Scoop

Too Controversial? AY Makun’s #BBNaija Joke at the 2017 AY Live is causing quite the Reaction on Social Media

BellaNaija.com

Media personality Bolanle Olukanni reacts to AY Makun’s #BBNaija Joke

Yesterday, at his annual AY Live comedy show, comedian and actor AY Makun brought the contestants of the recently concluded Big Brother Naija reality show on stage in a bid to further introduce them to Nigerians and showcase their talents.

On stage at the event with the other contestants that were evicted was Kemen, who had been disqualified from the BBNaija house following some controversy and allegations of sexual assault towards fellow housemate, TBoss.

During a previous event the night before his annual show, AY Makun had pledged his support for Kemen – who has constantly received mixed reactions from Nigerians. According to AY Makun, Kemen should be encouraged and not further punished for what AY described as a mistake.

At the annual show, AY further reiterated his support for Kemen. He went on to make jokes about sex and the urgency to which some men might require a release from their desires. According to him, women can side with TBoss but no man should castigate Kemen because every man knows how ‘konji’ can be.

This joke was met with mixed reactions on social media, especially as TBoss was right there on stage when the jokes were being made. According to some fans, the jokes were made at the expense of TBoss’ feelings. A number of people on Twitter have also maintained that it was “just comedy” and that comedians cannot be restricted to certain topics.

See some reactions below.

Watch the video clip from the show below.

Following the incident, AY Makun and TBoss posed for a photo backstage showing that he has perhaps apologized for the joke.

Photo Credit: Instagram.com/aycomedian

1. That African Chic

April 17, 2017 at 5:00 pm

The video was so cringe worthy. TBoss was clearly uncomfortable. You can tell what kind of society this is if a comedian can openly make such statements about rape and he thinks it’s perfectly fine

• EbonyFre

April 20, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Never been able to stand this guy. Cheap, forced and dry comedy.
      Hated his part in Wedding Party (the movie).
      This is the same way we celebrate ill-gotten wealth.

Sigh, when you have to explain your joke for so long. I can’t even continue watching.
      So disgusting!! So dumb.
      Ugh!
      Money miss road! Tasteless, classless.
      With his fake humility, fake pidgin.
      Why are people watching BB even

2. jamez

April 17, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Tboss was actually unconfortable, i cant beleve a commedian can make such statements

3. That African Chic

April 17, 2017 at 5:08 pm

And what the hell was that at the last part? Why did he touch Uriel’s bum because she said she hasn’t been touched since she got out of the house. Nigeria has a freaking long way to go

4. Ima

April 17, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I don’t know dont know for anyone else o but what me I know I would definitely not approve of any man getting into my bed uninvited whether for a cuddle or to score a cheap queeze off my breast or ass especially when I’m not in a sexual relationship or when I don’t even like you like that. If you want to have sex with me, make your advances while I’m awake and if I say no, just bounce along. Kemen has no moral justification whatsoever to have snuck into her bed to score a cheap one. And AY the unfunny yet popular and seemingly wealthy comedian, I say this with the “straightest” face… Not everything is a joke. We are trying to move Nigeria forward and educate youths on the importance of consent….but on the other hand you may not even understand the wole consent talk despite you being a father. Money don’t buy understanding

5. Iloku

April 17, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Sickening and disgusting. If someone rapes his daughter, will he still say “you know how konji is”. What a disgusting, insensitive, perverted waste of a human. Yes, Ayo, you are disgusting.

6. That African Chic

April 17, 2017 at 5:18 pm

And lastly i hope he goes on to ‘encourage’ any man that will touch his daughter like that

7. toto

April 17, 2017 at 5:28 pm

But this bbn sef. A tv show of immoral acts

8. Dt

April 17, 2017 at 5:29 pm

The Tboss girl actually has no respect for herself. She shouldn’t take such statements (she for walk off the stage, atleast to show her disgust) talk more of taking a pic with the AY guy.

• Sh

April 17, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Don’t even dare say that. Clearly she had to be there with other housemates and she was CLEARLY uncomfortable and agitated by the “jokes”. If she had walked out, it’ll be an issue. You guys will start ranting about how she’s overly sensitive and how she’s an overgrown baby, etc. I can’t understand why AY, a married man with a daughter will come up with such a senseless, inappropriate “joke” and think it’s funny; it honestly amazes. Also dude is NOT funny, annoying wannabe, I’ll rather watch paint dry than listening to his “jokes”. This same Kemen some idiots are supporting said on live tv that his friend drugged a girl to sleep with her, yet some dummies are making excuses for AY & Kemen. Some “comedians” need to get schooled by Ali Baba and know when to joke and to be serious. All these so called comedians.

9. Chichi

April 17, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Should tboss be used for jokes? Absolutely yes, obsanjo suffered d most in d hands of Nigerian comedians
    2) was the kemen escapades joke wrong? YES because it wasn’t even a joke.AY was trying 2 justify the reasons not to blame kemen.
    3)should kemen be forgiven? Yes but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t pay for his actions. Yes,he was disqualified but the organizers and sponsor should have banned him from dis events to set a strict policy against sexual harassment which will serve as a lesson to youth that there is consequences for every action.
    4)did kemen rape tboss? Big NO. What he did was a case of sexual harassment
    5) is AY a comedian? Have my doubts after last night dry jokes.Maybe a funny actor like osuofia but not as a stand up comedian.
    I rest my case.

• Sh

April 17, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Your comment is rational and illogical and the same time. So because Obasanjo was used for jokes by comedians, Tboss should also be used for jokes? Please tell me how that makes sense. Aunty, anything that has to do with sexual assault, domestic violence, etc. SHOULD NOT be used as a joke. Your comment is ridiculous!

• Chichi

April 18, 2017 at 12:07 am

Most jokes on tboss was centered on private jet and the exposure of her boob and it was only AY DAT talked about DAT kemen joke.

• Susan

April 18, 2017 at 1:54 am

Chichi the joke was wrong period. AY shouldn’t have talked about her and Kemen and it’s not allowed, neither is it appropriate. Your OBJ part was off point and irrational. Period.

10. Muse

April 17, 2017 at 5:44 pm

It’s surprising that Nigerians are waking up to some of the schmucks we call comedians. They joke about anything and everything, make a joke about kids with one form of impairment or another, make a joke about the downtrodden in the society and so on.

TBoss is supposed to be pissed about this, the crowd was supposed to boo him and not cheer him, what do we have, laughter and cheers and jestings from the crowd and also, TBoss taking pics abi selfies with ay, our value for integrity and all it entails is at its lowest ebb. #sadmuch

11. Sasha

April 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm

For the life of me I totally dnt get naija comedy,speaking truth and calling it comedy,this already is a sensitive Topic and situation any normal person will leave it be.

12. LemmeRant

April 17, 2017 at 6:00 pm

You people should leave TBoss alone. If she shouts you’ll say she’s too proud. If she keeps her head down and just tries to act cool, you’ll say she lacks self respect.

Is it your self respect? Were you the one molested? Why do y’all like to kill yourself over someone else’s palava? Was it you that kemen touched or are you sharing body with TBoss?

If TBoss wants to file a suit, she can easily do so. She’s not a 17 year old teenager. She’s an adult.

The only person in the world right now that has the right to be upset is cool and enjoying her fame. You that nobody brought into the matter want to kill yourself. Oya now goan kill yourself on top TBoss matter.

People will just be projecting their own bad experiences and anger on TBoss and Kemen.

13. Annon

April 17, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Sick Bastard! It’s ok to blame women for your lack of self control .. aka “konji”? Ugly baboon! Rape is the only crime in Nigeria in which the victim becomes the accused. Ignorant idiot. I hope your wife and daughters get raped. Maybe then you’ll think twice about making a tasteless joke.

14. Mawi

April 17, 2017 at 6:42 pm

My only question to AY is “would you be saying the same thing if it were your daughter involved?” If you can truly justify the actions of a guy who molested your daughter in the name ‘konji’, then ride on.
    For those of you supporting AY and Kemen, ask yourselves the same question.

15. Rolly

April 17, 2017 at 6:53 pm

The fact this man is recognised as a comedian in the first place is what I just can’t seem to understand.

Nigerian men (a lot of them) are actually evil pigs who think women’s bodies belong to them. It’s not a surprise a lot of them are supporting that sex offender. As for the stupid women who also support him, I pray none of you ever reproduce.

This country has such a long way to go regarding rape culture. How anyone can blame the victim and not the offender is ludicrous but that’s for another day.

16. I'm tired of this noise

April 17, 2017 at 7:00 pm

I don’t understand why nobody is suing kemen? If tboss has strong evidence that kemen raped/assaulted her she should press charges. The video clearly proves she was unconscious and totally unaware of kemen’s advances, then she should take legal action and shame rape culture and rape apologist …rubbish!! My dear go to court or shut the eff up…

• LemmeRant

April 17, 2017 at 8:53 pm

What is stopping YOU from suing Kenneth?

Lemme guess, the matter no concern you. You’re just another irrelevant person trying to force your views on the people that were ACTUALLY INVOLVED.

17. I'm tired of this noise

April 17, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Can kemen be sued here in nigeria for the alleged rape? If he can, get on with it or shut the fuck up
    I wonder why the organisers didn’t press charges in the first place? Since they were so certain he raped her ….show us the entire build up to that 30sec clip and show us after the 30sec clip …let nigerians verify thoroughly and have good judgement…bloody hell!!!

• missnk

April 18, 2017 at 9:16 pm

you’re foolish and have had no one to tell you but I’m telling you today that you don’t have sense. If there was no proof, you’ll say it didn’t happen. There’s video evidence and you want to see the build up? Kukuma enter the tv and investigate

18. Pipi

April 17, 2017 at 7:11 pm

This issue is bigger than Tboss and kemen! This issue has opened up a canker worm in our society! People, fathers, mothers do not understand the meaning of consent ! I am shocked at the tweets am seeing! A lady actually said Tboss lead him on with the way she dressed! Am worried but am I going to cross my hands and sigh NO! I am determined to sponsor program on consent in secondary schools around my vicinity.

19. tunmi

April 17, 2017 at 7:59 pm

TBoss, I applaud your cool and calm demeanor. I don’t know how people keep straight faves throughout all of this.

20. Dude

April 17, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I had to switch off my tv and goan and sleep when the jokes of the first three comedians (except Okey bakassi) were about Efe, Kemen, Tboss.

21. Kosi

April 17, 2017 at 8:07 pm

As someone who has been sexually abused, it pains me when people make trivial jokes about sexual molestation. It pains me more when I see women defending such actions. I have noticed that Nigerian Men and women take issues of sexual abuse lightly. I remember growing up hearing comedians such as basketmouth and I go die cracking jokes about raping women who refuse to sleep with them after spending money on them on a date. The rape culture is very common in Nigeria and we need to sound it to young men that you can only have sex with women ( legal age) if they consent.. not when they are sleeping. It is also shocking that with the video evidence people still have the nerve to defend Kemen. This is why rape victims don’t come forward because it is always their fault. I had a horrible experience sometime last week. I went to a restaurant with a friend and a group of women were seating behind us. Their conversation was loud enough for us to hear. The were complaining about housemaids targeting their husbands. Apparently, one of their husbands slept with a house maid who got pregnant. The girl was forced to have an abortion and was sent back to her parents. I was already angry that they failed to recognize that the man was in a position of power and most likely the house maid would find it difficult to object. That was till they mentioned that the girl in question was 13 years old. And I wept inside of me. The little girl was raped and forced to have an abortion, and yet it is her fault. We need to start holding rape culprits responsible for their actions because one day it might be you or someone close to you

22. Jess

April 17, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Where our so called stars should speak up they remain mute. Omotola, Rita and Co. This is the time to speak up. Sexual assault is a worthy cause please lend your voices. As for AY, it’s bad enough that you are not funny, but as a father , to stand on that stage and spew that nonsense, you should be ashamed, your wife should be ashamed and one day when your daughters grow old enough to understand, they will be ashamed of you too. To say i’m disgusted is an understatement. Thank you Bolanle for speaking up.

23. Ope

April 17, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Lol to the comments here……

24. Engoz

April 17, 2017 at 8:54 pm

If they say every Nigerian man is a potential RAPIST, a sexual predator and horny bastard they will start crying that one should not ‘generalize’ as if that will change my mind or dispel the Nigerian male rape and sexual assualt/molestation culture. I mean AY just lays credence to what I don’t need rocket science to know that every Nigerian male is a potential rapist.

• Nkt

April 17, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Actually we don’t care anymore, go ahead say it, the bad guys don’t send and the ones that actually do care have become indifferent to these sort of generalization of all Nigerian men.

• Genesis

April 18, 2017 at 12:25 am

My thoughts exactly. It’s totally disgusting to be honest.

25. Chu

April 17, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I dont like the whole set up, bringing them before the audience like circus monkeys to entertain the crowd. The joke on Tboss was so off, he was trying to plead for Kemen but I’m sure there should be a more mature of way of handing it, like apologizing for his joke on the other show that it was insensitive, that would have appeased Tboss, even if he apologized in private afterwards it makes no sense cos she was publicly humiliated. She on the other hand was visibly displeased but couldn’t act on it cos truth be told Ay is one of the big boys in the industry and she can’t start her career by making enemies with him.
    I repeat that the way he brought them all out was not cool, at least not the way he handled them.

26. ICantShout

April 17, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Ay only gave his point of view so if you want to kill yourself kill yourself. The comedians you all are here saying are dry are now enjoying there money from cracking dry jokes even tboss and kemen am sure they received pay for agreeing to come on stage.

27. Slimjude

April 17, 2017 at 11:55 pm

An otherwise eventful, fun night, but WRECKED! by the very regrettable antics of AY himself.
    1) The “joke” on/about TBoss & Kemen was so totally unnecessary,& dare I say, irresponsible!
    2) The apparent lack of respect for the BBN contestants(HMs)-calling them boy,[email protected];
    3) Referencing the National Anthem saga yet [email protected] end of it all was totally uncalled for!..
    Overall, a very thoroughly disappointing display by AY Makun..and a HUGE minus to his brand.

28. Genesis

April 18, 2017 at 12:22 am

This joke was in very poor taste especially because a lot of Nigerian men and women (might I add) still do not understand the concept of consent. Or maybe they do understand the concept but along with everything else they just want to have their cake and eat it too. Disgusting lot!

29. Genesis

April 18, 2017 at 12:23 am

30. Disgusting

April 18, 2017 at 12:34 am

This is what happens when local uncouth animals make a little bit of money. Who the heck is AY? You can take a bushman out of the bush and dress him well but you will always know he is a local champion as soon as he opens his filthy mouth.

31. Dammie

April 18, 2017 at 8:32 am

I’m a woman and I have to admit that this public outrage is misplaced. There is nothing so terrible about the video or what Ay said. He was only saying we shouldn’t be too hard on the guy, that we should be understanding. He didn’t say Kemen wasn’t wrong, he didn’t joke about rape or assault, he only emphasized not judging Kemen too harshly and make one or two jokes about consensual sexual relations to buttress his point. This outrage is just misplaced. Most people need to calm down and actually listen to what other people say, with the intent to understand not judge and rebuff.

• missnk

April 18, 2017 at 9:20 pm

AY’s babe welcome. it’s sad that you’ve been so conditioned to think sexual assault is what we shouldn’t judge harshly? when the offender is not remorseful? goodluck because you’ll need lots of it living in a society where you’re helping to enable assaulters.

32. kay

April 18, 2017 at 9:47 am

Nigerians love to blow things out of proportion, what Ay said wasnt so bad afterall

33. o

April 18, 2017 at 10:34 am

See how he lined them up like school kids awaiting their turn to be flogged. Na wa!

34. noisemakers

April 18, 2017 at 10:39 am

all i see here is beef beef beef!!you pple cannot b happy for ones success witout trying to taint it black to satisfy your wicked hearts!d show was fun nd interesting!i dont see anytin bad in a brother trying to plead for anoda brother amidst jokes that might b distasteful to some of you guys.all of u here crying over a mata dat am sure tboss is not tinking about goan kill kemen naa or frame him up for somtin nd arrest him so that u can all sleep well…..haba!!!let dis mata rest abeg.!!!

35. Spunky

April 19, 2017 at 5:09 pm

The audience laughing, clapping and cheering on…I don’t see the humor here. Dude should stay low and shouldn’t be enabled. Konji no be excuse Ooo. He got his hands to wank or jerk off. Coulda saved him the embarrassment.