Scoop

“It was never my intention to come across as a supporter of any form of assault to women” – AY Apologizes to #BBNaija’s TBoss

BellaNaija.com

For a while now comedian AY has been the focus of comments on social media for making a joke out of the sexual assault on #BBNaija’s TBoss by a fellow housemate Kemen.

AY made the joke at his AY Live comedy show on Easter Sunday.

People said the jokes were insensitive as it seemed like he was defending Kemen’s actions.

AY has now issued an apology to TBoss as he shared videos of the jokes, saying it was never his intention to make her feel that way as he has a wife and a daughter and will never support any action that will promote rape or sexual assault.

He wrote:

HERE IS PART 1 & 2 OF THE RAPE JOKE I SAID AT AY LIVE
I know a lot of people did not see the joke before lashing on me… and no amount of me trying to explain myself would do me any good which is why I am uploading it so Nigerians and indeed all fans of the AY brand will be fully informed.
I want to apologize to @officialTboss_, the entire Tboss nation and Nigerians who interpreted the joke to be promoting rape. It was never my intention to come across as a supporter of any form of assault to women.

I was only touched and inspired to share the joke when I learnt that Kemen came out alongside other church members when Pastor Paul Adefarasin asked those under immense pressure to the point of wanting to commit suicide to step out for prayers. Also coupled with the fact that he had personally apologised to Tboss after he was disqualified.
Like I said in the joke, I have a wife and a daughter, and I will never be in support of any such action that is designed to promote rape or any form of sexual assault that will demean womanhood.

Watch

A post shared by Ayo Makun (@aycomedian) on

A post shared by Ayo Makun (@aycomedian) on

1. x-factor

April 19, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Wow!….this is tough sha on all parties
    I detest what kemen did and sees AY’s joke as distasteful but i guess it is time for a lot of forgiveness and moving forward to happen…

• Ottawa Queen

April 19, 2017 at 2:53 pm

No, they won’t o. They are waiting first to hear the guy jumped into the 3rd Mainland bridge. I also was pissed off watching that clip. It was totally wrong and abusive. However, he has apologised to TBoss and declared to change his ways to live as a better person. God has forgiven him & granted him a second chance, so who are we to still castigate and throw stones on him? We all have committed one form of sin or another. Yet we go to church on Sunday’s asking God for forgiveness and he does forgive us, you come out feeling fresh and redeemed after taking holy communion, so why can’t Kemen be forgiving? Hypocrites!!!

2. stop

April 19, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Pls no more #BBN

3. Spunky

April 19, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Just apologize. There’s no need justifying the apology or being sentimental. Kamen’s alter call is a story for another day.

4. Moving on Swiftly

April 19, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Can all these Nigerian comedians understand that Rape, Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence are not to be joked about in any form or way. Its so sickening. Just stop doing it.

It doesn’t make much sense now coming to apologize, when you have promoted it as a good thing to millions of Nigerian youths, who think it’s OK to commit any of the acts above as a means of teaching a woman a lesson or sexual gratification.

5. Sunshine

April 19, 2017 at 2:07 pm

He don do biko!!! Let’s move forward and hope you know now that we don’t joke about everything.

6. Soulful

April 19, 2017 at 2:08 pm

My advise to Kemen after reading the suicide part,

1. Soul searching – acknowledge to yourself you have done something really wrong and shameful and be truly sorry for it. Stop paying attention to all the people cheering you on and saying what you did is not a big deal. you messed up, accept it.

2. SIncere apologies – no excuses, no passing of blames. Apologise to TBoss and any other parties involved from the depth of your heart. What you have done will have a life changing impact on her life, so she has every right to be upset and mad at you for as long as she chooses to. The public also has a right to be angry at you. SO you have to know that because you apologise sincerely doesnt mean the victim and public will forgive and forget in a minutes. You brought this on yourself and part of moving on is in accepting you deserve the consequences and reactions to your actions..

3. Step away from all the BBN publicity, interviews, social media banter etc!! Take some time out to process all that has happened, what you did, the consequences for you and the victim, and how you want to move forward from here.

4. There are life lessons in every single mistake and failure we make in life – focus on the lessons, let them make you a better person and use them for good. You are still young, you can still turn this mess into a message.

5. Focus on being a better person in your work and in all you do.

Life is a journey, sometimes we mess up and fall flat because of our own carelessness, but it doesnt have to be the end of us. We can learn our lessons and rise up again.

You can talk to a professional and expert counseller/life coach if that will help you better.

7. Pita

April 19, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Well, if u really wanted to help out Kemen I guess the right way to go was to have set up a private reconciliation meeting for the parties concerned and form United Nations… rather than that gross stage performance….!! …..fladback……. Don Jazzy Vs Olamide. Featuring Dangote

8. ShoveItUpYourArse

April 19, 2017 at 2:26 pm

He can take that ‘apology’, roll it up tightly and shove it up his behind. Why has it taken him so long? Why did a grown man think that was something to joke about in the first place? He has been stubborn about the whole situation for days, even RTing fellow rape apologists onto his TL. Why is he now apologising? Scared of losing endorsements? pathetic.

9. jess

April 19, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I dislike qualified apologies. It pisses me off more than the wrong act itself . Why don’t you try. “I am sorry. I should not have used such sensitive issue as a joke. it is inappropriate and I regret my actions” finish. It takes a man to admit when he is wrong. Same shitty apology as Kemens’.

10. Ada Lewis

April 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm

You went too far AY…….. and to think TBoss was there. That was insensitive and almost wicked. Gosh ! Gosh ! And what exactly are we encouraging Kemen for ? I don’t understand. What’s with the emotion, suicidal attempt, bla bla bla….. I guess its okay to commit a Crime in Nigeria, and simply say sorry. No consequences whatsoever. Truly, there was a Nation. I wonder why the beautiful TBoss didn’t walk out of that Stage. I would have if it were me. TTT, I see where you stand, and the substance you are made of. Its glaring…… and why am I not surprised ? Anyone who dares try a Kemen on me, would bid the World goodbye. I will make sure its swift, so there would be no time for Repentance to possibly make Heaven. I will destroy the Body, and hope the Soul gets eternal condemnation. Sexual molestation is not pleasant to my Ears at all. ITS UGLY ! TBoss, I am a huge Fan of yours……. my super clean Tpepperoni. Oh ! I have OCD as well. Keep your Head up Girl. Ignore the Haters, keep being happy, keep dazzling and slaying, and stay beautiful. There is no STAR without a SCAR. You are destined for greatness. Shout out to Debie Rise. Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah my gorgeous Ladies !
    #AdaLewisLovesTBoss #WomenCelebratingWomen #AdaLewisAdoresTBoss

11. temi

April 19, 2017 at 2:54 pm

AY – apology accepted. It was never my intention to come across as insensitive by dissing your daughter’s looks. I hope you accept my apology

• Me

April 19, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Please shut up already. Why drag a little girl into this matter in the first place. You have some serious issues.

• sturvy

April 20, 2017 at 6:47 pm

mumu

• why

April 19, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Out of curiosity, why does everyone speculate about AY’s female family members getting assaulted. Why not wonder about how AY would feel if he was sexually assaulted by a man. …..

12. M

April 19, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Everybody laughed. That’s the peoblem. These days every stupid thing is funny, even rape. Look at Stupid women laughing out like fools the most. Tickled by nonsense. This is the reason why they will carry on saying these things because they can and apologising when called out. And that is why when you call them out, same fools will call you pained feminist. Messed up society 8

13. BlackandProud

April 19, 2017 at 9:21 pm

It’s enough now!!! Honestly speaking. It’s now up to Tboss and her family to lay charges if she will. Kemen has apologized (let’s stay out of how he’s issued it). I still maintain, there’s two sides to every story. Both parties haven’t stepped up and briefed the public. Abeg, can we stop being judges. God is in control. How about we lend our voices to other pressing issues at hand then – the missing Chibok girls, still…

14. Justme

April 19, 2017 at 10:49 pm

So Bella Naija decided to use my previous comment to cook soup. Well done. If you like don’t post this as well as you and bb organizers want the young man Kemen dead for a case that has not been proven to be true. You all are waiting to hear that he slips into depression and jumps in the lagoon but God will see him through at this time. In advanced countries, the case would have been thoroughly investigated rather than leaving it in the hands of Nigerians who naturally believe in jungle justice especially those who will hide behind their chinko phones. God will strengthen the guy to pull through

• sturvy

April 20, 2017 at 6:46 pm

i think you simply lack wisdom

15. sturvy

April 20, 2017 at 6:45 pm

who be this muturu????? if he jumps into the lagoon,good riddance………..and i pray you go with him too….gang of rapistsss

16. Austine Shaibu

April 21, 2017 at 7:34 am

what u don’t knw is bigger than u. There is nth in this case. d best ppl to speak on did ar d parties involved. i tell u, Tboss enjoyed everything Kemen did. She was ashamed dat BB caught dem. Bc de never knew dat der was camera in d room.why wud she wait till BB asked her? She pretended to b sleepn.we shud plz stay out of this

Kemen pz stay calm and enjoy ur life, am nt ur fan bt I luv u from my heart.