Scoop

Adunni Ade opens up about Life as a Single Parent, Overcoming Personal Obstacles, Finding Love & More in Latest Issue of Motherhood In-Style Magazine

BellaNaija.com

Multi-talented actress, Adunni Ade and her handsome sons, 9-year-old D’Marion and 5-year-old Ayden, are the cover stars for the latest issue of Motherhood In-Style Magazine.

In this exclusive interview with MIM, Adunni puts away the entertainer we already love and lets us see the person we hardly know. She opens up on life as a single parent, how she disciplines, why she quit America’s Next Top Model and details of her personal challenges she has never shared before.

Read some excerpts from the interview:

On the father of her children: Well, I just had to make that decision though it took me a long time to realise or stop lying to myself that it was never going to work out even though I tried as much as I could. I just decided that what’s best for me is to walk away and still be here and be with my kids and still have the opportunity of being the best mother possible, so yeah, I had to make that decision. It was really tough, it was really painful; I think that hurt me the most out of anything that I have ever been through in my life, walking away was the hardest thing to do. We were never married. We were together for 8 years but in the state of Kentucky, it’s a common wealth state and common wealth state is if you live together for a long period of time you might as well be considered married but on paper, no, never been married before.

On dealing with depression as a result of her relationship: I think the major thing that got me through was the fear that somebody else would raise my children if I sat in that relationship, that was the scariest thing for me, that my kids would see somebody else as their mother. Depression is no joke. A lot of people in this country, Nigeria, don’t want to admit that depression is an illness. People don’t know the extent to which it affects the mind. Not a lot of people know this; in the past I have tried to commit suicide because it was just too much, just too much for me but I guess God loves me enough to still keep me here.

On being a single mum in Nigeria: Well, even before I moved back I definitely didn’t like placing myself in that ‘single mother’ status. I’m a parent. Yes, it takes two to become a parent but hey, when it’s one, let that one do the best they can. Now, how I have been able to cope in Nigeria? The same way I was able to cope in the States, doing it all by myself. I am truly happy that I experienced certain things over there in the States. If I had experienced those things here in Nigeria, I probably would have just killed myself long time ago because this country is tough. But as tough as this country and its people are, I’m also a tough cookie and I never give up. If I set my mind to do something, regardless of what it is, I will get it done. The time for myself is gone, when you have kids it’s not about you anymore, it becomes about the other lives that you have brought into this world so my main focus, my main goal is about my children and they have been my drive and my motivation from day one.

Credits:
Adunni: Nude jumpsuit with black lace details by Diva Lukky | Strapless Metallic Maxi Dress by biddy’s Mondo
Kids: Ruff ‘n’ Tumble
Makeup: Brushstrokes
Stylist: Hyperfashun
Hair Stylist: Laben Hair Concept
Photography: Gbenga Akindele-Nelly for Kelechi Amadi Obi Studio

1. Ify

April 5, 2017 at 11:04 am

I’ve loved this woman ever since she replied Toyin Aimakhu on IG for bashing single mothers. The kids are so handsome.

2. MrsO

April 5, 2017 at 11:24 am

Such a beautiful woman.. and those boys! phewww.. lady, you are blessed oo.. May your husband locate you soon IJN.

3. keke driver

April 5, 2017 at 11:36 am

CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

4. Disguised

April 5, 2017 at 11:38 am

All I see is great woman raising her children.. Cute cute cute cute. Some married ladies raise their children alone even with a husband being present. Some are scared of being called “single mum” by the society bullies. Hiss!!

Adunni hun ure doing a GREAT job.

Always do what’s best for YOU and children. God help us all

5. Xristybabes

April 5, 2017 at 11:52 am

Even 85% of the so called married women with husbands raise their kids all alone.i just love you Ma’am.keep being you and forget what the society thinks about you.

6. ejogene

April 5, 2017 at 12:20 pm

What a beautiful woman and your boys are everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah umu oma!

7. Mz Titilitious

April 5, 2017 at 12:46 pm

So cute!

8. Diamond

April 5, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I love love love this woman! God keep you, provide and guide you to continue to raise your boys right. Your sons will grow and make you proud. You will never shed a tear because of them. Amen.
    I say this prayer for her and every other single parent out there. God bless your hustle.

See me even wishing I have a child already, as I am still single at 30. But everybody’s story and circumstance is different.

9. Nkechi

April 5, 2017 at 6:12 pm

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE how adunni is just in her own lane silently building her brand…Nothing as good as putting in the work in silence…Im certain she’ll go far.

10. PD Young Billionaire

April 6, 2017 at 12:13 am

Beautiful woman.Her boys are so cute….

11. EWA ALI

April 6, 2017 at 7:53 am

I can feel her pain, I pray that a wealth Loving man with no emotional baggage will locate you ….and me too o?

12. OA

April 8, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I think she meant to say Kentucky is a common law state i.e. common law marriage state where after many years of cohabiting and holding yourself out as married, and possibly plan to marry, you are considered married!