Scoop

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie kicks off Project ‘Wear Nigerian’ & Opens Official Instagram Account

BellaNaija.com

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is on Instagram!
This is great news for all her fans – especially for those who love her unique style.

According to the author, she has been tasked by her nieces to open an official Instagram page and with it, she plans on kicking off a project to ‘Wear Nigerian’.

Quite exciting!

She says:

The Nigerian government’s disastrous economic policies have led to a reduction in the value of the naira and therefore in disposable income, a change in values, a disorientation of the middle class, and most of all, to a debilitating sense of uncertainty.

If we are to grasp for a silver lining, then the ‘Buy Nigerian to Grow The Naira’ rhetoric is one.

In that spirit, I recently decided to wear mostly Nigerian brands for my public appearances. (Before, by the way, President Buhari declared ‘Made in Nigeria dress’ days.)

In the past few weeks, I’ve bought more Nigerian brands than I ever have in the past. I’ve discovered new names. I’ve been filled with admiration for the women and men running their businesses despite the many challenges they face. I’m particularly interested in ‘inward-looking’ brands, those for whom dressing Nigerian women is as important as other goals.

I’ve changed quite a few dodgy zippers, been disappointed by some poor quality fabrics, and been impressed by some detail-oriented finishing. Overall, I love the clothes, their cut, their whimsy, their color, their flair, their ability to make me feel like myself. Their makers, from designer to tailor to button-fixer to okada-delivery-person, deserve to be supported.

At the suggestion of my very au fait nieces Chisom and Amaka – who think Aunty is a hilarious luddite dinosaur (and they have a point, sadly) – I am now on Instagram at chimamanda_adichie documenting my ‘Wear Nigerian’ project.

~CNA

See some of her fab style below.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @The_LadyMaker

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @Nuraniyastudios

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @MsBeefab

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @LolaBaej

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @Greyprojects

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @KareemAmak

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @GozelGreen

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @Fashpa

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @EricandAnna.ng

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Outfit – @Dzynbabe

For more, follow her official Instagram account here.

Photo Credit: Instagram.com/chimamanda_adichie

1. Ranyinudo

May 8, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Bae?

• kkay

May 8, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Chimamanda, you are beautiful through and through.

2. Beauty and brain

May 8, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Class and style, proudly Nigerian.

3. molarah

May 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Nice one.

Back to me: what “project” can I start as part of efforts to lift Nigeria out of recession?#asknotwhatyourcountrycandoforyou

4. The Real Oma

May 8, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Love love love,
    always

5. Deee

May 8, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Way to go Chimamanda! But please don’t just patronize the rich brands, by rich brands I mean designers who have benefited from the loot of Nigeria , who have had it easy and their fathers just give them money : you want to make cloth take go to milian learn, open stores in ikoyi, maitama. Please patronize the people who truely sweat and try to make a name. Thank you

• A Real Nigerian

May 8, 2017 at 1:54 pm

We NEED more people like you.

• Mama

May 8, 2017 at 3:04 pm

My dear!!!
      Me I love to “wear Nigeria” but awon H&M and Zara and Primark is kuku cheaper.
      Sadly our 9ja designers a overrrrrr priced!!!

• S

May 8, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Patronise people who are good at their job…whether privileged or not. Everyone deserves recognition for their talent.

• k girl

May 8, 2017 at 5:20 pm

So because some have it handed on a platter means they do not work equally as hard? Please go away

• Fisayo

May 9, 2017 at 10:26 am

Your question is a contradiction in itself.

Please read it again. SLOOOOOOWLY.

• Regina

May 8, 2017 at 5:31 pm

That’s hard though, innit? Because the ones that have gone to Milan to learn have come back with an understanding of fit and finish, and they make clothes that look and feel good. While there are good homegrown designers here, “needle in a haystack” is just the beginning of finding them. We need the transfer of knowledge in order for the industry to leapfrog ahead,

6. Ewa

May 8, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Kudos to you… Great initiative..

7. pretty

May 8, 2017 at 1:39 pm

sorry, i dont like you

• Kosi

May 8, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I just fought the urge to ignore this comment. Sorry, says you have to like her? Who says she cares about your like? Who says she wants to be liked more or less by someone like you? Who says this post was made for you? Please take this bitterness and channel it into becoming a better person, a kinder person and a loving person!

• meems

May 8, 2017 at 1:53 pm

And sorry, she cares?

• Agu

May 8, 2017 at 2:35 pm

I like her so your hate don’t matter

• kkay

May 8, 2017 at 2:40 pm

You, @pretty are “pretty” much petty.

8. Buhahaha

May 8, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Like she sabi you

9. Author Unknown

May 8, 2017 at 2:24 pm

“The Nigerian government’s disastrous economic policies have led to a reduction in the value of the naira…”

Wrong Chimamanda. It should read “Unrestrained corrupt practices by the previous Nigerian government, and the recent oil glut, have led to a reduction…” or skipped altogether, if you don’t have an understanding of economics.

• saide

May 8, 2017 at 3:50 pm

and from your ‘understanding of economics”,the present adminstration is FREE from corrupt practices?.
      If you understand anything about economics,you would know that you cannot just make such a statement as ” “Unrestrained corrupt practices by the previous Nigerian government, and the recent oil glut, have led to a reduction”.
      Infact methinks she has more understanding than you,remember Nigeria is just coming out of a recession that we cant say was caused a 100% by the present administration (though emefiele’s policies left us wondering) ,we do know that the fall in the value of the naira didnt start with the last administration and except you are a part of the problem,you will realise that ALL(including the present) government administrations have paid lip service to improving the lot of Nigerians! so if she says “THE GOVERNMENT” to refer to all of them ,then she has a wonderful grasp of economics.

• Author Unknown

May 8, 2017 at 7:36 pm

The two points I have raised are the reason for the current tough fiscal measures. Plain and simple. If you think that the last administration has nothing to do with Nigeria’s current predicament, I’m sorry, but I can’t help you. I’m not partisan. Just pointing out the fact that Chimamanda, who has the platform, should be careful how she uses it, and not let her biases mislead the public. You’re clearly as sentimental as she is on the issue, and obviously still sore losers from the last general elections.

• saide

May 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm

@authour unknown,but are they really the only reasons?A country that produces crude oil,sells it to have it finished and then imports it again.do we need leaders as bright as Eistein to know what to do?.ALL our leaders so far have been brought into power through GODFATHERISM-something that renders them impotent and continuing the trend of senseless waste.

economists argue that corruption is one variable that isnt being captured in the models that is put forth for africa and that is one main reason why models dont work in this part of the world.

I find it laughable that people who can barely stand being referred to as biased ,manage to refer to others who make balanced statements as biased.I said the last administration was corrupt and didnt do much,do you think you can agree that this present administration is no better? Wit a minute.they are actually better at mudslinging and distracting the populace and NEVER getting past THE PAST!(pls when was the election again?)

10. Agu

May 8, 2017 at 2:37 pm

She is very nationalistic that’s why I love her. She fearlessly promote Nigeria globally.

11. True Talk

May 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I hope these designers are getting paid and these clothes are not being worn for free? One of the things killing Nigerian fashion designers is celebrities who wear their clothes for free in the name of giving them shout outs on the red carpets and on their social media pages.

• Anon

May 8, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Can you comprehend? Did you read what she said at all?

• Fisayo

May 9, 2017 at 10:29 am

Let me help:

Chimamanda said and I quote from the article:

“In the past few weeks, I’ve **bought** more Nigerian brands than I ever have in the past.”

12. Pamela

May 8, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Effortlessly chic!!! Beauty and brains ???

13. Pita

May 8, 2017 at 4:37 pm

EricandAnna. ng. ……beautiful

14. Anons

May 8, 2017 at 4:44 pm

@Deee ERM are you referring to any of the brands posted above? Please share so that we can all boycott

15. Letty

May 8, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Im surprised she’s just catching on. I have loved Nigerian designers for years after living in the USA for 2 decades i am over American clothes. They lack ingenuity and are bland and tailored to fit caucasian women’s body types. When im in nigeria i am in awe of the sheer ingenuity. I do not patronize the wealthy so called designers. There are roadside tailors shose sheer craftsmanship is amazing despite meager resources. When im in the usa white black asian and other races stare at me in awe. Asking where i got my clothes from. Touching me gawking and so on. This is not even in their nature. Meanwhile ppl in nigeria want every thing western. .. we need to have a rethink.

16. Boywonder™

May 8, 2017 at 8:23 pm

nice move. Love the outfits though, they are lovely on her.

17. Hmmm

May 9, 2017 at 1:30 pm

And how much do they cost again? How many average Nigerian girls can afford to wear them recession or not? Peharps your project should discover hidden, affordable and excellent brands that haven’t made a name yet for themselves. Give them the publicity that these brands already have.

• Idomagirl

May 13, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Is she forcing the “average” girl to wear these brands?
      Abeg.
      Let everyone buy the one their hand can reach.

18. Idomagirl