Scoop

“It doesn’t have to be perfect but surely some couples are making it” – Zainab Balogun Speaks on the Alarming Increase of Failed Marriages

BellaNaija.com

Due to the recent high rise of marriages falling apart in the public eye, TV presenter, actress and host Zainab Balogun, took to her social media page to rant about the alarming increase saying it was heartbreaking to see these marriages fall apart and that surely there must be a happy story somewhere.

Read her tweets below

1. deee

May 5, 2017 at 4:33 pm

“On another note, being a gist bearer is only fun when you’re a kid. As an adult its distressing….” – couldn’t have said it better. This is why I zone out when someone is downloading things I do not need to know.

I guess just where i am right now in life; time wasting gist are just time wasting;

• Life is eazi

May 5, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Well, you didn’t zone out on this one. Neither did she. She wrote about the gists she must have heard. And you are also contributing to it. If you both are zoning out or not wanting the downloads, we won’t have this post nor both yours and Zainab’s input on this topic.

As humans, we are all always going to see and dissect different issues and situations. But the important question is, are we doing that to educate and enlighten ourselves or just for pure entertainment? For me the latter is a big NO, I rather pick out what I learnt from the situation, say two prayers, that I don’t face such challenges the person we talk about faces and that God helps the person overcome their challenges and turbulence. Sometimes, I don’t even bother to discuss with anyone, I just see things, learn, pray, be more alert and move on from the topic. But to pretend as human that we don’t download information about others’ mayhem is quite pretentious or unrealistic. We can only quantify how much or how often we lay off gist. The less, the healthier for the mind and soul. Nevertheless, we need to discuss issues from an educative point of view more. So it is inevitable, we will download gist.

With that said. May God help us all learn to be a better person via our personal experiences and that of others’. And if you don’t believe in God, may you have good logical reasoning and compassion to better your person, for yourself and your environment. We are all not infallible. We fail and we rise. Cheers.

2. Nicex

May 5, 2017 at 4:54 pm

There is great wisdom in what Zainab is saying. There is a reason why the bible says we should guide ours hearts diligently because out of it comes the issues of life. What you allow in is what comes out eventually.

3. Me

May 5, 2017 at 5:24 pm

The worst part is, the poor children involved are going to grow up to see all this mess about their parents online!. How will they not be dysfunctional? Everybody should just calm down with this social media thing. It has gotten waaay out of hand.

4. Robin Hood

May 5, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Every couple goes through a rocky patch once in a while in their marriage and it takes maturity to resolve it without external help from extended family and friends. The problem I see are the so called’ slay queens’ who must announce every little thing on Instagram- both good and bad. Things that some everyday couples enjoy but don’t make noise about because they were strong enough to toughen up and bite the bullet rather than announce on Instagram. I recall seeing my parents arguing but never to the point of telling the entire street, even when neighboring houses heard the bickering.
    Instagram was not an option for them or me…..lol

LESSON; Keep your relationships private

5. person

May 5, 2017 at 5:53 pm

I once had an issue in my marriage. I told one person– that singular decision almost broke my marriage. What was the issue- my husband was out of job and I was on maternity which meant I couldnt work. The person I told advised me to pack out of my husbands house and go and find another man to marry. I ALMOST, foolishly listened. If Not for the holy spirit that cautioned me and advised to hold on. That was 10 years ago. Hubby has since started working. Point is- there are some issues that can be resolved quietly , and will eventually go away when you toughen it out- and there are some that need external intervention. whatever you choose to do- please DO NOT let instgram with its faceless opinions be the one you turn to.

6. caramel chic

May 5, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Lord give us grace and compassion for one another.
    Two grown adults from different families, bloodlines, and hearts living together in peace, forever and ever and ever!! That can only be GRACE and selfcontrol
    For the couples that don’t make it. Lord help us to be gracious to them not thinking we are better.

7. Dami

May 5, 2017 at 7:14 pm

so I try to tell my hubby that beating my son so hard is making him hardened as I literally have to beat him in like manner before he listens to me when am alone with him. He gets upset and calls me silly and a host of deragotory names for cautioning him. am quiet, then I wonder for how long and I return the anointing in same manner. suffice to say it becomes a free for all. marriage is truly by Grace

• Regina

May 5, 2017 at 9:21 pm

What happens when you can no longer beat him? Corporal punishment is most effective when it is used sparingly. Better results might be gotten from taking something away that he loves (tv, video games, party, visiting friends, toys) and rewarding good behaviour. Do a little reading on reinforcement (+ve & -ve) as well as punishment (also +ve & -ve). The key is that both parents must agree and must be consistent.

• caramel chic

May 5, 2017 at 11:56 pm

@Dami you should read the book Shepherding a childs heart by Paul Tripp
      It will change your life!! By one for hubby and give him as a gift. Ask him to read it and then go through your views togehter about the book

8. @bgis

May 6, 2017 at 1:49 am

@Dami respectfully you need both wisdom and knowledge-educate yourself better on setting boundaries and teaching children to self discipline- buy books and read reputable websites. Look for the wisdom to see your son in a positive light, empathise with his age and developmental capabilities and pray for the ability to handle each issue and instance in the right way. Let what you do come from a place of love not of who’s right or arguing with your husband. We’re all human but as a mother you should be capable of beating your child to that degree. Think of the Yoruba proverb that says you should discipline with one hand and draw the child close with the other. A mother should be a safe haven, patient and her childs biggest cheerleader, defender and supporter. ‘Beating’ (as opposed to the odd smack) your child is pressing a lid on a pressure cooker – you’re not dealing with real issues. Be a model of what you want to see. Good luck and God bless