Relationships

Exclusive: Opeyemi Olarinde Speaks on Allegations from Social Media Accounts against her Estranged Husband OAP Freeze | Audio

Freeze & Opeyemi at the Encomium Black & White Ball in 2013

Opeyemi, the estranged wife of Ifedayo Olarinde (popularly known as Freeze) reached out to BellaNaija to tell her own truth concerning the events that led to their separation.

She said she wouldn’t have a stranger speak up for her as two social media accounts with the same name – @andelasmith – have been making several allegations against Freeze in the past couple of days. Read about them here and here.

With the permission of her children, Opeyemi has shared her own side of the story.

See excerpts below:

On their marital status:
I am still in court with him. Our divorce is not final, we’ve not even had a trial. The issue now is the last time we went to court the judge wanted to speak to our children (as they) were also involved in the abuse. My son has a kneecap that was broken when he tried to cover me when his father was beating me. He is just learning how to walk properly again and started playing football in January.
A lot has happened and I’ve kept quiet because I don’t know how to handle this. I kind of saw all this coming tho because when I was leaving he threatened me that if I left he will destroy me on social media because he has the power to do so as I am nothing and he is everything and there was no way I was going to survive without him.

On how are kids are coping with this:
We went on holiday to an African country and when we got back the first thing my daughter to me “Mummy I’m so glad this is the house we came back to, and not VI.” This is a situation where there was abuse every day.
A year before I left I had to stay in my marriage and be called Benedicta. I have enough evidence with my lawyers that will show all the abuse I went through. He cursed my son for covering me up while he was hitting me. My kids are in a much better place now and are happy. We live in a better situation and a more positive environment.

My kids and I watched an interview he did and thankfully they didn’t cry. They just laughed. I thank God that they are healing.

On why she has decided to speak up now:
He is the only man I’ve ever known for that long, so I didn’t exactly know how to handle what happened to me. There was no go-to book or counsellor; my not responding then was me broken, confused and lost. He used to beat me and put her on speaker phone and say “look I’m beating her and she has refused to leave” then she would scream at me to get out of the house. But I didn’t have anywhere to go.
I had no exit strategy but at the end of the day, I had to leave because if I had died that is how the story would have ended.

Right now reading all that stuff I read yesterday (Wednesday), I have no idea who the person is behind the Twitter account, but I am not a coward and if someone has come out with 100% truth of what happened, then I will speak up.

A stranger can’t be fighting for me and I’m quiet, so I decided to come out and say yes it is true. He was given a court order to stop humiliating me on social media but he hasn’t stopped.

I asked them (my kids) for their permission before I did this interview and my daughter goes “mummy you’ve been quiet, and it’s almost like you are afraid of him” My son said “mummy you’re afraid of daddy even though we’ve left” I had to let them know I’m not afraid of him and that’s why I’ve decided to speak up.

On why he is doing what he’s doing:
He was born into an abusive family, so I sort of understood where he was coming from. That was one of the reasons why I stayed so long. Even when people asked why I stayed with him when I was admitted into the hospital in 2006, I told them this was someone I basically grew up with, there was so much we had ahead of us so I wasn’t going to walk out on him.

If not for my kids I can assure you I would have still stayed and he would have killed me, just because I didn’t have anywhere to go. He kept everybody away from me. I  think he is disturbed, and this may be his own way of crying out for help.

OAP Freeze had previously shared his side of the story. We hope they find peace and compromise soon.

Listen to the exclusive interview with BellaNaija below:

1. Lola

April 22, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Opeyemi thank you for finally speaking out. We that knew you both in ISI and UI vouched for you. We knew he told lies against you. It’s obvious ife dayo is a disturbed person. God will look after you and your children. Keep your head up

• osa

April 22, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Poor her. The truth is now coming out.

Freeze is obviously irresponsible. I knew he fabricated things in that stupid interview he granted.
      Person who pmany girls claim he toasted them whilst married to this opeyemi woman. He talks too much and meddles in the affairs of others he is pnot close to just to firm association with them e.g the tiwa savage teebillz suicide incident. Evidence of an imbalanced human.

• Osa

April 23, 2017 at 2:40 am

Pastor Adeboye’s God is at work.
      Bible says do my prophets no harm. How can you indict an elderly man even if he is not a man of God

• kathy

April 22, 2017 at 6:48 pm

This girl in UI was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen #fact. I cant even reconcile her in this picture with the Ope of about 20 years ago

• Tare

April 22, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Their story is surprising…. they dated for a long time. In UI they seem extremely close and Ope was very pretty in Ui. She added so much weight and i guess the beating robbed off her beauty. She not as pretty as before

To think the marriage became a mess is shocking…i guess with small fame freeze became a monster and Ope too is very rude and snobbish

2. Serving tea

April 22, 2017 at 3:41 pm

BN now getting exlusive scoop??? Imust be dreaming oh…lol!!!

No more “according to” or “in a blog post by xyz” or “our sources said…..lmao!! Good job BN, no more copy & paste.

Now on to this tea…wawu!!! Aunty no be small thing u suffer oh, chai!!! The kids were involved too,…ugh!! Shame on you and freeze for that. He is a monster but aunty u aint innocent for dragging kids in here.
    Allow them have their opinion in court and not uses as references in ur tell all.

• o

April 22, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Its a blue moon today re BN and exclusive scoop ???

3. Compromise!!!

April 22, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Ok BN first and foremost they are no longer a couple and there is no need to complete your article with shoddy one liners if you have nothing better to say. My dear woman speak up against this bully, show him he has no more power over you. Your children are behind you do forget about those will say think about them before washing your linen in public.

4. Sexy O

April 22, 2017 at 3:55 pm

So ‘daddy’ freeze is a wife molester!!! Not surprised. Saw him awhile back and he had this air of arrogance. Let’s hear better story ooo. So tired of all this celebrity marriage palava.

• lawee

April 23, 2017 at 4:19 am

“Abusive family” :his estranged wife is a liar !

you need to meet ifedayo´s (freeze) medical doctor father : a gentle and nice man to the core.

5. Hmm

April 22, 2017 at 4:03 pm

And the so called baby mama who was in her own husband’s house will sit and listen to another woman’s husband beat her and even tell her to leave. Wow. Looks like both mentally deranged personalities deserve each other. I always knew Freeze was mentally unhinged. Leave them Opeyemi. A leopard cannot become a mouse. They will murder each other soon. I wonder how the babymama feels now, cause Freeze is forever shading his wife. He still hasn’t gotten over her. Babymama is delusional if she thinks she is special. Which Nigerian man in their right mind will fight so hard for a married woman after 4. Except he has something to gain there. The moment she stops delivering the money, she’s a gonner! Congratulations on your freedom Opeyemi.

• osa

April 22, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Thats true.
      I think freeze needs to be checked medically. This andela smith stirred up things o. But i found freeze’s video really funny sha.
      Opeyemi nothing do you. You will come out a winner. You have suffered enough. This is your moment of victory starting now.

Freeze too run mouth

6. AnnieRose

April 22, 2017 at 4:07 pm

If CoolFM doesn’t finally take this guy off air especially due to the sensitivity of the programmes he anchors and the huge followship of listeners being led by an abuser, then I’ll know we”ve totally lost it in this country .

• I_I

April 23, 2017 at 7:47 pm

This is plain silly. A man has domestic squabbles with his wife, and for this reason he should lose his livelihood? Freeze does not pretend to be a role model, neither are we his listeners under that illusion. He is entertaining and that’s all that is required for the job.

• Jumoke

May 8, 2017 at 9:26 am

Take him off the air because a demented psychotic ex who is drowning in her bitterness says so? Has he been proven guilty? U think coolfm isn’t aware of his ex wife Opeyemi’s behavior? I interned at coolfm between 2010 and 2011. One time Mr Moussalli said they should stop giving her event tickets because of her disgraceful conduct!

7. Tina

April 22, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Seeving tea, its not her fault the kids were involved. Please get over your sanctimonous self. This is a woman narrating her ordeal. And this is all u can say? Shame on you. Thats why people die in abusive relationship.

• Josephine

April 22, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for replying Serving Tea. I was actually shocked speechless by that comment.

• Sexy O

April 22, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Tina, thanks for replying serving tea aka freeze. Me I just waka pass as I saw ‘his’ comment cos my reply could have been bloody???

8. temi

April 22, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Me I’m sha waiting for the demise of the current “bae”. Haha madam edible catering. I notice the only value she brings to freeze is cooking orisirisi mede mede. Her days are numbered and I know it. Anyone that know baba Day, (freeze’s dad) will not allow his goats let alone children marry into Olarinde family.

9. john

April 22, 2017 at 4:31 pm

@annierose why ? should a cool fm fire him.. are u the owner of cool fm ..bcos his bitter ex wife who is on the verge of divorce claims he beat her , so we should all run and pass judgement ..give me a break..I don’t believe her a bit bcos I am not there and there is no proof and it is time selfish me me me women sop manipulating their children aganst their father into what they don’t know about …it is only a fool that will believe a vengeful woman who is about to be divorced..they can do and say anything.

• Ijeoma

April 22, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Oh shut up!

• survivor

April 22, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Dey don’t beleiv the story untill th3 woman dies in an abusive marriage..kai!

• AW

April 22, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Dahlinnnng! You forgot to take your medication today. Here, have a glass of water and 2 pills.?

• osa

April 22, 2017 at 5:35 pm

@john pls get some rest. Your comment is laden with stupidity

• Mee

April 22, 2017 at 6:55 pm

You must be freeze. Ode

• funmilola

April 22, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Mumu!

• I_I

April 23, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Im not taking sides here, but we need to be careful when it comes to bitter divorces. A friend of mine was almost burnt alive in his home, when his wife locked him in their bedroom and set the house ablaze. Dude lost his job cos she was always coming to harass him at work. When that failed cos security got wise to her ways, she wrote a petition to the company that he is a child molester – all this cos Dude got tried of her cheating ass, and wanted to leave the marriage.

If the tables were turned, nobody would ask for the female to get fired. If she wants to build a case for assault, then she should do that and you online commenters can help her get justice that way.

• Sweetness

April 24, 2017 at 4:44 pm

You’re just an idiot.

• I_I

April 27, 2017 at 7:07 am

You too.

10. Bad gang

April 22, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I wonder what hiting a woman feels like… pls my fellow men, don’t hit a woman unless the situation threatens your existence…one slap does not mean you should pound her… prevent more of the slaps by restraining her (hold her down until she calms down if possible) a woman’s body is far more fragile and delicate…
    Women don’t expect a man to always appeal to his sense of chivalry, don’t hit a man…if his behaviour becomes completely outrageous (violent and verbally abusive) please leave him…same goes to men…leave her alone… had a girlfriend who once beat me up with a broom because I played truth or dare at a party, I gave her a dirty slap that left her left ear bleeding for almost 2days… I had never been so scared in my life…she left me and I regret it till this moment because she was very kind to me, she never complained of my untidiness etc
    I begged and begged, lie lie she no gree
    If only I was patient in one moment of anger…a woman who knows her worth! I thought to myself… at least we are friends today… no domestic violence please, it may lead to murder and you will have yourself regretting for the rest of your life in kirikiri…

11. Joy

April 22, 2017 at 5:23 pm

In all of these, how can another woman be on speaker to hear her follow woman beaten? Like this is sickening and most regrettable. How and why? I cant understand this at all. SAD

12. Bimbo

April 22, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Freeze must be ruffling some pastors feathers a little too much with his ” free the sheeple ” movement.

• Lola

April 22, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Really??? ‘He must be rustling feathers ” do.you think that’s why his estranged wife granted an interview?? You don’t think she probably wanted to tell her side after all the untruths Freeze had been sharing all these while? I knew it was only a short while before people would stoop to pastors sent her. O ga. I pray you never have to go through physical and verbal abuse.

• funmilola

April 22, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Another mumu

• Idomagirl

April 22, 2017 at 11:29 pm

Were you under a rock when Freeze was dragging her name in the mud a year ago?

• Touché

April 23, 2017 at 10:50 am

And y’all wonder why she’s aptly named Bimbo!

13. Sarah

April 22, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Mr John. I’m sure you’re also a wife beater and molester. That’s why you typed and sent this msg like a fool. I know the family very well and opeyemi dint lie about anything. He’s out there tarnishing her image and all sorts so you expect her to stay quiet and all? I hope your sisters and daughters marry wife beaters so you can also say it’s a lie. Shame on you

• Rose

April 22, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Sarah, you are cursing his sisters and daughters to suffer domestic abuse?! Wth?? Why cannot you not say your piece without bringing innocent people into it? Wow no doubt you will go to church tomorrow. I have seen this kind of vile behaviours from a lot of posters in here and I think it is abhorrent that you would place a curse on someone who has nothing to do with this. Shame on you!

14. Mystiqie

April 22, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Opeyemi, my heart bleeds for you; my hand is even shaking trying to type this comment. Thank God for your life. This is a lot; to think you said you’d have stayed if not for your kids. Even if you didn’t have kids, you should have left the first year of the marriage. What exactly were you holding on to? The humiliation? The cheating? The beating? The abuse? You need to see a counselor cos I can’t understand why you loved this “wicked man” so much. May the Holy Spirit help you find healing cos you’ve been through so much.

And to think he was a “pauper” if not people would have said you were in it for the “cheddars”. and pls stop referring to him as a celebrity. He is NOT.

• kathy

April 22, 2017 at 6:53 pm

It happens. I loved a man with many demons and I took on mother theresa’s role in his life. In the end, I had love myself first.

15. Rain

April 22, 2017 at 6:07 pm

the man of God said Freeze has 52 demons disturbing him…….now you all agree

• Idomagirl

April 22, 2017 at 11:30 pm

????

16. john

April 22, 2017 at 6:55 pm

@sarah when I say majority of women are daft and short sighted and does not like other women but just use a woman issue as an excuse to bash a man ..all hell broke loose..so in order to hurt me, u want my sister -a fellow woman to be beaten so as to score ur point..olodo..you would have made more sense if you said If I john was beaten by someone stronger but no sisterhood solidarity/ feminist be damned ..u want another woman to get beaten and hurt…morons..this remind me when one idiotic woman called @temi called a small girl ugly in this blog bcos she wants to hurt the father..women!! kai!! and you u want me believe freeaze ex wife..majority of women are idiots who will say or do anything to score a point, no wonder manipulative smart lawyers love having them as clients..I wonder which pastor is behind this whole sudden coming out bcos it is not a coincidence

• Le coco

April 22, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Shut up … Oshisco … always talking rubbish…

• Osa

April 23, 2017 at 2:45 am

Na daddy g.o. adeboye head dey catch freeze.

• nephetiti

April 23, 2017 at 9:49 am

Who hurt you in life? Was it your mummy? Or didna fine girl leave you? Huh? Your comments scream for professional help. I can help you with a few doctors, then we can fast and pray for you. But you need professional help first. God bless you.

17. mrsA

April 22, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Domestic abuse is reaching unprecedented heights in Nigeria, we desperately need stricter laws against it as well as an increased fight to stop its trivialisation. It is not okay and will never be okay for anyone to be knocked around and abused in their own home.
    It takes a lot of courage for a victim/survivor to speak up, we shouldn’t rub salt into their wounds by our words.

18. Woman

April 22, 2017 at 8:14 pm

All of you just hear one side of a story and are quick to jump to conclusions… Instead of looking for a media trial settle it in court..I have heard a very different version from what this woman has said today.. Hell has no fury like a woman scorned

• blackbeatle

April 22, 2017 at 9:28 pm

hope your not his new fiance

19. Obinnanze

April 22, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Is this an interview or a deposition?
    I’m very disappointed with this BellaNaija interviewer.
    For over a year Freez has focused on his new family and doesn’t talk about Ope. The Andela accusations is not good enough reason for this outburst.

• Idomagirl

April 22, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Maybe she finally decided to respond to all the nonsense he said about her in the past…

20. lily

April 22, 2017 at 9:43 pm

lol, na who send dem.

21. Fowlyansh

April 22, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Freeze be living in one bedroom apartment claiming Island big boy and wearing his fake wristwatches…., hmm

One day, foul ya she will open. All these celebrities living make-believe life’s

22. Blessed child

April 22, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Some how l believe this woman 99.9%. This guy is too talkative. He has no respect for age or regard for anyone not even men of God. I know the mum is still alive, she needs to talk some sense into him and also pray for him. How can a young mnn like him turn himself to a terror in the house? In stead of showing love to his wire and children he is busy flexing bones with a woman. If you like change but l know time is a perfect teacher at a due season you will know the harm that you have done to yourself. I just de waka pass o Freeze abi wetin be that your nick name see.

23. nene

April 23, 2017 at 12:00 am

this woman stayed with this man and 2 kids in a one bedroom apartment. she tried abeg. freeze has issues, and this new marriage will also not last, except the woman is stupid, cuz she’s obviously the one with the money. that’s why freeze can’t get over her. she was with him when he was nothing and stuck with him for so long, and he knows he has done her wrong. ope and freeze were so close, this is sad.

24. Iffy

April 23, 2017 at 12:24 am

Ifeday is a mad guy and pple has not seen dat
    Just let wait and see his end mad guy

25. Bose

April 23, 2017 at 9:24 am

Its quite unfortunate that you had to go through all this..Thank God you left..

There is this guy I heard of that also has same personality as Freeze he stays around surulere area, he his also disturbed with spirits or mentally deranged..He sleeps with every girl he sees and mostly young girl as old as he is(46) name Bolaji..Ladies beware..he is a psychopath.

• Bubble

April 24, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Bolaji. Is he is london before? 48. Though surulere that u sed if its same person though

26. Zesty Dragon

April 23, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Who do I believe now? Huh? Anyways, may God heal dem both. I just feel for the kids whom society wud judge for coming from a broken home. A situation they had nothing or no control over.
    It is well.

27. Wale

April 23, 2017 at 11:15 pm

I wonder what the future holds for this country when young people seize to use their brains, this case is already in court, she grants an interview and everybody here is cheering her on? We all know the right thing to do when a case is in court, so why are we acting like lawless animals? Bellanaija you guys fall hand big time.

• Bubble

April 24, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Mugun!

28. Mummy Ade

April 24, 2017 at 9:13 am

we have seen the many times you’ve beaten Ope, God will embarrass you exceedingly more than what you are currently dishing to her. Freeze that is soon turning into a monolith

29. Uche

April 24, 2017 at 9:37 am

Lived with Freeze in the coolfm quarters he never hit OPE. It was ope that was always starting the fights and she was violent all his colleagues complained about her. By the was the case is in court why she doing a deposition here

• Lola

April 25, 2017 at 11:39 am

Thank you for your integrity. It is a pity that Ifedayo is facing this injustice. Living good is the best revenge. I wish Ope a good life ahead.

30. tiny

April 24, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I honestly think they should forget about themselves and focus on the kids, i hope their son doesn’t start to beat on his wife in future, this is always the case with kids from abusive homes. May God help them

31. Ayo

April 24, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Ope should just move on and focus on the kids, This ranting will do no good to the kids. As someone who knows both of them, There are so many pity cards in this deposition. Just move on Ope. Probably you are never meant to be together . For Ope who talks about respect,you really need to ask how come she doesn’t have the backing of any of Freeze’s parents who are respected figures in one of our higher institutions. Just MOVE ON AND STOP ALL THESE MEDIA PITY PITY..

32. Joy

April 25, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Opeyemi should face her children and move on already she sounds so confused and contradicts herself

33. George

April 26, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Ope has lots of issues with regards to infidelity in that marriage. There were several men she had things to do with.

34. Wilson

April 27, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Wow. En ennn Daddy Freeze married this Ope??? I thought they broke up in school after he caught her cheating with Seye. Oluwa o! Choi!

35. Adaobi AGWU

April 29, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Na real wa! Always knew they didn’t fit one another and Ope had violent tendencies. It’s a sad story. We were all in idia hall in UI. And Ope was always quarreling with everyone. She was also quite dirty

36. Daddy iceberg

May 1, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Daddy Freeze well done, only you, commenting under John, Uche, Lola, Ayo, George, Wilson and Adaobi Agwu. Beating your wife like you are a panel beater then trying to tarnish her image further, receive plenty sense cos you need it.

37. Jemila Tijani

May 3, 2017 at 11:48 am

TBH Opeyemi is a drama queen who loves being pitied and adores attention. I used to work with her at Kimberly Ryan and she was dating several married men throughout her stay there, often sneaking off to spend time with them even during office hours.

38. Tidy

May 10, 2017 at 11:59 am

Daddy Iceberg, I thought exactly!!!

39. Tidy

May 10, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I currently work with Opeyemi in the same organisation and she is one of the most beautiful people I know. She has NEVER had any issues with anyone since she joined. Ope is far more beautiful than in this picture and is so kind. I have worked with her for almost 4 years now and I never had any reason to suspect she is involved with MEN.

40. Oyidu ame

November 15, 2017 at 11:21 am

This man freeze with such controversy around his life and marriage should focus on clearing his name instead of talking against men of God and the church practices, he has no moral right or stand neither is he a good example for the young generation to talk against any man not to talk on likes of papa Adeboye who we all know has kept faithfulness to his wife and children to say the least

41. Mike

December 8, 2017 at 7:06 am

Sorry Madam but this is nonsense mudslinging. I didn’t know about Daddy Freeze prior but my respect for him is skyrocketing everyday.