Scoop

“There are a lot of girls that feel life happens to them and they don’t know the next step to take” – Kemi Adetiba talks about her Inspiring King Women Series

BellaNaija.com

Kemi Adetiba’s King Women series is a must watch. Click here if you missed the first episode. In a new interview with Accelerate TV, the filmmaker talks about her inspiration and goal behind the series.

See excerpts from her interview below.

On her inspiration for the series: A lot of people ask me the question, ‘why the name King Women?’ I have had people ask me, are you trying to say that queens are not as strong and important as kings?’ And that’s not the case at all. Now let me tell you a story. When I was about 13 years old, I remember I was in my mom’s room watching her put on her makeup. Her younger brother, the youngest of the family had just come back from The States and he was there just teasing her, like brothers and sisters do. He was poking her in the ribs and he kept on going ‘Obong Awan, Obong Awan’ and my mom would go, ‘Peter stop it oh, Peter leave me alone oh’. It was like a fun thing. And then I remember he turned to me and said ‘Do you know what ‘Obong Awan’ means?’ and I said ‘no I don’t’ and he goes, ‘They are trying to give your Mom a title called Obong Awan but she doesn’t want to take it’. And he says, ‘the direct translation of Obong Awan means “King Woman”. That term stuck in my head for so many years. My mother is the perfect embodiment of what King Women means to me and she is actually the inspiration behind this series.

On the series: One of the reasons why I thought it was imperative for me to do the King Women series is that I feel like there were a lot of girls that need direction. There are a lot of girls that feel life happens to them and they don’t know the next step to take, a lot of girls that do not see a way out of their circumstance. I wanted to bring what I have learnt, somewhat from my mother, to them because I had the benefit of living with my mother, living in the same house, learning at her feet but I do realise that not a lot of girls have the opportunity of having strong female mentors and that is the reason why this series was very important to showcase. So I brought together thirteen amazing, inspirational women just to show these young girls that no matter what life throws at you, you can always beat it and overcome.

Read more here.

Photo Credit: AccelerateTV

1. Bade

April 5, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Is it me or is there some unexpected skoin skoin in some of the English here?… asking for a friend.

2. mz_danielz

April 5, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Kemi, why does it have to be ‘king woman’ though? cos somehow when a woman attains success she has done something manly? It comes across like reverse misogyny to me oh. Just the same way Igbos refer to very successful women by saying ‘o neme ka nwoke’ (i.e she’s performing like a man). We inadvertently pass the message that women need some manlike attribute to succeed and when they do, they have attained the almighty status of a ‘MAN’.

Why can’t a woman just be a queen. Queens are female and Kings are male. Nothing wrong with that. The matriach of U.K is a Queen, not so?

My personal opinion though, because the ‘king woman’ term has always disturbed me like an admittance of second place. I want to be extremely successful as a queen. Men and women are equal but different.

• molarah

April 5, 2017 at 4:31 pm

So you are telling me that after she exhausted one whole paragraph in the interview explaining the reason for the title, you are still asking this jamb question ni? Some people though. Not every one has to follow your train of thought in all situations – you are the one that sees it as demeaning, she doesn’t, and both points of view are valid in their own way. No need to come around like she’s doing something wrong: express your different view respectfully and move on.

• The Real Oma

April 5, 2017 at 4:44 pm

@Mz Danielz, but she explained now, Abi you didn’t read the post in your eagerness to disagree, to fly the flag of the ‘good woman who knows are place’
      It is actually most surprising coming from you an Igbo speaker (can’t be certain you are as i speak Nigerian languages that are not mine). In Igbo, the queen is called Eze nwanyi, which literally translates KING WOMAN, Ibibio/Annang language has the same, which is where Kemi took her title from.
      Nothing strange here!

• nneoma

April 6, 2017 at 10:48 am

Remember most ibo words are not exactly like it’s English meaning , eze means ruler , not king … I think , igwe means king

• tester testerson

April 5, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Sure you didnt read the article…. The 2nd paragraph explains that she heard it from ur mum and uncle and it stuck with her… sigh

• nneoma

April 6, 2017 at 10:50 am

Because she heard from her grant grand mother doesn’t make it right or the fact

• mz spontaneous

April 5, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I don’t Gerrit, so u just saw the title or first paragraph and then you rushed to comment. Oga/madam Biko read read! It’s pointless being on a blog and u can’t read if all u want is pictures stick with instagram and snap chat Biko!

• AceOfSpades

April 5, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Everything is not feminism. Her reason has nothing to do with men versus women so calm down small and read.

3. RIFF RAFF

April 5, 2017 at 2:31 pm

There is space for every woman to excel and succeed….why are women nowadays always coveting masculine titles??? I’m yet to see men have roving eyes over “QUEEN” titles.
    King woman, Queen Man indeed…..

• The Real Oma

April 5, 2017 at 4:45 pm

READ READ READ!!!

4. T

April 5, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Obviously, some people do not bother to read an article before they comment.

• mrs chidukane

April 5, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Azziiiin! Tufiakwa . I look forward to seeing all the interviews.

5. pancake

April 5, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Pancake is all i see

6. bees

April 5, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Obong anwan means Queen. No need for verbal acrobatics. I know because I am from Akwa Ibom.

7. Serene

April 5, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Obong – king
    Awan – woman
    I totally understand her concept now.
    So, her mum is either Efik/Ibibio
    I am an Ibibio girl

• nneoma

April 6, 2017 at 10:54 am

There should b a specific word for rulers that a man or woman can have as a title , I dear say it is because of lack of words in 8bo n efik , that’s why it is obang awan n eze nwaanyi , the English that we all follow don’t have king woman , no king woman in the dictionary

8. mz_danielz

April 6, 2017 at 9:41 am

Juts so you know, I read this article before my 1st comment and I do not support the term King woman.

The term King woman came from a title her mother was to be offered -that probably came across because of how women were not traditionally seen as achievers, hence the term ‘King woman’. Kings go to war and lead while queens just look demure and beautiful right? (I’m assuming here as I don’t really know the history of the place). The Igbos have titles like Okara mmadu Okara mmuo (meaning, greater than man, greater than spirits because we believe that while it is a tough feat to subdue your fellow men, it is even tougher to wrestle with spirits and win) you will not hear us say Okara mmadu Okara Okuko (greater than human, greater than chickens) and the reason is obvious.

The term ‘King woman’ strikes me as giving out the message that women are not wired to attain a level of success hence when they do, they have attained a masculine feat, and are to be awarded the all so ‘man’ title. Queens can be just as successful. I am a woman phenomenally and when I succeed, I don’t want anyone conferring the king title on me, that’s a slap on my gender, call me a queen and watch me sit on that throne and rule gracefully and firmly- This is MY opinion.

• nneoma

April 6, 2017 at 10:58 am

I love you , you think like moi , I Don’t need a male title , to do what male r female can do , as a queen , I am a female and a queen all myself biko

• Engoz

April 6, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Wow mz danielz, very impressive. Your submissions are valid! Couldn’t have said it any better. Men use queen as a derogatory term that they even went further to classify gay men as ‘queens’ to degrade the word. In the same vein, king is a DEROGATORY term to me as a woman.

9. nneoma

April 6, 2017 at 10:42 am

Pls do men say QUEEN MAN …

10. M

April 6, 2017 at 11:23 am

I have read the whole article way before today and today again and I 1000% agree with mz_danielz. The emphasis on King woman whether she heard or copied it for whatever meaning, is a title to express strength. A queen is just fine. We get the concept but, She as a modern so called educated woman with all her supposed exposure, should be using her medium and opportunities like this, to bring this to fore whatever point she is trying to make. King woman is just as mundane. Thanks!

11. nneoma

April 6, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Bella eat my comment like I care