News

Facebook User in Shock after Seeing the List of Items to Get before Marrying a Lady from a Rivers Community

A Facebook user Victor Thompson Owhorji was left in shock after seeing the list of items to buy before his friend can get married to lady.

The marriage list, which is a popular tradition in many ethnic groups in Nigeria, was presented to Victor’s friend from a family in Ubima Community, Ikwerre LGA, Rivers state.

Victor took to Facebook to let out his anger.

“I no marry Again!, I said I will NOT marry again!!! In fact I will NOT even think about it…. This is Ubima Community in Ikwerre LGA Marriage List. I can’t say if it’s expensive or not but what caught my attention is Item No:16-One Big Family Foam with 4 pillows and all the things listed below the ‘Other Items include’ List! They would have told me and my friend to open a Provision store for them na instead of giving us this item.

My friend is thinking of opening a Provision store for them with a partnership agreement with Mouka Foam or he will cancel the marriage and go for another girl. Biko see what I am saw,” he wrote.

See the list below:

Photo Credit: Facebook – Victor Thompson Owhorji

1. blackbeatle

April 13, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Lol..i think this is from greedy relatives…when was the last time i heard the word “pomade”

• ND babe

April 14, 2017 at 10:16 pm

The response here is interesting. It almost speaks to the social status of who is signed on to Bella. This is the kind of list you get from teh “Umuada” and “umunna” village champions. They bring in these items in the name of all kinds of list. But the fun begins. The groom’s family has to negotiate. They have to bring a hardcore negotiator from their end. It is actually enjoyable to watch. It is a part of our history that is going to the doldrums because we are now elitist. Nobody is selling anyone. No child is worth that list or less. It is an artform and the groom can negotiate down. If he is already in reverse mode because of a list, he is not eager to retrieve his bride. An eager groom will say “na die” and negotiate the list down. And the list does come down. Come on, this is the only life village folks have. This and burial list is what keeps them from kidnapping you in the village when you arrive with your air of “been to the city” and your GLS 450. Find the humor and art in it because it is humorous art. I have to confess, I was heartbroken when my dad died suddenly, but the burial dramatics na another thing. One thing they do is after you fulfill the list, you have to have your “onyeukwu” and their own “accountant” validate the delivery. That itself is an art form. The “accountant” can decide they cannot see your carton of malt which is sitting right there in their very before, on top of the pile. Your “onyeukwu” will then retort “ya eye blind or you never drink malt before?” That is the fun of it. THe retorts continue sometimes with breaks inbetween for dancing and can last 2 hours or more. FOr my dad’s funeral, someone said i did not deliver a carton of stout and I needed to be summoned. They sent their “courtmaster” to summon me. I was busy keeping shit together and the lady said I have been summoned to the women’s group as if some important jury was about to pass a verdict on me. I said I was too busy for their shenanigans. My uncle said “Ehn??! Not answering to the women’s group brings bad luck. Let us GO!” Off I went with him leading. We get there and he enters the reception where they are sitting by dancing and singing. In his song he was asking if he is still handsome and if they like how he is shaking his waist. I rolled my eyeballs. I was grieving. What is all this. Anyway, after like 20 minutes of dancing and courteous flirting with the women, he formally (with a speech) introduced himself (and in a grave tone) and told them he heard his little niece had been summoned so he decided to come with me. He now asked for the charge. The story is long. It went well and was very funny in the end. But I tell you, it is culture. Let us not rail against it. Mind you, I am not saying parents should ask for an arm and a leg for their kids. I am saying a list is all it is – a list that is intended to be negotiated to a point that is reasonable for both parties. Dont run from it unless you are not ready. Embrace it and enjoy the ride!

2. m

April 13, 2017 at 11:23 pm

loolxx….. one big she goat

3. john

April 13, 2017 at 11:41 pm

chai!!!! if i spend this to marry a woman, if I tell that woman to jump , she better say how high

4. FasholasLover

April 14, 2017 at 12:00 am

Wooooooooh Lolz and you say young men should get married before age 40? Haba haba. Is the family selling the girl? 20 loaves of bread?. Poverty is a disease plus, there is hunger in the land. When a good man comes you now drive him away with this outrageous list? My family asked for 4 bags of salf kpere for the Umuada. Na Bajan wan buy carton of tomatoes and 2 bottles of curry? Nonsense. When the man treats the in laws like crap how can the girl protest?

5. James

April 14, 2017 at 12:46 am

You spend all that money and end up getting a bad attitude. You’ll feel like asking for your money back. Not worth it.

I have a better idea, give me the girl and if her attitude is good after five years, then I’ll pay the bride price.

6. Honestina

April 14, 2017 at 1:49 am

No. 32 setting the fire and carrying the pot down. Hahahahahaha.
    BTW, is maltina not a mineral??
    Bros, make wild and marry this girl ooh cos this list is wholesale price.
    A list I saw contained gold platted iPhones(latest model). Seriously, this ridiculously funny

• Rainbow

April 14, 2017 at 1:43 pm

There is another “setting the fire and carrying the pot down above, No 40 for N3,000.00. Hahahahahaha

7. Boss Lady

April 14, 2017 at 3:26 am

“Opening of mother’s mouth” keh. Come mama lemme help you and open it for free. Lolz

• Rainbow

April 14, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Hahahahahahaha….Please don’t let me hurt myself with laughter.

8. Iris

April 14, 2017 at 3:48 am

They should kuku have asked for him to sponsor all of them to go to school so they can learn to spell better. It would have made more sense. See their mouths.

9. Tee

April 14, 2017 at 4:59 am

Chaii!!! Number 14-33 can’t be real. Shut, awon elebi family. Na real grocery/provisions store.

10. Lliki

April 14, 2017 at 7:11 am

After the man has managed to produce all that they asked for on their daughter’s behalf, when their daughter starts having problems in her matrimonial home, they will not be able to defend her because the husband bought her from them.

The bride should also not dare look down on her hu

What is wrong in just asking for a bottle o’s schnapps, few tubers of yams, red oil and a little token for a bride dowry.

11. EC

April 14, 2017 at 8:11 am

GREED!!!

12. Sexy O

April 14, 2017 at 8:23 am

Na wa ooo. Abeg is this list for opening a shop abi for marriage. This is broad day witchcraft. For this recession kwa. Bros add electric pole to your leg and run for your life

13. Diamond

April 14, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I hear marrying a girl from Imo state is very expensive. I didn’t realise how expensive it is, until I saw this list. If this is how it is in Imo, then na really wa! If it’s this girl’s family, then they are beyond GREEDY.

Imo people, traditional leaders and everyone concerned should look seriously into this matter. Abi una no want una daughters to marry? I hear the bride’s educational qualifications is a determining factor on bride price. An Imo man once told me if she is a medical doctor, the price can go as high as hundreds of thousands to a million ( I don’t know how true ). I also hear the bride’s father if reasonable and sensible usually stand his ground and resist attempts by the umunna to impose accrue useless costs to the groom. But if the bride is fatherless, she and her mama don enter.

Abeg, this list is really EXPENSIVE. The groom should stand his ground and resist this EXPLOITATION. If they refused to reason, he should go to Anambra, I hear marrying a wife is cheap there. You can bring thousands as bride price, and they will take from it the smallest denomination even as low as N50, and ask you to take back the rest, that their daughter is not for sale.

IMO STATE STOP EXPLOITING YOUNG MEN BECAUSE THEY COME TO MARRY YOUR DAUGHTERS. THEY ARE NOT FOR SALE. HOW DO YOU STAND YOUR GROUND AS HER FAMILY IF THE HUSBAND MISTREAT HER WHEN YOU SOLD HER LIKE A SLAVE? HOW DO YOU DEFEND HER WHEN THE MAN PAID THROUGH HIS NOSE AND ‘BOUGHT’ HER?

• Dodo

April 14, 2017 at 4:43 pm

You are not making sense! What has this list got to do with Imo state? They said Ikwerrre in Rivers state so why draaaaaaaggg Imo ati Anambra into it?

Mtchewwww!!!!!!

• Diamond

April 14, 2017 at 6:30 pm

OmG! I thought I read Nkwerre in Imo State. Na too much activity in preparation for Easter cause am, abeg. But sha, I hear marrying an Imo girl is very expensive. Make dem easy with the red eye, girls are not for sale.

14. Baby

April 14, 2017 at 4:04 pm

So bride mama no get pant n bra? Nawa ooo

15. Ndidi

April 14, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Witchcraft

16. Razz N Bougie

April 14, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Isn’t Rotimi Amaechi’s hometown. Lol!

17. Ndidi

April 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Can’t stop laughing… but seriously despite the hate and tangible bad belle this black face is carrying, for the first time I’m beginning to think that he might have a case o!
    I mean the black belle is too deep to be founded on nothing. 2face must have really done him one strong thing….
    Na wa.

18. Ndidi

April 14, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Wrong post.

19. Purplegirl

April 14, 2017 at 6:02 pm

To be fair I think the last list , the marriage list is for the new couple to take home. It’s a way of making sure the girl has food to eat as new wife. Please ooo don’t come for me no be be my village or state. In my my side we charge N60 so that the man will know she was not sold.

20. ND babe

April 14, 2017 at 10:17 pm

It is a part of our “history and culture” I would like to add to my 8th sentence.

21. Idomagirl

April 16, 2017 at 2:54 am

After basically selling your daughter like this, if the man is maltreating her how will you intervene?
    This is just greed and I fail to see how these exorbitant lists add any value to marriage.
    This is in addition to the other expenses you incur for the ceremony.
    I also hear that in some communities, when the girl has her first child her husband is supposed to buy plenty of items of her mother again.

This just puts undue pressure on the man.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 17, 2017 at 3:50 pm

And what I find truly vexing is all the bloody cheap tack they have on that list. “1 roll of matches”. “6 packets of cabin biscuit”. “2 tins of powdered milk”. For goodness sakes whose relatives are these? Ah ah, allow your daughter/sister carry her head with pride when she walks up to join her husband’s family, na. Imagine her in-laws and husband’s friends already laughing among themselves and wondering if people in her family didn’t “rub pomade” before they came to the rescue… I mean, just negodu the “price” they’ve marked her down for…. even me sef fit vex just kukuma go collect like 3 wives from their village… and the greedy souls will probably give the girls away at buy-2-get-1 free.

I blame her (brides, you’re as much to blame as your family if you don’t firmly let your relatives know that your marriage isn’t a free for all) and her father/brothers/uncles because somebody should have put a quick halt to this foolishness once this “list” came to light. As someone said above, it should have just been limited to the traditional token dowry & some refreshments to break kolanuts with.

Plus, I agree with Iris – dem for just leave the list, collect school fees instead. No be small “two brazes”…. the groom should tell them he went to market but was only able to find “paynt”….