The West African Examinations Council (WAEC), says it lost ten computers holding vital records and information about all schools in the zone when fire gutted part of its office in Kaduna on Tuesday morning.
The Zonal Coordinator of WAEC in Kaduna, Fedelis Gaiya, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Kaduna on Tuesday that the fire which occurred at about 9. 50 a.m. probably started from an electrical spark or fault.
We were running the generator, and when they restored electricity, we saw smoke all over the place.
We are grateful that no life was lost because most of our staff members were out to their various examination centres.
He, however, said that the incident would not affect the ongoing examinations because the question papers were safely tucked away.
He commended the Federal Fire Service, Nigeria Air Force, State University and State Fire Service for their rapid response to the situation.
We are grateful to all the fire service departments that responded as fast as to they did to the situation. Otherwise, the damage would have been more than this.
Deputy Controller of Federal Fire Service, Thompson Mohammed, reiterated the need for fire extinguishers to be installed in offices to reduce the rate of damages caused by fire.
I am sure if there had been fire extinguishers here with trained men, the damage would have been minimal.
He urged them to liaise with the service to train their staff on how to operate fire extinguishers, adding
It is committed to discharging its duties efficiently and promptly.