News

15-year Old Suspected Ex Wife of a Boko Haram Commander Shares Heartbreaking Details of how She Contracted HIV & Developed VVF

Fatima (Left) and Amina

The Borno  Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps ( NSCDC), said it has arrested a 15-year -old girl, Fatima K. believed to be a former wife of a Boko Haram factional leader, Mamman Nur.

The Commandant of NSCDC in Borno, Ibrahim Abdu, disclosed this while briefing newsmen in Maiduguri on Tuesday.

He said that the girl was arrested by the intelligence unit of the corps in company of another teenage girl, Amina S. in Maiduguri.

Abdu said they were suspected to have been smuggled out of Sambisa forest to Maiduguri to wreak havoc on innocent civilians.

The commandant said that medical test proved that she is four months pregnant and infected with HIV.

The NSCDC commandant said that the girls were found loitering at the popular Kano motor park in Maiduguri metropolis.

He said that upon extensive interrogation, they confessed to have been sneaked into Maiduguri for possible suicide attacks.

The commandant explained that after proper investigation, the command would hand them over to the appropriate authority for the next line of action.

Speaking with newsmen, the girls denied being on any suicide mission, saying they escaped from the Boko Haram camp in Sambisa and surrendered to the troops in Bita village, Gwoza local government area of Borno.

He added that Amina had equally admitted to being married to two different Boko Haram members in Sambisa forest.

Speaking to The Nation in an interview, Fatiman said she was introduced to the group by her brother, Ibrahim Fadagana, in 2013.

“My brother took us from Maiduguri to Sambisa forest where he introduced us to Abubakar Shekau. Things did not go well at the camp as most of the people did not like Shekau’s brutal treatment of abductees and sect members in the camp. There was a lot of death in the camp. Children died of dehydration and malnutrition.

So, there was a lot of disagreement between Shekau and Mamman Nur and Nur refused to accept Shekau’s policies. So they broke up. My brother (Fadagana) was a close friend to Mamman Nur, so he stood as my father and got me married to him (Mamman Nur). I was married to him in 2013. I was 12 years old at the period.

On the wedding night, Mamman Nur forced himself into me and destroyed my vagina {which led to me having Vesico Vaginal Fistulae (VVF)}. I was sick for a while, but I became better.

In that same year, 2013, he left me to participate in an arms and military training program in Libya. I couldn’t wait for him, so I immediately got married to Habib, a member from Bauchi State.

Habib later ran away because he was marked for execution. He was suspected to be an informant for the Nigerian government. So he deserted me and absconded from the camp.

I later got married again to one Ali Bama. He was not a Commanding Officer. He was just an ordinary member like the others.

He has protected me and provided food for me at our Sagil Huda camp in Sambisa Forest. I am presently carrying his (baby).

The men always sleep in the afternoon and do marathon sex with all the girls for the whole night. Only those that are married are safe.

At a point I became sick, so a French doctor came to check on me. He gave me some drugs and said I must be taking it from time to time.

I learnt that I was infected with HIV. I don’t know if I got it from the marathon sex or from the three husbands I married. My current husband, Bama, was also taking his own drugs just like me before I left our base. We are both infected,” she said.

Fatima narrated how she fled their base in Sambisa Forest following an assault on their base by the Nigerian Military Joint Task Force (JTF)

“We ran away from Sagil Huda because the army came and stormed our camp and killed many of our members. Right now, my mission is to go and meet my brother Fadagana, he is at Kangarwa with Mamman Nur. I have Mamman Nur’s phone number, I have been communicating with him. My plan is to go and meet him,” she said.

Amina also corroborated Fatima’s story saying she hailed from Gulak town in Adamawa but was abducted and taken to Sambisa two years ago.

1. Canary

April 19, 2017 at 2:34 pm

This is so sick and sad. French doctor too – no words

• Fleur

April 19, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Wondering…. is the french doctor working for BH or he is in the city running a free clinic?

2. akissi

April 19, 2017 at 2:56 pm

These issues break my heart. She was just 12 when married off; still a baby. Then to go through what she had to go through. A baby on the way and HIV positive plus she had gone through hell at the camp. What kind of life will she or the child have? Why can’t people have a heart like Jesus? What joy do these people gain? How do you look at a 12 year old and get aroused? and then these pedophile terrorists believe they are human!! I HATE pedophiles with all the strength in my self and forefathers!

3. o

April 19, 2017 at 3:06 pm

So sad????

4. Tee

April 19, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Omg, from the age of 12? This poor girl never had the chance to be a child. Illiteracy and religious fanaticism is a curse! I wonder who this French Doctor is who has access to Boko Harams camp to treat them and how he got there.

Nigeria. Sometimes I wonder whether we have a future. Look at this 15 year old… and there are many girls and boys like her.

5. rain

April 19, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Northern Nigeria problem- Underage marriage and pregnancy . extreme islamist and lack of education for both male and female

• nnenne

April 19, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Well, southern Eastern Nigerians got their problems too… Kidnapping, security, having to deal with indigenous people displaced from the North, unemployment etc. We all have problems!

6. TrueTalk

April 19, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Please don’t describe her as an ex wife; that humanises those monsters. The poor child was kidnapped and raped. I mean ‘marathon sex’ did she really use those words?

7. mulikat

April 19, 2017 at 4:57 pm

this kids life is finish, @ 15, force married to 3 Boko Haram men ,3 times. with VVF, HIV and pregant, OMG, is finish for her.after Boko Haram ,Northern part of naija will be new headquter of HIV and Boko Harams kids,later in future again terro DNA,God safe them .better we all move away or in short break into 4-5 parts, cos another monster race is call Niger- Delter kidnapping yoruba people in Ogun and Lagos state.

8. Skelewu

April 19, 2017 at 5:08 pm

I am so sorry my dear our government has failed you, a mere 15 year old married 3 times ? sometimes I don’t understand what is going on in this country, how is she in constant communication with her brother and Mamman Nur a Boko Haram leader and no one has arrested them. Why are they free and walking about with mobile phones, this country is finished completely.

9. Suga

April 19, 2017 at 8:52 pm

These Northern Nigerians eeeh, only God will save them from themselves. Live really means nothing to them.

10. Dash

April 20, 2017 at 12:07 am

So she told them she has been in communication with a terrorist and has his fone number and the very intelligent security agency in formed all of us including the terrorist . Kudos

11. Marian

April 20, 2017 at 12:34 am

The french doctor is probably with Doctors without borders.

Life can be so unfair mehn. Buhari is from the north and i’m yet to see him, his wife or any member of his family speak against the abomination that’s going on over there.

To all the people still wandering why we need to talk about equality well think of this poor girl and know that 12 year old boys are allowed to be boys and not fathers/husbands.