News

U.S., UK & France Conspired to Cause my Defeat in 2015 – Author Quotes Former President Jonathan as Saying

Former President Goodluck Jonathan

In an advance copy of “Against the Run of Play” written by the chairman of THISDAY editorial board Segun Adeniyi, former President Goodluck Jonathan has said that former U.S. President Barack Obama, former UK Prime Minister David Cameron, outgoing French president Francois Hollande, and some of his (Jonathan) officials conspired to cause his defeat in the 2015 Presidential election.

THISDAY reports that the U.S. government “even brought some naval ships into the Gulf of Guinea in the days preceding the elections”.

See excerpts from the book:

Professor Attahiru Jega, Others Disappointed Me

I was disappointed (in) Jega because I still cannot understand what was propelling him to act the way he did in the weeks preceding the election. As at the first week in February 2015 when about 40 percent of Nigerians had not collected their PVCs, Jega said INEC was ready to conduct an election in which millions of people would be disenfranchised.

Of course, the Americans were encouraging him to go ahead yet they would never do such a thing in their own country. How could we have cynically disenfranchised about a third of our registered voters for no fault of theirs and still call that a credible election?

The interesting thing was that the opposition also supported the idea of going on with the election that was bound to end in confusion….

….What happened was very sad not for me as a person, but for our democracy. Take for instance, the PDP National Chairman, Adamu Mu’azu. I believe he joined in the conspiracy against me. For reasons best known to him, he helped to sabotage the election in favour of the opposition.

Mu’azu also reacted to the allegations made against him in the book saying: “It pains me that anybody would want to pin a tag of ethnic or religious bigotry on me because that is what President Jonathan means by his accusation, even if he did not directly say it. I suppose my crime with him is that I am a Muslim and a northerner.”

“Majority of Nigerians will remember that I took over a party that was in shambles. Very quickly, I injected a new lease of life into the PDP for which I was hailed as the ‘game changer’. It is convenient to forget all that now,” Mu’azu added.

“But in the build up to the election, some people decided to introduce religion and ethnicity into the campaign in such a manner that not only hurt the PDP in the north but was actually helping to mobilise our opponents against us.”

He vowed to tell his own story one day, but for now, the former PDP chairman was content to say: “After President Jonathan had accepted defeat, congratulated Buhari and the whole world was acclaiming him, some of our party leaders now wanted me to make a statement that would ridicule me before civilized people and cause serious problems for our country.”

“Of course, I refused to do any such thing. If that was the sabotage President Jonathan is referring to, I don’t think I should apologise for that,” he added.

Election was postponed for security reasons

When the military and security chiefs demanded for more time to deal with the insurgency, the reasons were genuine. As at February 2015, it would have been very difficult to vote in Gombe, Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states. But moment all the arms and ammunition that had been ordered finally arrived, the military was able to use them to degrade the capacity of Boko Haram to the level in which they posed the threat to the election.

Obama’s Administration Undermined my Government

Applying the law introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy in 1997 on the primacy of human rights record in military operations, the Obama administration blocked the sale of arms to Nigeria, not only from America but also their allies.

That, quite naturally, made the war against Boko Haram very difficult. Explaining the rationale for the decision, the then American ambassador to Nigeria, James Entwistle, said the human rights situation was key.

In November 2014, the Nigerian government halted a U.S training of its soldiers to fight Boko Haram. Two initial phases of training had already been completed between April and August of the year, which provided previously untrained civilian personnel with basic soldering skills, while a third session had been planned with the intent of developing the battalion into a unit with advanced infantry skills.

The decision, according to a top military officer, was taken because ‘it made no sense for them to be training our officers and men, and refuse to sell us the necessary arms to fight. Were we expected to fight with our bare arms? I believe President Jonathan was correct in putting a halt to the hypocritical nonsense’.

Obama Put Pressure on UK and France to Cause my Defeat

I got on very well with Prime Minister David Cameron but at some point, I noticed that the Americans were putting pressure on him and he had to join them against me. But I didn’t know how far President Obama was prepared to go to remove me until France caved into the pressure from America.

On one occasion, following an appeal, Hollande even organised a conference in Paris with all the French-speaking countries within the sub-region. But weeks to the election, he had also joined the Americans in supporting the opposition against me.

On the Issue with America

There was this blanket accusation that my body language was supporting corruption, a line invented by the opposition but which the media and civil society bought into and helped to project to the world. That was the same thing I kept hearing from the Americans without specific allegations.

I Felt Betrayed

I felt really betrayed by the results coming from some northern states. Perhaps for ethnic purposes, even security agents colluded with the opposition to come up with spurious results against me.

You saw the way the Inspector General of Police, a man appointed by me, suddenly turned himself into the ADC to Buhari immediately after the election.

How could we have lost Ondo, Benue and Plateau States if our people were committed to the cause? If you examine the results, you will see a pattern: in place where ordinarily we were strong, our supporters did not show enough commitment to mobilise the voters.

The book will be released on Friday, April 28, 2017.

1. Brizola

April 26, 2017 at 11:17 am

Speak no more my Hero.. they have gotten their karma in Donald Trump!!! Meddlesome countries

• Oyinade

April 26, 2017 at 2:22 pm

You’re joking, right?

2. keke driver

April 26, 2017 at 11:25 am

Jonathan abeg pack go one side abeg… NIGERIANS VOTED FOR BUHARI move on abeg.

• Yorubaronu

April 26, 2017 at 11:45 am

@keke driver, the foolishness that made many of you so called ‘graduates’ without a brain of your own to vote Buhari is still afflicting you. Otherwise, you would know that GEJ has since moved on.The statements in that book were made in the aftrrmath of the election.

Moving away from the herd mentality inclined Keke Driver, I have always said that if Nigeria does not kill Arewa hypocrisy, Arewa conspiracy (not corruption) will kill Nigeria. I wont say more.

• Seye

April 26, 2017 at 11:51 am

On the contrary, Jonathan is coming back on or before June this year as the president of this country again. This is the agenda of God and it MUST come to pass

• keke driver

April 26, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Everytime you type, you display the emptiness of your character…… Did you have to display your stupidity on BN?? ineffectual buffoon like you

• Authentic Sunshine

April 26, 2017 at 7:15 pm

This bloody wife slapped up infidel has the guts to show his retarded face. Oh My!!!! The fraud and embezzlement that happened in this man’s regime has never been seen. Did this idiot give us any regular progress report as Buhari’s govt. is attempting to, no matter how little. The impunity in his regime starting from his daughter’s wedding to the total disregard of the economy and our welfare was alarming.
      This homo sabilus is a pitiable excuse for a man.

3. Tee

April 26, 2017 at 11:26 am

?

4. Ganjasquard

April 26, 2017 at 11:37 am

We all knew the us was trying to sabbotage your government since you tried to buy weapons from them and they refused and also made sure that no western country sold weapons to us, then you had to use cash which was then seen in the aeroplane and it was still this us that made the press think it was stolen money.

5. Seye

April 26, 2017 at 11:45 am

Whether Nigerians believe this or not, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is returning in few weeks time as the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The incidence will shock many but will bring great joy to Nigeria

• Lliki

April 26, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Keep dreaming man!
      God is not an author of confusion. He will never allowed this rogue to lead Nigeria and Nigerians again.

6. Alinblog9ja

April 26, 2017 at 12:45 pm

We always knew the Americans didn’t want GEJ after the anti homosexual bill. Clearly even with the genocide presently going on the Americans haven’t clearly condemned it. I hope God grants our youths the heart to hear the truth and accept it.

Obama directly addressed Nigerians in the days to the election,that is the height of interference.

Anyway, he too and his candidate were booted out of White House in a disgraceful manner

7. Las

April 26, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I guess he didn’t have anything to do with his own defeat. His inability to take responsibility for his own administration will forever echo in the annals of history. I believe this man had a one in a lifetime opportunity to create a legacy and be remembered in the same vein as Nkrumah, Awolowo and Azikwe, but failed woefully. He had such amazing goodwill coming into government, with everyone hoping he would succeed. He squandered his opportunity,

8. Suga

April 26, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Reading this really made me very sad. Poor Jonathan, it was obvious what happened from all indications because he is from the minority. Nigerians have seen the administration of their so called “from the majority” …. E bad soteh nobody get mouth to talk as it is now. Only God will save this sinking country called Nigeria, no wonder the Easterners are agitating to be Biafrans before the Northerners succed in ruining this country sooner or later. Nigeria is presently a time Bomb waiting to explode except God intervened.

• Silent Majority

April 26, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Please check the results for the 2011 elections and the states that voted for Jonathan then come back and remind me if they knew he was a minority when he won.

Please check north of the Nigerian map especially just to be clear.

9. Tee

April 26, 2017 at 1:31 pm

@Seye, I will wait till few weeks time when Jonathan becomes president before I comment on this. Hmmmmm

10. Chief

April 26, 2017 at 1:49 pm

I have come to the conclusion that Nigeria main problem is our country’s incurable obsession with tribal identity and it flourishes in Nigeria mainly it is an effective tool used by elite to gain government patronage.It is promoted by the most educated,powerful political elites among us,embraced by the young and old,passed from generation to generation and has even crept into our constitution.Nigerians are obsessed with ethnicity that they voted a clueless and visionless old man into power,A man with no ordinary” WAEC” certificate.SMH!!.Infact,Nigerians are tribal junkies…period

11. John

April 26, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Obama!!obama!! I hate that man even more than buhari

12. Silent majority

April 26, 2017 at 2:25 pm

What about when you won in 2011 sir? Did jega disappoint you then? When you sat and allowed Boko Haram destroy and occupy entire local governments plus launch attacks right in Abuja. Were you disappointed then? When 5 Northern states voted for you en masse in 2011 were you also disappointed? When you signed and allowed billions of dollars to leave the CBN for your elections… were you disappointed sir?
    You did the unbelievable in conceding the election when almost everyone else would have refused and remained in power against all odds. You did it. No one can ever take that away fro you or our history.
    Let us remember you for this one act and many other good things that happened under you in spite of the bad.
    The incumbents participation in an election is not a guarantee of victory (even if we like to think so in Nigeria)
    We were all disappointed in various ways; under you and now under Buhari.
    Allow us to remember you in the light which you left and not the one you’re attempting to shine on history.

13. Ogbuefi

April 26, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Americans voted for DT just the way we voted massively for GEJ in 2011 and PMB in 2015. Whether they are achievers or under-performers right now, it is an issue for another day. Now that his perceived enemies are no longer on seat (Obama, Cameron etc), let him warm up for 2019 and test his might. After all, Fayose came out from hibernation in 2014 after his impeachment in 2006 to win Ekiti Guber polls.

14. Lol

April 26, 2017 at 3:37 pm

If I die and come back again I would still vote for buhari over stealing johnathan. This man and he’s whole adminstration drained nigeria of every dollar

• Anonymous

April 26, 2017 at 10:37 pm

@lol why will anyone want to come back a Nigerian?

15. Seye

April 26, 2017 at 3:37 pm

According to the word of God, Jonathan will not only return as the president of this country, shortly, Tunde Bakare will replace Oshinbajo as the vice president while Buhari will become a pastor. Yes, he will declare Jesus publicly. A lot of other miracles are outlines by God for this season such as the world has never seen before. Many will come from far to see what God is doing in Nigeria. There will be a massive revival in the North and many will also declare Jesus as their savior. Its a new dawn for Nigeria and Africa.

• Lol

April 26, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Close ya teet

• blackbeatle

April 26, 2017 at 4:00 pm

seye na wa for you..your prediction is bizarre and hilarious..so everybody worked against jonathan for no reason they just got up one day despite the fact that he maintained a cordial relationship with them….Im wary of people who refuse to accept some responsibility ..at least some …since we always talk about Gods will in this country..why can’t we accept this one as one of His wills.

• Cocolette

April 26, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Lol. Seye warrisdis?

• Bimbo

April 26, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Seye, I was scared at first but I get you now. Nice one

16. Seye

April 26, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Nigerians missed it when we chose a Saul as king ignoring the wisdom of God. Like the biblical Israel, we have suffered and would have continued but for the mercies of God. However, there is no solution to Nigeria’s situation unless we go back and revisit the decision reached in 2015 and go the path of God which is bring Jonathan back. He is man’s reject but God’s elect. This is why June is very crucial to God. June marks the 2nd year anniversary of Buhari’s government and incidentally the end! He dare not try sitting on that throne (throne of fire) after that period.

17. Seye

April 26, 2017 at 3:51 pm

The solution to the economic recession in Nigeria has defiled the solution by the best brains in Nigeria. You know why? It is more spiritual than economic. God made sure the illegitimate government of King Saul (which is a product of man’s wisdom) will not make any progress until we go back to David, who incidentally is Jonathan.

The truth about the Chibok girls will come out very soon and we will all know the truth. The on going panel set up by Osinbajo rather than convict Jonathan will vindicate him and set up themselves like the story of Mordecai and Haman in the book of Esther.

• Anonymous

April 26, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Please use your drugs and faaaasssstttt

18. Alin

April 26, 2017 at 5:08 pm

19. Lami

April 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm

This guy is a joke just like his wife, forward ever.

20. M

April 26, 2017 at 5:29 pm

You made mistakes Jonathan, but some of us we knew this. Big ones. You were too soft to a fault. Naive even. From Muazu, to tambuwal to sa raki to Sanusi to all those evil greedy traitors….we saw them. You are a child of destiny, i cant explain how God works for you.Don’t worry can’t you see how God is punishing them already especially their foreign financiers and enablers. This is why I can never feel bad for Obama and Clinton. Karma is dealing with all of them as for those local ones it has just started.

21. Lami

April 26, 2017 at 5:34 pm

This man is a joke same as his wife

22. BEAUTIFUL

April 26, 2017 at 7:57 pm

@Authentic Darkness I have noticed how badly you hate GEJ, you are a very stupid human, which fraud and embezzlement that happened during the immediate past government that is not happening now even in double folds . You are a hypocrite and a big fool not to notice the hardship most Nigerians are going through under this evil government of APC and illiterate,ghost,invisible and part time President. You hypocrite, so you pretend not to notice the level of hunger, injustice, religious bigotry, deceit and corruption in the land today you fool . BN post my comment pls don’t be discriminatory in the way you post comments o we are all entitled to our own opinion!

23. BEAUTIFUL

April 26, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Bella naija well done! Why are you discriminatory in the way you post comments? It’s like you have your favorites because I can’t understand why you always refuse to post my comments, I don’t see what I have written that others that you post their comments have not written.. I wrote my comments addressing that stupid Authentic Sunshine or whatever he or she calls him or herself… it’s like you prefer comments that always insult GEJ and wife ok I get it .. good luck to you!

24. Toni

April 27, 2017 at 3:37 am

Good morning.GEK.

25. Seye

April 27, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Jonathan is not only coming back very soon, God told me He is going to transform his wife Patience Jonathan in similar fashion as what happened in Beauty and the beast. Complete physical, spiritual and character make over. It will be like someone dropping her old body for a new one. This is a miracle the world has not seen But God says He will do it very soon ion Nigeria.