Scoop

Abimbola Craig talks Life as Tiwalade on “Skinny Girl In Transit”, Dating & More in New Interview

BellaNaija.com

Abimbola Craig was recently featured on the cover of Guardian Life Magazine and the Skinny Girl In Transit actress talked to the magazine about her role as Tiwalade in NdaniTV’s hit web series, how she got the role, the past year as an actress and so much more.

Read excerpts below.

On how she got the role: I was working for Ndani TV as a producer, so I was meant to produce skinny girl in transit. And I was goofing around while people came to audition for skinny girl in transit and my footage was seen, my ‘Ogas’ on top where like “Bimbo you can do this thing, let’s try it… give it a shot. And I said okay let’s try it. I keep telling people it just fell in on the way; acting was never part of my life plan. I mean I did do it when I was in primary school and church.

On dating: I want whatever soap Tiwa is using, I want the same soap too… My social life and Tiwa’s social life are miles apart, Tiwa is busy.

On the series addressing societal issues: Every time we come up with storylines, we try to make sure we come up with stories that are addressing everyone’s life…What I really wanted people to take out was the married men situation. It has happened before, it will constantly keep happening. We need to stop being ignorant and letting girls think it’s okay. Telling girls what they want to believe and they are so naïve. I was watching a show I think it was moments in Ghana and a lady was talking a bit how she dated a married man for up to 8 years. Now she was aware but he kept on saying he was going to leave his wife and she had a kid by him. So every once in a while we try to touch all these basic issues but one thing I want everyone to take from it is regardless of any size you are you need to learn to love yourself. You cannot give out what you do not have within, so if you don’t love yourself and whatever insecurities you have be it fat, be it skinny, there is no way you can be a better person to whoever it is that is coming into your life.

On the reaction to Tiwa having a one-night stand: My personal opinion is that Nigerians as hypocrites full stop. First of all if you live in a glasshouse, don’t throw stones. Now the reason that was thrown in there was because everyone had seen Tiwa from season one to three and pretty much put her in a box.  So a lot of people were under the assumption that she was a virgin. We never played that card, we never once did…People just assumed that she was a virgin and her sister Shalewa was the wild one…I keep saying Nigerians are hypocrites because people kept walking up to me someone said “Tiwa you have joined bad gang”…Yes Tiwa had a one-night stand and she didn’t regret it. She only felt bad because she said her hear belonged to someone else. At the end of the day, body no be fire wood, Tiwa lived and that is the most important thing, we don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow so why didn’t you do what you wanted to do today?

Read her full interview here.

1. Bubu

January 21, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Really you are still justifying this one night stand thing, if u are not in support of young girls dating married men then u should also never be in support of a one night stand both acts screams Prostitution. Na the same thing. How sure are u that the guy u no nothing about is not married soo…

• Udegbunam Chukwudi

January 21, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Hmmm. One night stands now equals prostitution. ???? Odiegwu. Mscheeeew. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. You might actually enjoy it. Not everyday Sister Rebecca

• Onika

January 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Abeg, don’t pop an artery. The same rules do not govern all girls! Some have one night stands and do not feel guilty. and if you got off your pristine high horse, you’d realize that selling your body for money is not the same as sleeping with a stranger for a good f***!

• Bubu

January 21, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Really clap for yourself.

• AJ

January 21, 2017 at 5:19 pm

That is one thing people don’t understand, you cannot justify one act of sexual immorality and frown at the other one. In other for this pandemic called adultery to be eradicated, all forms of sexual immorality has to stop. I mean, you cannot tell a girl or a guy who have been sexually active or promiscuous for the most part of their adult life, to stop being promiscuous once they get “married”. What is the basis of their behavior stopping? I mean the same One Who said adultery is wrong also said fornication is wrong! You can’t accept one without the other. For adultery to stop, fornication also has to stop because lust is never satisfied and is no respecter of anybody. You better nip it in the bud before it’s too late. If you want better in your future, you have to do better now. All sexual immorality brings is diseases and heartache anyway.

• Seriously

January 21, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Cut it out. You probably had one before. I’m not into one night stand but tired of Nigerian girls being so judgmental but their own personal lives stinks. Those two scenarios are not the same thing.
      Anyway, why so many grammatical and spelling errors in the article.

2. AfricaLinked

January 21, 2017 at 5:06 pm

This is an interesting post to be honest, nice one here Bellanaija, but i will still quote what this guy said, The same rules do not govern all girls! Some have one night stands and do not feel guilty. i think he is right.

3. Anan

January 21, 2017 at 5:41 pm

i may never understand this generation,dating married men is not good,but one night stands are good once you are not a virgin and you don’t have regrets,even if the other party is married or engaged . You better take a side…. i know not everyone is born again,but that does not mean that what is morally questionable should be celebrated.
    Anyone that points out social issues that contribute to the putrefying nature of our societal fabric is of course on a high horse and if you quote scriptures,you are judgemental,but that is not true.
    What is wrong is not right…..

4. Vee

January 21, 2017 at 6:00 pm

But that’s not the only thing she talked na eh Bellanaijarians and ‘the one night stand’

5. Vee

January 21, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Born in warri,mum is itsekiri…….love her more than ever now

6. Californiabawlar

January 21, 2017 at 6:26 pm

It read like she was fighting with me…chill mama! Lol.

7. Dr. N

January 21, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Sex is such a touchy subject (pun intended)

8. chidar

January 21, 2017 at 7:44 pm

one night stand is wrong, dating married men is wrong,fornication & adultery wrong too… talking abt morals,try not to be hypocrites though,if u wanna put an effort live the right way! if not nobody has made you the judge!

9. M (the real one)

January 22, 2017 at 4:24 am

Hmmm diseases & pregnancies are real ooo….. By all means do as you please but maybe don’t celebrate it in public just cause some may look up to you

10. tee

January 22, 2017 at 4:29 am

I am not a saint o but really, what is this generation teaching the next? If ur boyfriend,girlfriend, husband or wife had a one night stand , would u say ‘oh its one of those things, its just once’. AND prostitution is wrong…even if we do these things like our mothers/father probably did (secretly) in their days, most we now openly justify them? Pretty soon, being a virgin might be a crime to some people!

11. Cocoa

January 22, 2017 at 4:57 pm

WHAT IS GOING ON???????????????????????????
    Is no one advocating for NO SEX BEFORE MRRIAGE again??????
    Father if my heart is bleeding as a human being ..I don’t even want to know what Yours is doing.
    FORGIVE US LORD. I AM SORRY ON THEIR BEHALF, PLEASE!!!

” Body no be fire wood” “Tiwa LIVED” “No one knows tomorrow”

Ahhhhhhh???????????

No one knows tomorrow should be REALITY CHECK for REPENTENCE and GETTING CLOSE TO GOD. Not SIN ALL THE SIN YOU CAN POSSIBLY SIN IN ONE DAY AND FACE ETERNAL WRATH AFTER DEATH.

From tonigh I will intensify my prayers for the salvation of my brothers and sisters…we are truely LOST. HELP US FATHER!!!!!!!!

• Shield

January 30, 2017 at 9:32 pm

God bless you Cocoa. It’s now acceptable and if you speak against it, you’re called names. May God forgive our generation.

12. Cooks

January 26, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Totally agree with Tee, Anan, and Cocoa… Tiwa/Bimbo, not all Nigerians are hypocrites… we have to be careful when making absolute statements… there are some Christians (should be all) who believe in no sex before marriage, and do it as their surrender to God… so for them it calls into question the idea of a one night stand… even if they’ve had sex before, the moment they come into Christ and are new, they are not judged by their previous lives by God and so they can in their own lives reject the one night stand idea… they are not hypocritical… they are changed and don’t subscribe to that lifestyle…

frankly speaking, when I watched the episode of Tiwa having a one night stand, it was off just because of the character build up until that episode… but I said hey, that’s the choice of the writer… The marriage bed is undefiled, and whoremongers and fornicators, God will judge… this isn’t for everyone but for those who profess Christianity but still believe it’s okay to have one night stand and “live life”… or involve in adultery or fornication… mistakes may happen and there’s forgiveness but when you subscribe to that way of life and continue in it (that God’s grace may cover you?)… you might as well forget being a Christian.. Bible says God forbid that grace will abound to cover continuous sinning (it’s like nailing Christ to the cross over and over… like I know this is bad but I just want to keep doing it). You know you will get cut when you use a sharp knife on your finger… right? But there are plasters/bandaids and first aid kit… but do you keep cutting yourself with the knife, knowing there’s plaster/bandaid and first aid kit available? For those who aren’t Christians, this whole story may not apply. I’m guessing there’s a moral code that you’ve built to guide your life… just to be clear, this is speaking to the bit of Tiwa/Bimbo’s statement that a one night stand is estimated to living your life and that is okay… it could be a one night stand that ruins another’s life, it could be one that will be a married man, an STD/AIDS carrying person, a Killer etc… bear in mind whether Christian or not, there are consequences to bear for every action… May I borrow Newton’s law that teaches that for every action… so while for a Christian, it is wrong in their own eyes, as an individual, let your audience know there are consequences for those kind of things that are an aberration from a normal flow of events (this is of course agreeing that one night stands are not an everyday way of life)… even Tiwa, though she felt good had moments of feeling filth… and if that’s something you can live with… ride on, but if that’s not something you want to live with, then don’t tread on that path… it’s not the end of the world, you live you learn, you fall and you get back up again… let’s not make things we won’t want our children doing, seem okay.

• Cooks

January 26, 2017 at 10:33 pm

And no, I have no hate for Tiwa or Bimbo! I particularly love Bimbo and have been following the show for a while… it is just great when we have clear and non-malicious conversations and reasonings sessions about these things… and be clear and intentional about the messages we want to pass on…

13. Melody

January 18, 2018 at 7:01 pm

A BiG thank you cooks, cocoa, God bless.