Scoop

Femi Branch’s estranged Wife Ibitola narrates how Their 10-year Marriage crashed

BellaNaija.com

BellaNaija - Femi Branch's estranged Wife Ibitola narrates how Their 10-year Marriage crashed

Last week, it was reported that Nollywood actor Femi Branch is set to wed again after separating from his the mother of his two children, Ibitola. She has now come out to clear the air on their separation in an exclusive interview with Encomium.

In the interview, Ibitola narrates a story of how she had to leave her husband because he turned violent and beat her in the presence of his friend. She also stated that the actor was irresponsible and had basically no hand in taking care of the children.

Read excerpts from the interview below:

On the circumstances leading to her leaving their matrimonial home:

I came back from work that day, and he went out as well. I waited till 11 pm and I didn’t see him. I tried calling him on phone when I didn’t see him. He complained that I was screaming, I apologized for screaming and I asked him for his whereabouts. I told him he wouldn’t have gone that long since he wasn’t on location. All he said was that he was coming, he also said I was screaming which I apologised for again. But Femi did not come back to the house till 1am. I was up waiting since he said he was coming. When he came, I went to open the gate and I told his friend that I wouldn’t come down that late again if he comes back late. I was really upset. I asked his friend to warn him because of another time. I added that he should be telling me if he would come home or not because that wasn’t his first time. The next thing Femi said was, “You dey craze.” And I replied the same way. He started bragging, “Do you know who you are talking to? I am Femi Branch,” and he descended on me and started beating me. He was hitting me hard and his friend was trying to stop him. He left me and went upstairs and told me to meet him upstairs. His friend said I shouldn’t go, but where will I go by that time? So I went upstairs. Femi continued beating me and insulting me. His friend tried to intervene again, all these while I never raised my hands against him. You can imagine him with his stature hitting me. His friend said I shouldn’t sleep in the house, so I followed him because he was also a married man with a kid. I slept in his house that night.

The truth is, that was the first time. But before then, he had pushed me hard against the bed that I almost hit my head on the wall. That was two years ago. Such things don’t happen without signs, him pushing me the first time and now beating me. It could develop into something else. I have always said  I can’t stay in a marriage if the man is beating me, I know I can get killed if it continues. I have risked my life enough in that marriage so I decided to leave.

The second day, his younger brother asked me to come over to his own house as he wasn’t happy I was staying in a friend’s house. I moved there and was shuttling between that place and my sister’s house till I could get a place of my own.

On signs she had noticed before the marriage:

The issue is that we women see signs even before marriage. I would like to say that Femi came extremely late on our wedding day. People were already waiting for almost three hours before Femi came and he was not apologetic about it? It took him almost three hours before he showed up and he was not remorseful about it. Then, when I got married to him, he has only paid my daughter’s school fees for just one term. My daughter is nine years, that means I am the one who has been responsible for her upkeep.

On his excuse for being irresponsible:

He made me believe he does not have money. Later on, I heard he goes out and spends money anyhow. He goes to clubs, pops champagne and spends crazily. It was a regular occurrence, people used to call me that he was in one hotel or the other. There was this particular day someone called me that he was in a hotel spending money. That person knew Femi was not responsible at home. All I was trying to do was to patch the marriage and make sure things were fine. You know in the African setting when you are married, you have to endure. Up till this moment that I am talking to you, he doesn’t know how his children are eating or faring. The last time he saw them was January this year. He said they should spend the New Year with him and he returned them empty handed.

On instances where he showed his irresponsibility:

He would tell me he has gone on location and he would lodge in a hotel, do whatever he likes. There was a time he was part of the crew following Jimi Agbaje during his campaign period. I was in Abeokuta then. After the whole exercise, everybody left the hotel except Femi. He was enjoying himself. One of his colleagues whom I had complained to called me to inform me that he was the only one left in the hotel. It is the same hotel he is indebted to now. He has a case at the Ikeja magistrate court. The story is true that he was locked up in Kirikiri. He is owing the hotel to the tune of millions.

On his family’s stance:

Funny enough, he has a very wonderful family. They knew about it and spoke with him severally. In fact, his family made me stay this long in the marriage. His family complained and talked to him, they did everything they could. It is only prayer that can change him, Femi lies a lot.

Source: Encomium

Photo Credit: Nigerian Monitor

1. xo

May 30, 2017 at 4:35 pm

bn always in a hurry to break exclusive only to have up typos all over the place

bad taste

2. Bennie

May 30, 2017 at 4:36 pm

hmmmmm, its okay! and so the drama begins

3. moi

May 30, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Toh! this woman-beating issue have now become the song of every broken home. These people are just trying to make marriage scary for the single ones. I wish the likes of Joke Silva & Olu Jacob and Wunmi & Tunde Obe can speak on what have kept them this long cos “I am not understanding” again

• Seriously

May 30, 2017 at 7:12 pm

I’m single but I’m not scared. The couples with drama make the most headlines. My parent didn’t have the best of marriage but that doesn’t stop me from believing in marriage.
      It just made me more careful, selective in the type of man to choose as my long life partner. Also, I see it’s not bed of roses, you have to work at it. But I know there are couples with healthy, well rounded and successful marriages out there. My uncle and aunt are one of those people. Individually, they are amazing and together they are incredible.

I still believe it takes two to tango. Also, people don’t take time to work, develop on their individual selves. Their character and integrity. Marriage is not just about sex, kids, and the celebration of wedding.

P.S if you are a victim of domestic violence, constant cheating stop blaming the other person. Take a look at yourself, and deal with your inner issues and what is making you tolerate that.
      Some women tolerate such because they are guilty of something. Whatever it is work on yourself.

• Baymax

May 30, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Stop asking Olu Jacobs & Joke Silva or Tunde & Wumi to talk as if their marriages are perfect. Do you know what happens behind closed doors?

• Jade Edo babe

May 30, 2017 at 10:14 pm

@seriously ?
      Na truth you dey talk. The typos for this website is on becoming. Una wan kill us, it’s not fair sha. It just went from class to razz.
      Marriage is not the problem, the two abi na three people involved is the problem.
      Even all these Yoruba demons people dey yarn, my best boyfriends have been Yorubas. Na individual tin. I know, some big mouth go say why u no marry any. I was young, even now in my mid 20’s I don’t feel ready for marriage. Fear dey catch me small.
      My dad wasn’t around, my stepdad only God has helped me forgive that man based on what he did to me. It still doesn’t make me hate naija men and men in general. I’ve met some really good men. Larries, if you attract bad men abeg you too na bad woman. Ok, not all the time but take a look at yourself as seriously mentioned.
      Me o, when I get married I want to just face my marriage not compare to anybody. It’s me, God and hubby. It won’t be perfect but I pray God helps both of us to work through problems. Papa God, no cheating and beating, I go waka fast.

4. Kbear

May 30, 2017 at 4:45 pm

*oops*

5. Queeneth

May 30, 2017 at 4:48 pm

I don’t know their story but this woman kinda sounds believable.

Sources also have it that Femi is getting married to a British-Nigerian lady…

Well, anything for the mulla!

• LemmeRant

May 30, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Unfortunately I can’t take anything you say seriously with that kind of dp pose.

…just saying.

6. Billionaire in grace

May 30, 2017 at 4:59 pm

He is liar that’s why he is an actor lol lol

7. jide

May 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm

But who would want to marry Femi Branch in the first place? Lol. Naija women always feeling special not asking why the first wife left. My bother’s sis in law almost married one agbero boy in Misourri that time. She bailed the moment she heard his first marriage only last 4 months. The guy blamed the ex turns out he was the one cheating and beating his ex wife. Women shine your eyes. The signs are always there

• LadyDee

May 31, 2017 at 1:26 am

Lmaoooo my thoughts exactly hahahahahaha. Why would anyone want to marry this dude. I’m in tears

8. john

May 30, 2017 at 5:08 pm

divorce seekers ..una food don ready

9. Chief

May 30, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Here we go again with victim mentality.Women,this victim mentality/card has to go..Haba!!.

Anyway another story of a nagging wife.So many men have had to endure this constant nagging of a woman,some women just don’t know when to stop,they go on and on and on as if their mouths are incapable of becoming tired as if they took nagging 101 course..At what point will we accept that nagging does not work??? Nagging is the most thing men hate in relationship/marriage.This is one trait no man loves.Nagging leads to domestic violence and it is relationship/marriage destroyer.There’s nothing worse to a man than a woman who constantly nag.Complaining and being negative will just create more aggravation and division within your relationship/marriage.The response and reaction that you get is simply his attempt to shut the hell up.When a man feels attacked,talked down to or even disrespected,he reacts/burst.period!

Women will complain ceaselessly and expect men to move it the minute they are asked to do something.It doesn’t work that way.You have done your job of asking your partner to do something so leave it to him.Another thing that pisses most men off is sounding pushy or dominant when talking to him instead of disguising your voice.as a woman.From her story,if true Femi being the henpecked husband tried desperately to escape her clutches but she keeps harping away.Not only femi,many men no longer want to rush home because they don’t want to deal with their wives mouths.

Moral of the story,As i always say i don’t condone violence but flying in rages and using nagging/anger to condition/manipulate men is simply nothing more than narcissistic and sociopathic behavior which will always put women in trouble.And we men must be men of words and give our women less reason to even consider nagging us but some women use it as a manipulation tactics.Secondly,All men cheat,it’s all biological in the end,no amount of talk is going to refute biological conditions.Women need to understand that men are polygamous in nature.Men want to have sex with many women and it takes a great effort for a man to stay committed to one woman.Men high testosterone makes it hard for us to limit our dicks to one woman.

• Anon

May 30, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Continue. It is the same lack of self discipline that landed robbers and thieves in jail that you are toying with. But your own might not be jail. I pray for you now. You won’t contract deadly diseases or end up having several unborn children’s blood on your head because of abortions nor bring innocent kids who you obviously won’t be able to give enough time, love and care because you lack control to discipline yourself from sowing your seeds all over town.

When God says don’t fornicate or commit adultery. He wasn’t saying it as a joke. There are consequences. Several consequences aside the ones that I wrote above. I don’t know why some human beings don’t love to live a peaceful existence and less dramatic life. What isn’t good for you isn’t good for you. God knows that. And he didn’t say that goes only for women. It applies to both men and women. Go and work on your self discipline and control and stop making silly excuses.

Even if you are an unbeliever, think of it from a scientific and psychology point of view, have all the sleeping around do anything positive or progressive in your life. Just igbadun iseju die, you use few minutes enjoyment to ruin your sanity and the little control you have over your life challenges. Okay. That’s how some of you will change your destiny. A pada si buruku, Olorun ma je kaari. SMH. If you look at it from a scientific and psychological point of view, most of all these sleeping around is just springing up more diseases, broken homes, children who haven’t been given adequate family support, emotional and psychological trauma and etc. Iranu ati oshi le n se, asan lori asan. Eni n wa’fa o n w’ofo.

Uncle, please stop with the excuses and work on your self discipline, self respect and personal growth. The ability to have a straightforward direction in life that makes an already tough life a bit more sane and balance is what makes a man, a real man. Only wimps make excuses for their inadequacies. Boohoo, poor men, they can’t control or help it. Oshi. Ejo m be l’orun arokawomori. Some of you when you die and finally realise there is a heaven….your hands will be on your head for not making a better effort at bettering your person. Lack of self control is a character deficiency. Stop making excuses for it. Oshisco.

Even if there is no heaven, for the sake of humanity and not causing another person emotional pain and trauma try to better your person or better still go and be sleeping with prostitutes only. At least those ones know the real scores. They have zero emotional expectations so long as you pay them and if you contract some diseases through them, please don’t spread them.

What a doomed world. Olorun saanu. Ese ko n po si. Laisi eri okan. More and more sin. Zero remorse or conscience. And we wonder why there is so much bad and awful things are happening in the world. We are the architects of our own destruction. O dabo. Carry on.

• MamaPut

June 1, 2017 at 7:34 am

you Mr. Chief is a sorry excuse for a man……you need serious help if deep down you believe all men cheat??? and please how did u deduce this was a case of nagging o???

10. Pamela

May 30, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Ha’an BN slow down! Your typos are becoming too much abeg. Are you in such a hurry to post that you don’t chill and edit properly? Back to the matter on ground… years ago when I watched Femi Branch in Dominos (soap opera) I had a feeling it was a reflection of his character in real life. I was right!

• Fifi

May 30, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Wasnt the interview lifted from ecomium or i am the only who saw that

11. Tee

May 30, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Lol @ Tunde and Wunmi Obe, abeg go Ipaja abi na Egbeda go find that out. Wunmi went through hell. I love this Femi Branch wife, she no even waste time before she comot cos she get her money. As for Olu Jacobs, hmmmmm. E no be saint o back in the day but since the wife tolerate the shina who are we to judge. Pls stop comparing and using people as yardstick, wait till you hear from the woman. Wetin some of these women don take is what most of you complain about and say God forbid, but they chose to stay.

• Joke

May 31, 2017 at 12:47 am

No be only shina. Olu Jacobs beat Joke. She just endured and stayed…

12. Darius

May 30, 2017 at 5:47 pm

He said, “you dey craze? ” and I responded the same. By answering back, you indirectly asked to be beaten. I’m not saying he was right in insulting her, but she ought to have known better than bandy words with him, knowing that he is violent, and was probably drunk.

How did she stay with him for nine years? A violent and irresponsible man that he is! Women! They can go to any length to tarnish a man’s image. I’m not saying Femi is innocent of these allegations, but I don’t think she is being honest.

• Anon

May 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Selective reading? She has owned up to her own choice. From what I read he married her after they had have a daughter together whom he only paid her school fees once, just a term, since their daughter has been in school and till now that she is 9. She also stated she did saw signs, such as, he was 3 hours late to their wedding ceremony without any remorse or apology. She chose, in the past, to stay and endure but more and more signs are springing up, she said this was her limit and she left. So what is this that you wrote here. The woman has already owned up to her own end in this. And the fact that she even admitted that she insulted him back shows she isn’t mincing her words. She is saying it as it is. Moreover, you and I (male & female respectively) have no right to hit anyone if they retaliate verbally when we abuse them verbally even if we are drunk or not. So for instance, while he was beating her she died, will he face the court and tell them to let him go because he had to beat her for retaliating by verbally abusing him in return. Would his excuses that he has anger issues and he was drunk sufficient for a judge? SMH. Let’s be logical and reasonable.

13. Fola

May 30, 2017 at 6:22 pm

I thought exactly the same thing when I remembered he acted the role of an abusive husband in the soap opera.

14. Anon

May 30, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Nigerian women need to stop thinking their I’m-a-main chick-so-long-as-I-get-the-ring mentality will suffice in marriage. If you are enduring all sort during the dating phase, you have to leave and not let it proceed to marriage. If it does proceed to marriage and it ends badly, which such rships mostly and always do, please try not to play victim. Tell the whole truth and use it to educate other average Nigerian women who believe in that rubbish mentality. If it is because you believed you invested in the guy, then next time only invest what won’t hurt you too much when things don’t work out. After all we will all impact each other lives as our paths cross, either negatively or positively. Even the negative impact can be turned into positive in form of lessons learnt. Only invest what you can let go off in a rship and friendship. There is no such thing as I suffer with him, I must die with him. You only invested for your own interest if that’s the case. And when you make bad investment, you have no choice but to take it in a stride. If you invest out of love, it isn’t the investment that will make you stay and endure or make you angry or hurt when things turn sour, it is the love you have for the person and whatever awful things your partner did to you. And with time you will heal. But if it is the awful mentality, you will continue to feel entitled and bitter. You have done your best by your partner, let God do his best for you.

• Shior

May 30, 2017 at 6:44 pm

If I could like this more than once I would a gazillion times. If this ain’t the truth. My mum always says no carry man put for head just born your children and live your life because this life is already short if you let man wahala hold you the already short life will be shorter.

15. Anon

May 30, 2017 at 6:55 pm

lol why do people doubt accounts about Nigerian men beating and cheating on their wives? It’s so freaking common, from MD to mechanic. The same way any account of a Nigerian woman mistreating her nanny is probably true. When a nanny’s story comes up here, no one doubts it, everyone believes and they insult the madam and all women, plus happily use that as an excuse to bash feminism (even though most Nigerian women don’t even identify as feminists). As for people quoting Olu Jacobs and Tunde Obe, long marriage isn’t equals to happy and healthy marriage. Stop shaming people who choose to walk away with such backhanded comments. So you’d rather be married forever to a shit man or be single and fulfilled without fear or being beaten to death? The Nigerian obsession with marriage is going to send so many people to hell because it’s unbiblical to idolise something so much. You judge gay people but you tolerate and excuse cheating when adultery is one of the 10 commandments? Maybe if men see that women are walking away and they could face public ridicule or even legal repercussions, they will reduce their ill treatment. Same way I hope domestic help will start speaking up and any madams mistreating them will get punished too

16. funmilola

May 30, 2017 at 7:08 pm

You saw the signs, yet you went ahead to marry him…..I’m getting tired of these stories, it’s annoying. Thank God you’re wise enough to get out now.

17. Hmmm

May 30, 2017 at 7:33 pm

”Tis the season of domestic violence and separation or divorce.

18. Nene

May 30, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Women and Men in bad or failed marriages pick the wrong spouses with their eyes wide open. Make good choices!

• Mawi

May 31, 2017 at 6:27 am

Bless you!!

19. Nene

May 30, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Another tip for women, don’t marry a Nigerian actor. They’re are either broke or gigolos.

• Bad gang

May 31, 2017 at 9:26 am

Lmao…tip for men, don’t marry a nigerian actress. They are either broke, infected with STIs or prostitutes

20. International Lover

May 30, 2017 at 8:14 pm

“Femi branches into women” – His surname might not be doing him a favor.

Why do women think having a baby or getting pregnant first for a man before marriage will lead to a great marriage. If the signs were there during courtship, and you refuse to address it, it won’t change after marriage…. It gets worse

Whose idea was the marriage? if he felt no remorse for turning up late at his own wedding ceremony. I hop it had nothing to do with the parents.

21. Annonymous

May 30, 2017 at 8:16 pm

hmmm! dont really know how true d story is cos am not in there home but the irresponsible part is possibly true cos I happen to work in a school his children were they left because of the pilled up debt they can not pay and the woman keep giving the proprietress the husband’s number to call which he never show up I guess the woman has had it up to choking point then cos she is always d one responsible 4 everythg. I know that part to be true even the dept remain unpaid till today

22. zeda

May 30, 2017 at 8:24 pm

This woman is so funny..yes I believe her and the situation is indeed pathetic..the way she told the story and painted Femi is extremely funny..

23. Bigjay

May 31, 2017 at 11:18 am

I thought only Linda ikeji dished out non sense gist like this, bothering on peoples misfortune, but I guess Bella naija wants a piece of the action, this is trash journalism at its highest point.

24. Ammie

May 31, 2017 at 5:52 pm

And that’s why God said in the Quran that u can marry more than one wife so far u can take care of them. Because God knows that man is polygamous in nature and He will rather u marry a woman to protect her and respect her than use her as a side chick. Enuf said.

• Ajiun

June 3, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Oh please. God also allowed many biblical figures in the old testament to marry more than one wife and have several concubines. We all saw how that ended. He didn’t want Sarah to give her husband another wife because He knows the consequences of polygamy; we saw the end result. With all the wives David had and concubines, he still couldn’t control himself, he killed another man and coveted his wife; we saw the repercussions of this too. what about Kong Solomon. So many examples! Go and read all your scriptures properly, with a clear and logical mind. Osha je n pe meji obinrin o de nu; just like men don’t like to share their women, women also don’t like to share their men.

And stop quoting the Quran, it also insist that the man must love each women equally, provide for them equally, love their children equally and provide for their children equally. How is that possible?!! Basically, the Quran was giving humans a condition that can’t be fulfilled but as always humans will twist thing for their own gratifications, lack of self control & discipline and selfishness. Using religion as an excuse for lack of self discipline. Rubbish.

25. Ify

January 15, 2019 at 4:33 pm

I totally agree with this woman, I have a personal encounter with femi. He is truly in responsible and a big liar. Way back 2010 he usually put up with my boyfriend anytime he is in Abj, he asked me for a loan to make up for his flight fare till the last time I called his line, he either gives the phone to someone to answer or never pick at all. He did this to so many friends in Abuja that I can’t mention right now. That woman sha try.