Scoop

“Where there was a Casting down, our heads were lifted” – Toke Makinwa reflects on her 2016

BellaNaija.com

It has been quite a year for media personality, Toke Makinwa. Through all her trials and social media judgments, she has stayed positive and continued to push for excellence.

In a new post on Instagram, the media star reflects on the past year and how she has held things together.

Read her post below.

In 2015, God told me the glory of my latter years will over shadow the former. I was excited, but with God I’ve learnt that before the testimony, there has to be a test. I started 2016 on such a timid note. I was afraid of everything, not knowing what will come next, unsure of how I would get by, but month after month my vision became clearer, I could feel God’s hand and presence in my life and I became bolder. He came thru each and all the time. The other day I said to my friend; God kept us in 2016, we have nothing to complain about. Where there was a Casting down, our heads were lifted. He gave us success, good health, testimonies, endless joy and I can only pray for his glory in 2017. It is my year of Gods glory. Before I call he will answer me, while I am yet speaking, I know he will do my heart’s desire. I have come far from that lonely teenager to a king woman, it hasn’t been without challenging times but I have a God that uses my life to advertise his great power. There is joy in serving him, I can talk about his love for ever and I can’t wait to get closer to him even more! I can’t wait to share testimonies in 2017, I can’t wait to shine thru his glory. As long as I live, I will share his goodness, as far as he takes me, I will declare his love. The best kind of relationship, he makes me a better person and he is most patient with me. In anything you do in 2017, find God. Whatever plans you have, make him the centre. With him you can never lose. As I spend today reflecting; the past is now only a place of reference. Everything good will come❤. Happy 2017, I wish you a Godfilled year long❤❤

1. Darius

December 31, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Amongst all the celebrities, I think Toke was the most talked about, the most hated, the most loved, the most favoured and the most controversial in 2016. She smiled to the bank though. With all the money she made from her book, I don’t see how she could’ve written anything bad about 2016.

2. keke driver

December 31, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Dammit BN are you guys sure you’re not in partnership with Toke?
    Toke sneezes, It makes it on BN
    Toke laughs…It’s on BN
    Toke Hugged another “celebrity” ….And it makes it on BN
    Oti wa sun mi bayi

3. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

December 31, 2016 at 5:06 pm

I LOVE YOU TOKE!!! YOU ARE THE BEST NIGERIAN CELEB…..haters start cumming over my comment?

4. Lana

December 31, 2016 at 5:13 pm

It’s not really about money, it’s about image and integrity and she has none. Here is a woman who for years had a YouTube show for women giving so called candid advice on a topic she has now now been exposed to know nothing about (relationships, how to keep your man and home etc). I mean during those times people called her to task on her hypocrisy as it was well known her home was not in order but she pressed on in her falsehood (always calling God too). Never candidly apologizing to her fans of coming clean so we can all journey with her, it’s all been turned into a profit making scheme on a burn book. She finally admits to bleaching but still hides behind all this God talk veneer. As much as I want to like her it’s just sickening because it all feels like the same old same old. Inauthentic. At the end of the day woman, you have to live with yourself and not for show. I hope you get the help you need and take a break instead of stumbling around publicly thinking you are helping people in your public ruin and damage, even as you overcome. Showing accountability and realness will go a long way. I hope to see some actual growth from this woman. Hard to move past that charlantan show on YouTube full of lies and deceit that she kept promoting. Do better Toke so by your fruits we shall know you! Not just years of more pictures shoes and makeup and worthless shows. Pointless, Soon you will learn another lesson (maybe for another book) that it’s not all about that. Good luck and Cheers

• Titi

December 31, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Why do you want Toke to conform so badly to a certain image that you have of her? Why is it so difficult to understand that Toke is who she and is the way she is right now because that’s what she is supposed to be? I don’t know what is so terrible about someone who lives her life freely and lives it to the maximum that bothers people like you so much. We are all different things to different people and while you may have considered her talks dishonest, other people found them inspiring and thus Toke was a positive influence on others. You say she has no integrity or good image, I beg to disagree because she has galvanized me into making many positive choices in my life. Her love for God, gentle determination and her resilience motivates me daily to never give up. So while you may find her inauthentic, bear in mind that your definition of inauthentic is not going to be the same for everyone and at the end of the day, nobody owes anyone an apology for how they choose to live their lives, if they are causing no harm to anyone.

• Femfem

December 31, 2016 at 9:26 pm

You have said it all.i don’t know if she has accepted her own massive part in the debacle. Has she grown

• "We ave heard.

January 1, 2017 at 12:39 am

Half of Nigerians won’t even understand what you wrote. The definition of success in Nigeria is money in the bank and pictures on instagram looking good. This is Nigeria o! Doesn’t matter how you make the money as long as you have it. You’re here talking about integrity…in Nigeria??? I think you have the wrong country my friend.

• Dorothy

January 1, 2017 at 4:33 pm

@Letty Make sure you comment on issues you are familiar with. Maje met Toke in her teens and she carried on with him into adulthood for about 14 years. So there was no question of bleaching when they met. Maje is over 12 years older than Toke and was manipulating both Toke and Anita. Maje has no reputation and has nothing to say that l want to hear. He is a manipulator, heart-,breaker, promiscuous and above all a dishonorable man. An honourable man will choose one of ladies he loves and marry her. As a manipulator, he chose Toke to marry because of material gains and didn’t want children from her. He put Anita he likes (not love) by the corner to be having his babies. Did he not commit adultery? Was he not using Toke for business purposes and collecting money from her. When Toke left him after all the babymama issue was Maje not all over the social media begging Toke and asking us to help beg his wife. Yet he doesn’t want to leave Anita and face his marriage and does not want Toke to have a child for him. ls it not wickedness to hold on to her for selfish reasons other then allow her go and start another relationship so she can have her own children. Make Maje talk now. He does not have the same platform Toke has which she can use effectively against him.

• Dorothy

January 1, 2017 at 4:37 pm

@Lana – Bad belle dey kill o!

• You no be God!

January 1, 2017 at 6:19 pm

In Jesus name she will not learn another lesson… Whatsoever you wish her in your mind that is not good…That negative expectation you have of her may it be on you and your generation to come! In Jesus Name! Like her you are flawed! You are Flawed…hiss!

5. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

December 31, 2016 at 5:44 pm

@Lana TOKE STAYS WINNING, STOP HATING SO GOD CAN BLESS YOU JUST LIKE TOKE MAKINWA.

• Nene

January 1, 2017 at 1:52 am

Story for the gods

6. Letty

December 31, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Toke is a narcissist in the original sense of the word. Its all about me me me me..look at me i am this i am that. We should not make a mockery of God. In Nigeria ppl throw God’s name around my sincere hope is that its from a real place. I will not judge. I am done with this Toke thing the only allure that makes me cgeck bn since they are besotted by her is that i still remain curious as to Majes response. He was villified and his reputation smeared like mud from someone who really should not be the judge of xter a self professed vain glorious woman, yet Maje remains mum and hasn’t said anything about the filthy and sordid accusations. Consequently i beg to ask who is the true victim here?

As a woman I implore men..look b4 you leap if u know u are a decent guy look beyond the bleaching, makeup, fal se eyelashes clothes and all things superficial and seek for yourselves a respectable confident woman. My sisters out there dont think you can intimidate or manipulate a man into a relationship he will never love, honor or respect you, and any semblance of affection will end under the sheets.

• Nene

January 1, 2017 at 1:53 am

Gbam

7. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

December 31, 2016 at 6:16 pm

@Letty I know you are jealous of Toke… Calm down, over 99% of Nigerian women want to be Toke and at the same time still hate on her. Bow down EVERY WOMAN?

• A Real Nigerian

December 31, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Na wa o

• sweetzie

December 31, 2016 at 10:39 pm

@uncle Gwe Gwe Gwe. Wronggggggg. Over 99 percent of women don’t want to be like Toke! Ever since i read toke’s book, whenever i see pictures her, i see a low self esteem woman trying so hard to belong. Toke please get the help you really need and find yourself.

• Leah

January 1, 2017 at 7:21 am

Toke you don’t even want to be yourself, how would any other woman want to you? 38 years old, bleached out, photoshopped, fake accent, fake “secret surprises” you plan yourself, insecure and lives on social media attention. The only thing you have going for you is cheap publicity. 99% of Nigerian women have men who actually took them home, proposed to them, and willing planned and participated in their wedding and marriage. After you faked it all by yourself, some plain and unassuming Calabar girl snatched from you without even making an effort. Yeah Toke every Nigerian woman really wan ts to be you, whatever you say. Get help mama.

• Nnechi Spicy.

January 2, 2017 at 5:58 pm

UNCLE GWEGS I take God beg you, re-evaluate your statement. Over 99%, like Toke, really? How did you arrive at this conclusion? Which research method did you apply in gathering your statistics? Please i speak for myself when i say ‘dont mock my Creator! He didnt make a mistake in making me as i am.’
      Happy New Year.

8. Letty

December 31, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Wow u just insulted 99% of the so called women u think are jealous…. Toke aka uncle whatever u call ur self …appalling…

• DD

January 1, 2017 at 6:12 am

Stfu, you’re a hater. Always sounding so pained.

9. Xoxo

January 1, 2017 at 5:01 pm

If you dislike a person and everything they are so much when you see a post about them jump and pass.. Toke is fake, she’s a narcissist, she’s playing victim, she’s all about the gram,she bleaches,she’s a hypocrite, blah blah blah.. We’ve heard it too many times. There’s no need for the constant bashing.. Everybody will be acting like there was never a time they gave out advice they didn’t follow. Whether her home was in shambles or not I’m pretty sure at least one person gained something from her vlog you term as “hypocrisy.” Whether you think she’s pretentious or not God is the only one that knows those that are serving him in truth and in spirit….

10. Life!

January 2, 2017 at 12:12 am

Success is not measured by how you compare with other people, but by how you compare with what you are capable of doing yourself.
    The only person that knows how successful you are, is you and God.
    Toke acknowledges her mistakes, she now looks back at her failures and decides to set better goals for herself.
    Success is not staying trapped in an egg! It is learning how to fly.
    2017! Here we go….