News

Couple Charged with Abuse and Neglect after their 3-month son was Hospitalised with Broken bones

Arinola Olawusi (left) and Olalekan Olawusi (right). Photo Credit: Providence Police

A Rhode Island couple Olalekan, 40 and Arinola Olawusi, 33, have been arraigned over child abuse and neglect after it was discovered that their 3-month old child Tobiloba Olawusi had old and new injuries that suggested assault.

Providence Journal reports that Olalekan, had on Monday, dialed 911 saying his child wasn’t breathing.

Providence police say firefighters resuscitated the baby after finding out that he didn’t have a pulse.

When Tobiloba was rushed to Hasbro Children’s Hospital, it was discovered that he had bite marks and a fractured skull, broken ribs, arms and legs.

The infant’s current condition is unknown.

The head of Child Abuse unit of Providence police, Special Assistant Attorney General Shannon Signore, said Arinola, in her statement revealed that Olalekan bit the baby and pulled his legs to “make him grow and strong.”

A District Court judge granted $40,000 bail with surety to Olalekan and ordered him to surrender his Nigerian passport.

The couple were also ordered not to have any contact with the baby.

Spokesperson of the state Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF), Denis Riel revealed that the Olawusis’ first child was taken away at birth and is in foster care.

Arinola is the author of a book: “A-Z Ways to Achieve Your Goals In Life,” which she described as “a simple, alphabetical and practical… to motivate and build your confidence into realizing your life goals.”

In her ‘about the author’ section she says:

Arinola Olawusi is…. very passionate about knowledge and information along with motivating and encouraging the hurting. A gifted motivational speaker and a strong believer in the Word. Arinola is always willing to give back to her community whenever the Lord gives her the opportunity. When she is not writing, she is involved with helping pregnant and worried women and their children. She currently resides in Providence, Rhode Island. She is happily married to Bro Olalekan Olawusi and their home is blessed with a loving son.

1. Fear God...

April 7, 2017 at 1:37 pm

How does anyone hurt a child in the way that was described? How much more one’s own child!!!

2. Pekelepekele

April 7, 2017 at 2:50 pm

God should tie wombs of women like these.

3. Kelly

April 7, 2017 at 2:58 pm

These ones are mad.

4. Thelma

April 7, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Not every woman who gives birth to a child is a mother. These people clearly have serious mental issues. And to think she peddles herself as a motivational speaker? SMH

5. anon

April 7, 2017 at 6:23 pm

You See dem. After they claim Woman/man of god.

6. Ewa Ali

April 7, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Mental Illness is real, I know the wife, she is one of the nicest human being, but she has mental illness from University, no normal human would accuse her spouse of biting and pulling baby legs.

From the pictures you would have noticed that the husband must have been crying and the wife has a blank stare.
    Pls dont be quick to judge!

Pray for this family pls!!

• Segun Adebambo

April 8, 2017 at 1:08 am

thank you so much for lighten my worry over severe comments people have been passing all around media over Arin n her husband issue. Arin is my personal person n her husband is known to me as well in Rhode Island, I’m aware she has mental illness n she is on prescription drugs. I pray the baby in this case will not die n God will intervene in the plight of his parents.
      God bless you Ewa

7. Modupe

April 8, 2017 at 10:29 am

Arinola is a friend of mine. I’ve known her over 20 years. We still spoke on Saturday. She’s one lady who I know with a good heart and intentions for herself and those around her. It’s unfortunate that her health has been a challenge for years and like it is, anything could have triggered a relapse.

No woman, with the burden of carrying one pregnancy, not to talk of two can inflict harm on her child.

Arin needs prayers and all the support she can get. Friends in here, I appeal to you to be mindful of your comments. Let’s condemn the act and not the people involved,

For you Arinola my friend and your husband, I speak to every raging storm in your life and I’m your home. May the Lord, whom you serve, come through for you. May He grant you favour and redeem you from every destruction. He will restore you completely and make your name great! This trial will lead to your triumph in life. Your children will prosper and the Lord will preserve your lot. Mercy will prevail over judgement and your voice over your children will not be silenced! Your place will not be taken by another and the by the blood of Jesus I call you victorious! I love you my dear friend, I wish I knew what was going on when we spoke on Saturday but God has made a way for your deliverance IJN!

I will welcome you back to a place of peace and hear your voice tell me of those wonderful plans of yours on how you want to be a blessing to this world in the name of Jesus!

It is well ???

I

8. Bukola

April 8, 2017 at 1:11 pm

This is so surprising.I grew up with Lekan.He is like an older brother to me.Lekan will never hurt a fly.he is a very good man and he is a Christian.God will bring him out of this mess.

9. OA

April 8, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Forensic tests will reveal whose bite marks are on the child. Clearly, there are some serious issues here and many unanswered questions. If the first child was taken away at birth and is in foster care, how manage with getting pregnant again with a second child? If she could not take care of the first, why would the state allow her to keep the second child? Perhaps her mental health condition had improved by her being on medication, etc. Child birth is already very delicate and can throw even the least seemingly person over the edge (post-partum depression), not to talk of someone who is already predisposed. She probably stopped using her meds after the baby was born because it was likely hindering her ability to take full care of the baby. My question is, how come the husband did not see what she was doing to the baby? Well, maybe he was trying to protect his wife, but at the expense of the child’s life?

10. Ayoronke

April 10, 2017 at 2:11 pm

I have known Aarinola for about 20years.. She is one of the brightest yet humble beings.. She loves God and humanity at large…

Even with her health challenge she never stops thinking of how to add value to others.. Always quick to volunteer to help troubled women – I really hope the troubled souls she has stood in the gap for can stand for her now…

To think she still made valuable contributions on our alumni group few hours to this ugly incident is unsettling. She was also on the phone with another friend on Saturday discussing great future plans.

Please help pray for my dear friend and her husband, that’s what they require now and not your condemnation and judgement. Only God knows what went wrong…

Aarinola, I am joining other girls to stand in the gap for you. You will come out strong and affliction will never rise again in your life. Oluwatobiloba and his brother will live, thrive and bring your joy. AMEN