court on Tuesday in Abuja approved Federal Government’s request to protect the identities of prosecution witnesses in the trial of detained Pro-Biafran leader, Nnamdi Kanu.

Giving ruling in the motion filed by Mohammed Labaran, counsel to government, Justice Binta Nyako held that the application was meritorious.

She said the prayer to shield the names and addresses of the prosecution witnesses who were largely security operatives was not a bad idea, adding that the law supported it.

“It is therefore the court’s order that the names and addresses of the prosecution witnesses shall only remain with the court. The prosecution witnesses who should appear in combination of alphabets will be given screens, which will be provided by the court. The defendants and their counsel will however be able to see the witnesses before they testify,’’ Nyako held.

Kanu immediately rejected the court ruling, insisting that it was against the tenets of justice and fair-hearing.

“I won’t stand this travesty of justice. Buhari spoke in public, he accused me in public. I must also be allowed to stand my trial in public,” Kanu said from the dock.

“Please sit down and allow me to handle this issue. I am your counsel. You briefed me to represent you, so please, allow me to handle it. I did not travel all the way from Aba for you to take over the brief, unless you want to debrief me”, Kanu’s lead counsel, Chuks Mouma, SAN, pleaded with him.

Shortly after the court fixed January 10, 11 and 12 January to commence the trial, Kanu, who could no longer bottle his anger, flared up again, saying he would, in the course of the trial, expose things that would sink Nigeria.

“This is nonsense. I will give testimony before this court. By the time I finish, there will be no Nigeria. This is no Sharia court. It is a court that operates under the common law. There will be no screening of witnesses, no fake identities or fake addresses. I cannot be tried in secret. No. Nnamdi Kanu cannot be jailed in secret. They are mad. Why must I be tried in secrecy by a government that does not obey court orders. They are killing my people in public. After killing my people, they want to try me in private? That person is mad. I won’t allow it,“ Kanu bellowed.

WATCH:

1. Gsix

December 14, 2016 at 7:46 am

Sadly, there is almost no way to get a just outcome from these proceedings. This govt has failed to follow laid down rules at every opportunity, I do not particularly believe in Kanu’s cause; because I do not think we need such extremity, especially as the leaders from the east region have also failed that region. IMO, I do not see his option as a permanent solution. But regardless, the human rights breeches in this country over the last year have almost tripled. You have held a man against the court ruling for months, spoken publicly about on-going court cases thus influencing proceedings, but will sentence him if the court pronounces such judgment because it pleases you.
    We fought collectly for free speech and basic human respect during GEJ and we made big gains – we have almost lost all of that Rights in 1 year.
    History books will not be fair to a lot of us and it will affect the generation that embraces its importance.

2. lauren

December 14, 2016 at 8:29 am

Buhari, leave Nnamdi kanu alone. how can you disobey a court ruling to release this man yet you traveled with tax payers money to talk to president Jammeh. hypocrisy at its peak. physician heal thy self. obey the rule of law and release this man or trial him in public.

• Nene+

December 14, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Buhari’s disbedience to court oders is as bad as his mission in Gambia! I am so sure Jammeh’s tots would be hmmm of all people you Buhari? Come on mr president. Who doesnt know your mind in al these vindictiveness?

Keeping Kanu, Dasuki etc without charging them reduces your presidency to personal pettiness.

3. Mo'Diva

December 14, 2016 at 9:27 am

Issokay we’re watching

4. nnenne

December 14, 2016 at 11:59 am

Issues are never resolved with force.
    Nnamdi Kalu, is only one man.
    Kill him or jail him. Other Nnamdi Kalus will emerge.
    Ideologies do not die like that.
    For decades the people of the south eastern Nigeria have been crying out for marginalization.

Way forward is not force and daring people to remain silent.
    The federal government either deals with this issue now or delay it for generations to come.
    The earlier, the better and the less complicated!

5. Sonia Paloma

December 14, 2016 at 12:00 pm

What exactly did this man do please? Enlighten a sister please

• pheobe

December 14, 2016 at 12:22 pm

He spoke the truth.

6. Nelo

December 14, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Nna gwa fa!

Buhari is indeed a mad man and unashamedly tribalistic. We keep seeing protests for El zakzaki, yet nothing happened to those protesters. But I thank God Amnesty international exposed those videos of soldiers opening fire and killing innocent IPOB protesters in the south East. Buhari keeps playing the judicial system to detain Nnamdi Kanu. If he has guts, let him kill Kanu. Onye ara!!

7. Worst Gov't

December 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Surprisingly no much comments here again…hmmm we are truly watching. Democracy indeed.

8. Deb

December 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm

If a part of the country says they want to go, I think dialogue by checking into their grievances and remedy thereof should be the solution and not arrest& harras their leaders. I told my friends from day one that buhari is uselessman.he used tinubu to gain votes in the south&west. He is tribalistic& an Islamic fanatic who hates Christianity. The persons to be tried here is shekau& all the military officers selling arms to BH. Now they want to use international loans to rebuild he north east, how about all those undeveloped places in the south… Buhari Must G o. Im just angry& im not ibo

• nene

December 14, 2016 at 10:32 pm

gbam

9. Ade

December 14, 2016 at 4:02 pm

All I know is that whatever they do, Buhari and his cohorts better ensure Mr Kanu doesn’t die because that will be the onset of Nigeria’s next war.

10. James

December 14, 2016 at 8:06 pm

We should all be protesting for this man’s freedom. This is not right at all. What has he actually done wrong????

11. James

December 15, 2016 at 12:31 pm

BUHARI MUST GO!!!

12. Fan

December 15, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Buhari is not the change Nigeria need .Release Nnamdi Kanu now for your time is up to go.you are a course to Nigerian government.I bet you Biafra must stand like it or not..if anything happen to Nnamdi Kanu You Buhari will not go free you will be jailed for life after your 4 year term nobody will allow you come to power in Nigeria get education Buhari