News

IPOB Protests as Nnamdi Kanu’s Secret Trial Begins | WATCH

BellaNaija.com

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday commenced the secret trial of the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu and three others.

Kanu, Chidiebere Onwudiwe, Benjamin Madubugwu and David Nwawuisi, who are being prosecuted for treasonable felony and terrorism were shielded from the public in the courtroom.

Justice Binta Nyako had on December 13, 2016, ruled that the identity of witnesses in the matter would be protected but at Tuesday’s sitting, the judge and parties were all shielded from public view.

There was also a heavy presence of security personnel within and around the court premises.

This made it difficult for people, including journalists and relatives of the defendants to enter the court.

The defence team, however, insisted that each of the defendants was entitled to have four relatives in court during proceedings.

This led to a short adjournment to enable security operatives allow the defendants’ relatives into the courtroom.

On resumption of proceedings, the defence counsel informed the court of its pending applications seeking to quash the charges against the four defendants.

Counsel to Kanu, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, also informed the court of another application challenging the competence of the charge against the defendants.

Ejiofor told the court that the proof of evidence did not support the charges against his client to warrant his continual detention.

“The charge does not warrant his detention because there is no case against him,” he said.

Ejiofor also told the court that the Department of State Services (DSS) were frustrating the efforts of counsel in gaining access to the defendants.

He also alleged that relatives of the defendants were being continuously harassed and arrested each time they visited them in prison.

“They (DSS) are clamping down on the innocent citizens. If anything should happen to me or my family, the DSS should be held responsible,” Ejiofor said.

Nyako cautioned operatives of the DSS against sensationalising the case, saying that there was nothing special about the four defendants.

According to her, this is a simple criminal case so I do not understand all the “gra-gra” around it which I see from my CCT camera.

She also said that the handcuffs should be removed from the defendants as they arrived the court premises as the defence team had complained that they were brought into court in handcuffs.

“State operatives should threat the case like any other case. You cannot break the constitution and still expect to be guided by the constitution,” Nyako said.

She asked the defence team to file a formal complaint of all the allegations they made and serve the court.

The judge also asked them to quickly serve the court copies of their applications to allow expeditious hearing.

She said that ruling on the applications would determine whether the case would be terminated or continued.

Nyako adjourned the matter till January 12 to hear the application challenging the competence of the charge as well as that seeking to quash the case.

IPOB members also protested against the secret trial. See below:

1. Sevenade

January 10, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Buhari is a bastard, an extremist and a terrorist. Release this man unconditionally! I’m still wondering why Igbos haven’t taken up arms against the government.

2. amy

January 10, 2017 at 8:43 pm

He is really a bastard… wicked man buh God pass am…

3. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

January 10, 2017 at 9:45 pm

BIAFRA is dead and buried, someone needs to wake up Nnamdi Kanu up from sleep. You cant come and divide this country into two for your selfish reasons,

People who agitate for BIAFRA have absolutely nothing to loose in life.

If you were Dangote, Otedola, Arthur Eze etc With investment in every part of the country, you wudnt seek for division.

Give Ibos Biafra and they WILL NEVER STAY IN PEACE. THERE IS SPIRIT OF DIVISION AMONG THEM.

am Ibo by the way BUT I HATE IBO PEOPLE ?

• The Real Oma

January 10, 2017 at 10:15 pm

@UNCLE You are Ibo,. This post is about an Igbo man,
      I am not pro-Biafra. Just helping you put things in perspective

• Uncle gwe gwe gwe go and drink your medicine

January 10, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Thank God you said “am Ibo”. True Igbos know themselves and you are definitely not one of us. Go and look for your kinfolk in Yaba psych. Thank you.

• nnenne

January 10, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Uncle gwe, gwe, gwe…..
      Today it is Kanu, who will it be tomorrow?
      Yes, you may not believe in
      Biafra but to think that Nigeria is ok the way it is, is living a lie!!!!
      Honey, tak a deep breath, go back in history and ask yourself why things are the way they are! !

Like you, I don’t think division is the way forward but stop living in denial, lazy man’s way of covering things up is not there way to go. . Nigeria is not perfect. Change things around and see how it goes.
      Suggestions :

Nigeria should go into regions , each with some form of autonomy, paying taxes to the Federal government with the president as a figure head. It will stir a healthy competition and citizens will really know where there funding comes from. Now governors will be deceiving them and blaming the central office in Abuja .

2. If we decided that certain people are born to rule, could those people make every effort to raise excellent leaders for us? People will not care as long that individual knows what they are doing and treats every area alike.
      I mean, why should someone like Oshibanjo be vice president and Buhari, president? Who is more qualified?
      Give us your best, if you insist on running the affairs of the country
      Some of our problemb is not corruption but gross incompetency. Example, it takes you six to eight months to name ministers including financial minister, even as oil prices go down? .

Nigeria will never live up to its potentials the way things are. .
      We have to move away from the status quo.
      You may not agree with kanu ‘s approach but throwing in jail will not hush things up. It may delay it.
      Justice, fairness and equity are all you need. Nigeria belongs to all Nigerians, majority, minority, North, South, East and West , not just a selected group! !!

4. Chidinma

January 10, 2017 at 11:50 pm

My mum is igbo, from Imo, my father is Igbo from Anambra. My dads people still considered my mother, who married my father 45years ago an outsider, a second class Igbo! I am Igbo and I honestly can’t stand igbos! This fool Kalu, has no interest of the igbos at heart, he is just another selfish arrogant power evil prick, attention whore, who has his selfish agenda! That Jewish outfit he has on is another sign of how stupid these people are! Igbos are not Jews! Some gullible fools are giving people like these fools more power! I am Igbo and if Nigeria secedes, I will like to be Nigerian! The Igbo crab in the bucket and get rich quick mentality will never allow them be great and live in peace!!! Ngwa Biafra BYE

• Open your eyes

January 11, 2017 at 8:33 am

Chidinma,
      Your mother is considered an outsider in Anambra but all Igbos are treated as slaves in Nigeria. As a matter fact, all ethnic nationalities are treated as slaves by the hausa/fulani. The difference is that some Igbos have the courage to resist the subjugation while other Nigerians keep living perpetual denial.
      IPOB is calling for a referendum. What is wrong about it? Why would the government kill it’s innocent citizens because they asked for a referendum in a civilized manner?
      In referendum you vote yes or no.
      You claim you are Igbo who hates Igbos. That means you hate yourself. No ethnic group needs such individual. You and Uncle Gwegwe can vote ‘no’ and remain slaves in Nigeria. It’s your choice.
      I agree with nnenne. I don’t think outright division is the answer if there’s room for restructuring. However, I wonder why people keep saying Igbos will not be united after they secede as if Nigeria is united. Biafra cannot be more divided than Nigeria, especially Nigeria under the present government. And there won’t be any group like herdsmen senselessly killing fellow Igbos because of cows while the president silently encourages them. People will not be killed because they are Christians.
      IPOB is simply saying no to injustice and slavery and every Nigerian- apart from some cannibals who think they are born to rule- should be concerned.

• #MadeInNaija

January 11, 2017 at 11:00 am

When did the Ibos ask for a referendum? I am Ibo and up till this moment, I have not heard nor seen any notification from my Traditional Ruler asking me to participate in any Referendum to agree internally on the justification for self-determination. I am sure it is same for every Ibo, I have equal right to my town/village with any other indigene and if my town/village has not accepted to join the Biafran Nation, I ain’t going nowhere!!! The point is this, the move for self-determination must be done in a coordinated & democratic manner and all the Ibos must be consulted otherwise it is not democratic. IPOB/MASSOB do not represent the Ibos and never will. No rational Ibo wants to associate with a Group that is filled with extreme hatred for other Tribes. . What Chidinma wrote is very true to this day. It is very bad and unfortunate but this discrimination & dis-unity amongst Ibos should stop. Remove the speck in your eye before attempting to remove the log in another person’s eye. What about the Osu-Caste System among the Ibos? How do you wanna deal that? What about low male-enrollment in Schools? What about issue of production of fake drugs & other sub-standard items in Ibo Land? What about the issue of get-rich-quick or ”ogwu ego”? What about the issue of illiteracy? Baby Factory and Kidnapping nko?These are the social malaise affecting the Ibo Society? IPOB /MASSOB do not have any idea of how to deal with these issues. Self-determination is not achieved by carrying flag or wearing native attire sewn in Biafra or Jewish colours or uttering gibberish on social media that attracts ”thousand likes” from the uninformed . Has anybody thought of economic implications of only five Ibo States in a Country?How do we sustain our economy or earn FOREX immediately? Maybe rice exports from Adani, Omor & Abakaliki? Through which Port? Apapa or Port Harcourt (all in Nigeria). Where do you buy petroleum products & cooking gas? From Nigeria of course? I forgot that Addax is producing less than 10,000 bbls/day of crude oil from Izombe (Imo State). But where is the crude evacuated to? Ebocha, Rivers (Nigeria). We need to sort this out and the issues of unity, illiteracy and poverty among Ibos before making a move at self-determination, otherwise if we have Anambra or Imo Country, these fundamental issues will still be there.

• Engoz

January 11, 2017 at 7:16 pm

@#MadeinNaija

“The point is this, the move for self-determination must be done in a coordinated & democratic manner and all the Ibos must be consulted otherwise it is not democratic. IPOB/MASSOB do not represent the Ibos and never will. No rational Ibo wants to associate with a Group that is filled with extreme hatred for other Tribes.”

You couldn’t have said it any better. Personally, I would want for every region in Nigeria to go their separate ways. Let’s not deceive ourselves, there is a clash between Igbo ideologies and other ethnic groups in Nigeria. For example the other day someone here equated not prostrating or kneeling as a sign of disrespect. It sounds harmless, but in the bigger context of things, imagine that person as an employer holding such prejudices towards people who don’t kneel. Now I would want intellectuals to define the fate of the Igbo in Nigeria. If IPOB was a serious entity with merit, it would have had an Igbo referendum with everybody, every clan, every community represented by an intellectual before presenting its case to Nigeria. There we would weigh the risk and benefits of either staying in Nigeria or leaving it. We do not need an Nnamdi Kanu type of proposal.

5. Anon

January 11, 2017 at 1:44 am

Inciting to hatred is wrong but should only get you max 12 months in jail. Not even prison. But they kept this man in jail for how long? You deny people their right to protest by filling up villages with armed Hausa soldiers. I witnessed this myself this Christmas. Buhari I don’t know what’s in his min, but his actions do not reflect someone who cares for unity

6. lola

January 11, 2017 at 6:20 am

Buhari is nothing but a dictator. Free this man but for where.

7. Ethio

January 11, 2017 at 9:59 am

I’m igbo, but I don’t think I can support this display of brainlessness. Yes Nigeria is not okay the way it is but this right here is not the solution