News

“I did it to save my marriage”: Jackline Mwende who was Brutalised by her Husband for Bearing no Child was Pregnant for another Man Before the Attack

BellaNaija.com

Jackline Mwende during the interview at her new home in Kathama village, Machakos County, on February 21, 2017. PHOTO | JEFF ANGOTE | NATION MEDIA GROUP

In August last year, we brought you the story of a Kenyan woman who was severely brutalised by her estranged husband for allegedly having no child after seven years of marriage.

The man, Stephen Ngila Nthenge, chopped off her hands with a local knife.

Nthenge reportedly fled the scene after the incident, but was arrested the next day July 25. He was arrested and charged with attempted murder.

He was later released on a Sh200,000 bond. The case continues on February 27.

Jackline Mwende and Stephen Nthenge

Jackline is now pregnant for another man. In an interview with The Nation, Kenya, she said she was pregnant three days before the attack for a close friend she had been dating before the sad incident.

She said she has no regrets, because she “opted to go this route” out of her deep-rooted desire to bear a child.

She said that there hasn’t been any contact between her and the man since she got pregnant, because they had agreed that he should impregnate her after which they should go their separate ways.

“I wanted a child. I was desperate and it is that yearning… and probably the devil too… that made me stray out of my marriage. But I did it to save my marriage.”

She discovered she was pregnant following days of nausea that prompted her to go for a medical check-up. She is due to give birth at the “end of February or beginning of March”.

“It was wrong to do it and I know people will judge me harshly for it, but I am remorseful because I was desperate. Knowing that am alive today, and that I will be a mother soon, is the silver lining in the middle of all the heartache and gloom,” she said.

She also added that the attack may be connected to her being seen in public with the father of her soon-to-be born child.

“We had sought accommodation in Machakos town because I did not want to bring him to my matrimonial bed. It was on the Saturday of July 23 and after spending time with the other man I went back home, where I lived alone because my husband had taken off three months earlier,” she said.

“It was after the attack that I found out that my husband had asked my neighbours to spy on me. They were the ones who told him of my trip to Machakos with the man on the Saturday I conceived.”

A German organisation, Merck, through one of its projects, More than a Mother, had taken Jackline in and built her a two-bedroom house in Kathama village, Machakos County.

“Merck will support Jackeline Mwende throughout the rest of her life to empower and enable her to become an independent productive member in society,” the organisation had said in 2016.

Photo Credit: JEFF ANGOTE | NATION MEDIA GROUP

1. john

February 23, 2017 at 7:46 am

serve her right

• Lola

February 23, 2017 at 8:26 am

Serves her right? But if it was a man that stray,You will say all men are wired to cheat. I don’t pray my enemies meet or marry a monster like you or the victim’s husband. Oshi Radarada

• Bimbo

February 23, 2017 at 1:27 pm

This is after the man took off for three months o! And some fool is still blaming her. Marriage is not by force ! Nobody came from heaven tied to a husband or wife ! If you don’t like your wife’s actions – pls divorce her. I hope the man rots and dies in prison.

2. Madman

February 23, 2017 at 7:48 am

Nigerian women willove this story. They love abusive marriages and they love abusive men.

• le coco

February 23, 2017 at 10:18 am

U sound stupid

• Yeyeperry

February 23, 2017 at 11:51 am

He is mad now.

3. john

February 23, 2017 at 7:49 am

serve her right..i have no pity for this kind of woman bcos if her plan had worked..an innocent man will be raising a child that is not his

• Palesa

February 23, 2017 at 8:03 am

John it suffices to say that you are a monster! No one deserves this. The majority of African men have certain mentality that scares me to my knickers! If he found out her infidelity why didn’t he just divorce her after all he left her 3 months earlier. My God! John I pray your daughter and every other female in your family encounter men worse than you and this animal IJn! Please say Amen john, since you think this is ok.

• john

February 23, 2017 at 11:14 am

so for you to see me hurt , u want and prefer another female to get her hand chopped bcos she is close to me, lol…so much for sisterhood and so called women power and feminism when I say women are full of contradictions and lacks logic and reasoning, they will be angry. okay ,I also pray that your son and brother will marry a whore and raise another mans child unknowingly. .so say Amen

• john

February 23, 2017 at 11:15 am

so for you to see me hurt , u want and prefer another female to get her hand chopped bcos she is close to me, lol…so much for sisterhood and so called women power and feminism when I say women are full of contradictions and lacks logic and reasoning, they will be angry. okay ,I also pray that your son and brother will marry a wayward woman and raise another mans child unknowingly. .so say Amen

• le coco

February 23, 2017 at 1:40 pm

John you r such an attention seeker.. pls shut up nd go away.. God help your wife.. because clearly something is wrong with you

• Mawi

February 24, 2017 at 11:43 am

You are simply an idiot Palesa. I hate women like you who wish evil on innocent people simply to punish someone they dislike. Why would you hope for his daughter & close relatives to suffer for his stupidity? What’s their crime here? You are no different from the monster up there neither are u different from the John u are attacking. Wicked witch. Do u know the wickedness your loved ones have done in the past? How would u feel if u had to suffer for their actions

• AceOfSpades

February 23, 2017 at 9:03 am

John one day you’ll have a daughter and you think it’s not a big deal if after sending her to school and spending so much money, one idiot should just come and cut off her hand? I understand the woman is battling her own demons but cutting off her hand is just not it.

Whatever happened to just letting her go. She’ll be heartbroken, she’ll cry and whatever but is that not better than being deformed for life. If she gets pregnant for him sef, how will she rock their baby without hand? How will she work (when we know most work needs to be done with your hand)? How will she mix baby food? Cook? Wash? Drive? Help child with homework?

This isn’t about male versus female, it isn’t about feminism blah blah. This is just wickedness. If my son does this to any woman, I’ll pay the prosecuting lawyer to help me make sure he is jailed. You think someone who can do this to a woman can’t do something equally awful to a man?

• Cocolette

February 23, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I’m sure u read and ignored the part of the husband absconding 3 months earlier

• Adelle

February 23, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Well maybe you should really check to see if you are your father’s son before applauding a monster for cutting off the hands of a fellow human being. This woman could be your daughter tomorrow or even your sister, mother. Divorcing her was a choice. Shame on you..and if your are a parent or plan to be one, do make sure that your children are really yours.

• Rainbow

February 23, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Dear John, I would have loved to be nice with my comment but I can’t hide the fact that I need to let you know that you are daft with your silly comments. Can you just listen to yourself???
      He chopped off her hands because he “believed” that she couldn’t get pregnant but it happened that he is the one with low sperm count. That’s the mistake a lot of fools like you make thinking it is the woman that cannot get pregnant. How I wish she had walked away, be pregnant and still have her hands.

4. Nakoms

February 23, 2017 at 8:13 am

@John and Madman. Am a man and I apalled by your comment. You guys are bloody fools. Yes I know “talk is cheap” these days and people want to spew their mental sewage allover social media. But I can assure you that talk is not cheap and whatever you say will have consequences one way or another.

Same advice goes to all the sexist idiots, male and female, who come to this platform to spread hate. Realnigerian, Paul adeyemo, lemme rant, chief take note.

Silly rabbits, all of you!

• LemmeRant

February 23, 2017 at 8:53 am

What did I do now?

• Chief

February 23, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Stop buck dancing to these adulterous women!! Stop shoe tap dancing to these manipulative women!! Stop simping to these hypocrites!!Stop cup caking mr man!! Haba!!

5. chychy

February 23, 2017 at 8:45 am

Blame her for what? Did you not read the part that she didn’t get pregnant for her husband for seven year? Did that not tell u something? Obviously something maybe wrong with the man medically and am sure she was under pressure from the said husband. in as much as i did not support what she did, the man in question wasn’t treating her well if he left home 3 months earlier. lets not crucify her joor.

6. LOL

February 23, 2017 at 8:46 am

Hmmm… “The secret lives of baba segi’s wives” kinda situation.

Lol only some will understand.

7. marlee

February 23, 2017 at 8:49 am

“the husband took off 3 month earlier” get that first before talking rubbish. its the man who cannot produce but he is the one forcing and complaining of no babies being born. i dont understand some human.

8. chychy

February 23, 2017 at 8:58 am

I wonder ooo

9. Paul Adeyemo

February 23, 2017 at 9:17 am

Adulterous woman. She would have gotten pregnant and dumped it on the husband. Wicked woman. What stops her from getting divorce from the so called abusive and infertile man. I don’t pity her one bit. The greatest injustice that can be done to any man is for him to raise another man’s child unknowingly. I pray DNA in Nigeria will be 5k naira then you will realise 97% of Nigerian women are adulterous.

• Loh

February 23, 2017 at 9:23 am

You are just sick. Seek help.

• john

February 23, 2017 at 10:44 am

exactly, my point..of course some women will support her bcos they see their adultrous nature in her and also the man didn’t leave her , he works abroad ( like most men). .if you dont like my comment go and hug a transformer..serves her right, I remember the first article about this woman and how she was forming innocent and that she did nothing wrong and the man suddenly wake up and start beating her. .any man that believes a woman version of story is the biggest fool on earth and deserves whatever happens to him.

• Amanda

February 23, 2017 at 10:52 am

What can be inferred from your comment is : Your mother is a liar, grandmother is a liar, your aunts are liars. No one should believe what comes out from their mouth. They are all liars. Who you think is your father might not actually be.

• fidelis

February 23, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Go to hell, thats where suits you well you and the devil are just same, you don’t have humanity in you thats why you are postings this you dont deserve to be near human beings devil!!!!

• i must talk

February 23, 2017 at 10:47 am

Dear Paul, you sound heart broken! a google search shows you are presently raising 49 kids whose DNA is traced to sambisa forest. poor you! #ayan buruku#

• Paul Adeyemo

February 23, 2017 at 11:03 am

Bastard

• john

February 23, 2017 at 10:47 am

the worst thing that can happen to any man is to invest and raise a kid that is not yours..The real victim is the man and I understand his pain

10. Iyke

February 23, 2017 at 9:39 am

Fair enough..Her reasons for getting pregnant was a bold and courageous move. I like that.
    I would be interested to know how long she’s been married with her husband and if she had made effort to conceive in her marriage with her husband before this.

• Ruby

February 23, 2017 at 10:11 am

Can’t you read?

• o

February 23, 2017 at 11:41 am

Ermmmm……7 years

• Iyke

February 23, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Oh thanks.. Actually didn’t read the story (busy day at work) but admire her bravery and courage to stand her truth.

11. Temi

February 23, 2017 at 10:26 am

She would have gotten pregnant and dumped it on the husband who left her 3 months before? Wow. You sound so smart – not!

12. Prince

February 23, 2017 at 10:27 am

Some people are just pathetic. The husband left her months before she even started dating this very person abi una no dey read.
    I’m glad she OK.

• Paul Adeyemo

February 23, 2017 at 10:37 am

mumu. Just to get likes from – on this forum.

• Amanda

February 23, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Aww poor boy. It must really hurt you, chief and john to see a fellow guy have a different view from yours. You are so threatened that you had to resort to calling him a mumu. Take this Kleenex. You sure need it.

13. john

February 23, 2017 at 10:50 am

the worst thing that can happen to any man is to invest and raise a kid that is not yours and women dont seem to understand bcos they think they are clever ..it always backfires..The real victim is the man and I understand his pain bcos I have seen someone close to me gone through the same pain and anguish and I dont even wish that on my enemies so if u dont like my comment , go hug a transformer

14. Chief

February 23, 2017 at 10:54 am

I agree with your [email protected],paul Adeyemo,lemme rant and mad man.Y’all are real men.It’s sad that few men on this blog act like women.It makes me sick.These white knights won’t pass up an opportunity to stand up for women’s respect and honor.Don’t get me wrong,violence in general is absolutely reprehensible and disgusting but this one she deserved it.The invasion of feminist psychological program operation on men. White knights make me sick.What a bunch of self hating p****y hungry slaves.These white knights are physical enforcers of gynocentrism and they can do anything to get females attention and validation.

With the rise of equality,weak men(Wimps) have been told they should have sympathy for every issue that a woman has.Nonsense!! Today’s society tell us that men should be sweat,sensitive,romantic and other bullshit.More nonsense!.It’s easy to be a white knight nowadays,right? Women tell you that’s what they want,society likes you and women won’t dislike you.Utterly rubbish!! Actually i have no issues with simps being simps to disagree with us real men but have nothing to say when BN feminists soldiers attack us with their AK 47’s in comments section..The most dangerous men on planet are simps.eniemies of real “ALPHA” men and betrayers(traitors) of real men.I don’t know why these manginas and simps attack us for our masculinity?

I don’t know why these white knights attempt to condition real men by shaming them in line with gynocentrism? Shame to any man or woman who supports this woman despicable crime.Many men have a false idea of what it means to be a real man because they have been emasculated by their woman,one or both of their parents especially mothers.

A real man put his wife in check,only take care of his own offspring,doesn’t take care of another man’s child/children.You see why a woman cheating on his man is dangerous. Women cheating is more damaging.A real man doesn’t want his woman get f*** by another man….simple

• m

February 23, 2017 at 11:04 am

real men indeed mtcheew

• Amanda

February 23, 2017 at 11:10 am

You and your fellow croonies (john,paul Adeyemo,lemme rant and mad man) definition of being a man is: domestic abuse, raping women/men, molesting your children and nieces, sleeping around like a dog who has no control of his penis, infecting your wife with STD’s). You guys have blatantly defended rape on this site so I am not surprised. Any man who isn’t in support or doing any of these things is referred to as a woman. You are threatened that a fellow man decided to call you out and treat your fuck-up.

• Chinyere Nwaoko

February 23, 2017 at 11:24 am

lame comment … very dry

• Miss B

February 23, 2017 at 11:53 am

You are a disgrace.

• Donald-Landon-24(formerly known as Donald-Landon before someone purloined it)

February 23, 2017 at 11:56 am

You are a boy.

• Eni

February 23, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Bella, please!!!! We URGENTLY need a dislike button.
      Chief, you are just a typical African man with an overinflated sense of entitlement. I can just imagine what your poor wife must be suffering in your hands. Same goes to Paul Adeyemo, Madman, John.
      You think when you rubbish women and their struggles, it makes you a strong man? You are WEAK!!!! Yes, WEAK!!!! Because you are one of those people who rejoice at the predicament of others even though it makes no difference to their own situation. No matter what this woman did, she didn’t deserve for her hands to be chopped off. If my husband cheats on me or fathers a child with another woman, will I cut his penis? if your sister in law cuts off your brother’s penis for such a reason, will you applaud her and say your brother deserves it? And if your future daughter in law, does the same, will you go on your knees to thank God because your son deserves it.
      I’m sure you have sisters and daughters. Just be careful because your words are your possessions and the things you spew on this blog can come to pass in your household.

• Oce

February 24, 2017 at 12:01 am

Wish I can like ur comment a 1000 times

• Hawt talk With Tosan

February 23, 2017 at 10:28 pm

She deserves it? Please how many men who have double crossed you or have been disloyal to you have you chopped off their hands. If we go about chopping hands of people who have wronged us no one will be able to type these comments.

I always find it so intriguing how pained men are when a women steps out of her marriage/relationship for whatever reason. E dey pain abi? Women too can find comfort in the arms of another…many of us chose not to; not because you guys deserve it but mostly for religion and/or integrity.

This reply is to all the people who said she deserved it!

• vivadrew

February 24, 2017 at 1:04 pm

And neither do a Real Woman would accept her man *get f******ked” by another woman…..simple!

15. Paul Adeyemo

February 23, 2017 at 11:03 am

bloody adulterous Naija women supporting their fellow adulterous woman. Shame on all of you. You will all be exposed and disgrace in due time

• Yeyeperry

February 23, 2017 at 11:57 am

Poor baby. who hurt you?

• Eni

February 23, 2017 at 2:03 pm

You whose middle name is adultery, who has cut off your tiny member?

• Eni

February 23, 2017 at 2:04 pm

That was for the shameless Paul. And he’s name is Paul!

• vivadrew

February 24, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Wipe your tears my little Paul Adeyemo. Grow up and be a man!

16. Jade Edo babe

February 23, 2017 at 11:25 am

It’s obvious, the man is the problem low sperm counts, whatever the problem is with him. She got pregnant by another man easily. Men are the problem when it comes infertility sometimes but women are easily blamed.
    It would have been another sad story of women who stepped out got pregnant and pretended it’s their husband baby. A lot of cases like that. And you know we women can keep secret, take it to our graces

17. o

February 23, 2017 at 11:48 am

If she was the one that had the issue, best believe the man would have fathered at least two kids in those 7 years. What she did was wrong, but Yorubas say ogun ori fifo ko ni ori bibe (the solution to a headache is not cutting off the head). Note that she wasn’t pregnant as at the time he beat her, or rather it wasn’t public knowledge. He was livid she cheated on him. He should have just allowed her go her way jejely. Chopping off her hands was too severe. She also should have left the marriage.

This brings us back to the unnecessary pressure on couples to have biological kids. It’s very good but in a situation where that can’t happen, pls adopt or use donor eggs or sperm.

18. Bimbo

February 23, 2017 at 1:35 pm

When you see broke guys who aren’t getting beta chicks you already know them . The ones who need their women to step down because they can’t step up !

19. messylove

February 23, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Hmmmm the man shld get himself checked, its mean he cannot produce yet he put the blame on d woman.

20. Peaches77

February 23, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Chai! Her ex/husband had low sperm count?

21. Sisi

February 23, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Two wrongs never make a right and the one wrong is still not right. There are so many facets to this, two things are clear – the woman stepped out on her marriage in desperation, the man committed a gross act of babaric violence. None of these acts can be excused, one seems by human standards out of proportion to another. From reproductive education, acceptance of divorce as an option, women’s rights, marriages with strong communication and compassion – this situation could have been avoided. Very unfortunate, how will she raise this child now?