News

I Never Benefited from My Son’s Ill-Gotten Wealth – Kidnap Kingpin Evans’ Father

BellaNaija.com

Evans

In an interview with New Telegraph, Stephen Onwuamadike, the father of arrested kidnap kingpin Chukwudi Dumeme Onwuamadike a.k.a Evans said he never benefited from his son’s ill-gotten wealth.

Stephen said that his ex-wife misled their son, who he described as “a good boy,” adding that he (Evans) is being manipulated spiritually by his mother.

Stephen said that he is living from hand to mouth, adding that he sells pigs to survive.

“His mother started manipulating him when he was only three years old; look at where it has got him. I don’t even have his phone number. I’m pleading with the Nigerian authorities to have mercy on him and give him a second chance. He was misdirected and misled by his mother. I heard about all the millions, and I said to myself, do I have such manner of rich son and the roof over my house is leaking. I now survive by selling pigs,” Stephen said.

Speaking at his country home at Akammili, Umudim, Nnewi, Anambra State, Stephen disclosed that since he got the news of his son’s arrest through a phone call, he had not been able to sleep.

Evans’ Father’s House | Photo Credit: New Telegraph

Stephen, who gave Evans’ name as Chukwudumeje, said he was a successful businessman and millionaire in the early 80s and a member of the popular People’s Club of Nigeria.

“I was devastated when I heard the news through a telephone call; since that call, I had not been able to sleep. I believe in a straight forward and honest life. If I noticed someone is not honest, I run away from the person.

When my business was thriving, I did business with white people. I was one of the early millionaires that emerged from this town until things went wrong courtesy of my first wife in 1985. She caused me so many problems and eventually caused my financial ruins. In fact, she brought me down to where I am today. I’m suffering and I can barely put food on my table,” he said.

He said he lost control of Evans after his ex wife ran away from their home.

“My estranged wife kept interfering in his academics. You won’t believe that my son, Chukwudumeje (Evans) has not visited home since 2008. The last time I saw him was 10 years ago. I asked him the sort of business he was into.

He said he was into drug trafficking. I advised him to desist because it was an illicit business and the law was against it. I told him plainly that it was better to be involved in a legitimate business and wait for God’s blessings.

I did good business and it thrived; I was very successful. I have travelled to so many countries of the world in the course of my business,” Stephen said.

Stephen noted that after the meeting with Evans, they didn’t see again until his arrest.

Chidolie Onwuamadike, Evans’ half brother also blamed his (Evans) mother for what he turned out to be, adding that if Evans had followed their father’s advice, he would not have gotten into crime.

“As brothers, we don’t even interact at all. I don’t have his number and my heart is pained because he is such a loving, nice guy from the little I know of him,” he said.

Evans’ stepmother Etty Onwuamadike, said: “Chukwudumeje was a nice boy when he lived with me. The only gift I gave him years back was the Holy Bible. I don’t want my son to die. I’m still convinced he will serve God.”

1. mrs chidukane

June 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Chai

2. Bee

June 13, 2017 at 11:35 pm

All of them are blaming his mother and his ex wife..he choose the type of life he wants to live..

3. Anon

June 13, 2017 at 11:35 pm

What a sad story.

4. nnenne

June 14, 2017 at 12:41 am

Side effects of a dysfunctional family. …broken home.
    Evans mom and the Dad apparently went through a bitter divorce and couldn’t “hear” each other after.
    Lessons learned :
    When a couple makes a decision of bringing a child into this world,
    They should work out their differences for that child’s sake. Give that relationship 100% commitment. Both the man and the woman! The children are always the one that pay the price when parents are at each other “throat.
    Especially, a male child, who will feel like a stranger, a sense of loss, in his fathers home. The step mom is now in charge. No one will be like your mom.
    Sad indeed!

• Weezy

June 14, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Divorce doesn’t lead to.armed robbery and kidnapping.

Nigerian logic. My god.

5. Asa

June 14, 2017 at 1:32 am

From his Father’s house, I agree he used to be a rich man back on the day. That style of house is kinda a symbol of old money but if it doesn’t get a lock of paint in the future then it’s clear the money has left the building.

6. survivor

June 14, 2017 at 2:20 am

Igbo man, but if he was a good man,u will claim u train him well…
    U blaming the mother now cos this criminal chose to disgrace his generation bah?

7. Nurumba

June 14, 2017 at 5:38 am

And the father lied

8. Ankara

June 14, 2017 at 7:47 am

A bad child is the mother’said while a good and prosperous child is belongs to the father. African fathers and their thoughts. Papa you may be right to an extent but this is not the time for blame talk.

9. Pearl B

June 14, 2017 at 9:07 am

wii you keep kwayet! Anything blame mother for a GROWN adult’s decision and actions. Women are really positioned to never catch a break in our culture and its pathetic!

Husband cheats: You will bear it . Marriage is a learning institution and don’t forget the wife is the keeper of the home in my language they say “wa gba gbe, ile oko ile eko.”

Husband beats you: “Don’t provoke your husband.” in my language they say ” Obe ti baba le kin je, iya le kin say” (Food that the head of household does not eat, the wife should not cook.)

Children mess up: “They took after their mother”, in my language they say “ifun mama eh lo je” (Took a bite out of mother’s inside)

How do we change this narrative!

PS: I am Yoruba so speaking from what I’ve been exposed to, not trying to start a Tribal war,
    Ese, Dalu, Nagode,

10. Paul Adeyemo

June 14, 2017 at 9:26 am

Feminism wrecking home since 1960

• Oye

June 14, 2017 at 1:15 pm

And your stupidity has been wrecking your brain since 1960 too.

11. omalichavicky

June 14, 2017 at 10:01 am

It’s a pity

12. Ann1

June 14, 2017 at 10:06 am

Typical African father excuse. Always blaming the mom when a child goes bad. Our father’s have forgotten the role they play in parenting, especially in the upbringing of their sons. I blame both parents for failing to raise their child right, but most of all I blame that evil spawn. Because he is a man now, and clearly knows his right from wrong. Show that’s man no mercy!

13. kkay

June 14, 2017 at 12:14 pm

The father is not lying!
    I am a woman and I know some women spoil their children.
    Some women are bad and spoil their children. In as much as we live in a patriarchal society, women are not always ‘saintly’. A woman I know very well encouraged her son to join campus cult for protection and she hid it from her husband who was a ‘no-nonsense’ man. When the boy and his group were rustucated from school and it made headlines in the national dailies and on television, the dad was devastated! That was when the woman confessed misguiding her son. The man died of heart attack.

14. RK

June 15, 2017 at 7:32 am

Now the family is playing the emotional card. Oshey!!!! He will serve God from his Jail cell. Anyones Saul can become paul but theres a penalty for evil deeds. He cant escape that

15. nairabetcashBack

June 17, 2017 at 8:26 am

no mata what is said about him i think He should be An Asset To Police and the Federal government , if possible employ to work secretly with police to uncover lots of hidden strategies that this people employ .
    How was He able to carryout all this crime in lagos without getting cut for many years.
    Hes story is going to be an eye opener to our security operatives on ways to stop this dreaded crime call kidnapping in Nigeria

16. Tony Meche

July 2, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Before u said anything concerning this case please! pray not to be involved in this type of problems. Mr. Onwuamadike, I know how u fill take hearth this world is to deep, please ignore everybody’s comments and put everything in the hands of God. when devil enter onto a family it’s always a big problem. devil come to take and to steal, leave that evil woman. Thank ur God that you still alive. that type of devilish woman is everywhere, but what defeated them is God. hold onto ur God. Chukwudumeje is been manipulated by that evil womam and I’m sure she is suffering it by now. We heard your comments and we know the truth. As long as we know Nnewi people, that blood is not from Nnewi. The highest mistake u did is that u leave u village and get married across the river everyone should take correction.