Style

#BNFroFriday: 10 Times Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Proved She is The Naturalista Queen that Reigns Supreme

Angel Obasi

Best-selling author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is definitely our favourite African ‘fro queen right now. Since the first time we saw her and her lovely afro, we have had nothing but love for the activist and her mane.

The way she rocks her natural hair with pride and confidence gives us joy. From leaving out her ‘fro, to high buns and side parts, this naturalista’s styling game will leave you in awe.

Chimamanda has always been a woman to look up to, either as a feminist or as an author telling African stories with her authentic African voice. Today on #BNFroFriday we are spotlighting this natural beauty in all her glory and we couldn’t be more proud of our own.

Photo Credit: GettyImages| Michael Loccisano, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Angel is a Fashion and Style blogger and loves to be described as a woman with creativity and grace. Angel is a Mass Communication graduate with a degree from North American University. All things Fashion, Beauty and Architectural Designs are her thing.Follow her on Instagram @styleconnaisseur

1. The Real Oma

April 21, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Her hair is gorgeous and she has such a beautiful smile.

2. fee

April 21, 2017 at 5:07 pm

This kain headline na wa…

3. Chief

April 21, 2017 at 5:09 pm

@Bellanaija….

What do you mean by telling African stories? Is she entitled to speak for all African women because she obtained a western certificate? I noticed she has taken it upon herself to be the unsolicited spokesperson for African women.There’s no reason to take social advice from her.Why do we need to listen or take seriously what she has to say about African culture? Africa doesn’t need an opinionated women like her in discussions about the future of an authentic African culture.We are saying NO to her attempt to impose a foreign culture on us.Never!!If care is not taken our African culture will soon run into extinction.

BN stop pissing me off with her articles,interviews,pictures and also stop promoting this misandrist that’s spreading ideological message that the western elites hope would emasculate African men to make it easy to dominate African women first and ultimately enslave our manhood..She and her western sociological terminology has no kin in African culture.Her forceful imposition of western cultural lifestyle on us is strongly discouraged and we as Africans must learn to unlearn such detrimental Western philosophies.African women are nowhere oppressed,chained or forced to labor. ..period

Honestly this lady makes me sick to my stomach

• tunmi

April 21, 2017 at 5:24 pm

hol up, hol up

this is BN’s fault. I saw the title and I said “haba”
      BN….Angel Obasi…Africa is a continent. Africa is not Nigeria and Nigeria is not Africa. Abeg, please ehn. We also make the mistake others do in calling one specific nation Africa. I understand our intent in referring to our place of origin, but she tells Nigerian stories. And by some extension (not for Nigerians to extend) African stories.

…she didn’t take it upon herself to “be the unsolicited spokesperson for African women”. She garners a lot more publicity (that you know of).

OMGosh I just realized I replied to @Chief.

Anyways, Nigeria not Africa.
      Also Beverly Naya has kinda been doing this natural hair thing in Naija since she’s been here sooo…….

• June

April 21, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Err… ok. We have heard you. Should we fry plantain for y or akara for you ??

• wendy

April 21, 2017 at 5:50 pm

plantain. Abeg put some hot stew with fish on top too…

• Bae

April 21, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Chief and when did you become the spokesperson for Africans??? What is “we Africans”?
      Pls remind me Chief of where again……

• Engoz

April 21, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Buhaha I’m very happy she makes you sick in the stomach. She’s obviously doing something right.

• smh

April 21, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Shut up you bitter troll. At what point has she emasculated African men? If her advocating for the rights of women in Africa is emasculating to the African men you know then I feel sorry for you and them. You feel sick to your stomach because you continue to contribute nothing to the world and make no impact whatsoever and the sight of someone doing the exact opposite invokes jealousy and self hate. get a life

• Chief

April 21, 2017 at 10:22 pm

@smh

I find your comment insulting,don’t ever tell me to” shut up” again,if you don’t have respect for the man in your life please don’t throw insult to every man you come across.You see why i hate you feminists,you get offended too easily and make women look crazy,you claim to want equality but expect special treatment.

Anyway,her so called African feminism is an unreality a fiction that is the product of western educated Africans like her trying her best to be relevant in Africa.Where are men in Africa oppressing women in Africa? Are there any evidence that proves this? What evidence show this? For me It’s just a talk and no real issue.We have women in positions of power in Africa.The problem is that some misguided Africans view western culture with awe and respect where as they despise and reject their own African culture as inferior.Yes it emasculates men because feminists want men to become feminized and sensitive

@ Engoz

Don’t allow yourself to be radicalized by her. I ‘ve asked you and ‘ll still ask you again,What are you fighting for? what is she doing right? Advocating for women or hating men/Killing patriarchy?

• Jade Edo babe

April 21, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Chief why u dey vex, why woman mata pain you.
      I laugh when African men get intimidated when African women say no more of their male chauvisnistic and imposed ways on women.
      Anyway, there were strong Nigerian feminists before chimamanda. She’s just more popular and redefining it. I can count how many feminists in my family, older aunts even my own mom. The difference is it’s not a movement or trend it’s their lifestyle.
      African women are feminists who embrace being a woman that’s where we differ from western feminism.
      I’m not here to be like a man, I love being a woman but we are equal human beings maybe different roles which is all about respect.

• Chy

April 21, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Go and take several seats. stop the hate, it will do you more harm than good.

• Iris

April 22, 2017 at 3:53 am

Lmfao. I skimmed over the comment and was thinking ‘omo what did she do to you?’
      Then i saw who made the comment
      Lol no shocker there.

4. Idomagirl

April 21, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Bae…❤

5. Tru

April 21, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Loving her hair…. #Inspired #Target

6. funmilola

April 21, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Her smile, her confidence, her charisma….??????

7. Bad gang

April 21, 2017 at 7:11 pm

We should all advocate for equality of the sexes abeg…leave matter… no lite equality…men and women should be subjected to the same level of opportunities, incentives, labour, judgement etc no more no less for any of the sexes… in a crisis, preference should be given to children, the old, the sick and the challanged not based on gender…if men must be conscripted in the military women too must suffer the same fate…as regards nigeria, men must stand up to this bride price menace and women must have the power to choose to take their husband’s lastname…children’s lastname?? (I don’t have an intelligent answer)…men should have paternity leave but maybe not as long as women, we shouldn’t leave all the work of nuturing to women alone…ministry of women affairs should be disbanded (we don’t even have a ministry of children’s affairs) I hear women can’t bail in nigeria, I don’t know how true but if it is we must fight it to a stop…. culturally, women should start popping the question and wooing…swallow your pride and shrink your egos…NO LITE EQUALITY

8. Bad gang

April 21, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Her hair looks good by the way♥♥♥

9. Ottawa Queen

April 21, 2017 at 10:57 pm

She’s gorgeous and smart. I really admire her.

10. Toju

April 22, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Her hair is lit but there are many other nigrerian naturalistas that make me want to stop relaxing my hair: Adesua Etomi, Tuke Morgan, Beverly Haha and Whitney Madueke, Natural Hair on Fleek

11. Moyo

April 23, 2017 at 11:05 am

Love her hair but it’s her make up game I just can’t get enough of, her powder blends with her skin. Can she please just drop brand names.